It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Thanks' date=' I'll probably just wear them anyway. They're long, but not over the top ball gowns. I'm not usually known for being under dressed. LOL;)[/quote']

Enjoy Ma Bell

I'll wear my new dresses although only Florida-formal [emoji156][emoji150]

What I do hope is that Celebrity does make these evenings festive, because if I wanted the same-old-same old boring for 14 nights I wouldn't spring for a cruise.

Linda

Question - Do you think that the dress code decision will be revenue positive, negative, or neutral? There are a fair number of people who book Aqua class or Suites in order to get Smart Casual every night. In addition, there are many people who book specialty dining on formal nights so that they don't need to be as dressy. All those people spend more money. Ostensibly it's to save on the one extra suitcase that held the formal attire, but two nights for two people in a $50/pp specialty dining venue probably costs more than the 1 extra suitcase.

I think that the passengers definitely benefit, since people in the MDR can dress more casually without paying extra. Do you think enough new passengers will come over from the more casual lines like NCL, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean to make the new dress code a revenue winner for Celebrity?

I think it will be positive because it has a greater chance of bringing in newbies who like to dress stylishly, but are not interested in traditional formalwear. They have no accrued perks or status. Hook 'em young and keep 'em coming back.

Now, I certainly do not have access to the trove of data Celebrity has or to their numbers sheet, but it makes sense to me that these changes are focused on expanding the brand for new clientele; remember, within the next few years they will be debuting new ships and will need to attract new cruisers to fill the berths. That means broadening the appeal of the offering. At the very least I do not think they will do anything that would be a net negative to the bottom line. If their data suggested people would spend more and wanted more formal evenings, perhaps they would have gone that route.

That is an unusual RCI sailing. What port was it out of? On Oasis this past May I would say 10% wore tux, 35% in suits. The rest were smart casual on the 2 formal nights. You do know that Royal has a new class of ships that does not have formal nights at all? I don't expect they will continue having formal evenings fiction on the rest of the fleet much longer.

Not at all. All of the Royal cruises I've been on the formal nights were very much adhered too.

J... I just find it interesting that it seems that many of the posters who agree with the decision are infrequent cruisers on Celebrity. ...

I just find it interesting that some of those who are are clearly upset at the relaxation of the dress code in the MDR are infrequent diners in there, choosing to dine in Aqua or Luminae :rolleyes:

Edited by DYKWIA

Not at all. All of the Royal cruises I've been on the formal nights were very much adhered too.

I see your most recent sailings on Royal have been from European homeports. My last five on Royal, four have been on Oasis class ships with one being out of a European port. That might account for the difference.

Edited by Charles4515

It is quite obvious from some of the comments I've read about this (FB & elsewhere) that some people equate clothing with class.

I only worry about me. I don't care if the people seated next to me are wearing Wal-Mart or Versace, it's their behavior that shows their class, not their attire. And the people wearing ball gowns and tuxedos who look down their noses and talk badly (publicly, even!) about those wearing what they consider 'cheap' clothes are the epitome of crass, not class.

The people sitting next to you that you feel are attired 'inappropriately' and 'ruining your vacation'? Maybe their luggage was lost by the airline, and this is all they have. Maybe the cruising that you do 2-3 times a year is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for them that they've saved years to be able to afford. Maybe they are wearing the best clothes they own.

Who cares? Treat everyone with respect. Enjoy your vacation and don't let what someone else is wearing "ruin" your experience.

I've only sailed on Celebrity once, but we had a wonderful vacation. I've also cruised with Princess, Carnival & Royal. And we've met classy people on all of them. I never noticed what those classy people were wearing. And post-cruise, I can honestly say I can't remember what anyone wore. Sometimes I can't remember what *I* wore.

After our last cruise, we pretty much decided that Celebrity is our line of choice moving forward, because it was hands-down the best cruise experience we had. We sailed in Aqua previously, and no formal nights at dinner was a bonus. We're sailing the Connie in February, and I can guarantee you that there will be NO formal nights, and NO 'chic' nights, and that people will be wearing shorts & tshirts in the dining room, because when they're not in the dining room they're going to be wearing mostly nothing.

There will be people dressing up on theme nights, and we may join them occasionally, but most of the time we're going to be wearing nothing as well.

