Heads up, Internet dreadful on the eurodam

cruz chic

Usually I've found the Internet to be pretty good on ships. It's been quite bad the whole two weeks. It's been down for two days now. I risked life and limb to come ashore in grand Cayman so I could check Internet. I likely won't be able to come back to this thread because I won't be able to access it:rolleyes:.

Usually I've found the Internet to be pretty good on ships. It's been quite bad the whole two weeks. It's been down for two days now. I risked life and limb to come ashore in grand Cayman so I could check Internet. I likely won't be able to come back to this thread because I won't be able to access it:rolleyes:.

Thanks for the heads up on Eurodam. Hopefully it will not be so bad on Oosterdam........Maybe I should be happy HAL did our Eurodam cruise wrong;)

I pray that you make it back on to the ship safely!!

Joanie

There's a Tortuga rum store near the tender dock. Buy a small, but not too small bottle of rum. Also buy two rum cakes. (You'll think that's too much cake, but after you eat the first one, you'll realize that you might just want some more cake.) I prefer the traditional flavor, but you might like the chocolate one.

Grab some juice. Alternate between swigs of juice and gulps of rum. This should help to smooooth out the tender ride. When you get back to the ship, reward yourself with some cake!

Godspeed and safe home!

Could you please tell a bit more of your "...risked life and limb to come ashore in grand Cayman..."

Scott & Karen

I'm not Cruz Chic nor am I on the Eurodam, but I suspect that the swells are so bad, that tendering is a big problem. The last two times we were at Grand Cayman, we almost did not make it back to ship due to tendering issues. We floated around in the water for over an hour before it was safe to get off the tender. I am just guessing.

Could you please tell a bit more of your "...risked life and limb to come ashore in grand Cayman..."

Scott & Karen

Also not Cruz Chic, but it's a seriously snotty (which is a real nautical term in Maine) time of year.

I'm not Cruz Chic nor am I on the Eurodam, but I suspect that the swells are so bad, that tendering is a big problem. The last two times we were at Grand Cayman, we almost did not make it back to ship due to tendering issues. We floated around in the water for over an hour before it was safe to get off the tender. I am just guessing.

The one time I was in Grand Cayman - they were literally pulling passengers out of the tenders on shore. I ended up with a rotator cuff injury. We are due to be in GC on our next cruise -- we are staying on board.

There's a Tortuga rum store near the tender dock. Buy a small, but not too small bottle of rum. Also buy two rum cakes. (You'll think that's too much cake, but after you eat the first one, you'll realize that you might just want some more cake.) I prefer the traditional flavor, but you might like the chocolate one.

Grab some juice. Alternate between swigs of juice and gulps of rum. This should help to smooooth out the tender ride. When you get back to the ship, reward yourself with some cake!

Godspeed and safe home!

I should have tried that. It was pretty quick trip ashore. The swells weren't great but nothing like last year thankfully. Internet is working again on the ship for five minutes.

I should have tried that. It was pretty quick trip ashore. The swells weren't great but nothing like last year thankfully. Internet is working again on the ship for five minutes.

Glad you had a relatively uneventful tendering experience.

You mentioned that the Internet did not work. I was on the Eurodam Oct 18-25, There were a few times that I couldn't connect, but a few minutes later and no problem.

I don't think I posted anywhere that it "didn't work". It was down the whole day before yesterday and part of yesterday. You were off the ship by that time. They couldn't access onboard systems at all. Perhaps you can contact Hal if you don't believe me. I'm just reporting what I found personally. I have no reason to lie about it. Everyone's experience is different. There are many people on the ship with bad experiences with the Internet. I think you were lucky.

>SNIP< Perhaps you can contact Hal if you don't believe me. I'm just reporting what I found personally. I have no reason to lie about it. Everyone's experience is different. There are many people on the ship with bad experiences with the Internet. I think you were lucky.

(bolding mine)

As you say, everyone's experience is different. Why should another poster not be able to relate their experience? Yes, a different week, but still -- that was their experience. No one suggested that you had lied. No one suggested they did not believe you. Simply stated a different experience.

Nice to see you posting cruz chic. Looks like internet is working for you now, happily :)

Yes, I'm happy to report its working today. I've been given multiple extra minutes back due to the poor performance. Would love to know how people get almost an hour back to their accounts when the Internet is working perfectly.the point of this thread is to make posters aware that there "could be" problems. It's important for me to keep in close contact with my family due to important issues at home. I'm not using it to update my Facebook status. If Internet is not used for important issues that's a different story.

Edited by cruz chic

Yes, I'm happy to report its working today. I've been given multiple extra minutes back due to the poor performance. Would love to know how people get almost an hour back to their accounts when the Internet is working perfectly.the point of this thread is to make posters aware that there "could be" problems. It's important for me to keep in close contact with my family due to important issues at home. I'm not using it to update my Facebook status. If Internet is not used for important issues that's a different story.

Glad to hear you got minutes back but you don't have long left on your cruise so I hope you can put them to use.

I think those of us that purchase internet all have important reasons to do it whether it be work, family, email, banking, whatever.

May it keep working well for you and crossing my fingers it works well for me in a few weeks.

(bolding mine)

As you say, everyone's experience is different. Why should another poster not be able to relate their experience? Yes, a different week, but still -- that was their experience. No one suggested that you had lied. No one suggested they did not believe you. Simply stated a different experience.

A very thoughtful new Avatar. Many of us still appreciate it.

Indeed. As Poppy Campaign began officially today, we are seeing more and more recognition of this. Facebook has been a good indication of that today. (Oops, guess I shouldn't have mentioned the F word.:D But you get the drift.)

Indeed. As Poppy Campaign began officially today, we are seeing more and more recognition of this. Facebook has been a good indication of that today. (Oops, guess I shouldn't have mentioned the F word.:D But you get the drift.)

I change my avatar on CC to a poppy every year. Thank you for noticing.

Godspeed and safe home!

Hi POA1

I hope you come back to this thread. We missed the rum and cakes last time in GC--could you tell me where the Tortuga rum store is--exactly? I am thinking it is in the mall (under Margaritaville?) but I don't remember seeing any signs. Really want to get there this time--if the tenders are running!

Thanks for any help

ML

Hi POA1

I hope you come back to this thread. We missed the rum and cakes last time in GC--could you tell me where the Tortuga rum store is--exactly? I am thinking it is in the mall (under Margaritaville?) but I don't remember seeing any signs. Really want to get there this time--if the tenders are running!

Thanks for any help

ML

I believe you are correct. I remember seeing the signs but didn't go in. I make an easy killer rum cake this is so much better than those.

Glad to hear you got minutes back but you don't have long left on your cruise so I hope you can put them to use.

I think those of us that purchase internet all have important reasons to do it whether it be work, family, email, banking, whatever.

May it keep working well for you and crossing my fingers it works well for me in a few weeks.

Interesting. I wonder why Hal bothers to have the social networking package under their unlimited plan If that is true. Surely they must have some that use that package. I make sure my banking is taken care of ahead of time. I've heard of people having security breaches while using their bank on board. That would make me nervous.

Hi POA1

Thanks for any help

ML

When you come off the tender dock, head to North Church Street, the first big Street you come to. You'll almost be right at the store. The store is on the side of the street that faces the water. It's noted by the little map pin in this screen capture from my phone.

1f8d866807058f0ef33c25d6389c1799.jpg

It's pretty easy to spot. There's a big sign on the building.

Edited by POA1