Riviera 12/12/1015

lais

We are on the current cruise that left Miami Dec. 12. We have asked about the laundry and are told laundry is still code red- what ever the heck that is. The crew does not posses good communication or customer service skills. They just say they don't know when the laundry will reopen. We have been told all self service laundry facilities are closed. Another passenger told us they have been closed for several weeks- well before this departure. I will do a review when we are done with this cruise (I am counting days until we arrive in Miami) but am disappointed that this experience has not matched in any way what we have heard about this cruise line. This is our first and last Oceania trip. We have meet many other passengers who have expressed same reaction - both first time Oceania and repeat customers.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. Certainly hope it is for more reasons than just closed laundries.

Your experience seems different from some other posters on this thread that are on your cruise. Hopefully you will expand on this in your review.

Laundry is still code red?????

Code Red is the term used by other cruise lines when there is a Noro outbreak:eek::confused:

I am sorry to hear that your experience on O mirrored ours.

When the ship arrived in Miami on the 2nd Dec it was deep cleaned and all the 84 cases of Norovirus were dissenbarked.

The following 10 day cruise started after 72 hours further cases of NV and GI were reported which continued for the length of the cruise.

After further 7 days the passengers are still under code red !!! With loss of aminites to everybody ,I feel that the virus is still aboard, my feeling is that the crew are at fault because all most all new arrivals to cruise ships and have not been trained properly in the hygeine standards needed in this contained space of a cruise ship.

Unless they can get it under control by the end of this cruise I would be nervous about boarding for the next cruise !!

Are there any actual known cases of Noro (or any severe GI illness) on this current cruise?

Can anyone currently onboard answer?

Is it possible that they are being ultra-cautious about getting/keeping it under control?

As for the launderettes, without being too graphic, if the water isn't forced to be ultra-hot (that is, if pax can select "warm" or "cold"), then this could be a very unfortunate-but-excellent way to spread "things".

Regular detergent isn't going to do a thing with clothing that is, um, contaminated.

Many thanks!

GeezerCouple

As for the launderettes, without being too graphic, if the water isn't forced to be ultra-hot (that is, if pax can select "warm" or "cold"), then this could be a very unfortunate-but-excellent way to spread "things".
Finally! Such an informed post, GeezerCouple. We were on Riviera from Venice to Miami (Nov 7 - Dec 2) and the cruise was a good one . . . for us. Must say I agree wholeheartedly with you and thank you for providing rationale for the most likely reason the laundrettes continue to be off-limits to passengers.

And you did it with wording even Emily Post would have to admit was gentile. ;)

Oh, and just in case anyone expects me to get into whether the ship should offer "free" or reduced-price laundry service, well, nope, not getting into that fray. :rolleyes:

Are there any actual known cases of Noro (or any severe GI illness) on this current cruise?

Can anyone currently onboard answer?

Is it possible that they are being ultra-cautious about getting/keeping it under control?

Regular detergent isn't going to do a thing with clothing that is, um, contaminated.

Many thanks!

GeezerCouple

So, what is the answer? Will the ship ever be Noro free? I am sure it will soon be and are waiting to hear if there are any cases on board now.

according to the concierge, there has been a case of Acute Gastritic Illness. He said that this is NOT a norovirus case. The big however here is that the laundry rooms must stay closed for 72 hours after the report of this case. The concierge indicated that they must follow the CDC protocol.

So, with the laundries closed, they're offering 20 items washed and folded for $24.95. This is a great offer if you have clothes that don't need to be ironed.

I must disagree with the person who posted that the staff response is lacking. We've had no problems communicating with the wonderful people who are taking care of us on the Riviera. Any questions I've had have been answered. The staff is always both cordial and helpful.

I find it so interesting that two people on the same ship can have such different experiences.

We see no reason not to sail with Oceania again.:)

Edited by tgg

When the ship arrived in Miami on the 2nd Dec it was deep cleaned and all the 84 cases of Norovirus were dissenbarked.

The following 10 day cruise started after 72 hours further cases of NV and GI were reported which continued for the length of the cruise.

After further 7 days the passengers are still under code red !!! With loss of aminites to everybody ,I feel that the virus is still aboard, my feeling is that the crew are at fault because all most all new arrivals to cruise ships and have not been trained properly in the hygeine standards needed in this contained space of a cruise ship.

