Sick employees working Regal buffet

CineGraphic

While geting lunch today at the Horizon Court, I overheard 3 employees behind the counter discussing how they have been sick for the past several days, not what I needed to hear as I was preparing to eat. I mentioned this to a manager as I was sitting down. He returned a few minutes later to say that naturally, all 3 employees denied everything. I'm sorry, but all the hand washing and sanitizing on our end does nothing if sick people are handling our food.

Agreed. And working while ill (failing to report it and see doc which usually results in quarantine) results in firing.

I'm not surprised that they denied it. But you are totally right that if the crew doesn't do their part, there is no chance of controlling the various viruses that can inhabit the ship. I hope you mentioned this in your evaluation.

Edited by moki'smommy

What you should have done is picked up the nearest phone and dialed 911 or 999 to report what you heard. Medical staff, likely accompanied by an officer, would have been there within minutes. The crewmembers' immediate supervisor won't do anything; likely he is already aware and just doesn't want to be shorthanded. Telling him what you heard will be as effective as telling us all here on Cruise Critic--if you are going to take the time out of your vacation to post here, better spent on actual follow up on board.

Agreed. And working while ill (failing to report it and see doc which usually results in quarantine) results in firing.

I'm not surprised that they denied it. But you are totally right that if the crew doesn't do their part' date=' there is no chance of controlling the various viruses that can inhabit the ship. I hope you mentioned this in your evaluation.[/quote']

Why wouldn't an employee admit to illness? I was under the assumption that they work despite illness because they feared being fired if they didn't. If what you say is true ( and it makes sense with all the attempts to halt spread of germs), why wouldn't they admit to illness? So many times I've had waiters coughing and sneezing. Yes, the passengers may bring the germs onto the ship. But I've always believed they can try to disinfect as much as they can, but the staff who remain onboard do the worst of the spreading. If the ill servers etc were quarantined without repercussions, illness would probably be less of a problem.

If they had been sick for 3 days and not reported it, they were already in trouble.

Yes, they are required to not work when ill, but that also precludes them from picking up extra income as a lot do with other departments (for example, some of the dining staff helps as dressers for the dancers, or with luggage on turnover day, etc), so some risk it if their symptoms aren't serious. And of course, TD servers and stewards don't want to miss out on tips.

Why wouldn't an employee admit to illness? I was under the assumption that they work despite illness because they feared being fired if they didn't. If what you say is true ( and it makes sense with all the attempts to halt spread of germs), why wouldn't they admit to illness? So many times I've had waiters coughing and sneezing. Yes, the passengers may bring the germs onto the ship. But I've always believed they can try to disinfect as much as they can, but the staff who remain onboard do the worst of the spreading. If the ill servers etc were quarantined without repercussions, illness would probably be less of a problem.

If they had been sick for 3 days and not reported it, they were already in trouble.

Yes, they are required to not work when ill, but that also precludes them from picking up extra income as a lot do with other departments (for example, some of the dining staff helps as dressers for the dancers, or with luggage on turnover day, etc), so some risk it if their symptoms aren't serious. And of course, TD servers and stewards don't want to miss out on tips.

Never knew about the extra income. I do know I have seen staff appearing sick and even had one server tell us she had a cold. Not thrilled with that relevation!

I don't think I would say anything either if I were sick if it affected my paycheck. I suppose most of them keep quiet until they're flat on their backs.

If they are in a tipped position, they drop out of the tip pool for whatever days they are unable to work. If in a salaried position, they can have up to three days with no effect on the pay check.

As noted, there are sometimes opportunities to pick up extra "paid" hours (as opposed to tip pool money), which they can't do if they are ill. For example, servers act as wheelchair pushers on embarkation/disembarkation days.

Of course, the question becomes "How sick is too sick to work?" Those of us on the receiving end of the services would say any illness is "too sick." Yet on shore, we often see kids dropped off at day care who are obviously ill so that mom can go to work....even if day care calls her to pick up the child, she had likely been able to get in a half day till they call, she had to "make arrangements," etc. I know that I've worked with a "cold" but no fever. Seriously, if every employee took off whenever they had a sniffle, we'd have problems with the GNP in this country!

