24 days in Quest - our take on Azamara now

uktog

First can I say we enjoyed our cruises, we visited some fantastic ports, met great people onboard and ashore and had some wonderful meals onboard, But we had to be honest in our end of cruise surveys and overall our scores were different from the past with a noticeable drop between cruises 1 and 2 but that in part was due to two issues I'll touch on later.

I'm not going to do a blow by blow day to day account but will highlight some high spots and less good spots typically arising from some changes we noted. Regrettably none of the changes are for the better and it's clear the revenue pressures are coming into play big time certainly on Quest. It is just three months since our last cruise on Quest so our memories are very recent. Where we can we have made suggestions on how to address issues and have tried to be mindful of costs in what we have suggested.

High spots

It was our first ever Christmas on a cruise and they really pulled out all the stops particularly the chefs and entertainment teams. New Year was also good, though there was some confusion on the night on what was happening when, but all came good in the end. We look forward to another festive cruise on Azamara in 2017.

The onshore welcome by locals was fantastic, often we came across things they'd set up specifically for the ship (such as opening a craft market in Maloolaba) - such a pity despite the fact the locals had told the agent, the info did not reach the ship and many missed these onshore experiences.

The Azamazing evenings were excellent - the one at Newcastle has to be the best one we have ever been to. Please do not listen to those regulars who rubbish these events, go with an open mind and you may well be azamazed.

We were fortunate to stumble on an excellent waiter and assistant night one and we stayed with the waiter for the two cruises, even though the location of his station cruise 2 was not good. He had a new, equally good assistant cruise 2 but our first assistant also popped over every night to say "hello" - a nice touch.

Every meal we had in Discoveries, Aqualina and Prime C was perfectly cooked and the right temperature -24 days and not a problem. Well done! We did in Discoveries have a problem with some of the menus, very little beef was served it was lamb, lamb, lamb. The reason given was all the beef has to come from Miami and that's expensive - does it really! In areas/countries like Europe, Australia and New Zealand which have such high industry standards why not source local, save freight and give guests a far better experience.

Surf and turf still exists and is very good - but for those who say never saw it, there's a sting in the tail, they put it on in Discoveries on White Night having encouraged everyone to go to that buffet, so a bean counter short cut perhaps?. My advice on White Night check the other menus as well and maybe do as we did, join White Night for the desserts, the wonderful as good as ever Crepe Suzettes.

The pool deck was never crowded, loungers were always available and the only hogs we saw up there were on the Officers BBQ.

We had a fantastic stateroom team first leg two of the best we've ever had (I will gloss over cruise 2 on the basis that there is always one who lets the team down, we've fed back the specifics onboard and in our survey but it impacted our overall rating of that cruise). Overall, many staff really do try and make your experience great, though more than before some are focused in making it great so long as you want it their way and seem less able (or empowered) to think guest rather than process. Some are paying less attention so much less evidence of remembering guests wishes even for five minutes. We lost count of the times the same waiter who poured you a club soda topped it up with regular water or a can of lemonade in Windows or who asked you did you want coffee when we said at breakfast no coffee today thank you when we arrived and were carrying our Mosaic to goes (coffee still yuk in Windows in Quest we bring up ours from Mosaic each day). .

Low spots

There were inconsistencies depending on who you asked on a vast number of things (drinks available, menus, land discoveries, shore arrangements etc.) Now I fully expect some guests who have been onboard will chime in "well I asked X (senior officer) and I got y" but it should not be like that, on vacation you just want to enjoy yourself, not constantly be searching out the organ grinder for the definitive answer. It would cost little to be consistent by training and more effective leadership from supervisors in particular.

There is also a very regrettable trend with some more junior staff just making up answers, sometimes to support their upselling efforts, sometimes because they don't want to go and find you something. If you were not an experienced cruiser you would believe them - I will give just one example, embarkation day, asked for a club soda and I am told they don't do them and I needed to buy a beverage package and drink San Pellergino if I did not want regular water........nice try, wrong guests to try it on!

This was the first cruise to a new area and in relation to Land Discoveries, they had no knowledge and were defaulting to stories that if believed would have you rushing to book their overpriced tours. Statements were made in talks and in end of show announcements and on the TV morning show that emphasised if you went independently, you would be with uninsured operators. That may have been the case in previous ports, but it did not correctly reflect the position in Australia. It's also not good enough to keep trotting out the answer to a guests query re a port "we don't know, never been there" - someone should have done a proper recce of all the ports and then briefed the relevant staff. It's not nice being the (very expensive) Guinea pig.

