Dining room screaming baby

lprime60

We were recenty on a cruise and had the 6 pm dining and the table next to us had a baby that would just let out a loud scream several times during dinner. Nothing was said by any of the the staff to the parents and this happened every night. Why is it that we saw people being put out on formal nite for wearing shorts. And no one cared about babys screaming.

Rude people can be really annoying. We had our two year old on a cruise many years back. Along with our 7, and 3 year olds. The two year old decided he didn't like the dining room and would raise a ruckus every night. My husband and I didn't eat dinner together the whole darn cruise because one of us had to take him out every night.

Fast forward to a cruise a year ago...not on Carnival, btw...and in the dining room every night, this baby AND toddler screamed the entire dinner. We were at a large table and on that side of the table, it was impossible to have a conversation with anyone other than the person on either side of you because all you could hear were the screaming children.

I don't understand people who don't realize that it's rude to let your child disrupt other people's dinners. Sorry you had that.

Now, if it's just an occassional scream, but otherwise okay, there's not a lot to be done about that.

That was really too bad you felt it ruined your dinner.

Perhaps next time you can asked to be moved.

Staff are not about to alienate these self absorbed parents who don't have the sense to realize that their screaming child is disruptive to diners around them.

I agree a couple of screams is one thing, but if the child screams a lot I would ask to be moved or to please move the offending child's family.

Preferably, them, especially if we like our table location.

Kids are kids and this will happen pretty often I would imagine.

I do see some parents trying to calm, beg, bribe, etc.... to get their child to behave more appropriately; unfortunately it doesn't always work and I do feel empathy for them.

My first child at the age of 2, for no apparent reason let out a blood curdling scream in a large, crowded restaurant on a Friday night.

Every sound in that bustling place stopped to dead silence and we felt hundreds of eyes upon us.

OMG....we were shocked and embarrassed...after a few seconds sounds returned, but yikes that was an experience I will never forget.

I may get a bit of revenge though, for he & his wife just had their first last week and they had Twins....hehehe......

I don't understand people who don't realize that it's rude to let your child disrupt other people's dinners. Sorry you had that.

Now, if it's just an occassional scream, but otherwise okay, there's not a lot to be done about that.

Agree! Letting a child who is disrupting the meals of others stay in the dining room is rude. Wonder if they do the same at restaurants at home .....???

No sooner, the parents did not do all they could to stop it and yes we could have requested another table. I have children who cried at times and yes babys will be babies they don't know any better. Its up to us parents to have the decency to do the right thing. Its not like they had no other options where to eat. They chose to disturb other people. And it wasn't just us.

I wonder if it would be feasible to have either two separate dining rooms or two separate dining times, one for those with young children on the other for everyone else.

Edited by Babycat

There usually aren't enough children in the dining room to warrant a seperate room for children. It's up to the parents to either have disciplined children or to eat somewhere else. I recently went out to diner with my niece and her husband and two children and they were horrible. the kids screamed the whole time and the parents just sat there and ate like it wasn't happening. It seems parents nowadays are more afraid of not being friends with their kids and making them angry then they are of raising up respectful children.

I'm sure the parents were doing the best they could, It doesn't sound from your description that it was nonstop. Babies are babies, most of us have been there and extend compassion.

I think you guys should've requested a different table if you were disturbed.

Obviously the parents weren't doing their best otherwise they would have taken the screaming child out of the MDR for the consideration of others. Yes, babies are babies and parents should recognize that and not put their babies where they can cause grief to others.

A "scream of delight" is different from a prolonged screaming tantrum.....kids are kids....sometimes, you can't get your babies to behave. If it's prolonged and regular, they should remove the child and themselves from the situation.

A "scream of delight" is different from a prolonged screaming tantrum.....kids are kids....sometimes, you can't get your babies to behave. If it's prolonged and regular, they should remove the child and themselves from the situation.

It may be a different pitch and sound but it's all irritating to me. :mad:

I think a little more info is needed....