The ship needs to have standards and stick to them. On the other hand, the employees know that if they go to the medical center for virtually any sort of problem, they will be put on quarantine for 2 days.

I don't think I would say anything either if I were sick if it affected my paycheck. I suppose most of them keep quiet until they're flat on their backs.

I can't tell ya how many times I went to work sick even though I had sick leave. It was times when the company was laying people off and to me that's an incentive to go to work. These workers on cruise ships feel as though they are lucky to have a job and be able to send money home to their families. Most workers are from third world countries with little opportunities like they have on a cruise ship. Cruiselines strike me as having a bottom line, and they have no trouble finding replacements for whoever they deem as a slacker. Whether it be someone who is sick, or has the potential to be a liability instead of an asset. I've worked in HR departments of large companies and their philosophy is like that of the cruise industry, "everyone is expendable."

We have 2 friends who work/worked on cruise ships (not Princess). One broke his ankle while on duty during a period of very rough seas. He was put off the ship at the next port and flown home. After treatment and being released by his doc to return to work, he was told that he wasn't needed at that time and waited with no salary from the line for another 2 months till he was "needed." This is a skilled, salaried position. There is no workman's comp or any such thing.

The other individual developed a rash which was initially treated by the medical center on board. When it failed to clear up within 10 days, he was disembarked at the home port. He saw a dermatologist at home and was cleared up within a week with proper medication; again, they had "filled" his position and there was a time lag before he could rejoin the ship. He is currently in a relatively high level supervisory position, so obviously it was not a move to get rid of him.

My point is that once your spot has been filled, even though you are a valued employee in good standing, you may go without a pay check for months! I suppose it can only be worse for people in serving or cleaning positions which can be easily replaced on a permanent basis.

As a cruise ship nurse - not on princess but run by princess medical ops - I can comment. if a crew member had vomiting and/ or diarrhea they have to report immediately to the medical centre. If they fail to do so they face disciplinary action and even firing. They will be placed in isolation for 24 hours - 48 if they are food handlers If they report to the medical centre with respiratory symptoms and they have a fever they will be placed in isolation. The same applies to guests. The cruise lines take illness among crew and passengers very seriously and try very hard to limit spread

Terry

Note that fever and runny nose, etc not on that list (which I think is what the OP reported?). In a perfect world, every company would work it so that ill employees, especially in food handling positions or cabin work (not as big a deal for example for the person who picks up already dirty dishes assuming they are washed properly, or vacuums, etc) would be able to take off without penalty, but that's not reality.

As a cruise ship nurse - not on princess but run by princess medical ops - I can comment. if a crew member had vomiting and/ or diarrhea they have to report immediately to the medical centre. If they fail to do so they face disciplinary action and even firing. They will be placed in isolation for 24 hours - 48 if they are food handlers If they report to the medical centre with respiratory symptoms and they have a fever they will be placed in isolation. The same applies to guests. The cruise lines take illness among crew and passengers very seriously and try very hard to limit spread

Terry

Note that fever and runny nose, etc not on that list (which I think is what the OP reported?). In a perfect world, every company would work it so that ill employees, especially in food handling positions or cabin work (not as big a deal for example for the person who picks up already dirty dishes assuming they are washed properly, or vacuums, etc) would be able to take off without penalty, but that's not reality.

Exactly. Unless a crew member is seen as sick in public it hard to prove.

I would be concerned as was the OP. It is one reason I try to limit my use of the HC. However the same sick issues could be with the kitchen help, servers in the MDR etc. On shore it is common for workers in a restaurant to work while sick by concealing it or in some cases allowed to work by the owner/management. If they don't show up for work, they don't get paid and risk being fired. Next time you are in a restaurant at home, just think about sick workers or worse yet workers who have not seen a medical professional in years which means no immunizations. At least on the ship they have access to medical help unlike on the land. It is a risk we all take every day.

Ok so how do we know that they were sick, under a doctors care but the doctor released them to go back to work but they still feel crappy. Illnesses linger but you can go back to work at some point.

It may not affect their salaried pay, but depending on their position it can certainly affect their income (see above about tips and extra work)...

If a crewmember is off sick for 72 hours etc it does not affect their pay.

They receive a contracted amount of $$ each month, its not deducted when they become sick.