Sydney was a low spot - the berth was not what we expected from advertising materials. We knew before the cruise we were shunted out to White Bay but were not aware that the boat shuttle was so limited, the boat was a bit of a walk from the berth (they did spot that and put on a bus later in the day, another example of poor recce and being the Guinea pigs). Virtually no taxis were available on spec and the costs into Sydney were far higher than we were assured they would be (we were only allowed one return ferry trip so the great overnight in Sydney was a damp squib - yes it rained as well but that's not, despite the views of some guests, the ship's fault!). Again if we have to be in other docks, please Azamara get the right info onboard - the worst was the LD talk where we are told we were docking in a lovely residential area with lots of restaurants and cafes, no it was a port facility nothing nearby at all so the last evening plans were scuppered again. It costs nothing to tell guests the correct info and avoids leaving such a bad impression at the end of the cruise.

Changes

Aqualina has been reduced to one menu. On our first cruise, we assumed this was to accommodate the Christmas/New Year period but it happened again on the second cruise and the Maitre D confirmed they are only doing one menu from now on.

The LCV breakfast on cruise 2 had no champagne or mimosas offered. We were advised this was now the policy - as over 130 people were Discoverer or above it was not a great event in either cruise with not enough seats in Aqualina and some guests being detached in hastily set up tables in Prime C. The line for food was so long partly because guests were chatting to officers serving. They need to change the venue and have others serving and officers circulating if this is to be a good experience.

Fruit bowls in the room have been reduced (we've actually seen the housekeeping memo to this effect). Unless you are in a suite, no grapes just apples and oranges. Now we did get grapes when we asked with one of our attendants but not the other. Come on Azamara, what would it cost to revert to the previous arrangements? Would we notice $10 on our bill. Why not have cards at the start of the cruise for non suites give us a list of fruits (say apples, oranges, banana, grape and one other) and get us to select any three for each day - you do a one time start of cruise selection, virtually no additional cost, less wastage, better experience).

I have posted on the Wine of the Day thread, but to summarise, blended whites being passed off as Sauvignon blanc, a reduction in the number of wines on the rotation (used to be 7), staff no longer know or are interested in what they serve you and the worst rose wine I've ever tasted. Our workaround was to buy rose ashore and bring onboard but this meant we could no longer enjoy a chilled glass out the back at lunchtime or early evening (we respected the ships rules in relation to this though we can understand why others did not). The ship could cut wine costs better by reducing wastage. There is a tendency to over pour and if you look around the dining room each night, shrinkage from non consumption is significant. It's even greater on White Nights which was galling given that was the night of the NZ Sauv Blanc we could not have at other times.

Insider Access tours are no longer the intimate small group experiences they were set up as. 20 of us were "stickered up" and referred to all day as Group 3. It was a tour that had potential to be good but the venue could only cope with 12 so some guests suffered (meals did not arrive with the others, could not see the demonstrations we'd come to see etc). IGiven all that was said onboard about how ships tours are checked for safety etc etc the most shocking thing was 20 of us in a small local boat in an area notorious for strong currents and no safety briefing or evidence of life jackets. We fed back onboard, the response was the LD rep had not reported any issues and although we were assured the manager would look into it, we never heard back. We've also highlighted on our end of cruise survey. Buyer be aware here, we certainly won't be booking Insider Access again.

Loyalty is being taken for granted in some areas. Not by the lovely onboard host and many staff but elsewhere. I know others will be feeding back to Miami as well on this but everyone accepted the line the ship was full, no loyalty upgrades were possible (actually we offered to pay full price upgrade the week before Cruise 2 but were told no space). It was galling on b2b day to be surrounded by relatively new cruisers boasting about the calls they'd had the night before and the suites they were moving in to for free. it's unfortunate these lucky people did not have the sense to keep quiet, bragging both verbal and the very visible flaunting of gold passes continued throughout the cruise. The ship lost revenue here - in our view Nicole's list should be passed over to the onboard team and when late no shows happen, this should be the basis guest relations upgrade (and collect the $398). Much fairer all round. Then everyone accepts if they did not get an upgrade it was criteria based and transparent process and Azamara retains their respect.

