Royal not so loyal

contessa1

If the reason you need to change / cancel was due to a medical reason with a doctor's note even if you did not have insurance they would work with you. I don't see why they need to change the rules simply because you changed your mind on going on this cruise. I understand your frustration but imagine if they did this and you posted on these boards that they made an exception they would be getting thousands of calls of people trying to do the same.

I agree that Disney has great customer service however what was posted is apples to oranges on what they OP is stating. Disney cruise line is not as flexible as their parks, If you tried to do the same as the OP on a Disney cruise you would have the same results without "cancel for any reason" insurance

Hope you go with an open mind and speak with the dining room manager the first day on the ship and nicely tell them your issues on this cruise and hopefully they will make it better for you

They will not always work with you if you need to move a cruise due to a medical reason. We had to cancel and they would not let us move to a cruise six months later. I spoke to C&A and resolutions multiple times and they would not budge at all. We did have insurance and filed a claim which was fully covered, but the it took four phone calls to get the correct refund from the cruise line so we could file our insurance claim.

I agree that Disney has great customer service however what was posted is apples to oranges on what they OP is stating. Disney cruise line is not as flexible as their parks, If you tried to do the same as the OP on a Disney cruise you would have the same results without "cancel for any reason" insurance

I would tend to believe Disney has great customer service across the board for all its products. Can't be certain though since I've only cruised Disney once.

Maybe an avid Disney Cruise Line poster would care to provide some input if they had a similar problem and Disney took care of it without heartache.

"Ourusualbeach" thank you so much for understanding what I posted.

I am perfectly willing to pay the additional $200 and asked for absolutely no special compensation whatsoever. As I see it it is lateral move from one ship to another and one that I am willing to pay an additional charge for as well as have two less days at sea. I have cruised with Royal as well as Celebrity for years.

And NO I do not think that I am entitled to anything more than anyone else.

I posted this in hopes that somewhere someone else may have been in a similar situation and could advise me .

It is no wonder people hesitate to post on this forum sometimes.....very judgemental comments made for no reason.

I agree with you. There is never a reason to be nasty! If you disagree with someone you can choose to do it in a respectful manner. This is why CC has such a bad reputation.

I would tend to believe Disney has great customer service across the board for all its products. Can't be certain though since I've only cruised Disney once.

Maybe an avid Disney Cruise Line poster would care to provide some input if they had a similar problem and Disney took care of it without heartache.

I am an avid Disney cruise traveler, platinum on DCL, I had an issue once where something came up for work after final payment and had to change my date. Disney would not change it without penalty and I did escalate it but they stood firm and I understood that since it was their policy and pretty much all cruise line policy. I also purchase insurance and did have the cancel for any reason option and did use that to cancel the cruise and then rebook the one I could travel on.

Edited by jonj

I just returned this morning from a 12 day western Caribbean on the Anthem.the ship is beautiful...the embarkation was quick and stress free...however it seems as if Royal's new concept of cruising on Anthem really falls flat.

Staff was wonderful,very helpful even though they seem to be out there on their own without much direction from management. Food was not good at all.once again staff tried their best but I've come to expect much more from Royal Caribbean and they definitely did not deliver.

That said, I am booked once again on the Jan. 25 cruise on the Anthem...same itinerary. Had I known before booking my January cruise that I would return home today for the first time in 30 cruises as disappointed as I am, I would never have booked a second one on Anthem.

I just got off the phone with a rep from Royal and asked if it is possible to change my sailing date and embarkation port from Anthem on 1/25 to Grandeur

From Baltimore on 2/3. I was promptly told no that this would be a cancellation.

This regardless of the fact that the sailing on the Grandeur was 10 days as opposed to the Anthem that was 2 days longer (12 days) and the Grandeur would cost me an additional $200 for a shorter time at sea. I asked for no price reduction, no special accommodations just a lateral move from one ship to another. The rep checked again with his supervisor and advised me that "the system" would view this as a cancellation and since final payment was already made I would be subject a penalty. I asked if this could not be done manually. I was told no...."the system will show it as a cancellation".

I am extremely annoyed at this point by Royal who apparently expects US to be loyal but when it comes to making an exception for a very Loyal customer I suppose the same treatment is not in order.

Food is so subjective. We were on the same sailing and thought the food was excellent. Our only regret is that we didn't stay for a Back2Back.

I don't understand how you would think that the staff did not have direction from management. Hotel Director Dean Bailey is an amazing leader and his Manager Hotel Operation is equally so.

