Silver Spirit Transatlantic Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale November 9, 2015

spinnaker2

Here are a couple more visuals from Candy on the Silver Spirit.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,337 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

First, here is a picture of a building across from the Mercado Central. Second is a parrot in a tree enjoying a meal Of palm seeds inn the midst of city life in Malaga.:

Nov2015PixsA27_zps2p0nyjv2.jpg

Nov2015PixsA28_zpsfwvytsvf.jpg

Nice market pics! Malaga is where George , our son Jon, and I had a near death experience as our rental car totally died on the freeway to Ronda. No shoulders on freeways there. We were able to coast downhill to an exit fortunately.

the first sea day today, and rocking and rolling a little.

morning spent at the cooking demo where chef david prepared paella and we were served a small sample of the food we purchased yesterday.

a large turn out for the demonstration, far more than the 23 hardy souls who woke up so early yesterday to go to the market.

we are steaming on to funchal.

many pax around the pool soaking up the sun. At lunch a buffet was set up by the pool, with a paella and other items.

lots of lectures today and certainly plenty to keep one stimulated whether you want to be infused with knowledge from a speaker or obtain it on your own.

there is an art person onboard (other than michael judge), Dr. Parker.

he has a laundry list of presentations, including how to invest in art.

another speaker is a formerf astronaut and yet another is a former state department fellow. the wine expert is also aboard.

we walked through the boutiques which are filled with displays of pricey jewelry, designer(?) clothing and perfumes.

not much traffic there.

the first sea day today, and rocking and rolling a little. morning spent at the cooking demo where chef david prepared paella and we were served a small sample of the food we purchased yesterday.

there is an art person onboard (other than michael judge), Dr. Parker.

he has a laundry list of presentations, including how to invest in art.

we walked through the boutiques which are filled with displays of pricey jewelry, designer(?) clothing and perfumes.

not much traffic there.

Appreciate this detailed update from Candy on the Silver Spirit. BUT, speakers pushing "investments" in art worry me a little. Hearing, however, about "pricey jewelry, designer(?) clothing and perfumes" would be a reason to avoid such sales "opportunities"??!!

Two pictures below!

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 25,326 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Here are the two pictures from Candy this morning on the ship's cooking demo. Enjoy!!:

Nov2015PixsA1%203_zpsywzpoarg.jpg

Nov2015PixsA2%202_zpsggdqjjcp.jpg

Almost at Funchal.

Lovely dinner in La Terrazza last night, but it was the company that made the dinner great.

Awoke to the news of Paris. This is terrible news and a tragedy for all. The taking of life does not solve anything, in my opinion.

Cooking demo this morning with chef David and chef Grant.

Foods of Madeira, scabbard fish, Madeira cake and chicken livers. Those are all separate dishes. :-)

We are to arrive around 2 pm.

Almost at Funchal. Awoke to the news of Paris. This is terrible news and a tragedy for all. The taking of life does not solve anything, in my opinion. Cooking demo this morning with chef David and chef Grant. Foods of Madeira, scabbard fish, Madeira cake and chicken livers. Those are all separate dishes. We are to arrive around 2 pm.

Appreciate these updates!! Below are pictures to match up and illustrate what Candy has outlined. The tragedy in Paris is a whole other discussion that does not exactly fit here. BUT, I might post a few thoughts on the "Cooler" discussion board.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,119 views for this posting.

Here are six visuals from Candy and the Silver Spirit sailing. This includes being at sea for sunrise, Chef David and Chef Grant doing a cooking demo, etc. Also, shown is a a glass of Madeira!! Very fitting for the cruise stop upcoming.:

Nov2015PixsA6_zpsxxxsiukq.jpg

Nov2015PixsA5_zpsfcagoa74.jpg

Nov2015PixsA4_zpsenrp1x6v.jpg

Nov2015PixsA1_zpsbjsmxeca.jpg

Nov2015PixsA2_zpsqwdjtycx.jpg

Nov2015PixsA3_zpsn7wrgxsw.jpg

Just learned we are leaving Funchal at 5 am tomorrow instead of the afternoon.

All tours tomorrow are cancelled. We will proceed on to ft Lauderdale.

Apparently we were to anchor off shore and tender in, but the swells expected tomorrow have precluded that plan.

Unclear as to why we don't have dock space, but it is what it is.

Right now we are wedged between Queen Elizabeth and azamara ships alongsid the quay.

We arrived around 2 pm. Beautiful day in Funchal.

Just learned we are leaving Funchal at 5 am tomorrow instead of the afternoon. All tours tomorrow are cancelled. We will proceed on to ft Lauderdale. Apparently we were to anchor off shore and tender in, but the swells expected tomorrow have precluded that plan. Unclear as to why we don't have dock space, but it is what it is. Right now we are wedged between Queen Elizabeth and azamara ships alongsid the quay. We arrived around 2 pm. Beautiful day in Funchal.

Sorry to hear that you are missing this important time in Funchal. We have not been there. Would love to see and explore there. Must be disappointing, but hopefully you will still get lots of pictures today, plus having more info/details to share later.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 188,955 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We left Madeira much later than what we were originally told. The schedule was initially 5 am, then adjusted to 6 am and then we were told 7 am, but it was well after 8 when we left. I haven't learned the reason for the change.