Conclusion

Two good cruises, some great things, some things could be a lot better and Azamara watch these bean counters don't go too far. We worry particularly about this push to beverage packages as booking incentives and the changes this is bringing. Elsewhere, far better training and more effective suoervision by Assistants MDs and Junior officers would go a long way to reversing trends back to the old Azamara. And please, I'd rather pay $200 more for my cruise upfront to stop the silly cutbacks.

But, we will be back for the time being!

Thanks so much for this review. I remember how excited you were at this itinerary, and I can imagine your frustration that some of the preparations were lacking.

I also hope that Azamara consider your thoughtful concerns about some of the changes that are impacting the Azamara experience. They are eminently reasonable, and I agree about willingness to pay somewhat more to retain what we have enjoyed. Your positive suggestions certainly deserve attention.

Glad that, overall, you had a good cruise and that you did not let the negative issues completely sour your experience. Particularly appreciated your comments about meal preparation and service.

Again, I appreciate your time spent presenting such a useful analysis. In particular, you have identified at least one particular issue that we will address before our next embarkation.

Edited by nordski

Thanks for this Uktog. We have 3 Azamara cruises this year (the last one being 3 years ago) and there is plenty of concern in your report.

It is to be hoped that with megamoney being spent on the "hard" issues, the refit, the "soft" (customer focused) issues will be addressed as well. It would be a great shame, and have a negative impact on any future bookings, if we end up with great ships but a poorer experience. Style over substance does not work.

We shall embark on Journey on 7th February with open minds and high expectations and test the reality.

Thanks for this Uktog. We have 3 Azamara cruises this year (the last one being 3 years ago) and there is plenty of concern in your report.

It is to be hoped that with megamoney being spent on the "hard" issues, the refit, the "soft" (customer focused) issues will be addressed as well. It would be a great shame, and have a negative impact on any future bookings, if we end up with great ships but a poorer experience. Style over substance does not work.

We shall embark on Journey on 7th February with open minds and high expectations and test the reality.

I have high hopes of the dry dock outcome as well - and given that the oil prices are hitting the floor, hopefully the bean counters will be sleeping more soundly and have a slightly more relaxed approach post dry dock so there can be a real reset of the compass at that time.

I really hope your cruise on the 7th is a great experience and I look forward to your reports of it all

Thank you for your comments. After twenty cruises with AZ (out of around a total of 60 cruises since 1990) we have noticed a decline in value and a considerable increase in cost over the past couple of years.

We recognise the hard work and input from the Captain, staff and crew but are not sure that they can continue to deliver with the constraints from 'Miami'. Our loyalty is being stretched to its limit. We took a cruise on Oceania last year which was in many ways better but of course we missed all the familiar faces and that special ambience on Quest and Journey We are booked on another competitor line for our first cruise this year and will be watching the reviews and new offers before we book AZ again.

I am glad you had a good time - I have friends who were on the second leg of your journey so will be interested to hear what they have to say.

Ann, thank you for a well balanced review. Some of your points would have made me go into orbit. e.g the experience regarding the Insider Access and the Club Soda incident. Sadly we have some similar experiences from our past cruises and we must realize that the "Azamara Experience" is getting lost in the nickel and dime policy from Miami. :mad:

Oh dear - we board in just under 6 weeks on Quest and I am now beginning to regret booking with Azamara.

When we first booked, over 18 months ago, all I could find were excellent reviews and probably 1 or 2 bad ones. I have noticed in the last few months this has now turned itself around. I am struggling to find good reviews - all I read now are the bad ones.

Your review was excellent but the gist of it was pretty much a 3* cruise not the 5* you would expect.

I know my husband is going to be sooooooooo disappointed with the daily wine offering. He enjoys a glass or two (maybe three) with his evening meal and part of our budget was not to have to buy wine - at the rate of the reviews on the wines, I feel this is what we are going to have to do!

Too late to cancel now.

Oh dear - we board in just under 6 weeks on Quest and I am now beginning to regret booking with Azamara.

When we first booked, over 18 months ago, all I could find were excellent reviews and probably 1 or 2 bad ones. I have noticed in the last few months this has now turned itself around. I am struggling to find good reviews - all I read now are the bad ones.

Your review was excellent but the gist of it was pretty much a 3* cruise not the 5* you would expect.

I know my husband is going to be sooooooooo disappointed with the daily wine offering. He enjoys a glass or two (maybe three) with his evening meal and part of our budget was not to have to buy wine - at the rate of the reviews on the wines, I feel this is what we are going to have to do!