Unless they can get it under control by the end of this cruise I would be nervous about boarding for the next cruise !!

After leaving Miami on the 12th we had to wait 72 hrs for restrictions to be lifted ,then 2 cases of NV were reported, so we had to start again with another 72 hrs.

From this point we had a daily report as to the state of health issues on board from the captain at 6pm every evening.

He reported to us after 2 days that the NV was clear of the ship ,but 2 cases of GI had been reported, this continued until the end of the cruise with 1 or 2 people reporting every day with GI.

This seems to have been the same continuing problem as there is still a code red aboard with people still reporting with GI, the conditions cannot be lifted until the ship is clear for 72 hrs.

I think maybe Oceania should be looking elsewhere for the source of the GI ???

We are on the current cruise that left Miami Dec. 12. We have asked about the laundry and are told laundry is still code red- what ever the heck that is. The crew does not posses good communication or customer service skills. They just say they don't know when the laundry will reopen. We have been told all self service laundry facilities are closed. Another passenger told us they have been closed for several weeks- well before this departure. I will do a review when we are done with this cruise (I am counting days until we arrive in Miami) but am disappointed that this experience has not matched in any way what we have heard about this cruise line. This is our first and last Oceania trip. We have meet many other passengers who have expressed same reaction - both first time Oceania and repeat customers.

We will be first time cruisers with Oceania (Riviera) in February. So far, from the many threads that I have read, I do not have high hopes of wanting to repeat a cruise on O after our initial cruise. I sure hope I am wrong, though! :(;)

Could someone help me out? I have been trying to track pricing (in USD) for my cruise (see signature for date) to see about upgrading from a B3 to a PH. The TA that I usually track rates with is not showing this cruise. I cannot seem to find availability on other sites. Could someone who knows where to find them, please check and show the rates for each category, here?

We will be first time cruisers with Oceania (Riviera) in February. So far, from the many threads that I have read, I do not have high hopes of wanting to repeat a cruise on O after our initial cruise. I sure hope I am wrong, though! :(;)

Could someone help me out? I have been trying to track pricing (in USD) for my cruise (see signature for date) to see about upgrading from a B3 to a PH. The TA that I usually track rates with is not showing this cruise. I cannot seem to find availability on other sites. Could someone who knows where to find them, please check and show the rates for each category, here?

looks like PH is waitlisted on your cruise.

but here is the link. You can see prices any time by just pretending that you are thinking about booking...https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-RVA160212/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2016%7C02%23ships%3DRVA

that should take you directly to it.

Copying and pasting does not work out well - so try that first.

After leaving Miami on the 12th we had to wait 72 hrs for restrictions to be lifted ,then 2 cases of NV were reported, so we had to start again with another 72 hrs.

From this point we had a daily report as to the state of health issues on board from the captain at 6pm every evening.

He reported to us after 2 days that the NV was clear of the ship ,but 2 cases of GI had been reported, this continued until the end of the cruise with 1 or 2 people reporting every day with GI.

This seems to have been the same continuing problem as there is still a code red aboard with people still reporting with GI, the conditions cannot be lifted until the ship is clear for 72 hrs.

Are you referring to the Dec 2nd cruise because I have not heard the captain saying any of these things He just says wash your hands but I also heard that from the captain in Holland and Celebrity. I do notice most people using the hand sanitizer and there is constant cleaning. I have not heard of anyone being sick.

Are you referring to the Dec 2nd cruise because I have not heard the captain saying any of these things He just says wash your hands but I also heard that from the captain in Holland and Celebrity. I do notice most people using the hand sanitizer and there is constant cleaning. I have not heard of anyone being sick.

Sorry should read the 2nd Dec !!

There is coffee tea and oj. No cookies or finger sandwiches.

Too bad. Same as our cruise.

O needs to take some lessons from other lines.

They still offer the goodies but they are served. But they have a dome you can close or the treats are sealed tight so that no passenger can not touch them in these circumstances unless the concierge accesses it and serves. And yes, the concierge serves when it is this type of situation.

Edited by kazu

according to the concierge, there has been a case of Acute Gastritic Illness. He said that this is NOT a norovirus case. The big however here is that the laundry rooms must stay closed for 72 hours after the report of this case. The concierge indicated that they must follow the CDC protocol.