As we left the Crystal Serenity went out of the harbor, and then came back in, perhaps to occupy our berthing space.

Yesterday we watched a group of young sailors learning to sail in the somewhat calm protected harbor. One could hear their shouts of "Listo" right before they came about tacking across the little harbor in groups. A solitary man in a small skiff yelled commands to them. It was very cute to watch. At day's end they paddled their tiny, tiny sailboats back in. Although it felt as if there was enough wind to sail in, perhaps this was the method to tire the young sailors out and ensure a quiet evening for their parents.

We had planned our outing in Funchal for today, but it wasn't to be. We have been here before, I like it so much I looked at real estate.

We are underway for Ft. Lauderdale. Again, we have been told we are trying to beat some rough weather bearing down on us.

The sea is fairly calm, it's sunny and the pool area is quickly filling up with the sun worshippers.

Lots of activities and lectures planned and listed in the Chronicles, including arts and crafts.

I am not sure what arts and crafts involves....potholders?

We left Madeira much later than what we were originally told. The schedule was initially 5 am, then adjusted to 6 am and then we were told 7 am, but it was well after 8 when we left. I haven't learned the reason for the change. As we left the Crystal Serenity went out of the harbor, and then came back in, perhaps to occupy our berthing space. Yesterday we watched a group of young sailors learning to sail in the somewhat calm protected harbor. We are underway for Ft. Lauderdale.

Below are some of the visuals from Candy on the Silver Spirit as folks are getting ready for six sea days crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 206,530 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From Madeira, here is a sampling of some visuals. This includes young sailors learning the ways of the sea, a touristy galleon and the Crystal Serenity waiting for the Silver Spirit to leave.

Nov2015PixsA2%201_zpsjcihttsz.jpg

Nov2015PixsA5%201_zpsbdnlsig4.jpg

Nov2015PixsA6%201_zps2jbrp33e.jpg

Nov2015PixsA4%201_zpspqvkymvy.jpg

Nov2015PixsA3%201_zpsll7fzka1.jpg

Nov2015PixsA1%201_zps4resnujz.jpg

Good to hear that the Embtsam party is enjoying the voyage so far. The good old Atlantic flatters to deceive. Your running ahead of rough weather mirrors our experience in March 2014, in the same sector, when we had to miss Agadir on the Wind, because of the risk of getting stuck in port.

We depart for Barbados for the Amazon on the Whisper this week and hope our spell in the Atlantic will be less troublesome.

Happy sailings to you all

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Bon voyage Master Echo -- we hope you have a marvelous adventure.

I wanted to mention how great our butler and cabin attendant are on this voyage. Marc Anthony and Janet have done a spectacular job. We are so pleased with their attentive service.

I'm pleased to report that there will be two table tennis tournaments starting tomorrow. There are at least 6 people on board who play, so it should be lots of fun.

DT - I have come down with the usual kennel cough and wish I could get the same shot that they give to dogs before boarding them! Dinner in the cabin this evening in the hopes that it will be gone tomorrow in time for table tennis.

If it's any help I had to see the Dr on the Whisper as I was coughing. She gave me some cough mixture with codeine which really helped to deaden it down and I was able to sleep ( plus husband and people in next cabin!!). Expensive option but it did help.

CD Moss Hills has done an excellent job organizing table tennis tournaments. This morning there were 7 of us to begin with and then another gentleman joined the group. We're playing in a fairly sheltered place and haven't lost a ball overboard yet.

This evening will be Venetian night and formal night. It will be interesting to see when they announce the passengers with the most days whether they start at over 500 again this year.

Now that Candy and those on the Silver Spirit have a large number of sea-days upcoming, you might do some checking on your iPad or whatever device you have been using for pictures, e-mail, etc. I would suggest going to the tech folks/staff on the ship to see if they have any ideas/tips. There is likely to be a staff member and/or passenger who can provide some ideas, suggestions. Are you sending pictures taken from your iPad? Might be good to check on the setting for your iPad, re-start it, etc.??

Most of the pictures sent to me from Candy via e-mail have come in at a pixel size of about 320 × 214 (0.1 MP) or about 32KB or smaller. Might check on your e-mail setting when sending out pictures. My AOL, as an example, allows a size choice for small, medium, large or original size for which quality/size is utilized when sending out pictures. More pixels equals better quality.

Yes, for Candy, Mark and others, college football is getting exciting this weekend and next. Among the best games on Saturday will be Michigan (8-2) at Penn State (7-3), Northwestern at Wisconsin (both at 8-2), Michigan State (9-1) at Ohio State (10-0), Baylor (8-1) at Oklahoma State (10-0) and TCU at Oklahoma (both 9-1). For the weekend after Thanksgiving, there is Oklahoma at Oklahoma State, Baylor at TCU, Alabama at Auburn, Florida at Florida State, Notre Dame at Stanford and, of course, Ohio State at Michigan. Lots of exciting college football upcoming!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,206 views for this posting.