Britannia reviews

tuppence

Hi hope you can help us, we're looking at a Caribbean cruise next February on Britannia but are quite concerned over the poor reviews especially only the 52% who really like her! We have been on most of P&O's other ships and accept reviews are only an indicator of what ships are like but when we checked on the other ships their ratings are much higher! We now usually go on Celebrity but have done many Caribbean cruises on P&O and like flying direct to Barbados.If anyone has been on her honest reviews would be very welcome!:confused:

Hi hope you can help us, we're looking at a Caribbean cruise next February on Britannia but are quite concerned over the poor reviews especially only the 52% who really like her! We have been on most of P&O's other ships and accept reviews are only an indicator of what ships are like but when we checked on the other ships their ratings are much higher! We now usually go on Celebrity but have done many Caribbean cruises on P&O and like flying direct to Barbados.If anyone has been on her honest reviews would be very welcome!:confused:

I could have predicted that the reviews would be mixed last year as they have been every year a new ship has come not service. 10 years ago it was Arcadia on the forums of the time there were clowns ( I can only call them that) who went on and on about how bad she was and how she was so disliked that she was going to be sold off within 6 month. They got very angry when I told them they were talking rubbish.

It's a British thing and a P&O thing.

The ship is wonderful. The interior design flows from room to room. It is in generally muted colours. The entertainment is better than on other ships as it is new, well the in house theatre group is.

But as ever do not take my word or any review go and find out for yourself. Only you can give a fair assessment for you.

Goods friends just returned - Hated it........... Never again

Four pieces of advice.

1. For a sun bed with a good (unobstructed) sea view, rise at 06.00, or earlier, to join the rush of the chair hoggers, creating extra space and seal colonies.

2. Do not take a sunbed to the aft of, or level to, the two funnels - major soot problems.

3. Ear plugs..... Noise

4. Book another line/ship

To me its a matter of preference but I think that you should remember the old adage that when someone likes something they tell one person and when they don't they tell ten people. It amazes me that someone who has never been on Britannia and hates everything P&O would slag it off. IMO it is a wonderful ship with a beautiful contemporary design and excellent facilities. I've been on her and I'm going on her again in February to the Caribbean with friends. I know a lot of people who have been on her, probably about 20 couples. Most loved it but 2 couples didn't. To be honest we did come across a lot of people moaning about trivial things but it did look to me that the majority onboard were enjoying themselves.

Hi, firstly my trip on Britannia was around the British Isles in the pouring rain so predictably I can't comment on the lounger situation, however that sounds more like a people problem than a ship problem [emoji6] we had a fwd cabin and there was virtually no movement, I have posted previously I found myself checking a number of times if the ship was actually moving. The advantage of fed and aft cabins on this ship is that you have stairs nearer to your cabin, you have probably read that there are no midship stairs which some people don't like, but I didn't mind the extra walk. The other factor people haven't liked is the small balcony, we found it adequate but it's not really made for sunbathing. The ship is contemporary with excellent dining venues and food offering some new choices such as the Limelight Club. The entertainment was great because they have invested on special effects on stage. The hydropool area is lovely - as is the Retreat (I think that's what the private subbed area is called) if you can afford it I can see this would be really good in the Caribbean. The wine, beer flights, TV service are just a few of the other things that made us really like this ship. The only thing that bothered me a bit was the rather small bathroom, I wouldn't say I'm a large person and I did find it a bit tight. I hope you try Britannia - as Dai says it's the only way you will know and people can be negative at first. I'd be happy to return.

I would agree with Florry but would add that P&O have addressed the problem with the buffet bun fight as it is a far better layout. The Atrium and Market Café is a lovely area for relaxing or having a coffee or a drink. The Crystal Room is an excellent venue for dancing and the bathroom is small but the shower now has a fixed shower screen which is way better.

Worry not we have sailed Azura/Ventura as well as Arcadia and Britannia is, IMO, better than all those, not massively but sufficient to notice.

Yes it does have some negatives, as do all ships, the major ones again IMO are the small sized balconies, slightly smaller cabins and also smaller lifts than Azura/Ventura.

But of course it has many postives major amongst them IMO are the improved buffet layout, especially the 2 serveries which span the 2 side sections of the buffet, also the improved layout of the MDR's, and on our cruise at least a seemingly happier and more contented hotel staff.

So if you like Azura/Ventura I would expect you to be very happy with Britannia.

I liked the Britannia for its excellent decoration and facilities and good quiet single cabins. however i caught norovirus which was not the ships fault of course:eek: I did not like the lack of a promenade deck as I like some connection with the sea so i will not be cruising on her again unless she is going somewhere i really want to go. My advice is you have to try the ship and form your own opinion ;)

Have sailed on most P and O ships (apart from Adonia) and Britannia comes out top for us. Entertainment was the best ever, and even the smallish balcony didn't spoil the cabin and we sat out on it more than any other ship. Britannia doesn't fit in with hubby's summer holiday dates next year so this is one of the reasons we have booked a land holiday instead. We really wanted to go back on the Britannia. We normally don't eat that much in the ship's buffets but thought Britannia's was excellent and very nice to sit in. If I had to find a fault it would be the lack of the promenade as we often like to sit down there for some peace and quietness (we sail in the school holidays:D) I had read all of the moans before we sailed but it was the best cruise ever.

Many thanks to all of you for your advice and reviews! If our friends can make it I think we will go for it. As you say you can't judge until you've tried it yourself! Just wish P&O would have as many sun loungers as Celebrity do as the Caribbean calls out for lying in the sun!

