Second time in Rome - tour suggestions?

eel

Our cruise will be making a stop in Rome (Civitavecchia) in May. This will be the second time we will be in Rome via cruise ship. Last time we did a very enjoyable Rome city tour and Vatican tour with a private guide. We really enjoyed it although we felt we could have spent more time in St. Peter's.

Trying to figure out what we should do this time. Most of the Rome tours I find visit the same sites we did before such as the Coliseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, and of course the Vatican. Still we feel like we have only scratched the surface of Rome. Any suggestions? Perhaps we should just take the train to Rome and use taxis to visit a few sites we missed before?

One of the great things about a return visit is the comfort of having a sense of where you are, which makes a DIY day that much easier.

Since you wanted more time in St. Peter's, why not start there? Perhaps you can arrange a scavi tour of the ruins under St. Peter's.

Close by is Castel Sant'Angelo, another interesting site to visit.

You could do all this and enjoy a nice lunch before heading back to the ship.

One of the great things about a return visit is the comfort of having a sense of where you are, which makes a DIY day that much easier.

Since you wanted more time in St. Peter's, why not start there? Perhaps you can arrange a scavi tour of the ruins under St. Peter's.

Close by is Castel Sant'Angelo, another interesting site to visit.

You could do all this and enjoy a nice lunch before heading back to the ship.

Great suggestion for the OP...could not have said it better!!

If you don't want to head back to St. Peters on this trip, there are plenty of other excellent choices in Rome, depending on your interests. Just a few ideas:

Borghese Gallery -- Baroque and Renaissance art displayed in a beautiful setting.

Several more great sights in the area near the Colosseum: The Capitoline Museum (wonderful Roman sculpture), the Basilica of San Clemente (historic church built on three levels at three different time periods), Palatine Hill, Baths of Caracalla.

There's also the Via Appia and the catacombs there.

I could go on and on -- just taking a walk around the Centro Storico and looking at the piazzas, visiting the occasional church is a worthwhile day in Rome.

If you are an opera lover you can visit the original settings of Puccini's TOSCA in Roma . Act 1. The Church of St Andrea de Valle with its superb ceiling is near the Campo de Fiori . Then walk over through the Campo de Fiori to Piazza Farnesse to find Palazzo Farnesse Scarpias Police HQ in Act 2 of Tosca . Finally a short walk to Act 3 the Castel de St Angelo on the banks of the Tiber where Tosca leapt to her death in the Tiber below .

Also slightly out of Roma by Metro and the Lido train the fabulous Roman ruins at Ostia Antica . Details here on Official website :

http://www.ostiaantica.beniculturali.it/en/

Instructions on how to get to Ostia Antica by train from Roma Termini train station - take the "Linea B" Metro, get off at Porta San Paolo (Piramide) - Then transfer to the train Roma-Lido, get off at Ostia Antica station; on exiting station continue straight ahead for about 5 minutes to the entrance to Ostia Antica.

Edited by kuldalai

I don't think that Ostia Antica is a reasonable day trip for a cruise passenger, because of the difficulty of getting there and back. It's a lot of travel time for a fairly short visit. Furthermore, the instructions given have you doubling your steps by passing through the Ostiense station on the way to Termini, then turning around and coming back. Those instructions would add another 30 - 45 minutes to an already long transit.

Edited by euro cruiser

We will be going to Rome for a 3rd. trip but this time staying there for a few days. Last time we did the DIY, while using the ship bus transportation. They leave you off at St. Peter's Sq. The Scavi tour is well recommended. We walked everywhere but finally took a taxi to the Spanish steps (closed off for renovation) then walked to the Trevi Fountain, and all the way back through Piazza's. We enjoyed lunch is a tiny café right near a grand hotel. See Piazza Navona.

If you don't want to head back to St. Peters on this trip, there are plenty of other excellent choices in Rome, depending on your interests. Just a few ideas:

Borghese Gallery -- Baroque and Renaissance art displayed in a beautiful setting.

Several more great sights in the area near the Colosseum: The Capitoline Museum (wonderful Roman sculpture), the Basilica of San Clemente (historic church built on three levels at three different time periods), Palatine Hill, Baths of Caracalla.

I could go on and on -- just taking a walk around the Centro Storico and looking at the piazzas, visiting the occasional church is a worthwhile day in Rome.

Right on Cynthia…… after 5+ visits (multiple days each time- pre and post cruise) to Rome we are still finding new stuff to do….. My best fantasy would be to spend a month there (or more :D )

Our cruise will be making a stop in Rome (Civitavecchia) in May. This will be the second time we will be in Rome via cruise ship. Last time we did a very enjoyable Rome city tour and Vatican tour with a private guide. We really enjoyed it although we felt we could have spent more time in St. Peter's.