And these nudists are among the classiest, friendliest, and most accepting and wonderful people I know.

Edited by Jobeth66

It is quite obvious from some of the comments I've read about this (FB & elsewhere) that some people equate clothing with class.

I only worry about me. I don't care if the people seated next to me are wearing Wal-Mart or Versace, it's their behavior that shows their class, not their attire. And the people wearing ball gowns and tuxedos who look down their noses and talk badly (publicly, even!) about those wearing what they consider 'cheap' clothes are the epitome of crass, not class.

The people sitting next to you that you feel are attired 'inappropriately' and 'ruining your vacation'? Maybe their luggage was lost by the airline, and this is all they have. Maybe the cruising that you do 2-3 times a year is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for them that they've saved years to be able to afford. Maybe they are wearing the best clothes they own.

Who cares? Treat everyone with respect. Enjoy your vacation and don't let what someone else is wearing "ruin" your experience.

I've only sailed on Celebrity once, but we had a wonderful vacation. I've also cruised with Princess, Carnival & Royal. And we've met classy people on all of them. I never noticed what those classy people were wearing. And post-cruise, I can honestly say I can't remember what anyone wore. Sometimes I can't remember what *I* wore.

After our last cruise, we pretty much decided that Celebrity is our line of choice moving forward, because it was hands-down the best cruise experience we had. We sailed in Aqua previously, and no formal nights at dinner was a bonus. We're sailing the Connie in February, and I can guarantee you that there will be NO formal nights, and NO 'chic' nights, and that people will be wearing shorts & tshirts in the dining room, because when they're not in the dining room they're going to be wearing mostly nothing.

There will be people dressing up on theme nights, and we may join them occasionally, but most of the time we're going to be wearing nothing as well.

And these nudists are among the classiest, friendliest, and most accepting and wonderful people I know.

LOVE this post. :)

I never thought the day would come when I would look to RCI cruises as the line where we get dressed for formal night, as the more 'formal' line. :rolleyes:

Slipping dress code = slipping standards. JMHO.

Look quickly, because the level of dress has already slipped on RCI and the betting is that an "official" lowering of standards is just around the corner.

I've sailed with a variety of cruise lines - because I book based on destination and my personal schedule - and I like to mix it up. I've had several cruises on NCL and Royal Caribbean and given similar itineraries with the three cruise lines, the 'Evening Chic' dress code would not influence me to book a cruise or not book a cruise with Celebrity in the future. I happily adhere to whatever dress code a cruise line has in effect at the time that I sail. Entertainment and dining options would probably give the nod to either NCL or Royal if the three cruise lines had the same itinerary.

I'm booking the Koningsdam this week for a 10 night Caribbean cruise and HAL's new ship for me and all that it offers are more appealing right now than Celebrity.

I've been booked on the Koningsdam for next November ever since they opened up the bookings. I do hope you realize that HAL went through this whole lowering of the dress code back in the summer with its change from Formal to Gala Nights. If you like formal dress, HAL has nothing more appealing to offer than Celebrity.

I'm also booked on Koningsdam (1st HAL booking). Just looking for a change.

I like Celebrity and the dress code change just brings it more in line with other cruiselines -- including HAL & Oceania.

Work dress is different, more relaxed and comfortable. Try it, you might like it. It's the way things are moving, informality. Or just do your own thing and be happy.

I didn't think I would like Princess movies in the deck but it was very enjoyable (though I won't be back on Princess).

Just an observation. I believe everyone has the right to an opinion, I just find it interesting that it seems that many of the posters who agree with the decision are infrequent cruisers on Celebrity. You are the one making implications. Maybe this will bring them all to Celebrity as regular cruisers.

I do find it impossible for myself to provide an opinion on things that I really haven't experienced. I would never think of going to a board that I don't really have much first hand experience with and posting just to stir the pot, like many do. For example, we are Platinum on Princess but since I have no recent ongoing experience with them, I would find it difficult to comment on what they are doing.

Anyone who has ever met me knows I'm one of the few who hangs around with everyone. I don't have conversations about what cabin they're in, what they paid for their cruise, or their loyalty status.

