B B King's

JPH814

We loved it. Yes, it's loud, but we have young ears. We listened to 2 of 3 sets each night- missing one for dinner. It was standing room only and people danced the entire time.

The sets were almost ALWAYS different, so they have a deep catalog. No pop - but R&B, rock and blues. Sets included Bill Withers, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton, Dusty Springfield, LOTS of Motown, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Prince.... you name it.

The acoustics in the Queens Lounge are not really suitable, which adds to the volume issue. But they are legit musicians who are very talented.

My husband and I are amateur musicians, my brother is a professional and we are always surrounded by music. We love any type of GOOD live performance, and this was a lot of fun. We are fans of classical as well (I am a cellist), but since they cut Adagio back to a piano and violin I am not as impressed. I always thought the HAL Cats were terrible with super cheesy arrangements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We really enjoyed the BB King band while on our recent Zuiderdam cruise. We didn't miss a night. The lead singers were excellent as were the horn and sax player. We don't dance, but enjoyed watching all the people who do. It was always a fun evening

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is way toooooo loud for us.

We walked by the Queen's Lounge one evening on one of the ships -- my ears were killing me in the hallway.

No way do I want to lose my hearing.

Good for you if you like loud music.

My feelings exactly. It's a shame they've got such a loud band in a small space.

And, sadly, the arrival of BB King spelled the end of the Neptunes, my favorite evening entertainment on HAL. The Neptunes on Maasdam a few years ago were outstanding musicians.

When we were on the Zuiderdam last year, we found the B.B. King group too loud to listen for long. We would have loved to stay longer and dance, but our ears couldn't take it.

However, one night they were the main show in the Vista Theater and in that setting, they were great.

HAL does a great job in recruiting very talented folks for this group.

Greg

It's a little bit of everything....on our December O-dam cruise, once we sampled it, we went back every evening for their early set. The band & singers were enjoyable to listen to & we didn't think it was too loud. Attentive beverage servers who learned our names & drinks within a night or two...

Here we go again with same people complaining about how loud it is. and here's the same old tired answer, always bring ear plugs every where you go.

On the Oosterdam the singers and musicians were so talented! Really great! We enjoyed them immensely. They played a good variety of music. We would have liked more blues but we enjoyed what they did play.

(I even wore ear plugs at the deck BBQ, the loud recorded music was so bad and I couldn't bear to hear "Shake, Shake, Shake, Shake your booty" which we heard every time we went to the aft pool.:cool:

I have happily sailed with four (3 Edam/1 NA, and another coming up in March) different lineups of these super talented young musicians and singers, and on only two or three nights out of fifty (I try to catch at least part of one set each night) did I find the volume level uncomfortably excessive. The blame doesn't rest with the band, rather it's the HAL entertainment tech crew in the booth... the same guys that on rare occasion pump crummy unsuitable music out to the Sea View Bar, not offensive music, just not in step with mood, time and setting up there.

To answer op question. Exactly what 1884Vic said, but I'll add, in addition to Motown they cover Atlantic R&B and Stax Records from the 60's, 70's disco divas Donna Summers and Gloria Gaynor, some EarthWind&Fire, and they do a great Santana medley. Basically something for most everybody. Every now and then they'll sneak in a contemporary pop song, usually of the type you'd hear at a wedding reception, and if you're very lucky you might get a true blues number or two.

BB King All-Stars is corporate music and they recruit their players from Memphis and Nashville. They are trained in the way the company wants them to represent, and to a person I've found them to be professional, approachable and some of them are REALLY fun, so if you enjoy the music and see a band member on deck let em know.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The B.B. King's was the best entertainment on our cruise aboard the Eurodam last summer. We are in our early '60's and we made at least one set each night. Great music--mostly Motown--by really talented performers and musicians.

I have happily sailed with four (3 Edam/1 NA, and another coming up in March) different lineups of these super talented young musicians and singers, and on only two or three nights out of fifty (I try to catch at least part of one set each night) did I find the volume level uncomfortably excessive. The blame doesn't rest with the band, rather it's the HAL entertainment tech crew in the booth... the same guys that on rare occasion pump crummy unsuitable music out to the Sea View Bar, not offensive music, just not in step with mood, time and setting up there.

To answer op question. Exactly what 1884Vic said, but I'll add, in addition to Motown they cover Atlantic R&B and Stax Records from the 60's, 70's disco divas Donna Summers and Gloria Gaynor, some EarthWind&Fire, and they do a great Santana medley. Basically something for most everybody. Every now and then they'll sneak in a contemporary pop song, usually of the type you'd hear at a wedding reception, and if you're very lucky you might get a true blues number or two.

BB King All-Stars is corporate music and they recruit their players from Memphis and Nashville. They are trained in the way the company wants them to represent, and to a person I've found them to be professional, approachable and some of them are REALLY fun, so if you enjoy the music and see a band member on deck let em know.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You're partially right about the blame. The sound techs could tame the volume if they choose to. But the musicians should be aware of volume level, too.

