Is Celebrity overpricing TA's

gordylad

In the US we are unable to book a free beverage package included on a TA as far as I know. I guess this is a wake up call for all of those people that say the Americans get all of the good deals. If any in the US are able to get a free beverage package on a TA, please correct me. If so, I'd love to know your TA!

You are correct....they stopped offering that perk on TA's about 2 years ago....too bad...

and the package itself is WAY too expensive for us....no way we would drink enough to make it worthwhile.....especially with all the ports at the end of the cruise....

You are correct....they stopped offering that perk on TA's about 2 years ago....too bad...

and the package itself is WAY too expensive for us....no way we would drink enough to make it worthwhile.....especially with all the ports at the end of the cruise....

There now is a reluctance, by the cruise lines, to offer good deals on drink packages for the TA cruises. Apparently, because there are so many sea days, folks take advantage of all that onboard time to utilize the package benefits (I am being politically correct). Cruise lines prefer to have folks paying for those packages (even at a discount with promotions) when the passengers are off the ship at a lot of ports (and not ordering drinks).

Hank

There now is a reluctance, by the cruise lines, to offer good deals on drink packages for the TA cruises. Apparently, because there are so many sea days, folks take advantage of all that onboard time to utilize the package benefits (I am being politically correct). Cruise lines prefer to have folks paying for those packages (even at a discount with promotions) when the passengers are off the ship at a lot of ports (and not ordering drinks).

Hank

Yes...you're right...at least with Celebrity...I note that Princess was including it as a "perk" on their TA on the Regal this spring...at least they were for awhile, haven't looked in the last few weeks....so some lines do...some lines don't....

Hank

We are booked on a HAL TA next year that included a beverage package.

Yes...you're right...at least with Celebrity...I note that Princess was including it as a "perk" on their TA on the Regal this spring...at least they were for awhile, haven't looked in the last few weeks....so some lines do...some lines don't....

Before we decided to switch to an Aussie land trip next fall we were booked on a Princess TA that included a drink package I'd love if Celebrity would offer some kind of deal on TAs and TPs. Maybe 50% off a premium package rather than nothing. Their crazy drink prices have now priced them out of the market for a lot of people, especially Canadians who need to add 35% to all drink prices.

Edited by Cruise Junky

I'm new to cruising and don't understand about price drops and how you know if they have happened, how do access them. We booked through a travel agent a concierge room, 2 years in advance. Any advise would be appreciated.

I'm new to cruising and don't understand about price drops and how you know if they have happened, how do access them. We booked through a travel agent a concierge room, 2 years in advance. Any advise would be appreciated.

Check the Celebrity website, regularly, even daily....prices change frequently is you see a lower price call your TA and have them get it for you by contacting Celebrity. As long as you are before the final payment date you should be able to get any reductions they may have, or perhaps upgrade to a better stateroom at the same price you have already paid.

Absolutely true. We use agents in both the UK and US and depending on the circumstances will book with the one offering the best terms. We have booked a TA for 2017 with a UK agency as the cost was much lower then our US based agent could offer. However, the next time the US agent may have a better offer on OBC or perks. You have to be a savvy traveller and consider all the options. It works for us.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2017 TA's are out and they are ridiculously overpriced. Especially the one I want a Reflection Miami to Rome April 22. I booked the future cruise special on board the Silhouette. Never would have done that if I knew this would be their most expensive I have ever seen! Ocean view $1799 pp starting. Terrible. I am booking it because they already have my deposit but if the price doesn't go down significantly I will cancel.

A lot of us booked on a TA where they gave us free gratuities, but actually, they are collecting it back on the cost of the cruise. For example, my C1 costs $1699, but I get $188 in free grats, so that would bring the normal booking price as $1499. They just added the gratuities onto what the normal price would have been so to make you feel you are getting something for free. :rolleyes:

The T/A top suites are up 35% over 2015/2016 pricing. A CS costs what a RS did and went from $8000 to $12000. RS went from $12000 to $16000 so up $4000 and close to $300/day more. PH went from $19000 to $28000 so up $9000 or $600+/day!

I am not aware of any significant enhancements in the suite life to merit a 35% increase? RS still gets drinks and specialties, I think laundry gets added (but the coupons were enough). There are some improved afternoon treats, not that I need another meal. MC is a net loss of space to PH-RS-CS. (And BTW anything new is subject to change or deletion.) Luminae is not that good to be worth $300/day more, especially compared to premium lines SilverSea, Regent,Oceania that have much better food and service.

To have a shot at getting one of these very limited rooms you have to book now, also to get the free gratuities promo. With so few rooms I expect they will book up and doubt the price will drop. Just disappointed, I liked the suite product and found the room and 2016 price acceptable.

On the plus side with this 2017 booking opening so far in advance of other lines it gives me 12 to 18 months to find an alternative cruise and cancel X.

A lot of us booked on a TA where they gave us free gratuities, but actually, they are collecting it back on the cost of the cruise. For example, my C1 costs $1699, but I get $188 in free grats, so that would bring the normal booking price as $1499. They just added the gratuities onto what the normal price would have been so to make you feel you are getting something for free. :rolleyes:

Would it not have been cheaper to book a C2 and use your captains club membership to bump you to a C1, gratis?

Genuinely don't know, hence the question.

The T/A top suites are up 35% over 2015/2016 pricing. A CS costs what a RS did and went from $8000 to $12000. RS went from $12000 to $16000 so up $4000 and close to $300/day more. PH went from $19000 to $28000 so up $9000 or $600+/day!

I am not aware of any significant enhancements in the suite life to merit a 35% increase? RS still gets drinks and specialties, I think laundry gets added (but the coupons were enough). There are some improved afternoon treats, not that I need another meal. MC is a net loss of space to PH-RS-CS. (And BTW anything new is subject to change or deletion.) Luminae is not that good to be worth $300/day more, especially compared to premium lines SilverSea, Regent,Oceania that have much better food and service.

To have a shot at getting one of these very limited rooms you have to book now, also to get the free gratuities promo. With so few rooms I expect they will book up and doubt the price will drop. Just disappointed, I liked the suite product and found the room and 2016 price acceptable.

On the plus side with this 2017 booking opening so far in advance of other lines it gives me 12 to 18 months to find an alternative cruise and cancel X.

What is amazing that in less than one day the RS on the Reflection 2017 fall TA are sold out at the higher prices. The S1 is the one that increased the most. Almost double and one less day. The different in price between the S1 and CS is much less as it probably should be.

It looks like Celebrity is not having any issues convincing people that the new suite enhancements are significantly more valuable. I agree and several years ago they were not competitive in the Suite area and probably sold suites at great discounts unlike today.

It will be interesting to see how the new prices compares to the competition. I think we will all be looking for sure.