There are many threads where first-hand knowledge of the line or its ships is necessary in order to be able to form any meaningful opinion on a particular issue, but we all are familiar with different levels of dress and can comment on our personal likes and dislikes. I haven't sailed on Celebrity for just over a year, so I wouldn't think of commenting on the level of dress on formal nights this past summer, but I feel perfectly entitled to express my views on Celebrity's chic initiative. I also think that others who have never cruised and may never cruise on Celebrity are entitled to express their views.

I've been booked on the Koningsdam for next November ever since they opened up the bookings. I do hope you realize that HAL went through this whole lowering of the dress code back in the summer with its change from Formal to Gala Nights. If you like formal dress, HAL has nothing more appealing to offer than Celebrity.

Maybe my post was not clear as I was referring to HAL's offerings on the Koningsdam and its venues, not their now Gala Night dress code.

I'll be wearing semi-dazzle on Gala Nights. :)

There are many threads where first-hand knowledge of the line or its ships is necessary in order to be able to form any meaningful opinion on a particular issue, but we all are familiar with different levels of dress and can comment on our personal likes and dislikes. I haven't sailed on Celebrity for just over a year, so I wouldn't think of commenting on the level of dress on formal nights this past summer, but I feel perfectly entitled to express my views on Celebrity's chic initiative. I also think that others who have never cruised and may never cruise on Celebrity are entitled to express their views.

This. Anyone can have an opinion on formal vs "chic" vs informal and what it means and if they would like it or not. We know if we would like to dress up or not. And if it would bug us if others did or didn't.

Maybe my post was not clear as I was referring to HAL's offerings on the Koningsdam and its venues, not their now Gala Night dress code.

I'll be wearing semi-dazzle on Gala Nights. :)

Great. I'd hate for someone to book thinking that HAL still had the old dress code in place and then being disappointed. Personally, I hope that there with be lots of dazzle on Gala Nights. :)

I've only sailed on Celebrity once, but we had a wonderful vacation..,

. .

I bet this poster is one if those people letting the side down by enjoying their trip on the big boat and being nice to the staff. I would go even further by suggesting they say please and thank you to all the staff snd treat them with genuine respect.

Shame on you . Didnt you know you are supposed to order them about - particularly if they are 'only a ...'. and patronise them with a tip.

What one wears is only relevant to you and your partner. My Boss Lady likes to dress up -therefore we both do. Dont particularly care what others wear even at our table. Only ever had tablemates that we wouldnt to share with again. We all dressed formally but their constant moaning and complaining and treating staff like servants became tiresome.

It i s not what you wear - its how you behave that counts. In my experience 80% of the people (at least) are there to enjoy themselves without inconveniencing others and treat everyone with respect.

I take great exception to the inference from some posters that the pro formal people are better behaved than the others - if anything it is the other way around. in my experience

Just an observation. I believe everyone has the right to an opinion, I just find it interesting that it seems that many of the posters who agree with the decision are infrequent cruisers on Celebrity. You are the one making implications. Maybe this will bring them all to Celebrity as regular cruisers.

I do find it impossible for myself to provide an opinion on things that I really haven't experienced. I would never think of going to a board that I don't really have much first hand experience with and posting just to stir the pot, like many do. For example, we are Platinum on Princess but since I have no recent ongoing experience with them, I would find it difficult to comment on what they are doing.

Anyone who has ever met me knows I'm one of the few who hangs around with everyone. I don't have conversations about what cabin they're in, what they paid for their cruise, or their loyalty status.

Not sure about this.

the poster seems ' to believe that

" many of the posters who agree with the decision are infrequent cruisers on Celebrity". he/ she then accuses another poster of making implications,

The final paragraph is interesting

"I don't have conversations about what cabin they're in, what they paid for their cruise, or their loyalty status"

Strange how in other posts and threads he/ she makes it clear that he/she is Zenith - indeed in the post in question mentions the status on Princess also - how do I know they regularly take their boat trips in suites ( or at least claim to [emoji33])

Good on Celebrity changing the formal to chic. Just wish the Captains Club would take out the 'elite' word from two of their levels- some seem to think it means that they have become Elite persons - as if !!

