What beach to go to this time? (Family)

mitsugirly

We are heading back to St Maarten and looking for a nice beach to spend the day at. (At least) a family of 3, which consist of a 7 year old child who snorkels and thinks she's a fish.

We have already been to Orient, Mullet and Maho x2 and looking for something different this time around.

Thoughts on Little Bay? Le Galion? Any other suggestions?

Also, if there's any reviews on here from other cruisers (preferably picture reviews) of any suggested places, please let me know. Also, pricing for a taxi to any of these places, if there are facilities and what they serve along with pricing is an added plus. :D

Thanks in advance.

Look up Dawn Beach. It's before Orient. You can rent loungers etc. Snorkeling is good. There's a Weston or Marriott there. The beach is on the windward side and might be rough depending on the weather. When we were there, some of the wait staff from the ship were there too. We had a good time, but then we're "ol' folks" and don't have need for constant activity. Busby's has good food and drinks. About a 15 minute taxi ride from Phillipsburg.

For a quieter relaxed time look at Divi Beach. It's on the other side of the bay from the cruise docks. It's a resort but they do permit day guests. That's where we're thinking about going in a little over a year--but still in a research mode.. Can't opine on the cost or the snorkeling but water and beach should be calm.

With a 7 year old we strongly recommend just taking a taxi to lesser known Le Galion Beach. On that beach the water is somewhat sheltered and normally as calm as a swimming pool....and the very gradual sandy entrance is very conducive to families with younger children. There is also a decent beach cafe/bar on the beach that does rent chairs. Perhaps the best beach experts (the residents) speak the loudest since this is where they take their little ones, and its also the same beach used by local schools for beach breaks/picnics.

One caution about Le Galion. It is possible there would not be a taxi waiting when you are ready to return. So plan ahead and allow a little extra time to have the folks in the cafe call for a taxi (this usually only takes a few minutes). You can also ask your taxi to return at a specific time, but the drivers are not always 100% reliable (especially if they later get an all-day tour group).

Another advantage (for some) is that the Butterfly Farm is located on that same road that takes you to Le Galion. So if you want to take your family to this place you can ask your taxi to wait (you would have to pay extra) and also rush your family through this interesting attraction.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

With a 7 year old we strongly recommend just taking a taxi to lesser known Le Galion Beach. On that beach the water is somewhat sheltered and normally as calm as a swimming pool....and the very gradual sandy entrance is very conducive to families with younger children. There is also a decent beach cafe/bar on the beach that does rent chairs. Perhaps the best beach experts (the residents) speak the loudest since this is where they take their little ones, and its also the same beach used by local schools for beach breaks/picnics.

One caution about Le Galion. It is possible there would not be a taxi waiting when you are ready to return. So plan ahead and allow a little extra time to have the folks in the cafe call for a taxi (this usually only takes a few minutes). You can also ask your taxi to return at a specific time, but the drivers are not always 100% reliable (especially if they later get an all-day tour group).

Another advantage (for some) is that the Butterfly Farm is located on that same road that takes you to Le Galion. So if you want to take your family to this place you can ask your taxi to wait (you would have to pay extra) and also rush your family through this interesting attraction.

Hank

Seconded - especially thinking of a young child. Our favorite is Dawn, because of the waves usually found - we both grew up swimming on ocean beaches on Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and the south shore of Long Island - so breaking waves are an attraction rather than a concern.

With three of you, the taxi fares would come to at least $40 to Dawn, more to Le Galion or any other beach; so you might want to think about reserving a rental car - which would reduce the concern about getting transportation back to the pier, while giving you the flexibility to make other stops, for very little more cost.

Look up Dawn Beach. It's before Orient. You can rent loungers etc. Snorkeling is good. Just wondering if anyone knows whether there are any potential issues in this area snorkelers need to be aware of? Like the stinging Sea Urchins mentioned in another area.

Look up Dawn Beach. It's before Orient. You can rent loungers etc. Snorkeling is good. Just wondering if anyone knows whether there are any potential issues in this area snorkelers need to be aware of? Like the stinging Sea Urchins mentioned in another area.

Ahhh, Dawn Beach. A nice place (with a decent shoreside bar/restaurant) but also a place subject to the winds and rough seas often found on the island during the winter. If you happen to be on the island when they have had a few days of very calm weather (no swells, small waves, little wind) then Dawn is a great place for snorkeling. However, these conditions are often a rarity during the popular winter months. And Dawn is not a particularly good beach for young children (the OP's question).

As to nasty water critters, it is a factor of the winds and currents and can vary. If you get a strong wind blowing in from the sea then you might encounter jellyfish (I hate those critters who have given me too many stings). On the other hand, you can sometimes snorkel or swim and there will not be any nasty critters within miles (unless you step or touch a Sea Urchin that is anchored to a nearby reef or rock). If you want a guarantee, stick to swimming pools that are 3 feet deep.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Look up Dawn Beach. It's before Orient. You can rent loungers etc. Snorkeling is good. There's a Weston or Marriott there. The beach is on the windward side and might be rough depending on the weather. When we were there, some of the wait staff from the ship were there too. We had a good time, but then we're "ol' folks" and don't have need for constant activity. Busby's has good food and drinks. About a 15 minute taxi ride from Phillipsburg.

