Is Celebrity overpricing TA's

gordylad

So I just looked out of curiosity the price of a 1A cabin on Celebrity Eclipse October 2017 Transatlantic sailing.

Cost is $4100 = Almost £2,900

I always thought booking early was the way to go but when you see this kind of price I wonder?:eek:

If that price is tooooo high for you and there is no specific cabin you wanted, just wait. If the price goes down, then issue solved, if the price goes up, then pass on the cruise if it is tooooo much higher than what you want to pay.

bon voyage

It's only overpriced if people don't buy.

You can book and hope for price drops, but booking will cause less cabin availability, which will pressure more to book, less availability, higher prices, and the vicious cycle continues.

If you're not picky about cabin, waiting until the last minute is sure to get the best deal. There will certainly be people who book to hold their favorite cabin and cancel at 75-60 days out and others who cancel further in.

Ships sail full, so if it doesn't sell at the price they start at, they'll drop until they sell. If they sell, they'll go up. Have to love capitalism.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

On a cruise that is 2 years out the prices listed mean absolutely nothing. relax. Am actually surprised this cruise is even listed it is so far in the future. Many cruises for 2017 not available yet.

How does Celebrity price a cruise? Using a computer matrix! Until about 12-15 months out the computer looks at reservations and prices accordingly. Your particular cruise cabin was up by about $1000USD today! Is anyone booking? Probably not. I note on several East bound TAs in recent years the prices have dropped to the $1600pp range as cruising date got closer for Verandas. Also remember you are trying to book what many would consider the best AQ class cabin.

Last is a note the TA cruising has become very popular in the last couple of years. Veranda cabins and above that used to be around $1000-1200pp are now about $400-600pp more. Was paid $1100 for Concierge last year and is is $1450 for 2016. Only the inside cabins continue to have bargain basement prices.

So I just looked out of curiosity the price of a 1A cabin on Celebrity Eclipse October 2017 Transatlantic sailing.

I always thought booking early was the way to go but when you see this kind of price I wonder?:eek:

I get around $3800 for two people.

I hate booking early but the cruise we want to take to Ireland/Iceland on Eclipse with our son has VERY few inside cabins that hold 3 people. By the time I wanted to reserve the cruise this year for 2016, there was already no availability in anything other than verandas and the prices were too high (even adding in the perks they give).

So I have to book now for 2017 or we might not get a cabin. :mad:

Is there any downside to booking early anyway with the minimum deposit? That way you have dibs on the cabin you want. Until 90 days out, can't you always cancel? If the price drops (almost a certainty) you call and they adjust. If the price doesn't drop to what you want to pay, cancel. I don't see the big deal -- what am I missing here? Yes you will have your deposit funds tied up, but most folks who cruise have enough liquid assets that that really shouldn't matter too much.

Please note that the OP converted the fare into pounds, therefore likely they are in the UK, which means unless they can book with a US travel agent, they can't cancel and rebook without losing their deposit. They also can't take advantage of price drops. EM

Are you sure that's right? I just did a dummy booking for a 1A for two people and it came out at £1958 total.

Phil

I think the price has changed since I posted earlier :rolleyes: booking with a US agent gives a total cost of $3941 = £2589 which is still more expensive that last year.

By the way just to say we are not interested in this cruise just making an observation...we prefer going south than east...

Since X pushed out booking dates for TA from 11/17 to 12/8, there are no pricing for TA , except for Eclipse. I have a feeling that pricing will be higher, since X was offering OBC and prepaid gratuity for booking on board as a FCC for all TAs. Specific cruise must booked from 12/8-12/30/15.

I think the price has changed since I posted earlier :rolleyes: booking with a US agent gives a total cost of $3941 = £2589 which is still more expensive that last year.

By the way just to say we are not interested in this cruise just making an observation...we prefer going south than east...

You've got to love cruise pricing. In recent weeks I've seen a 14 night Asian cruise in a SS1 with beverage pack and OBC priced at just under £1800 pp. I've also seen an 8 day Norwegian cruise in a SS1 with the same perks priced at £3500 pp.

Both were seen with around 5 or 6 months to sail.

That price for a 1A is utterly outrageous! Maybe that ta is a month long. If you book at that price, you will just encourage X to continue their huge price hikes.

The price is a bit high, but only $100 higher than the same cruise for 2016. The 2017 cruise goes to Boston, NYC, Bermuda and Nassau. That is a great itinerary.

I looked again and got in the area of $1600USD pp. Significant change from yesterday. Maybe X heard you! LOL. Seems about correct. Agree if UK agents keep deposit to find an agent in the USA and book there. X certainly would not be happy if a large number cancelled just before final payment date.

The OP asks if the cruises are being "overpriced." We still live in a Capitalistic System (at least this week) where cruise lines price based on supply vs demand. If they cannot sell enough cabins at the high prices, they will either lower the prices or enhance the bookings with a lot a other benefits (i.e. drink packages, OBCs, etc).

Hank

I would like to add another perspective to this discussion about Transatlantic cruise pricing. If you consider the fact that several of the 2016 crossings are shorter in length than those offered in 2015 (e.g. the Eclipse 16 night cruise is now 13) and offering fewer ports, the quality of the experience is diminished as well as the value for the price charged. Celebrity may want to increase the bottom line for their shareholders but it should not be at the expense of the quality of their product offerings.

Also bear in mind that Eclipse sailings out of Southampton are keenly priced in the UK. Under £2000 for a TA is a good price. I'm with you though. It would be too cool and potentially rough for me. Even Eclipse TAs out of Southampton to Florida or vice versa spend too long in cool waters for me. Boston however is a draw. Would love to go there.

Phil

One might also consider that there are an awful lot of ships from many cruise lines that must do "repo" cruises at least twice a year. If one gets "hung up" on a single cruise line then you might have to pay the price. But keeping your flexibility as to dates, ships and cruise lines almost always yields a very good TA bargain. Folks should also consider checking out offerings on the more upscale luxury lines (i.e. Crystal, Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, etc) and the somewhat more upscale lines like Azamara and Oceania. These lines are often somewhat more expensive, but many offer a lot of extras such as larger cabins, all-inclusive drinks, tips, etc.

Hank

Overpricing TA's? Maybe. My recent Silhouette was decently priced and my upcoming 13 night Constellation cruise in April is reasonable. My issue is that now when you book a TA future cruise on board and take an inside cabin You get a $50 OBC. When I booked my most recent cruise 2 years ago I received a $300 OBC. That's pathetic.

Since X pushed out booking dates for TA from 11/17 to 12/8, there are no pricing for TA , except for Eclipse. I have a feeling that pricing will be higher, since X was offering OBC and prepaid gratuity for booking on board as a FCC for all TAs. Specific cruise must booked from 12/8-12/30/15.

TA's new deployments coming out December 8. We will board our cruise on Monday, how does a FCC work for a cruise that has not be released yet? You gets perks for booking onboard for the TA but have no idea how much the future cruise costs for a 2017 reservation booking? Please explain being I have never done this before, thank-you.