Too late to cancel now.

Hi

I would not over stress - on average I would say it was 4 star not 3 star. We met a lot of first time Azamara cruisers who were very happy with their experience. It all depends on what cruise lines you have experienced before and we did detect in some areas (and not surprisingly) an extra effort being made to convert guests from Celebrity who loved the differences they saw.

Given that in the past Azamara has been responsive to feedback, I would not be surprised if some wine list adjustments are not underway

Thank you for posting such a comprehensive review and I'm glad the niggles didn't affect your overall experience too much.

However, the cutbacks you highlight are rather depressing. Do they really impact the bottom line that much? If they do, as you say add a little extra to the upfront cost.

I was not unhappy about Aqualina reverting to one menu. On our previous cruise when there were two menu options, I felt that both were rather lacking. In November we had three gorgeous meals there and everything was cooked to perfection.

Like many I am keen to see the results of the refurbishment and so hope to be back on Azamara in May or June.

Hopefully by then the menus in the MDR will have been refreshed ( unlike you I found them a little lacking). Azamara are very good at responding to concerns highlighted on CC and elsewhere so hopefully all the special little touches will return so we can all continue to enjoy our favourite cruise line.

Hi Uktog,

Thanks very much for your review. Sorry to hear that not everything lived up to your expectations, and I hope that Bonnie will share your insights with Miami.

I totally agree that a better system should be worked out for loyalty upgrades. I wonder where the issue begins. Is it in Miami, Or, perhaps the onboard team did not handle it right ?. Your observations are spot on, that upgrades should be done, based on loyalty to Azamara brand, and possibly to the RCCL family as well.

I'm also puzzled about the menu in Aqualina. When you have a moment, can you visit Azamara's website, and advise us if they are currently offering "menu 1" or "menu 2" (or neither). I will be sure to see if it's the same on JR when we sail next week.

About brand loyalty : Azamara should be working day and night, on getting Celebrity guests to book Azamara. There's a huge transformation going on at Celebrity, and most of their loyal guests are very displeased. I'm constantly reading about long time Celebrity guests "throwing in the Celebrity towel" and booking other brands. Heck, we NEVER consider any brand other than Azamara or Celebrity, and we sailed on 2 Princess cruises in 2015, and... may book more ! To make matters worse, it seems that Celebrity is well aware of the unhappiness, and does not seem to be overly concerned about their guest comments. That's not something that happens with Azamara, as they've always been extremely focused on guest feedback. From what we can tell, Celebrity management seems to have a "it's my way or the highway" attitude, and that spells trouble in my book. So many loyal Celebrity guests yearn for the way it used to be at Celebrity - which ironically, is very much what Azamara offers. IMO, AZ should be taking advantage of this massive opportunity. I sincerly hope Azamara's Miami team recognizes this golden goose, as it's being handed to them on a silver platter.

Thanks again for your insights, and welcome home !

Edited by Host Andy

Andy

Its a combination of some items of 1 and some of 2 - I cannot remember it all but re starters from Menu 1 there was certainly the tuna tartare starter and the lobster ravioli but not the swordfish gnocchi and from Menu 2 starters there was scallops and the ordinary gnocchi. For mains from Menu 1 certainly the Dover Sole but no veal and from Menu 2 the duck and the tenderloin but no sea bass. Re desserts the panna cotta, the chocolate tarte and the Berrymisu was offered and from Menu 2, the lovely limoncello soufflé.

My biggest regret over our four visits - all of which we really enjoyed - was I so missed the limoncello baba which was an all time favourite from Menu 1

On the other hand, Celebrity has improved their offerings at the Suite level and may start poaching Azamara customers if reports like this one continue. We just upgraded our Greek Isles cruise this summer to a Sky Suite, and the cost per day is less than our Veranda on Quest even though we booked under the super BOGOHO offer. We get the Luminae suites restaurant, premium beverage packages, unlimited internet, a butler, a concierge in Michael's Club -- plus the wider range of entertainment. A suite on Celebrity M-class may be a better value than Azamara -- who'd a thunk it? I'll be sure to do a comparative report in August.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Well, my first Azamara cruise is coming up in late August; we'll see if it is once and done. I absolutely hate lamb, don't eat raw stuff, and don't like duck. I may not have to worry about my diet during the 14 days.

