BOTS Cranberry Juice vs Cranberry Juice Cocktail

Barry ATL

DH has a glass of cranberry juice (pure) each day to help prevent UTIs. Doc says cranberry juice cocktail does not count. Is pure cranberry juice available on the BOTS?

This is not a big deal, but CC folks alwys seem to know the answers to the minutiae of cruising. :)

It's actually quite rare to find pure cranberry juice since it is so very tart. I've seen it (on land) mixed with apple juice which is naturally sweet (Apple & Eve brand comes to mind). My dad had troubles with kidney stones so I did spend time searching when he was alive. I know they now have capsules available. Otherwise you'll have to bring your own with maybe a doctor's note in case they decide to enforce the rules.

I drink it on the ships everyday. It's not cocktail as far as I can tell and it's not the lite. It's just regular and at most of the bars it's on the gun although I have seen them pour it out of a container with no markings. It's sweet so is not pure

Edited by setsail

It's actually quite rare to find pure cranberry juice since it is so very tart. I've seen it (on land) mixed with apple juice which is naturally sweet (Apple & Eve brand comes to mind). My dad had troubles with kidney stones so I did spend time searching when he was alive. I know they now have capsules available. Otherwise you'll have to bring your own with maybe a doctor's note in case they decide to enforce the rules.

The pure is only found in the organic section of our grocery stores (Kroger). In the last few weeks the price has shot up almost double. So, with that cost in mind, I am thinking we will not find it on the ship.

The pure is only found in the organic section of our grocery stores (Kroger). In the last few weeks the price has shot up almost double. So, with that cost in mind, I am thinking we will not find it on the ship.

You are correct, you won't find it on the ship. I would bring your own.

Almost certainly not. I've never seen pure cranberry juice, but haven't really looked for it. Most people would find it somewhat unpalatable without some sweetness added, which is why it is either the "cocktail" or a juice blend with a sweet juice like apple.

Another option may be to use one of the many cranberry supplements. But if this is doctor-recommended, then he may want to talk to his doctor about the use of the supplements vs the juice.

Almost certainly not. I've never seen pure cranberry juice, but haven't really looked for it. Most people would find it somewhat unpalatable without some sweetness added, which is why it is either the "cocktail" or a juice blend with a sweet juice like apple.

Another option may be to use one of the many cranberry supplements. But if this is doctor-recommended, then he may want to talk to his doctor about the use of the supplements vs the juice.

Doctor says suppliments are "okay", but he prefers pure. Our doc a lot of patients.that are paraplegic which are prone to UTIs, so he usually has a good feel for what works best.

I will just get some of the suppliments for the trip. I am NOT lugging a couple of quarts of juice on a train, plane, shuttle, hotel, shuttle, ship. NOT gonna happen. :)

You might need to get clarification on it from the doctor.

The kind used to help with UTIs is incredibly tart, almost painful. And you don't need much at all. So I'm not sure you would need to drink quarts of it; that would also be very unpleasant.

You might need to get clarification on it from the doctor.

The kind used to help with UTIs is incredibly tart, almost painful. And you don't need much at all. So I'm not sure you would need to drink quarts of it; that would also be very unpleasant.

You are correct. It is the very tart kind that our Doc suggests. 1 cup per day. So, for the length of the trip 2 quart bottles. He will be fine without it. Just wondered if the option was there or not on the ship.

DH has a glass of cranberry juice (pure) each day to help prevent UTIs. Doc says cranberry juice cocktail does not count. Is pure cranberry juice available on the BOTS?

This is not a big deal, but CC folks alwys seem to know the answers to the minutiae of cruising. :)

Sadly even Cranberry Juice seems to be problematic for RCCL... :rolleyes:

While on all other big cruise lines, it is not a big deal to get it for free, on RCCL they do not have it in MDR for breakfast, or you need to pay for it - that's a shame.

While on all other big cruise lines, it is not a big deal to get it for free, on RCCL they do not have it in MDR for breakfast, or you need to pay for it - that's a shame.

On what line can you get pure cranberry juice?

Depending on the ports/boarding location you're visiting its possible a grocery store close by would have some you could pick up. I know Cozumel has a large one near the pier with just about anything you could want as an example. That way he could have the supplements for part of the trip and the juice for the other.

Hmmm...an inconvenience maybe. A shame? Not so much. :rolleyes:

That would be cranberry cocktail anyway... The OP is talking about 100% pure cranberry juice which I haven´t seen on any ship at all (and not just talking about RCI).

steamboats