I've walked out of the showroom when the volume was uncomfortably loud. One time on Maasdam, the show was a pianist. The amplification was so bad that they made a grand piano sound tinny, like a kid's toy. It wasn't so much that it was loud, it was distorted. I went to the Ocean Bar and found the Neptunes. After their set, I talked with one of them, and said how nice to hear music that wasn't over-0amped. He said they controlled their own sound system and that's why it sounded so good.

The HAL Cats, OTOH, just pumped up the volume to hide how bad they were. (It didn't work)

IMHO the best entertainment available on a HAL ship.

I agree. Unfortunately, that's not saying much.

I guess I missed the whole point of the BB King label. I was on Oosterdam in October for 10 days and I dropped in periodically while they were playing, and sat through maybe 2 or 3 full 1-hour sessions. Not once did I actually hear a BB King song. They were really talented and the female lead singer was amazing but in truth, they were nothing more than a rock cover band. HAL could have achieved the same results without paying for the BB King label....especially since the cost of the show eliminated the acoustic player in the Crows Nest.

I guess I missed the whole point of the BB King label. I was on Oosterdam in October for 10 days and I dropped in periodically while they were playing, and sat through maybe 2 or 3 full 1-hour sessions. Not once did I actually hear a BB King song. They were really talented and the female lead singer was amazing but in truth, they were nothing more than a rock cover band. HAL could have achieved the same results without paying for the BB King label....especially since the cost of the show eliminated the acoustic player in the Crows Nest.

Sorry, no, they aren't a "rock" band of any description. They are an R&B band in the tradition of B.B.King (and I've seen him perform more times than I can count). They aren't a B.B.King "tribute" band, either, so no need to perform Mr. King's numbers. They do perform in the same manner as the house bands at the various B.B.King blues clubs around the US.

And they are - in my opinion - the best entertainment on the high seas, with the exception of The Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruisewhich also often takes place on a HAL ship.

S. They aren't a B.B.King "tribute" band, either, so no need to perform Mr. King's numbers. They do perform in the same manner as the house bands at the various B.B.King blues clubs around the US.

And they are - in my opinion - the best entertainment on the high seas, with the exception of The Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruisewhich also often takes place on a HAL ship.

Agree, on each and every sentence :)

Sorry, no, they aren't a "rock" band of any description. They are an R&B band in the tradition of B.B.King (and I've seen him perform more times than I can count). They aren't a B.B.King "tribute" band, either, so no need to perform Mr. King's numbers. They do perform in the same manner as the house bands at the various B.B.King blues clubs around the US.

I couldn't agree more!

Sorry, no, they aren't a "rock" band of any description.

I appreciate the apology, but there's no need for it. I'm not the one who needs to learn to accept others' opinions of the band.

Edited by Aquahound

You're partially right about the blame. The sound techs could tame the volume if they choose to. But the musicians should be aware of volume level, too.

Partially right ? I'm not a musician, and may be mistaken, but I don't recall ever seeing a volume dial on a trumpet, sax, or drum kit. We get it ... You don't like the BB King band, they are too loud for you (and KrazyKruizer) and that's okay, but if you don't have a response to op's question/topic find one of the many many threads you can offer a meaningful contribution.

BB King R&B band has been a part of HAL for several years now, HAL decided to lose Crows Nest entertainment just last year. One has nothing to do with the other. And guess what.. If the sometimes marginally talented soloist had been selling cocktails to a good crowd in the Crows Nest.. they'd still be there.:cool:

I appreciate the apology, but there's no need for it. I'm not the one who needs to learn to accept others' opinions of the band.

You're entitled to your opinion (they're good, bad, indifferent, loud, soft, too heavy on the drums, etc.) but the music they play, the genre, is a matter of fact - not opinion. And, not withstanding the grandstanding of certain politicians, people aren't entitled to make up their own facts.

They should be called the HAL R&B band, as it has little to do with BBK.

They are good players that can play R&B pop, read, and improvise very well.

The band mostly has a good repertoire, and appeals to the 50ish and up.

I remember once where they lauded this drummer, but man he was hitting that set so hard, it was unpleasant. Also the sound men at the mixers are getting deaf. so they pump it up, in all the venues.

I agree that folks with sensitive ears should always carry dampers to stuff them.

Could not imagine anything else in the QL at night.....

Wish they would play more blues :)

Edited by jpelleti007

BB King R&B band has been a part of HAL for several years now, HAL decided to lose Crows Nest entertainment just last year. One has nothing to do with the other. And guess what.. If the sometimes marginally talented soloist had been selling cocktails to a good crowd in the Crows Nest.. they'd still be there.:cool:

You know for a fact one has nothing to do with the other? How do you know that? I only said that because that's what I was told on a HAL ship.

You're entitled to your opinion (they're good, bad, indifferent, loud, soft, too heavy on the drums, etc.) but the music they play, the genre, is a matter of fact - not opinion. And, not withstanding the grandstanding of certain politicians, people aren't entitled to make up their own facts.

Hmmm. So it is a "fact" that Bon Jovi and Aerosmith are now R&B groups....two bands I heard them cover. Ok, got it. I'll be sure to contact iTunes and let them know they've got them listed under the wrong genres.