Is Celebrity overpricing TA's

gordylad

Would it not have been cheaper to book a C2 and use your captains club membership to bump you to a C1, gratis?

Genuinely don't know, hence the question.

Not possible for a C1, it's one of the exclusion categories along with SVs and FVs ;).

Would it not have been cheaper to book a C2 and use your captains club membership to bump you to a C1, gratis?

Genuinely don't know, hence the question.

We usually book an A1 and get the A2 price which saves is around $3-400 as the A1's are more expensive.

Since the C1's are cheaper than the C2, the only way it would work out, if they would let me, would book a C1 at the 1A price -- that would only save me $20pp, believe it or not, but Celebrity probably wouldn't go for that.

I think perhaps the pricing model has changed on TA's. The new prices seem quite high. In the old days, the opening price was generally pretty reasonable and then it went up. Many TA itineraries sold a lot of cabins very quickly, and the price generally didn't go down until after final payment.

Now, the prices seem as high as they ever get for many cabin categories. I suspect early bookers (North Americans anyways) may get a price decrease if the cabins don't sell as fast as they used to. Of course, the downside to booking early and hoping for a price drop is that, if everyone does it, there's no reason for Celebrity to drop the price.

As the TA's aren't eligible for most promotions, and airfare can be rather steep, I think they new TA's won't be as popular as they used to be, and if most people hold off booking, Celebrity will have to bring the prices down, or at least offer some of the perks that the other itineraries get.

I guess we'll have to wait and see . . .

A lot of us booked on a TA where they gave us free gratuities, but actually, they are collecting it back on the cost of the cruise. For example, my C1 costs $1699, but I get $188 in free grats, so that would bring the normal booking price as $1499. They just added the gratuities onto what the normal price would have been so to make you feel you are getting something for free. :rolleyes:

My Oct, 2015 TA was $243/ day ($3650 for 15 days- booked at the opening), Nov, 2017 TA - $323/ day ($4200 for 13 days) - same AQ category. That is a lot for gratuity per day - $80.00/day. I lost all my excitement....:eek:

A lot of us booked on a TA where they gave us free gratuities, but actually, they are collecting it back on the cost of the cruise. For example, my C1 costs $1699, but I get $188 in free grats, so that would bring the normal booking price as $1499. They just added the gratuities onto what the normal price would have been so to make you feel you are getting something for free. :rolleyes:

It worked well for celebrity as they sold many of those certificates. Prices for the 2017 TA's are way way up.

My Oct, 2015 TA was $243/ day ($3650 for 15 days- booked at the opening), Nov, 2017 TA - $323/ day ($4200 for 13 days) - same AQ category. That is a lot for gratuity per day - $80.00/day. I lost all my excitement....:eek:

I feel your pan Isabella. Te 2017 prices are really high especially considering the lack of perks.

We will have to see how bookings go once the rush of certificates clears. Have to watch these prices in January to see if Celebrity can sustain these numbers.

My Constellation sailing April of 16 is an incredible value when looking at the 2017 numbers. 569.00 per person for a category six ocean view, Amazing, right?

I just took at the prices for a TA on Princess and RCCL and they have the same exhorbitant prices as Celebrity:eek::eek:??

I just had a look, and the TA on Royal Princess for October 2017 offers more ports and a better itinerary compared to the Equinox TA. Both are out of Barcelona.

Princess also has lower pricing on drinks and specialty dining.

I just had a look, and the TA on Royal Princess for October 2017 offers more ports and a better itinerary compared to the Equinox TA. Both are out of Barcelona.

Princess also has lower pricing on drinks and specialty dining.

I jumped on that one. Much prefer the itinerary and as you said, onboard spend will be far less

Isabella - do you seriously think those prices will hold?

My 2014 TA in AQ was $1699 and dropped to $1499 about 90 days out. The 2015 I booked at $1529 and it has dropped to $1299 with a couple weeks before final payment. I get it that those outside NAmerica cannot cancel on the same terms, but at this point for a couple hundred dollars I have sort of purchased a lottery ticket on a cruise. If the price comes down to a place where I am happy I book. If not we cancel.

Was hoping to find something of interest in the TAs announced today but sticking with our Azamara trip in November 2017 (booked around a year ago). 3 days longer, includes tips and all beverages, and we are paying around $200 less than Equinox AQ1, leaving Barcelona 3 days earlier.

Kind of a no-brainer.

I just took at the prices for a TA on Princess and RCCL and they have the same exhorbitant prices as Celebrity:eek::eek:??