Trying to figure out what we should do this time. Most of the Rome tours I find visit the same sites we did before such as the Coliseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, and of course the Vatican. Still we feel like we have only scratched the surface of Rome. Any suggestions? Perhaps we should just take the train to Rome and use taxis to visit a few sites we missed before?

Oh yes - there is SO much to see in Rome - I never tire of visiting and there is always something new to explore. We again trained about Italy in the spring & spent 7 days in Rome.

I love San Clemente - just a short walk from the Colosseum. San Giovanni in Laterno is a short walk from San Clemente. San Giovanni is an incredibly beautiful basilica.

Also, like Cynthia, I enjoy just walking around.

The Scavi Tour is very interesting - if you want to see more of St. Peters, you can combine the 2. You must book the Scavi tour well in advance by contacting the vatican excavations office: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20090216_en.html

The train from port would, to me, make the most sense. If it were me, I would not take taxis when in Rome - get a good map, mark your route, public transport is frequent and quite good and if you plan well, much can be seen by walking.

I will add if you are claustrophobic the Scavi might not be for you.

I was a bit concerned as I do not like caves/tight places but this didn't seem to bother me. Yes there are a few "tight" areas but it is well lit and was so interesting I didn't seem to have a problem :D It is always a bit chilly down there so bring a sweater/jacket. No big bags/purses and YES book early. Only 15 people in each tour and not all are English so it limits your options……

The history is fascinating ……

The Baths of Caracalla are one of my favs too. Very parklike and peaceful. Many mosaics still intact but sad to say - left open to the elements. I have always said I would like to picnic here :)

Ostia Antica is huge, well preserved but I agree it is too far and a bit difficult to get to. We visited while staying one night post cruise in Ostia.

I'll add something to Cynthia's suggestion of just walking around Centro Storico: One of my very favorite churches is right behind the Pantheon - the Bascilica Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. Very plain on the outside, it belies the Gothic beauty inside. No matter how many times I've gone in, I always take time when I'm in Rome to visit, sit and just take in the interior.

You know what I may do for something different is CIVITA DI BAGNOREGIO and ORVIETO. I saw these areas on the amazing race and was blown away. Although if your heart is set on Rome, then yes you must go back because you can go to Rome a few times and only scratch the surface like you mentioned. Having said that, the last tour we took was awesome. I feel we saw quite a bit. Go to italytoursharing.com webpage and you can see all the different tours and decide what you would like to see or if you missed anything.

If you are going to spend anytime in the usual haunts in Italy and money to get there, might I suggest you look at The Great Courses - Essential Guide to Italy on DVD. The lectures goes step by step, almost block by block, of Rome, Venice, Florence with a couple of lectures on Palermo, Orient, Siena etc.

Might be able to find it on e-Bay as well - and well worth keeping it in your library. And there is always the DK (EYEWITNESS TRAVEL) guidebooks on Rome itself. Much better research than the couple of paragraphs in the usual guidebooks concentrating on countries.

Who did you do your first trip to Rome tour with?

Me, personally - I have never taken a tour in Rome. I read up on various sights, picked a few that I truly wanted to visit and built time for them along with just strolling through Rome. I do not like to load up with tourist "must see" places just to tick something off of list or feel like I'm the Griswold family in European Vacation where they spend seconds everywhere…

By picking maybe 2 things for a day visit, I guarantee that I WILL come back to see a few more things later ;)

I'll add something to Cynthia's suggestion of just walking around Centro Storico: One of my very favorite churches is right behind the Pantheon - the Bascilica Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. Very plain on the outside, it belies the Gothic beauty inside. No matter how many times I've gone in, I always take time when I'm in Rome to visit, sit and just take in the interior.

I agree about just walking around the Centro Storico. One of the amazing things about Rome is you just turn a corner and there's a ruin, or a fascinating church, or something else. And yes, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva -- such a plain exterior, a total surprise when you go inside. (Including a Michelangelo that's been "defaced" with a loincloth.)

Who did you do your first trip to Rome tour with?

We used APTours (sharedtoursinitaly.com). Easy to organize a group tour. You create the group and people just sign up directly on their web site. You can cancel up to 10 days before without penalty.

We just returned and did a golf cart tour with Roberto of Gioia Tours and it was fantastic. (Lots of other options which you can see on the web site.) He's been doing tours for 20 years and can take you to lots of out of the way places. Just give him an idea of what you are interested in (art, history, etc)

We set things up by email and he responded within 24 hours. Highly recommend.