Would you please give examples to back up your opinion.

Weird- I recently had the same problem in October. Miles suddenly removed from our accounts for inactivity. Got the same initial answer and was equally frustrated.

Also had a flight booked for the future etc. The phone rep I spoke to actually called me back and reinstated our miles. She said that their policies had changed recently and she hadn't been aware.

So you may want to make one last call explaining your situation to someone else.

Are you not using a Mileage Plus card? Using the card counts as activity. Y'all scared me, so I looked up the rules.

We got hit with the Lufthansa strike and had to fly home on American (last minute, one way tickets - yikes). United refunded the taxes and fees, and redeposited our miles with no penalty. So, yes, corporation can and will bend rules.

I have no problem with the OP's request for a change. I'm of the opinion that there's no harm in asking. If I didn't get the answer I wanted, I might even take another shot with another rep. That said, I wouldn't complain about it here on CC. It just seems a little over the top calling them not loyal for sticking to a rule.

I just returned this morning from a 12 day western Caribbean on the Anthem.the ship is beautiful...the embarkation was quick and stress free...however it seems as if Royal's new concept of cruising on Anthem really falls flat.

Staff was wonderful,very helpful even though they seem to be out there on their own without much direction from management. Food was not good at all.once again staff tried their best but I've come to expect much more from Royal Caribbean and they definitely did not deliver.

That said, I am booked once again on the Jan. 25 cruise on the Anthem...same itinerary. Had I known before booking my January cruise that I would return home today for the first time in 30 cruises as disappointed as I am, I would never have booked a second one on Anthem.

I just got off the phone with a rep from Royal and asked if it is possible to change my sailing date and embarkation port from Anthem on 1/25 to Grandeur

From Baltimore on 2/3. I was promptly told no that this would be a cancellation.

This regardless of the fact that the sailing on the Grandeur was 10 days as opposed to the Anthem that was 2 days longer (12 days) and the Grandeur would cost me an additional $200 for a shorter time at sea. I asked for no price reduction, no special accommodations just a lateral move from one ship to another. The rep checked again with his supervisor and advised me that "the system" would view this as a cancellation and since final payment was already made I would be subject a penalty. I asked if this could not be done manually. I was told no...."the system will show it as a cancellation".

I am extremely annoyed at this point by Royal who apparently expects US to be loyal but when it comes to making an exception for a very Loyal customer I suppose the same treatment is not in order.

Sorry, but I do not see anything wrong on Royal's part of not letting you change ships this late.

Hoping you have trip insurance to cover the cancellation in case you go that route.

Edited by Arzeena

"Ourusualbeach" thank you so much for understanding what I posted.

I am perfectly willing to pay the additional $200 and asked for absolutely no special compensation whatsoever. As I see it it is lateral move from one ship to another and one that I am willing to pay an additional charge for as well as have two less days at sea. I have cruised with Royal as well as Celebrity for years.

And NO I do not think that I am entitled to anything more than anyone else.

I posted this in hopes that somewhere someone else may have been in a similar situation and could advise me .

It is no wonder people hesitate to post on this forum sometimes.....very judgemental comments made for no reason.

You have every right to post.This is why royal can do anything they want,and the cheer leaders will continue to cheer.They have all these so called sales,they raise the price make a cut and call it a sale.From what i hear i will not sail on a quantum class ship.:)

Are you not using a Mileage Plus card? Using the card counts as activity. Y'all scared me, so I looked up the rules.

No, but my husband got one. There was a 50k bonus offer so we got that and then they gave us the miles back anyway.

After that I read all the rules for keeping your miles active. We usually fly at least once a year so never thought about it before.

Edited by marci22

It is a rule but seeing how OP was so unhappy and how she was willing to purchase a more expensive cruise, it's too bad they didn't want to do it.

That being said, if I had noticed resistance at first, I would have just hung up and called back in a bit. Don't prolong the note-taking by the rep. okthanksbye.

So many times people post here about Royal bending rules, I would have asked too. I think OP was doubly upset because she was so disappointed in the last cruise. She didn't just change her mind on a whim. Too bad they couldn't bend the rules here.

Maybe they are having a problem filling Anthem (after all the negative reviews) and were worried about reselling the cabin.

I just returned this morning from a 12 day western Caribbean on the Anthem.the ship is beautiful...the embarkation was quick and stress free...however it seems as if Royal's new concept of cruising on Anthem really falls flat

Hi Contessa1, I tried to send you a message but that option must be turned off.