Ann, it's good to read your comments because you are always fair and balanced. I'm sorry there were a few shortcomings on your cruise. My recollection of talking to Exec Chef Fabio about the Aqualina menus going back to one was they had received feedback from guests saying that each of the two menus had a cut up version of the favourites (some on one, some on the other) and they'd decided to go back to the one all encompassing menu with a couple of changes. Personally I preferred it like that and we had really good meals in Aqualina.

Sometimes there is just something "off" on a cruise. Not sure why. Perhaps yours was one of them and they were finding their feet in Australia, although the report you gave of the Azamazing events would suggest they are fine. Let's hope for a good time in April on Journey. I've spent a lot of my cruising time on that ship recently and it hasn't disappointed.

Phil

On the other hand, Celebrity has improved their offerings at the Suite level and may start poaching Azamara customers if reports like this one continue. We just upgraded our Greek Isles cruise this summer to a Sky Suite, and the cost per day is less than our Veranda on Quest even though we booked under the super BOGOHO offer. We get the Luminae suites restaurant, premium beverage packages, unlimited internet, a butler, a concierge in Michael's Club -- plus the wider range of entertainment. A suite on Celebrity M-class may be a better value than Azamara -- who'd a thunk it? I'll be sure to do a comparative report in August.

Value is in the eye of the beholder of course, but I don't think you have been on an Azamara ship yet, so with respect I'm not quite sure how you can compare. I've been on Azamara quite a few times and I have also experienced the suite offerings including Luminae on Celebrity and they really are very different. The suite experience is nice and Luminae good, but you still share the ship with 2000 or 3000 other guests. Then of course the likes of Constellation or Solstice can't take you to the same places as an Azamara ship. Best to experience it for yourself.

I'll be on Celebrity again in October and looking forward to the experience. I know I will hanker for a smaller ship though and the price difference for me sin't that far distant. In fact on a number of sailings Azamara comes out cheaper. They charge for those suites, especially now that it includes Michael's Club.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Your report will be of interest to many of us. For me, Azamara is also about destination as well as the onboard experience and you cant get a Celebrity ship as far inside the Reef as we were on this trip or docking right inside town in Bordeaux.

Your report will be of interest to many of us. For me, Azamara is also about destination as well as the onboard experience and you cant get a Celebrity ship as far inside the Reef as we were on this trip or docking right inside town in Bordeaux.

True, but other cruise lines seem to be able to duplicate the Azamara Norwegian Fjords itineraries, and Az doesn't do things that differently in the Greek Isles. I'm sure Az has much better itineraries in Asia, but we have no desire to go there. The really exotic itineraries I'm looking at are on National Geographic Expeditions.

Not for someone who wants no part of 3000 fellow passengers.

Great point. It's always a very different cruise experience, when you are on a ship with about 3000 Guests vs. a ship with nearly 700 guests. In that sense, we're comparing apples to oranges.... but the responses on this thread are excellent !

Ann, it's good to read your comments because you are always fair and balanced. I'm sorry there were a few shortcomings on your cruise. My recollection of talking to Exec Chef Fabio about the Aqualina menus going back to one was they had received feedback from guests saying that each of the two menus had a cut up version of the favourites (some on one, some on the other) and they'd decided to go back to the one all encompassing menu with a couple of changes. Personally I preferred it like that and we had really good meals in Aqualina.

Sometimes there is just something "off" on a cruise. Not sure why. Perhaps yours was one of them and they were finding their feet in Australia, although the report you gave of the Azamazing events would suggest they are fine. Let's hope for a good time in April on Journey. I've spent a lot of my cruising time on that ship recently and it hasn't disappointed.

Phil

I am sure April will be great, looking forward to it, despite the things I highlighted - I can see the reasons for the Aqualina change, shame as always the website is behind reality but more importantly, how do I persuade Fabio to get the Limoncello Baba back onto the choices......

I am sure April will be great, looking forward to it, despite the things I highlighted - I can see the reasons for the Aqualina change, shame as always the website is behind reality but more importantly, how do I persuade Fabio to get the Limoncello Baba back onto the choices......

Hi Ann,

I suspect such decisions are well above Fabio. May I suggest emailing IntlLeClubVoyage@Azamaraclubcruises.com , and ask them to forward your comments and suggestions to Azamara's Food & Beverage management team in Miami. Or, perhaps email Mr Twynam ? Just a thought.