Were the "loud scream several times" two or three brief whines over a 90 minute dinner? Or prolonged crying fits several times? I've brought a young child into the dining room during early seating and if he were disruptive for more than a minute or so, I would have removed him. Like it or not, Carnival definitely targets families. Not that I would ever defend rude parents, but you do take you chances.

Now that my kids are older, a few random child noises/whines would never bother me... especially during early seating... a full blown hissy fit would be something different.

Just my opinion.....

Gusman

I totally agree. My DD was a very well behaved baby but did have a happy screech. If it only happened once every 15 minutes or so and maybe three times over the course of the meal, no we didn't remove her. It would only last a second. My DS on the other hand was horrible. After removing myself and him three times from restaurants, I just gave up eating out for two years.

The OP doesn't really go into detail on how much screaming was involved. It sounds almost like my DD and I get the feeling the OP just doesn't want any children who make any kind of noise (all of them) in the MDR. I could very well be mistaken, but without more details this is what it sounds like to me. I am not a parent of young children anymore. My youngest is now almost 18. I agree that I also hate loud children while I'm trying to enjoy a nice meal, but a happy screech every once in a while is forgivable.

Edited by E&B

the table next to us had a baby that would just let out a loud scream several times during dinner.

A loud scream, several times during dinner is much better than a baby screaming the whole time.

Nothing was said by any of the the staff to the parents

Quieting children is a parental responsibility not a cruise staff responsibility.

Why is it that we saw people being put out on formal nite for wearing shorts. And no one cared about babys screaming.

Apples to apples. A screaming baby is not the same as wearing shorts to formal night.

I would have insisted the waiter or dining manager remove the screaming baby. If they didn't , their tip would have been severely decreased and a negative comment card would have been submitted.

The waiters don't have the authority to do this. It is up to the inconvenienced diner to bring up to the Maitre D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally agree. My DD was a very well behaved baby but did have a happy screech. If it only happened once every 15 minutes or so and maybe three times over the course of the meal, no we didn't remove her. It would only last a second. My DS on the other hand was horrible. After removing myself and him three times from restaurants, I just gave up eating out for two years.

The OP doesn't really go into detail on how much screaming was involved. It sounds almost like my DD and I get the feeling the OP just doesn't want any children who make any kind of noise (all of them) in the MDR. I could very well be mistaken, but without more details this is what it sounds like to me. I am not a parent of young children anymore. My youngest is now almost 18. I agree that I also hate loud children while I'm trying to enjoy a nice meal, but a happy screech every once in a while is forgivable.

we don't mind children, it was a loud screeching scream about every 10 mins. For 7 nights

I think it's really sad that people are so hard on parents. NO one is perfect. Now, I do think that if it had been a prolonged temper tantrum by the child then perhaps the parent should have taken the child out, but the OP didn't say that.

Honestly, it's not easy to be a parent (I'm not one) and I can't imagine how difficult it would be go to out to eat on a vacation or anywhere for that matter and hoping your young child, who may or may not even know better, doesn't make a peep at dinner. It's not like you can tell your young child "ok, you can't cry now for the next hour we're going to dinner"

People are so quick to get angry and judge the parents, instead of putting themselves in their shoes.

If a fussy child bothers you that much, perhaps cruising on a cruise line that calls themselves a family cruise line is not for you?

I'm sure the parents were doing the best they could, It doesn't sound from your description that it was nonstop. Babies are babies, most of us have been there and extend compassion.

In fact, all of us have been there.

In addition to the young people, there may have been old people who were disturbing to other diners, but I doubt they were moved. These things can be a nuisance wherever humans dwell, because it's the nature of our species.

I would have insisted the waiter or dining manager remove the screaming baby. If they didn't , their tip would have been severely decreased and a negative comment card would have been submitted.

Really??? Why not just ask the parent yourself to quiet the child if it's such a distraction for you .....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk