Wine in a Box?

TBone2K

Anyone try to bring on wine in a box instead of bottle? DF's already bought a box of his favorite vino, and we don't think it comes in a bottle.

I know policy says 2 bottles, however why wouldn't they allow a box?

"It worked for me" isn't really an answer here. Has anyone ever been confronted about wine in a box and was then allowed?

Anyone try to bring on wine in a box instead of bottle? DF's already bought a box of his favorite vino, and we don't think it comes in a bottle.

I know policy says 2 bottles, however why wouldn't they allow a box?

"It worked for me" isn't really an answer here. Has anyone ever been confronted about wine in a box and was then allowed?

Because the policy says 2 bottles.

Because the policy says 2 bottles.

true.. but this was when wine in a box was not only pooh poohed, it was considered downright scandalous.

while I stand by my assertion that Franzia and other wines in that size container are at risk for refusal, the small black boxes are a much better quality wine and many reputable vintners are not only embracing the (*gasp*) screw top they are actively doing the vacuum bag as well.

personally, I would think they'd be happier with a box over glass bottles that could break.

We took two boxes of wine on the Freedom in October for our cabin. Each was a 750 ml box. We had no trouble at all at the check point. We each carried one box. They are heavy! I was never so happy when the cabin was ready and we could drop the weight.

Kathryn

A box is like 5 bottles....give or take. You're only allowed 2 of the small/regular sized bottles...not the big bottles...not boxes.

You can get boxed or tetra pak wine in way more sizes outside of a box of Franzia. My mother in law loves her boxed wine (bless her!) and frequently cruises from FLL with a box in her baggage. I'm not sure if she checks it or does carry on, but she most definitely takes it with her.

box of his favorite vino

I don't understand? "Box", "Favorite"? While there are decent boxed wines, if they're a "favorite", then you need to keep exploring. Bring a couple of bottles, and order more aboard if you want.

One of my favorite wines is boxed red from Target (please no comments from the wine snob police). It comes in two different sizes (500ml and 1L). We've brought various combinations and have never been challenged. Unless you take the larger sized boxed wines (over 1L) you are unlikely to attract any attention from any of the screeners since most look like shampoo bottles (which a lot of people bring on board). :cool:

I know this is the RCCL board, however, we have always checked a 5L box of Franzia Sangria in our checked luggage, on Carnival, packed perfectly ( right in the middle of the suitcase ) and it has ALWAYS made it to the cabin.

From what I am told, the cardboard box doesn't show up well on the X-Ray machine.

May want to wrap it in a garbage bag to avoid any leaks:eek::eek:

Good Luck!!!!

From what I am told, the cardboard box doesn't show up well on the X-Ray machine.

But the wine inside certainly does.:cool:

Your chances of being called to the naughty room go up exponentially when you bring on board something that big.

I have done it on numerous cruises. I put it in the checked luggage, Never a word said. Now, I had a friend that tried to smuggle Crown Royal in his checked luggage and got called to the naughty room, it was held until the end of the cruise then he picked it up..... I say go for it! We even took on a case of beer in checked luggage about 12 yrs ago...

But the wine inside certainly does.:cool:

Your chances of being called to the naughty room go up exponentially when you bring on board something that big.

4 cruises and no issues...:D:D

We will continue to take our chances....:D

Never had a problem with a box of wine in our checked luggage.

Not trying to be snotty - BUT just say'n we don't drink boxed wine :rolleyes:

We take 2 bottle - buy 2 bottles before - in cabin when we get there and as D+ we get 2 bottle in room - PLENTY!

Merry Christmas to each of you- may your day be filled with family - friends - fun and all your heart's desires!