Edited by LA_Design

I just find it interesting that some of those who are are clearly upset at the relaxation of the dress code in the MDR are infrequent diners in there, choosing to dine in Aqua or Luminae :rolleyes:

Well you see it is like this. The hoi-poloi you refer to are patently trusted to make the correct choice whereas the peasants in inside cabins ? surely not [emoji12]

I can from experience sympathise with this. Sitting on the first day of our cruise enjoying lunch in luminae ( not that great but thats another story). in storms an irate guest who when passing our table shouts to his friend about an issue with his suite. OK you think ? not when he used the F word 3 times in one sentence [emoji35]

Avoiding a confrontation I asked the waiter quietly to ask security to come along. The only time I have complained about a fellow passenger. Back to steerage for me .

Edited by LA_Design

This has all got very deep.

I love to do formal. I love it when the people around me do it too. People sparkle. The evening sparkles!! I'm really disappointed.

Yesterday you proposed a petition to bring back formal night and asked for support. I said I would offer conditional support. those conditions being on what Celebrity does to differentiate the evening from non-formal nights.

Do you have suggestions of what Celebrity could do to make it an actual special and different night? They have not been doing anything lately at all.

I'm open minded.

Now that everyone has had a chance to learn about the changes and express themselves, it may be time for moderators to merge all the "chic" threads,.

Maybe they can purge the outdated dress code sticky and put the merged threads there...

This has all got very deep.

I love to do formal. I love it when the people around me do it too. People sparkle. The evening sparkles!! I'm really disappointed.

It would appear you are in the minority.

Is it a deal breaker?

If so there are several UK based cruise lines who love formal.

I suspect I am in the minority as a UK cruiser, I do smart casual and that is my limit.

Annie

Most divisive issue ever iIMHO is smoking I've been here for 20 years and until a couple of years ago smoking threads were continually n this board. Dress code was not an issue until about ten years ago. Before that you either dressed up for the entire evening or you ate in your room.

I am disappointed in the company, not upset, and since Luminae is a very new concept, I've spent many years and many cruises dining in the MDR.

It's possible to disagree with a policy and express one's displeasure without personally attacking others and calling people names. I've posted on these threads for a long time without denigrating people or personally insulting their choices. Unfortunately there are a few who don't ever discuss the issue, but only comment about others.

I've always understood that some people never like to dress up for dinner and sometimes I don't feel like it either. I thought Celebrity did a good job providing alternatives for those few nights and I have taken advantage of the alternatives myself. I always hoped that people would find that those alternatives were very nice and gave everyone a chance to enjoy what they liked. This change, regardless of them saying it's still OK to dress formally, effectively changes the whole experience. I will personally miss it and I think it's a mistake but it certainly won't ruin my life or my experiences. It's just one more thing that is taking Celebrity away from being something special to being the same as all the rest in the large, mainstream cruise category. It just gives us all more reason to shop around.

If some find it necessary to gloat and make insulting comments it has no effect on me and only serves to demonstrate who they are. I guess I should just learn my lesson and not worry about others.

Edited by Ma Bell

Ugh! Now Celebrity has acquiesced and is like all the other cruise lines. People will be coming to formal/chic night in shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Why even call it anything? Just have a dining room where you come to eat. While casual may be fine on other nights, why is it that everything that was once "cruising" is changing to, we don't care about tradition, just give us what we want, like Veruca (Charley and Chocolate Factory). It's just too bad that we have lost the history and traditions of cruising. Now we have to have ice skating, bumper cars, climbing walls, surf riding and merry go rounds on a ship to have a fun cruise. Are we cruising or going to an amusement park? What happened to enjoying things for what they are/were? What are we teaching our kids/grandkids? Such a waste.

Edited by aeegee
Corrected post

This change, regardless of them saying it's still OK to dress formally, effectively changes the whole experience. I will personally miss it and I think it's a mistake but it certainly won't ruin my life or my experiences. It's just one more thing that is taking Celebrity away from being something special to being the same as all the rest

why is it that everything that was once "cruising" is changing to, we don't care about tradition, just give us what we want, like Veruca (Charley and Chocolate Factory). It's just too bad that we have lost the history and traditions of cruising.

What has Celebrity done in, say, the past 2 years or so on formal night to differentiate it or make it special compared to non-formal night?