It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

If tonight on the Millennium was any indication, the fans of formal nights have nothing to worry about. There were lots of suits, tuxedos and sports coats; almost no evidence of jeans anywhere. Most importantly, there was a lot of class and sophistication on display for Chic night. I wore a dark suit and felt very comfortable amongst my fellow cruisers.

First Evening Chic last night on Silhouette. About half wore ties and jackets, about half did not. Some in formal. A group of 14 were turned away at the door since the men in the group came in shorts.

That is about what I would expect for the first week with Evening Chic. It will be interesting to see the ratios in six months.

Was there a Captains Table? :)

We just did our first evening chic. It was announced too late for us to change our formal wear as it was almost packed. From what we saw there wasn't much chic. One lady was dressed really nice and her husband wore a scruffy jumper & pants. He even made a remark sarcastic remark about us all being dressed fancy. This did not help my 15 year old who was already feeling self conscious. The next formal night I will just wear nice pants and top. My daughter won't dress up again at least not on this cruise.

Ignore them. We'll dress up with you!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so =X= moved away from BTO (black tie optional) and from "formal night" with men in suits and ties to smart chic.

Unfortunately the heated rhetoric about the appropriate attire didn't change. It has been as ugly as always. For that reason this thread is now closed for good.

On Infinity and formal nights are gone from the schedule, and I practice from the dress of passengers. I expect it to become less and less formal as time goes by and information spreads more and more and those who try to continue to dress for all feel more and more out of place.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

I hope those who continue to dress formal do not feel uncomfortable. I often wear a coat and tie for going out to a nice restaurant and feel good about myself. Will continue to do it whenever and wherever I like on board.

I love the opportunity to dress up. DH will likely leave the tux at home but I will continue to wear dresses to dinner. They just might not be long anymore. Hopefully I won't be the only one.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Sailed Nov 2015, on Formal Night in the MDR most dressed Formal for the evening. While waiting to be seated, I observed a lady that was admitted to MDR in torn blue jeans, t-shirt and rubber flip-flops along with her children dressed much like her. I have NO idea what country they were from. The problem is that Celebrity did Not enforce the dining room rules for attire.

Since Celebrity makes the Dress Rules, they should enforce the rules. There are no longer formal nights on Celebrity as of Dec 2015.

Edited by texkan

Davekathy - torn jeans, t-shirt and flip flops are not appropriate for dinner in any civilised society. It is absurd that more appropriately dressed diners should have to share the dining room with those that have no regard of others. celebrity should have enforced the dress code and had them dine in the Ocean View Cafe.

I have noticed that cruisers of all ages show a complete disregard for the appropriate clothing. What is it with torn jeans and ball caps and sunglasses propped on their head? But that being said, it is their vacation and what they wear is of little concern to me. I would rather sit next to these people than a table filled with properly dressed cruisers that are so loud a conversation can't be carried on.