So, with the laundries closed, they're offering 20 items washed and folded for $24.95. This is a great offer if you have clothes that don't need to be ironed.

I must disagree with the person who posted that the staff response is lacking. We've had no problems communicating with the wonderful people who are taking care of us on the Riviera. Any questions I've had have been answered. The staff is always both cordial and helpful.

I find it so interesting that two people on the same ship can have such different experiences.

Thank you very much.

This is encouraging.

Please do keep us posted, as there are still a few days to go.

And we hope that all continues to go well.

Happy Holidays!

GeezerCouple

[sNIP] O needs to take some lessons from other lines. They still offer the goodies but they are served. But they have a dome you can close or the treats are sealed tight so that no passenger can not touch them in these circumstances unless the concierge accesses it and serves. And yes, the concierge serves when it is this type of situation.

From my recollection of the lounge on Marina, they have the domes over the food (and tongs) but the problem is that the concierge is not on duty non-stop, plus the concierge's desk is on the opposite end of the room. And when the concierge is on duty, he or she is helping people with other things, not serving food. (I used the concierge for setting up Meet & Greets as one example.)

Now maybe delegating a waiter to stay in the lounge during those hours to serve food would be an answer but given the traffic in the lounge -- which is not all that heavy much of the time -- wouldn't be all that practical.

While there are tongs for picking up items, no one is watching to make sure that people use them or that people don't pick up an item, look at it and decide they don't want it and then toss it back. I don't see a way around that.

I didn't use the lounge much for snacks but I did on several occasions, so I would miss its convenience. But if I really need a snack I could still order room service ...

As long as there are problems with bugs going around it seems to me the answer is to do as O has, and not leave out food. Too bad ... it was a nice convenience but not something that I consider essential.

Mura

From my recollection of the lounge on Marina, they have the domes over the food (and tongs) but the problem is that the concierge is not on duty non-stop, plus the concierge's desk is on the opposite end of the room. And when the concierge is on duty, he or she is helping people with other things, not serving food. (I used the concierge for setting up Meet & Greets as one example.)

Now maybe delegating a waiter to stay in the lounge during those hours to serve food would be an answer but given the traffic in the lounge -- which is not all that heavy much of the time -- wouldn't be all that practical.

While there are tongs for picking up items, no one is watching to make sure that people use them or that people don't pick up an item, look at it and decide they don't want it and then toss it back. I don't see a way around that.

I didn't use the lounge much for snacks but I did on several occasions, so I would miss its convenience. But if I really need a snack I could still order room service ...

As long as there are problems with bugs going around it seems to me the answer is to do as O has, and not leave out food. Too bad ... it was a nice convenience but not something that I consider essential.

Mura

The dome I am talking about goes all the way down and covers the food Mura.

What I saw on Riviera (which I believe is the sister to Marina) were what I call sneeze guards. So food can still be touched.

Not quite the same thing.

I hear you on the concierge duties. The concierge's desk is poorly located IMO. The are in a corner and it is hard for them to see what is going on in te lounge. It's the same on other cruise lines too as far as concierge duties and work load goes. And on those they do serve food when Noro raises it's ugly head and yes, they have help from the wait staff that are in there prepping, adding and cleaning up.

No biggie for me either, but just an observation.

The same for the equivalent of Baristas on another line. All the pastries, etc. are under glass and served anyways so Noro has no impact.

The same for the equivalent of Baristas on another line. All the pastries, etc. are under glass and served anyways so Noro has no impact.

I agree I like the Explorations Cafe method

i-HWX3HHp-M.jpg

The food on marina/Riviera is too high & people take the plate off the shelf get what they want & put the plate of food back up on the shelf EWWW

Edited by LHT28

Kazu,

I beg to differ a bit. My recollection (and it's at least a year since I was in the Executive Lounge on Marina) was that the dome was FULL coverage ... as opposed to what you see in the buffet. I could be wrong on that and stand to be corrected!

(Our last cruise on Marina was in April/May '15 when we also had a Noro outbreak but I don't believe we ventured into the lounge at all on that cruise. So I'm talking a while back.)

I agree that if the dome isn't full coverage, yes, we're talking apples and oranges.

I am wondering if the set-up could be different between the Concierge Lounge and the Executive Lounge but I would doubt that.