Check out the big box store they now have travel department -ostcotravel.ca , their pricing was just as good the -rucon website , actual a bit better

The Brilliance Fall TA, 14 nights ,inside cabin, $699 USD, which is about $950 cad, on -rucon, -ostcotravel is $899 cad with obc :eek:

Edited by Airbalancer

Check out the big box store they now have travel department -ostcotravel.ca , their pricing was just as good the -rucon website , actual a bit better

The Brilliance Fall TA, 14 nights ,inside cabin, $699 USD, which is about $950 cad, on -rucon, -ostcotravel is $899 cad with obc :eek:

I did not know we now had a big box .ca site thank you for that.

I just booked today 2 TA's in 2017 using my future cruise bookings done on last TA. Receive OBC and prepaid gratis. Pricing is up over previous TA's, but I got cabins and cruises I wanted. I may be missing something, but what is the downside. Deposit is $200 for each cruise.

I just booked today 2 TA's in 2017 using my future cruise bookings done on last TA. Receive OBC and prepaid gratis. Pricing is up over previous TA's, but I got cabins and cruises I wanted. I may be missing something, but what is the downside. Deposit is $200 for each cruise.

No real downside, but it seems that the prices compared to the previous year have gone up. Yes, you got free gratuities, but you are paying for those with the huge price increase. they make you feel like you got something, but it's really just a "wash."

Folks booking Suites are really feeling the increase from what I've been reading. They've got to pay for that new Suite Restaurant somehow. :D:D

No real downside, but it seems that the prices compared to the previous year have gone up. Yes, you got free gratuities, but you are paying for those with the huge price increase. they make you feel like you got something, but it's really just a "wash."

Folks booking Suites are really feeling the increase from what I've been reading. They've got to pay for that new Suite Restaurant somehow. :D:D

Agree. We Canadians are also paying more due to the exchange rate. I believe that we may see you on the Reflection TA Oct/17.

How do they know if you qualify for free gratuities on the transatlantic? We have a couple of FCC booked on board a month ago at the same time, but they just gave us any dates (not on a TA) because 2017-2018 was not out yet. We are looking at options.

How do they know if you qualify for free gratuities on the transatlantic? We have a couple of FCC booked on board a month ago at the same time, but they just gave us any dates (not on a TA) because 2017-2018 was not out yet. We are looking at options.

We did the future TA booking on the fall Eclipse TA. It was a special booking for TA only including free grats and OBC. and was $100 deposit pp. We couldn't book until yesterday unless you were booking the Eclipse (the only pricing out early as I understood it). We booked a balcony and it was $100 OBC for the cabin.

At the same time I did an onboard future booking on some cruise way in the future that I'm not going to go on. They were different.

Edited by jeno

I filled out a form on our Oct. Reflection TA which was titled, " 2017 Transatlantic Exclusive Onboard Offer". Paid $200 deposit and received a booking # and an emailed confirmation. Clearly stated on the form that it included OBC and paid gratuities. The pricing was not out on TA's, but the Future Booking office on board had a list with 2017 sailings and dates. The one I was given was for S class ships. Did not book until yesterday.

I feel your pan Isabella. Te 2017 prices are really high especially considering the lack of perks.

We will have to see how bookings go once the rush of certificates clears. Have to watch these prices in January to see if Celebrity can sustain these numbers.

My Constellation sailing April of 16 is an incredible value when looking at the 2017 numbers. 569.00 per person for a category six ocean view, Amazing, right?

You are so right Neil.

I think any cruise taken before these crazy prices X cooked up are awesome deals. I think we will "experiment" with Anthem in April and hopefully will see you on Bermuda cruise in September.

Was hoping to find something of interest in the TAs announced today but sticking with our Azamara trip in November 2017 (booked around a year ago). 3 days longer, includes tips and all beverages, and we are paying around $200 less than Equinox AQ1, leaving Barcelona 3 days earlier.

Kind of a no-brainer.

I checked out this sailing today - now it is more that X - very disappointed.

I checked out this sailing today - now it is more that X - very disappointed.

Yes we booked it the day bookings opened in January. Was afraid prices may have increased but hadn't checked.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

The answer to the OP is YES.....they are overpricing...

Just looked at Regal Princess.....their newest ship..... 15 night TA in April 2017....mini suite prices -- $2349 per person...... I've been in a mini suite on the Regal just last month....it's a very nice stateroom and minus the butler very similar to a Sky Suite on X.....which begin at $3500 for the Eclipse TA same time, 2 nights less and 2 less ports.....

Is Luminae and a butler worth an extra $2,300 per couple over a brand new ship that frankly offers better entertainment than the Eclipse?

I didn't like all things about the Regal but DID most things, and we enjoyed our TA on the Eclipse this past April, but it's not worth paying around 50% more for a shorter cruise with less ports....

I guess we'll see how long the prices stay up.....if they do...then X has tapped into a newer, richer market than I am willing to pay for at this time.....

Edited by Gracie115