Many thanks to all of you for your advice and reviews! If our friends can make it I think we will go for it. As you say you can't judge until you've tried it yourself! Just wish P&O would have as many sun loungers as Celebrity do as the Caribbean calls out for lying in the sun!

We loved Britannia in August and had an aft cabin - soot an issue for about an hour one day but it was soon cleaned up by staff and we loved the aft views.

We always found a sun bed in the middle of the school holidays... try the area where the Royal Princess has the MUTS screen - a great area where you can see what is going on and we always found a place there over looking the pool.

Loved the décor and the overall feel of the ship.

Have previously sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette 3 times and were as happy with Britannia. She too is big but beautiful in her own way. Britannia had no 18% gratuities though !

If you go, accepting that there will be some things you'll like and some you may not then you will have a great time. :)

The situation on Britannia is better than most on our trip the sea days which were hot saw whole areas of the ship with empty sun beds. Not all by the pool as that would be impossible. But it does have very wide decks.ImageUploadedByForums1447604028.171261.jpg.6fd0ab53947641e43ffe3d0c5253b350.jpg

We sailed on the Britannia in October and thought it was a beautiful ship. We had no problems with the interior layout and never felt that it was crowded, didn't miss the midship stairs, didn't mind having to walk from the front of the ship where our cabin was situated (good for the figure) to the rear of the ship to get the lift up to deck 16 for the Horizon restaurant. However I really did miss the promenade deck. The promenade deck offers protection from the elements if the weather is poor and shade when the sun is hot. There is a 'promenade deck' up on deck 18 or 19 (can't remember which) but it doesn't have the same feel to it and was also used by some passengers as a jogging track. Even though we usually have a balcony cabin I do like to use the promenade deck and for this reason only I would think twice about sailing on th e Britannia again.

I agree that new ships always come in for the most criticism. The reviews were just terrible when Ventura was first launched but now she has lots of fans and generally reviews are positive now. When there's a new ship I think people look more for faults with her. Next year, everybody would know what to expect. I would love to cruise on her but we've got enough booked for now.

We are just back from a Celebrity Cruise and we had a wonderful time on Summit even though we had read some dreadful reviews before we went. We are on Britannia next April and having sailed many times with P&O and seen all the photos of the ship I know that we shall have a great time.

I have to smile at some of the ridiculous reviews - nobody ever mentions value for money! We have secured our P&O cruise booked direct with P&O at a very good price, PLUS generous on board spend PLUS free coach transfers from our own town. It is common sense that they will have to recoup the money from somewhere. We shall happily pay extra for restaurants, pose for photos and generally understand that in this competitive world that the cruise lines find themselves in, they will cut back where they can.

I hope you book the cruise and have a great time - there is no better opinion than your own.

Treat ship reviews with a certain amount of disdain, we cruised on Ventura and Azura when they were new and a lot of reviews classed them as the ships from hell, absolute nonsense . Remember these ships carry thousands of passengers how many of those thousands post negative reviews, how many Post positive reviews and how many have thoughrly enjoyed their cruise post no review and book another cruise.

We are booked on Azura for this year and next year and are looking forward to booking Britannia for the Caribbean.

We had a great time aboard Britannia last August but that was more to do with it being a "Strictly" themed cruise rather than the ship.

Didn't have the wow factor compared to it's sister ship Royal Princess IMHO but the drinks were a lot cheaper.

Just go with an open mind, no ship will ever please everyone. We went on the Britannia maiden voyage and thought that she was a beautiful ship but we found her a little bigger than we like so will only go on her again if she is visiting ports that we have not previously seen and there is no other ship going at the time that we want to go away. In my opinion there is no reason to dislike the Britannia other than the size.

Just to help you we were on the Round Britain cruise in July as Florrie.

My wife loved the ship I disliked it, that helps :D

I do not deny it is well furnished etc and the smash & grab works well, also the tv service is great.

Balcony, lifts and bathroom to small & no promenade deck as said up on deck 18.

To me the ship is to big and impersonal in as much on the smaller ships its easier to make acquaintances.

Still trying Azura in May not tried it before due to both of us totally disliking Ventura, and then to our favourite Arcadia in Nov

Just to help you we were on the Round Britain cruise in July as Florrie.

My wife loved the ship I disliked it, that helps :D

I do not deny it is well furnished etc and the smash & grab works well, also the tv service is great.

Balcony, lifts and bathroom to small & no promenade deck as said up on deck 18.

To me the ship is to big and impersonal in as much on the smaller ships its easier to make acquaintances.

Still trying Azura in May not tried it before due to both of us totally disliking Ventura, and then to our favourite Arcadia in Nov

Your review would have been better if you had given your wife's view as well.

I can't see you liking the Azura when you totally disliked the Ventura and was it not obvious that you would probably dislike Britannia on the same basis?

Your review would have been better if you had given your wife's view as well.

I can't see you liking the Azura when you totally disliked the Ventura and was it not obvious that you would probably dislike Britannia on the same basis?

What more can I say than she loved it ?

Azura is going where we want to go and there have been plenty of posts on here over time saying Azura is better than Ventura, but have not seen one saying the opposite OK

Azura is going where we want to go and there have been plenty of posts on here over time saying Azura is better than Ventura, but have not seen one saying the opposite OK

I don't know about better, but it is different. We were on Azura in July and Ventura in October. All I can is that they 'feel' different.

You seem to have taken offence.

I was just pointing out that your review would have been of real interest because you were a couple who had different opinions.

Azura & Ventura are pretty much the same but we have a slight preference for Azura but there again we loved Britannia.