Princess Diamond Elite

peterandjoann

Notice how everyone always wants another level that is easily attainable by them. OP says he has 45 cruises so they set the bar at 50. If you had 20 you'd ask for a level at 25. If you had 5,000 cruise days you'd set the bar at 5,001. And so on and so forth.

Give it a rest. Most travel companies do not give more when changing programs benefits they take benefits away. Ask Hilton member about the 25% devaluation in points back in 2013. Ask Southwest Rapid Rewards members about the 14% devaluation of points back in 2014. Ask CCL and RCI.

You never see red card holders asking to make new levels now do you. Mom was wrong, you're not special.

Wow, I never expected so many negative responses to a light hearted, fun suggestion! And, some of the responses are actually "mean-spirited", I guess that's why this site is called Cruise Critic...emphasis on Critic, which most seem to be.

Wow, I never expected so many negative responses to a light hearted, fun suggestion! And, some of the responses are actually "mean-spirited", I guess that's why this site is called Cruise Critic...emphasis on Critic, which most seem to be.

Tis the season to be happy! I honestly don't care what level you are so long as you are nice to me? Did I feel any different on MSC when I was on my first cruise with them, rather than being Elite on Princess? No just grateful I can still cruise and enjoy seeing the world.

With all due respect I don't know what you are striving for?

I am looking for a vacation that meets my needs whether it is on Princess or not.

Reader

Nothing much. Mostly recognition and a new level to strive for. Maybe Princess could even come up with some additional perk that wouldn't cost much since there wouldn't be that many people to collect on it anyway.

Good thing you didn't ask about taking the room steward a gift.. Or heavens forbid a formal night question.. This bunch would have really gone crazy.. :o

Edited by Kenswing

I reached Diamond level on RCL eight years ago but their Diamond

Plus and Pinnacle levels are too far out there for reason.

So we just completed our second Princess cruise and now I have found out we can take one, two and three night cruises on Princess and catapult to Elite level in no time. Maybe I can make Elite by mid 2017?

I think I'll book inside cabins. That might ruffle some feathers :D

For future reference: there is nothing light-hearted or fun in seeking others' approval by copying and pasting a letter sent to company management. Puts everyone on the defensive, as you have seen. If you wished to be engaged in reasonable discussion perhaps you should start by addressing your fellow members directly next time.

I'd be interested in knowing if there are any Princess Cruisers out there that agree with what I have proposed to Princess. The following is what I sent them a few months ago. And, if you agree with my proposal, forward it onto them showing your support.

Peter and Jo Ann Hall

Any re-do of the loyalty program should be based on days (or credit days) on board and not on cruises. Days make sense since each day on board equates to predicted revenue. At some point I believe a change is coming.

Princess will change their program when they feel it is to their marketing advantage for all their passengers, and when changes will increase the return rates of their customers. Always think of a loyalty program in terms of how much additional income the cruise line will make, not in terms of how much the return passenger will get.

Any re-do of the loyalty program should be based on days (or credit days) on board and not on cruises. Days make sense since each day on board equates to predicted revenue. At some point I believe a change is coming.

Princess will change their program when they feel it is to their marketing advantage for all their passengers, and when changes will increase the return rates of their customers. Always think of a loyalty program in terms of how much additional income the cruise line will make, not in terms of how much the return passenger will get.

When the original Captains Circle program was initiated I doubt if they though there would be as many Platinum and Elite members as there are today. As you say, with all the short cruises being offered lately, the only fair way to apply levels is by the number of days but since they already have the rules set based on cruises it's also not fair to eliminate that rule.

Not that it makes any difference once you reach Elite level anyway.

When the original Captains Circle program was initiated I doubt if they though there would be as many Platinum and Elite members as there are today. As you say, with all the short cruises being offered lately, the only fair way to apply levels is by the number of days but since they already have the rules set based on cruises it's also not fair to eliminate that rule.

Not that it makes any difference once you reach Elite level anyway.

The difference that comes to mind is the Loyalty OBC, which goes up as the number of cruises, and the fabled invite to the MTP which is strictly number of days.