As to Baristas, I've maybe three times picked up a macchiato or some such but never the pastries ... So I won't debate that point! I don't intentionally go to Baristas but if I'm passing by ...

I'd love to meet you on a cruise sometime but given your negative feelings about O these days (which I DO understand), that may not happen ... If our next two cruises devolve the way yours did, I could change my mind! But I am trusting that yours was an aberration ... at least I HOPE so.

Mura

Well! Two very different experiences and reports. We board in about two weeks, so they have one more cruise between this one and ours to get things in order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

About the launderette - thanks for the VERY delicately worded explanation. That makes perfect sense to me. If I board and see the launderette open, I'm going to be ecstatic, because I will assume that means they've gone for a specified amount of time with no noro.

Either way, we're going to be super careful about our own hygiene habits, that's for sure!

Kazu,

I beg to differ a bit. My recollection (and it's at least a year since I was in the Executive Lounge on Marina) was that the dome was FULL coverage ... as opposed to what you see in the buffet. I could be wrong on that and stand to be corrected!

(Our last cruise on Marina was in April/May '15 when we also had a Noro outbreak but I don't believe we ventured into the lounge at all on that cruise. So I'm talking a while back.)

I agree that if the dome isn't full coverage, yes, we're talking apples and oranges.

I am wondering if the set-up could be different between the Concierge Lounge and the Executive Lounge but I would doubt that.

As to Baristas, I've maybe three times picked up a macchiato or some such but never the pastries ... So I won't debate that point! I don't intentionally go to Baristas but if I'm passing by ...

I'd love to meet you on a cruise sometime but given your negative feelings about O these days (which I DO understand), that may not happen ... If our next two cruises devolve the way yours did, I could change my mind! But I am trusting that yours was an aberration ... at least I HOPE so.

Mura

thanks Mura!

I was only in the Executive Lounge on Riviera - the one on the 11th floor. I wasn't in the Concierge Lounge so I can't speak to the concierge lounge.

It would be great to meet you on a cruise someday too.

I hope for everyone's sake that our cruise and the one after it were an anomaly and you all have great cruises on O.

A cruise ship is not a closed environment, passengers are getting off at every cruise port and many eat, drink and interact with other human beings. Some will eat bad food, some will drink too much resulting in GI symptoms. Others will pick up infectious bugs and get sick.

I'm not sure what research or investigation Oceania should be doing to find the " source of GI" in the fluid, open environment of a cruise ship.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath.

looks like PH is waitlisted on your cruise.

but here is the link. You can see prices any time by just pretending that you are thinking about booking...https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-RVA160212/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2016%7C02%23ships%3DRVA

that should take you directly to it.

Copying and pasting does not work out well - so try that first.

Thank you so much! I have never been able to find that on Oceania's web page. I thought I had to ask for a quote. :rolleyes:

Well, too bad that there are no PH's left. The rate seems to have gone up since we booked our B3 - 7111, unless those rates include the air. We purchased without the air.

Received our docs in the mail today. Getting excited! :) One other question. I was under the impression that this was not a terribly dressy cruiseline, yet the models in the brochure are sure dressed up. Is that typical of the dress?

Edited by Iamthesea

Thank you so much! I have never been able to find that on Oceania's web page. I thought I had to ask for a quote. :rolleyes:

Well, too bad that there are no PH's left. The rate seems to have gone up since we booked our B3 - 7111, unless those rates include the air. We purchased without the air.

Received our docs in the mail today. Getting excited! :) One other question. I was under the impression that this was not a terribly dressy cruiseline, yet the models in the brochure are sure dressed up. Is that typical of the dress?

The prices on O website do include the airfare

Some other Countries website for O does not show prices or availability

What Country are you located in? that may be why you cannot see the status of some Cat

The models in the brochures are just that - models.

Suffice it to say that men never need to wear a jacket or a tie, unless they wish to. You can dress up or down - your choice.

Think of how you would go to have a dinner at a nice restaurant at home (rather than McD). Daytime attire is very casual everywhere on the ship - shorts & sandals, etc; evening a bit more dressy but not formal.

If you do a search on this forum, there are many threads on Country Club casual dress code. Some of these are here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2236026&highlight=country+club+casual

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157112&highlight=country+club+casual

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2143794&highlight=country+club+casual

..and others

I hope that you will enjoy your cruise.