Will our 11 and 13 year olds enjoy themselves?

wrg11

Hi,

My DH and I took our first cruise on Princess a few years ago. We'd like to take our daughters with us the next time. DH and I had such a great time, but did notice that there weren't many children. We also have dietary needs (Meedsy oldest daughter and I have Celac Disease and require a gluten free diet) and Princess did a great job meeting those needs. Any suggestions? Should we be looking at another cruise line? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

My DH and I took our first cruise on Princess a few years ago. We'd like to take our daughters with us the next time. DH and I had such a great time, but did notice that there weren't many children. We also have dietary needs (Meedsy oldest daughter and I have Celiac Disease and require a gluten free diet) and Princess did a great job meeting those needs. Any suggestions? Should we be looking at another cruise line? Thanks in advance.

I don't see why not (Will they enjoy themselves). It depends on destination, time of year, and length of cruise as to how many younger kids and teens are on board. We don't know your girls, but even in the worst case, they will have each other.

I think your positive experience with a gluten free need should give you confidence that Princess can deliver again.

My wife got gluten free bread toasted every morning for breakfast on Regal last month.

I'm biased and I admit it, but I think Princess will take good care of you and you will have a good time.

Edited by steelers36

Agree about the time of year & length of cruise. More than a week, and you will have less families & more seniors.

We just did one week over Thanksgiving, and there were Loads of families & kids of all ages.

Thinking Easter week, spring break & summer, would be other good times for families.

As for Gluten free, agree they are up on it. Just be vigilant.

As to will they have fun...it depends on what they like to do. With 2 of them, they can hang together, swim, go to movies, etc. Obviously you'll choose port activities with them in mind. If they are stuck on the internet, they won't like the limits you'll undoubtedly place on them due to the cost on board.

Princess is not so much a teen oriented line as some others...like Royal Caribbean. Royal is big on activity things, some of which have extra costs. They have things on board like ice skating, climbing walls, etc. in addition to their kid program. Disney's tween program is a "love it or hate it" situation--they don't have the heavy physical stuff, but do neat activities like "Make a Commercial" and "video scavenger hunt." DCL cruise is expensive, but all programming activities are included in the cruise fare. As a teen, my daughter did not like Celebrity--there were virtually no other teens on board and all our dinner partners were 60+. She loved Alaska and the cruise, but not the line.

As to dietary needs....I know Princess or DCL would do a good job of meeting your requirements.

Agree that time of year is an important variable as to how many tweens and teens will be onboard and the type of activities for them. If during the peak of school vacation Princess will have a few hundred, while other lines' megaships may have over 1000; too many more certainly not necessarily better.

(...and I'm sure the answer is as plain as day, but googling 'Meedsy' did not enlighten me as to what that term means re: a 13 year old girl's dining habits. Anyone?)

Hi,

My DH and I took our first cruise on Princess a few years ago. We'd like to take our daughters with us the next time. DH and I had such a great time, but did notice that there weren't many children. We also have dietary needs (Meedsy oldest daughter and I have Celac Disease and require a gluten free diet) and Princess did a great job meeting those needs. Any suggestions? Should we be looking at another cruise line? Thanks in advance.

Rccl is great for the young ones.

What do your girls like to do? Out DDs had fun in the clubs on Carnival and HAL. It really depends on the mix of kids onboard whether your girls will have a good time onboard.

We've had no problems with Carnival and special diets.

Have no idea what meedsy is. Hopefully it's a typo as Google had nothing medical.

Your girls will have a great time on Princess. :)

Our children did and now our grandchildren do! :D

LuLu

I agree. Of course if your kids have to be entertained 24/7 then this may not be the cruise for you. If your kids like to hang by the pool, watch shows and talk to actual people then this is a great cruise line. There is something for them to do on the ship just not wave runners and ice rinks. We've been cruising a long time and our kids and grandkids have always found fun things to do. Heck, my DD could fold a pretty good napkin by the time she was 10. Of course, back then they didn't have kid's clubs so the dining room was a great place for the kids to hang out.

My now grandkids will like, well everything. For sure they all like the glass elevator, the vibe of the ship, the fact that they can order whatever they want whenever they want and hanging out on the balcony and watching sea life. Most importantly they love being pampered by the staff. They kid area is also fun for them.

Hi,

I really don't know how anyone on this forum can tell you that your children will enjoy the cruise. Just because it is a cruise is not any guarantee they will enjoy themselves. You are the best judge of that. I hope if you go that they do enjoy themselves.:):)

Just be aware that if you sign the girls up for "kids clubs" they will be in different ones and not able to hang out together.

They won't be in the same group, but they certainly can hang out at the pool and other activities that aren't attached to the kids' program. And if there's plenty of kids on board (if the OP and family go when kids are on school break), they may not miss each other.

My kid was 13 and 15 on her last two cruises and didn't really spend much time in Remix, but did meet other kids her age. Her group came up with their own activities. I think some of the RC type of activities (rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, etc) may interest her...but of all of five minutes based on past experience.