The Istanbul Conundrum

chrismakris

I will be on the Connie sailing that leaves Oct 10th sailing that arrives in Istanbul for an overnight before debarking the next day. With all the events that are unfortunately happening there is a small discussion on our thread as to what might happen.

From what I can gather there are four possible outcomes:

1) Keep the itinerary the same.

2) Change the overnight to Athens and debark Istanbul as planned

3) Add an extra stop (my assumption would be Valletta or Santorini) and debark in Istanbul without an overnight

4) Add an extra stop and overnight in Athens and debark there.

I believe that #3 is going to happen. Which do you believe is the most likely solution.

Our cruise in MAY was due to overnight in Istanbul but unlike yours this wasn't our final destination.

We have been recently informed that we won't be going to Istanbul but instead will have a Night stop in Athens.

I reckon you might get a Night stop in Athens

I think there are a few unknowns in October as the ships move Easterly and to Israel to get the best weather in the Med as the season draws to its close.

We were looking for an October break and could not believe how cheap the Silly was for its Israel trip....I guess it is because many people are so unsure that the itinerary printed will be the one they get....

I hope that other cruisers are as knowledgeable as you, and as accepting as you re possible changes to itinerary. It sounds to me that you are going to enjoy your cruise whatever the outcome, it is just so sad when people book a cruise and are then so disappointed when changes are made.....Some because they have different views on secure situations but many, especially new cruisers, who are oblivious to the likelihood of any changes.

If you do have a change I hope it is one you are happy with...

Our April cruise on the Constellation was to include an overnight in Istanbul but the itinerary has been changed to an overnight in Athens, a stop in Rhodes and Kusadasi resulting in one less sea day. Whilst the stop in Istanbul was to be the highlight for us we aren't complaining about the change.

My understanding that where a start and finish of a cruise are in Istanbul they will continue otherwise Istanbul is going to take a miss this year.

The official reason is port renovation and a resultant lack of berths

On the same cruise (as OP) and was not too concerned until last week's attack in the tourist section of Istanbul. While it would be possible to disembark in Istanbul and go directly to the airport, this would be a complete waste. I have no interest in an overnight in Athens, since you aren't in Athens at all, but the industrial seaport.

Might just drop the whole thing and find an alternative.

I will be on the Connie sailing that leaves Oct 10th sailing that arrives in Istanbul for an overnight before debarking the next day. With all the events that are unfortunately happening there is a small discussion on our thread as to what might happen..

We are on a different ship, Equinox. We are embarking in Istanbul. We were suppose to have an overnight at embarkation. So far, they have cancelled the overnight, and scheduled a 10:30 PM departure. We sail in July, so stay tuned. :)

[QUOTE=chrismakris;48768432]I will be on the Connie sailing that leaves Oct 10th sailing that arrives in Istanbul for an overnight before debarking the next day. With all the events that are unfortunately happening there is a small discussion on our thread as to what might happen.

I am booked on the next sailing out of Istanbul boarding 21st October and sailing 22nd. I've booked to fly out to Istanbul on the 18th to enjoy 3 great days sightseeing pre-cruise.

That, currently, is my only thought and as it's so many months away, I'm not thinking negatively or about alternatives (just yet)

Sadly, the whole world is now a terrorist target, as has been proved recently.

P.S. I'm going to Israel for a week in April. Am I bothered? not in the slightest. :)

I think RCL would not want to risk stopping in Istanbul. The liability is too great. It's a shame Istanbul is on our bucket list. We were supposed to go there a few yrs ago. What was a very exciting itinerary became a tour of Greek islands.

It's really tough to change an embark/disembark port once people have their air.

It's really tough to change an embark/disembark port once people have their air.

That's why I booked the flight out with X so not only do I not have to pay before the cruise balance is due, but if they change the itinerary, it's up to them to re-book the flights. :)

On the same cruise (as OP) and was not too concerned until last week's attack in the tourist section of Istanbul. While it would be possible to disembark in Istanbul and go directly to the airport, this would be a complete waste. I have no interest in an overnight in Athens, since you aren't in Athens at all, but the industrial seaport.

Might just drop the whole thing and find an alternative.

Happened to us on our last cruise. At first I was not happy about the overnight in Athens or better Piraeus because we had been there before and where not crazy about Athens. However, we found alternative things to do (Corinthia and the Poseidon Temple) and absolutely loved it. Rhodes and Crete were added and both places are nice and so easy to explore.

