Dream-why can't I upgrade to balcony

sunluvertoo

This is so weird, I have a porthole room booked for a cruise 6 weeks out so final payment has been made. I decided I would like a balcony, there appear to be lots of balconies available, my TA has tried twice at my request to find out if I could change to a balcony and pay the difference of course. First time told there were no balconies, second time told there was one left, the highest priced level. I can go to both TA website and Carnival and both sites show lots of balconies. Why would this be? Any ideas? I guess I should just be happy that I am saving a lot of money!

Since my calls have with TA have not been successful in answering this, I have now sent an email. You are right, think may just go directly through cruise lines in the future, the extra perks TA gives may not be worth it. The plus side is at least I am going on the cruise and will have more $$ to spend :)

I think the ability to upgrade after final payment went away when they started the early saver program. In theory, you'd be getting the balcony at the current rate that maybe less than what it was when you booked. Depending on the savings, it may be worth it to cancel, take the penalty and rebook.

I think the ability to upgrade after final payment went away when they started the early saver program. In theory, you'd be getting the balcony at the current rate that maybe less than what it was when you booked. Depending on the savings, it may be worth it to cancel, take the penalty and rebook.

It doesn't matter if they booked early saver. If they are willing to pay the price difference in a category where there is availability,they should be able to do. I can't think of a reason why they couldn't unless there's an issue with the occupancy needed versus what is available.

As far as booking directly with Carnival or using a TA, another person can say this is why you only use a good TA. I have run into issues and I know I was better off having a TA. In theory it doesn't matter so long as the person on the other end knows what they are doing. And neither a TA, PVP, or rep on the phone with Carnival has that 100% on lock. YMMV no matter which route you go.

^^^^This is definitely not correct. I book ES and have always been able to upgrade, before or after final payment.

With ES you can never downgrade. Maybe that is what you meant.

Keep trying. I have done this twice and been successful but I had to be very persistent. The first time I booked directly with carnival and second with a travel agent. It took a lot of calls both times but in the end I did get what I wanted. It did seem weird that it was so hard since I wanted to give them more money, but it wasn't easy. Good luck!

Go to Carnival.com and do a mock booking. If they do have balcony's available for the same # of passengers, then it's time to have a long talk with your TA about why you're unable to upgrade to the category you desire. It's your vacation so don't let your TA BS you!

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Another vote to work directly with Carnival. I upgraded my cabin two or so weeks ago (balcony to spa balcony) with no problems. Final payment had been made. Did a mock booking to see what cabin I wanted, called Carnival, told the rep I wanted to pay to upgrade from cabin X to cabin Y and had no problems at all. Took 10 minutes tops.

Edited by Pesh

Do a mock booking showing that the balcony rooms are available, get the room number and everything. Screen-shot it and send it to your TA then make a phone call. They need to explain VERY CLEARLY why Carnival is saying no. If it isn't making sense, and it probably wont, have her call Carnival with you on the phone. I wonder if your TA doesn't feel like dealing with it or if she has had bad luck and talked to people at Carnival who don't know what is going on. I have had people at Carnival tell me rooms weren't available that clearly were. I just kept calling back until I spoke to someone who knew what they were doing. I have a feeling the turnover rate at Carnival (and other cruise lines) is pretty high when it comes to their answering service so you need to speak to someone who is well trained and experienced. That may take a few tries. Unfortunately your TA has to do this since they will only speak to your TA.

This is why I feel it is important to establish a relationship with a Carnival PVP. Ours has always been able to help with situations like this. He wants to keep us happy so we will continue to book with him. I hope you can get this worked out.

Go to Carnival.com and do a mock booking. If they do have balcony's available for the same # of passengers, then it's time to have a long talk with your TA about why you're unable to upgrade to the category you desire. It's your vacation so don't let your TA BS you!

I wonder if the passenger per cabin does not match (as you said). They don't like to put 2 in a cabin for 4.

• 2 weeks later...
This is so weird, I have a porthole room booked for a cruise 6 weeks out so final payment has been made. I decided I would like a balcony, there appear to be lots of balconies available, my TA has tried twice at my request to find out if I could change to a balcony and pay the difference of course. First time told there were no balconies, second time told there was one left, the highest priced level. I can go to both TA website and Carnival and both sites show lots of balconies. Why would this be? Any ideas? I guess I should just be happy that I am saving a lot of money!

After the email I sent my TA I got a call back and she had no idea why Carnival was not letting me upgrade to a balcony guarantee, she was able to get it but Carnival told her I would loose the OBC they offered me at time of booking so I passed on it. Fast forward to this past Friday, guarantee balcony priced really dropped so I called TA and got my balcony as well as all the OBC I was originally given! Already have my room assignment and am happy with it! A happy ending! Am really looking forward to my cruise that is in 27 days.

After the email I sent my TA I got a call back and she had no idea why Carnival was not letting me upgrade to a balcony guarantee, she was able to get it but Carnival told her I would loose the OBC they offered me at time of booking so I passed on it. Fast forward to this past Friday, guarantee balcony priced really dropped so I called TA and got my balcony as well as all the OBC I was originally given! Already have my room assignment and am happy with it! A happy ending! Am really looking forward to my cruise that is in 27 days.

All is well that ends well! Good for you!

You know balcony vs. window is a hard decision. I don't notice not having a balcony when we book a window, but when I have a balcony I am all "I'm glad I have a balcony" while spending a total of 20 mins on it! :D

Have a great cruise!!

Not true at all. You can always pay to upgrade no matter what fare type you have booked.

IF the balcony is less than what the OP paid, they just need to keep looking for a higher category and book that one. As long as they are paying it should not be an issue.

Seems like an unknowing TA is the problem.

This is why I feel it is important to establish a relationship with a Carnival PVP. Ours has always been able to help with situations like this. He wants to keep us happy so we will continue to book with him. I hope you can get this worked out.

Glad you enjoy yours but there is no need for a relationship with one. You get the same service by simply calling the 800 number.

Glad you enjoy yours but there is no need for a relationship with one. You get the same service by simply calling the 800 number.

I don't even use a PVP and disagree with this. A personal relationship with a PVP (or TA as I prefer it) can make all the difference from the roll of a dice you get by just calling a toll free number.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

So very glad you got what you wanted! I love working with my PVP ( I have booked 8 cruises with her!)

Anytime I have a question or concern she answers everything until I am satisfied. If I need to make a change in my booking (changing rooms, etc) she takes care of it and explains the impact of the change (if any).

I always go through the mock booking process until I find a ship/itinerary that meets my needs and usually have a location picked out as well. She has given me some great advice regarding room location, size, etc. Most recently I booked my first Vista wrap balcony on the Magic. I thought I wanted one on the Panorama Deck, but she advised me to book on the 7th deck. The room is a little larger and because their are passenger decks above and below us, a lot more quiet.

I booked my first cruise with a TA, because I had no experience. We had a great cruise, but when I had questions about the ship, she truly did not have a clue. Since then I have learned so much through CC, the information has been invaluable.

Enjoy your cruise!