For a quieter relaxed time look at Divi Beach. It's on the other side of the bay from the cruise docks. It's a resort but they do permit day guests. That's where we're thinking about going in a little over a year--but still in a research mode.. Can't opine on the cost or the snorkeling but water and beach should be calm.

I have heard Dawn is a nice place to go as well. It does kinda make me a little nervous if it is a place known for rough waves, although we have been to many places that this is the case and things are fine with the little one (like Maho is usually crazy waves).

Is Divi Beach the same as Little Bay? Or a different place? It sounds like it (or is this a resort place?)

Hank

Thanks for the info Hank. I will also check into the Butterfly Farm on that road. Is is actually called the "Butterfly Farm"? How long does it "normally" take to go through it?

Seconded - especially thinking of a young child. Our favorite is Dawn, because of the waves usually found - we both grew up swimming on ocean beaches on Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and the south shore of Long Island - so breaking waves are an attraction rather than a concern.

With three of you, the taxi fares would come to at least $40 to Dawn, more to Le Galion or any other beach; so you might want to think about reserving a rental car - which would reduce the concern about getting transportation back to the pier, while giving you the flexibility to make other stops, for very little more cost.

A rental car is not something we would ever consider. So that's out of the question. So a taxi for 3 people to Le Galion is going to cost $40+ ONE way? :eek: Yikes.

Any idea on taxi cost to Little Bay?

Just wondering, where is the snorkeling at Dawn Beach? Do you have to swim out to it a distance or is it closer to shore? Do you know how deep?

A rental car is not something we would ever consider. So that's out of the question. So a taxi for 3 people to Le Galion is going to cost $40+ ONE way? :eek: Yikes.

Just wondering, where is the snorkeling at Dawn Beach? Do you have to swim out to it a distance or is it closer to shore? Do you know how deep?

No - the $40 taxi cost I mentioned was for getting three both to and from Dawn. I would think taxi R/T to Little Bay might be a bit less.

The snorkeling at Dawn is pretty good, but the reef where there is most to see is quite a ways out from shore, and the water is pretty deep. Divi at Little Bay has a rock pile near shore where a lot of fish are and is pretty good for snorkeling. This would be better for a young child - and Le Galion would be best for a young one. The snorkeling there is only OK - it gets good out by the reef at the mouth of the bay, but that means a long swim, or a long walk to get around the bay.

I have been reading that Dawn's Beach has had a major seaweed problem lately? Has anyone been recently and seen this?

I was hoping to hear myself - we will be there for two weeks in January. Last year a fair amount regularly washed ashore, but the beach was raked clean every morning, and the swimming was still very good.

I have heard Dawn is a nice place to go as well. It does kinda make me a little nervous if it is a place known for rough waves, although we have been to many places that this is the case and things are fine with the little one (like Maho is usually crazy waves).

Is Divi Beach the same as Little Bay? Or a different place? It sounds like it (or is this a resort place?)

Thanks for the info Hank. I will also check into the Butterfly Farm on that road. Is is actually called the "Butterfly Farm"? How long does it "normally" take to go through it?

Yes, it is actually known as the "Butterfly Farm." DW and I have never gone to the place (not our thing) although we have passed the entrance numerous times when driving over to Le Galion. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.thebutterflyfarm.com/

The place does have a decent reputation.

Hank

St. Martin is actually a great place to rent a car. Driving is very safe and easy. We went all over the island and swam at half a dozen beaches in a day all for the $40 rental fee. I have read your reviews (and enjoyed them a lot!) and know what a good swimmer your daughter is. We liked the snorkeling down at the end of the road to the butterfly farm, although there are no services there. The snorkeling was only fair at Dawn Beach although the beach was beautiful.

St. Martin is actually a great place to rent a car. Driving is very safe and easy. We went all over the island and swam at half a dozen beaches in a day all for the $40 rental fee. I have read your reviews (and enjoyed them a lot!) and know what a good swimmer your daughter is. We liked the snorkeling down at the end of the road to the butterfly farm, although there are no services there. The snorkeling was only fair at Dawn Beach although the beach was beautiful.

Agreed - I do not get people's reluctance to rent cars on St. Maarten -- so much the best way to get around - and less expensive than taxis if making more than one stop.

Agreed - I do not get people's reluctance to rent cars on St. Maarten -- so much the best way to get around - and less expensive than taxis if making more than one stop.

On vacation people like to have a drink or three at the beach and drinking and driving is not accepted on the island ANYMORE ( true ). Cost is not the only factor.