Don't let all the Negative Nancys get to you.

Either way, perhaps your second cruise on the Anthem of the Seas will be much better and you will have a great time!

I find it quite coincidental that those who posts complaints lately on this forum not only in RCCL but in other cruise lines as well are "newbies."

Seems many register lately just to post complaints...

I can think of several reasons for the observation.

1. Finding "facts" to confirm a hypothesis, i.e. no data to backup observation.
  2. Many lurk and only register when they have something they wish to contribute.
  3. Would not surprise me to learn that experienced posters use an anonymous username to avoid the needless bashing that often responds to negatives.
  4. Given the vitriol often directed at negative comments, few posters return.

Edited by broberts

You did ask for something that no one expects or gets

This is not true. I know 2 couples that were able to move their cruise from Oasis to Allure a week before sailing with no penalty. Call and speak with someone else.

OP- Don't worry about the L2RFC (loyal 2 Royal freak crew) who can't believe that someone would ever have something negative against their child.. I mean favorite cruise line. Its amazing how people are so obsessed with this crap and spend their days and nights replying to threads only to criticize and stalk you to see how many times you posted or when you joined this forum to justify whether or not your post is credible. What a bunch of weirdos. Just by a quick glance at the last page or so of the thread it is the usual cheerleaders/diamond members/+, self appointed moderators and ambassadors that pull out the rule book/scold you for even having such a request of THEIR beloved.....ummmm... Cruise line???

Edited by CaribSailor

This is not true. I know 2 couples that were able to move their cruise from Oasis to Allure a week before sailing with no penalty. Call and speak with someone else.

OP- Don't worry about the L2RFC (loyal 2 Royal freak crew) who can't believe that someone would ever have something negative against their child.. I mean favorite cruise line. Its amazing how people are so obsessed with this crap and spend their days and nights replying to threads only to criticize and stalk you to see how many times you posted or when you joined this forum to justify whether or not your post is credible. What a bunch of weirdos. Just by a quick glance at the last page or so of the thread it is the usual cheerleaders/diamond members/+, self appointed moderators and ambassadors that pull out the rule book/scold you for even having such a request of THEIR beloved.....ummmm... Cruise line???

Well said.

It's not like they were asking for a straight cancellation without penalty - they were asking them to change something that would bring the cruise line more money. If there is not a way for the computer to effect that, and if each employee is not empowered to do that as a courtesy, then there ought to be...

Offhand I can't think of a business that wouldn't find a way to let the customer spend more.

Well said.

It's not like they were asking for a straight cancellation without penalty - they were asking them to change something that would bring the cruise line more money. If there is not a way for the computer to effect that, and if each employee is not empowered to do that as a courtesy, then there ought to be...

Offhand I can't think of a business that wouldn't find a way to let the customer spend more.

Agreed.

Point 1, citation needed. Just because OP wants to cancel a cheaper cruise and book a more expensive cruise doesn't mean it brings the cruise line more money. Properly planning a cruise requires making sure well in advance that the cruise line is managing things properly. Food, alcohol, crew, scheduling all the services to properly manage crowd flow and control -- these are not things that are so easy to change. It surprises me that cruise lines don't charge more as cruises get close, but maybe it's easier to add than take away.

If the stateroom in question that wants to be removed from a cruise close-in is occupied by passengers who are rewarded with amenities or perks, the ship also has to manage those changes -- do they need an extra bottle of wine? One single stateroom doesn't sound like a lot, but I can imagine the headache of making changes closer in and I can assume it isn't just "oh, we'll make more money, let's go and change all this stuff and spend manhours doing it."

Point 2 -- one of my businesses schedules custom jobs up to 2 months in advance. I am very very specific with my customers that once they approve their job and pay for it, that's the end of that. I schedule labor months in advance and if a customer decides to make changes, it can screw up workflow and add hours to my life to make those changes. I've had customers want to double their orders and complete them on the same dates and I've told them there's no room for workers to do the work like that.

I think OP probably would get some movement if they called back and talked to a different CSR, I'm sure each CSR has their own personal policy for helping out. But without knowing what RCI has to do to prepare for each stateroom and without knowing what it takes to make these changes, I can't agree that just because OP wants to spend more money that it would bring in more profit for the cruise line.

Is that the 1st chapter? Lol [emoji15] I challenge you to answer with 2 sentences or less. [emoji83]

Edited by CaribSailor