Is the Lobster in MDR really good?

Medtech2

They added on 18% of the upcharge as a gratuity... I guess for splitting and cleaning my lobster?! :D

Wow! That's crazy!! I really thought they'd do the right thing this time as clearly the MDR staff are covered by the DSC.

Thanks for the update! Really enjoying this thread!

Was grocery shopping earlier, walked by the seafood dept. with the live tanks, fresh New England/Maine lobster at $8.99 a pound. Super easy DIY - stream it or broil, ready to chow in 30 minutes. Prefer the 2 to 2.5 lbs. ones with big chunks of meat - yummy (not to mention when soft shells are in season, OMG)

Our of favorite & popular seafood restaurant nearby - on the waterfront (City Island with boat docking) do a lobster clam bake for $28.99, it's a full meal with house salad, garlic bread, choice of potatoes/rice/pasta - no choice on dessert: ice cream cake roll only. Beverages not included - plus sales tax & gratuity/tipping is at our discretion and mandatory only for large party of 6 or more. Leftovers are wrapped & packed free to go, cheerfully - extra bread at no charge on request.

It's not necessary for us to cruise for lobsters, especially not with upcharge.

A big local (CT) store has had lobster this summer ranging from $5.99 to $12 per pound - depending on supplies. Also local lobster pounds (who buy from the lobstermen) have been running about the same. They are so easy to cook - and are so much better than the frozen tails aboard ship - that it's hard to understand all the hoopla about lobster nights on ships.

Yes, it's steak and fries. It was around 8 - 9 ounces (I'm guessing) strip steak, served with herb butter, fries, and a grilled tomato. It was very good. I had it again tonight (just the steak - no lobster).
Thank you so much, that is what I thought, but when people started saying it was just fries (I think they may have been thinking about steak fries instead of steak frites), I wanted to find out what was really on the menu. Thanks again, I might just have to try them when they get on the menus on the other ships.

Yes it would be easier if they just listened to a person who comes from a country with both French and English as the official languages. Not to mention that it's a staple dish in French restaurants.

J'ai essayer....

Oh, you funny bilingual Canadians ;)

I never understand all the posts that talk about what lobster costs on land. I can buy a dozen eggs at the grocery for $2, but I still might go out to breakfast and pay for scrambled. What's the point?

Yes, and even though I may procure said lobster at the market (steamed if desired) it doesn't come with any sides, desser, waitstaff, etc. :)

The lobster that we had on the Gem last year was some of the best I've had. While it was only a tail it was quite tasty. If the surcharge lobster were to meet that quality it would be more than worth the surcharge. My experience tells me that the lobsters aboard ship are typically frozen, not fresh, and cooking a frozen lobster has to be done just right for it to be good.

Yes it would be easier if they just listened to a person who comes from a country with both French and English as the official languages. Not to mention that it's a staple dish in French restaurants.

J'ai essayer....

Lol I thought that, too! And I remember well the old "bifteck frites" from French class . Then I thought, well hmm, maybe the menu author's French ain't so good, and he meant "steak fries" -- those big, wide and flat ones.

It's got to be either "steak and fries" or big fat steak fries as a side.

Enquiring minds want to know!

Yes, and even though I may procure said lobster at the market (steamed if desired) it doesn't come with any sides, desser, waitstaff, etc. :)

The lobster that we had on the Gem last year was some of the best I've had. While it was only a tail it was quite tasty. If the surcharge lobster were to meet that quality it would be more than worth the surcharge. My experience tells me that the lobsters aboard ship are typically frozen, not fresh, and cooking a frozen lobster has to be done just right for it to be good.

I don't believe any ship has a live tank, though maybe a "fishtank" for display (I think at one of the specialty venues, that might be gone now), so unless the whole lobster is served within about 48 hours of embarkation, it is frozen. Not only is cooking a frozen bug different, just the act of freezing it changes the consistency of the meat, to my taste. Wouldn't pay extra for one on a cruise, nor would I chomp at the bit for a complimentary one.

Did people really think "Steak Frites" was just a plate of fries?

They might not have noticed the letter "t" in frites or thought it was a typo and thought it was steak fries which are simply larger thicker french fries, similar to the British 'chips'.

They probably thought she was having steak fries with her lobster, rather than a surf n turf dish with regular fries.

It was very good!

I'll take your word for it. :) Besides, I like Applebees, TGIF & Red Lobster so the complimentary food taste is not a big deal to me -If saying the worst the food can taste like is those restaurants, then its not that bad (to me, anyway). :D:p

Did people really think "Steak Frites" was just a plate of fries?
They did, I thought it was odd as well, that is why I asked. I couldn't imagine just a plate of fries being served as an appetizer, but thought I could have been wrong. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'll take your word for it. :) Besides, I like Applebees, TGIF & Red Lobster so the complimentary food taste is not a big deal to me -If saying the worst the food can taste like is those restaurants, then its not that bad (to me, anyway). :D:p

And I haven't been to or will go to a TGIF, Applebees, or Red Lobster. Not since I was in my early 20's.

I'd rather cook then eat at those type of restaurants. But....that's just me.

I'd also stop cruising if that's all the food tasted like.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

And I haven't been to or will go to a TGIP, Applebees, or Red Lobster. Not since I was in my early 20's.

I'd rather cook then eat at those type of restaurants. But....that's just me.

I'd also stop cruising if that's all the food tasted like.

Harriet

Lol me to and omg Olive Garden (barf) I went once and it was my LAST time. Maybe because I'm Italian but that place and places like that are awful.

Geri

Lol me to and omg Olive Garden (barf) I went once and it was my LAST time. Maybe because I'm Italian but that place and places like that are awful.

Geri

I hear the MDR is going to be a red lobster, and the on board shops will be mini Wal Marts[emoji23]