Where and when did you rent for $40. It's been a few years since we rented from the pier but it was $90 ish for us plus gas. DH knows the island like the back of his hand, will be the DD for the day and we had 4 people once and 5 the other time so it's really cost effective, convenient and let's us avoid the areas where most cruisers visit.

You seem to like excursions as well. I would suggest that you look for a half day excursion and then head to Little Bay for a swim and snorkel.

There is no snorkeling at Le Galion and if you go on a weekend or when the school kids are off if can be very busy.

Le Galion and the Butterfly Farm is a great combo.

I like Grand Case. An easy day would be to taxi to the Grand Case beach club and rent chairs at Petite Plage, snorkel by the rocks, rent kayaks and paddle boards or take a snorkel trip out to Creole Rock ( might be too difficult for a 7 year old though, even a "fish" :) ) and walk restaurant row and have lunch at the Lolo's or one of the restaurants or Sunset Cafe back at the resort.

We are heading back to St Maarten and looking for a nice beach to spend the day at. (At least) a family of 3, which consist of a 7 year old child who snorkels and thinks she's a fish.

We have already been to Orient, Mullet and Maho x2 and looking for something different this time around.

Thoughts on Little Bay? Le Galion? Any other suggestions?

Also, if there's any reviews on here from other cruisers (preferably picture reviews) of any suggested places, please let me know. Also, pricing for a taxi to any of these places, if there are facilities and what they serve along with pricing is an added plus. :D

Thanks in advance.

We and friends take lunch and a beach stay at La Samana. Definitely away from the cruise herds. Just contact the Hotel Concierge direct for your lunch and stay requirements, and they will take care of everything, including your transportation.

concierge.las@belmond.com

Link to Hotel web for photographs and information:

http://www.belmond.com/la-samanna-st-martin/photo_tour

Edited by PORT ROYAL

This past summer we were at Le Gallion with a little one and the butterfly farm.the farm is small but very interesting much more than I thought it would be. It was the second time at the beach and great for young children

Clean quiet and calm like a lake, no snorkelling.

I have been to Dawn and Orient fun waves but at Dawn that year it had strong rip tides and knocked me out be ware.

I have never experienced " crazy waves " at Maho and we have visited a lot. I have sometimes experienced rolling waves there and at times the initial drop makes it quite deep even near the shore but Maho is a very swim able beach to me. Dawn beach has the choppy kind of waves not the rolling ones. I have been to Dawn far less times than I have been to Maho but there have been times when it has been too rough for me to go past my hips. The calmest visits at Dawn have been in March with July/August being considerably more choppy. Dawn is on the Atlantic side so if a summer storm is brewing in the Atlantic it makes sense that it's rougher then.

To me both Dawn and Little Bay are resort beaches. Dawn has the Westin and another resort at the end of the beach by Busby's bar and Little Bay has 2 timeshare resorts, Belair ( I think) and Divi.

I know that Little Bay is close to the cruise port, but how long does it take to actually get there? How much time should I allow for our return trip? There will be 4 ships in port that day and one of them is the Allure. :eek: We will be there from 8-5pm.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Le Galion beach and loved the calm water. They did have big toys out in the water like slides, etc. We went to the taxi stand and they put us in a van with others going to Orient Beach so apparently it is on the way. We did go by the butterfly farm. I think it was only something like $8 apiece but that was 2 years ago. Last year we did the beach right near the ship. It was not as nice and the water was rougher. We are older and need to be careful. :( We're going again this February and hoping to go to Le Galion again.

I know that Little Bay is close to the cruise port, but how long does it take to actually get there? How much time should I allow for our return trip? There will be 4 ships in port that day and one of them is the Allure. :eek: We will be there from 8-5pm.

Surprised that this didn't get a response. (I missed the question entirely)

15 minutes ought to do it, once the taxi takes off.

gary

We went to Le Galion beach and loved the calm water. They did have big toys out in the water like slides, etc. We went to the taxi stand and they put us in a van with others going to Orient Beach so apparently it is on the way. We did go by the butterfly farm. I think it was only something like $8 apiece but that was 2 years ago. Last year we did the beach right near the ship. It was not as nice and the water was rougher. We are older and need to be careful. :( We're going again this February and hoping to go to Le Galion again.

Before when I was researching where to go (last time we were there), Le Galion was on my "to-do" list. I didn't realize they had the water toys there. I had always heard the water is calm and I thought pretty shallow. Are the water toys really far out? I always thought they had to be in deeper water. Hopefully one of these visits I will make it there. We always try to go somewhere new. :)

Surprised that this didn't get a response. (I missed the question entirely)

15 minutes ought to do it, once the taxi takes off.

gary

Thank you so much Gary. So I guess maybe I should time it to return back to the ship around 3-3:30ish to be on the safe side? (Even though it's not far, with 4 ships in port and Allure being one of them, I don't want to be caught in traffic).