For more information click on the link to our review below.

BTW: The industrial port and the cruise port of Piraeus are two different things. Plus: There is a quick and inexpensive connection to the main attractions of Athens with a stop right in front of the cruise terminals (A & B) - the X90 bus.

I was disappointed about the cancellation of Istanbul, yes... but the cruise turned out to be fantastic nonetheless.

Edited by Miaminice

Might they cancel the entire port and end up somewhere else? That's what I would do if I was running celebrity.

Please don't be offended but with that remark, it's probably a good job you aren't :D

As I said in my original post, terrorism is global issue and if some people had their way, cruise ships wouldn't stop anywhere, people wouldn't travel, airlines would stop flying whilst people in the US just keep guns and shoot each other

.....................just saying ;)

Celebrity will shortly announce if they have not done so already that stops other than at the beginning and end of a cruise in Istanbul have been cancelled I greatly suspect. There is indeed construction at the port and the violence there is ramping up. Really simple as they reschedule elsewhere - seems Athens is one port that can accommodate overnights. It is far but doable in a cab for maybe 20 Euros. i do not like Athens but better to be safe.

We are on a different ship, Equinox. We are embarking in Istanbul. We were suppose to have an overnight at embarkation. So far, they have cancelled the overnight, and scheduled a 10:30 PM departure. We sail in July, so stay tuned. :)

That's what I figure will happen. We are also speculating that there will be a price drop as the ship is approximately a little over 50% sold. With all the stuff going on it wouldn't surprise me to see people cancelling because of the threat or loss of the overnight.

Not offended at all. And you are right because it does seem that every location (at least outside of the Caribbean and Alaska for the most part) is a possible terrorist threat. I was thinking in terms of liability for the company, but I guess liability issues are just par for the course for cruise lines, among others. I'm not sure about your gun comment and Americans though... I bet those people in Paris wish they had had a few guns. Don't believe everything you hear in the media, Americans for the most part are very happy to have their own guns.

I agree on the price drop. In checking our cruise a tremendous number of cabins are still available. Our problem is compounded by the fact that we are on the Constellation that is supposed to have an overnight in November, in Istanbul BUT then is supposed to go on to Israel which Celebrity cancelled for the last few trips in 2015. So our problem is magnified in that we cannot find out from Celebrity for sure, if they are going to be doing Israel in 2016.?

All we want is an answer. As someone who was involved in doing major construction projects, the excuse they are using as to the port is being renovated is a cop out. Yes they are working on the harbor BUT that project would have been known a few years ago, giving Celebrity ample opportunity to change their cruises

That's what I figure will happen. We are also speculating that there will be a price drop as the ship is approximately a little over 50% sold. With all the stuff going on it wouldn't surprise me to see people cancelling because of the threat or loss of the overnight.

Celebrity cannot tell you because they do not know what is going to happen in the World tension wise in the next say 4 months. The only thing you do know is any chatter or problems and port stops are cancelled or changed AND the starting and ending port will not be changed but time in port might be shortened.

Hi Ed,

I do hope you get to do the overnight in July, since we will be on the Constellation with LFC2 in October, and hope that we will have the extra night in Istanbul.

When we booked our cruise, we knew that any of the ports could be cancelled if there was a security risk. I have no concern at all for the ports we will be visiting; but my wife is not as comfortable. We do know that if there is a serious risk that Celebrity will make a change if necessary; but they will probably wait until much closer to the sailing date to make a decision. I would hate for them to make a decision based on isolated events in Istanbul.

Hi Ed,

I do hope you get to do the overnight in July, since we will be on the Constellation with LFC2 in October, and hope that we will have the extra night in Istanbul.

When we booked our cruise, we knew that any of the ports could be cancelled if there was a security risk. I have no concern at all for the ports we will be visiting; but my wife is not as comfortable. We do know that if there is a serious risk that Celebrity will make a change if necessary; but they will probably wait until much closer to the sailing date to make a decision. I would hate for them to make a decision based on isolated events in Istanbul.

Here here :)

Hi Ed,

Mike, I'd honestly be surprised if you do. I was on Constellation in September last year before even trouble in Istanbul and we were supposed to overnight there the first night, but they cancelled it a month before and added Soudha, Crete. Part of the issue if they overnight is they have to run tours which at the moment they don't want to do.

Phil