And 50th and 75th and 100th cruises apparently attract benefits just for that cruise.

On the other hand, if you had spent around 10 minutes of browsing the page(s) that you posted on, you would have found many threads already started on this very subject. So before you start criticizing us, maybe you should take a look at your own actions.

Nor do I believe your suggestions were light hearted or a fun suggestion. Did you really write to the senior management of a major cruise line then post it here for fun or were you actually trying to make a point? It is easy to back step when you see your comments from someone else's point of view.

IF they were to change it the only fair way would be days and not cruises. A person could take one cruise and be at Elite or take many 1 or 2 dayers.

Edited by notentirelynormal

On the other hand, if you had spent around 10 minutes of browsing the page(s) that you posted on, you would have found many threads already started on this very subject. So before you start criticizing us, maybe you should take a look at your own actions.

Nor do I believe your suggestions were light hearted or a fun suggestion. Did you really write to the senior management of a major cruise line then post it here for fun or were you actually trying to make a point? It is easy to back step when you see your comments from someone else's point of view.

IF they were to change it the only fair way would be days and not cruises. A person could take one cruise and be at Elite or take many 1 or 2 dayers.

Not only do I like your post...but what an awesome screen name ,because who among us is! :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

The difference that comes to mind is the Loyalty OBC, which goes up as the number of cruises, and the fabled invite to the MTP which is strictly number of days. You're right. I forgot about that angle. :D I would hate to lose out to someone for the MT lunch based on cruise number only. :(

And 50th and 75th and 100th cruises apparently attract benefits just for that cruise.

:):):)

Remember back in the day when you reached elite flyer levels with airlines based on the number of segments you flew. They have since changed that and for a reason. I believe loyalty levels should be based on a formula that includes;

A) number of nights cruised

B) type of room booked , meaning dollars spent. Bonus points for cruising in a top suite versus the cheapest inside cabin.

Levels and recongition should of course be based on who spends the most time on their ships but they should not overlook who spends the most money to be on their ships.

Remember back in the day when you reached elite flyer levels with airlines based on the number of segments you flew. They have since changed that and for a reason. I believe loyalty levels should be based on a formula that includes;

A) number of nights cruised

B) type of room booked , meaning dollars spent. Bonus points for cruising in a top suite versus the cheapest inside cabin.

Levels and recongition should of course be based on who spends the most time on their ships but they should not overlook who spends the most money to be on their ships.

LOL. :D If that ever comes about the Elite level would be trimmed for sure.

There would be no incentive for me to return to Princess based on my dollars spent.

It's always nice to have another level to shoot for while it doesn't cost the cruise line a dime.

You make it sound like a video game.....what about enjoying the cruise itself? I am actually relieved that there is no other level to worry about achieving, just relaxing and enjoying my vacation.

No disrespect to any ones opinion, but going back to the original posting, if it's all about recognition, then at the captain circle party stand up take your bows and be happy.

Bottom line I don't think princess wants to make this into such a circus that some passengers feel like they are second class.

Their bottom line is to make all passengers feel welcomed, bot to create a caste system. That went out when cruising was first started and shipping lines eliminated first, second and steerage classes.

You make it sound like a video game.....what about enjoying the cruise itself? I am actually relieved that there is no other level to worry about achieving, just relaxing and enjoying my vacation.

Oh, I do enjoy the ship + the perks that come with being at my level sure make things nicer. Of course if you don't want yours you can always give them to someone else on the ship that might appreciate them more. ie. laundry, setup, wine tasting, lounge, invite to MTP.

I will jump in here...

I am not Elite. I still have a bit to go (and am having a great time getting there).

I think the tier structure is fine where it is. What worries me about another level is Princess will take some of the Elite perks and move them to that higher level... say the free laundry for example (because, face it... on some cruises with a big bunch of Elite-- the laundry perk becomes a giant PITA for the ship to deal with). I think there is an inherent danger of passengers actually losing perks in a restructure.

So far it is working just the way it is. There is no need to fix what is not broken.

Edited by TracieABD