Wishing I Was On DAM Ship Right Now

1ANGELCAT

I too wish I was on a ship right now, some place warm and tropical comes to mind as I watch the blizzard of 16 outside my window. But I am grateful that my husband made it home from work safe and sound about 2 hours ago. Hope that everyone affected by this storm manages to stay safe & warm.

Wish I was on a DAM ship also, but I am in the south and we do not have it as bad as the Northeast. But it only takes a quarter of a inch in the South to shut everything! We have ice and on top of that, snow. It is snowing very lightly now.

People in the Northeast, please stay warm and safe! You can handle this way better then the old Southern people!

David

We've got 2' on the ground here along the Potomac, with another foot predicted today.

But think of those on the Grandeur of the Seas, due in Baltimore tomorrow. They've been told the port will be closed until at least Monday, so please stay out at sea...

South Western PA

We were told originally that the storm would not be too mad in our area -- about 1 - 2 inches.

Then yesterday they changed the forecast to 2 - 4 inches.

Well we are getting hit -- right now we have 9 inches and it is still coming down.

Seven Springs Resort -- not too far from us has 25 inches and it is still snowing heavily there.

Looking out my widow at the start of the blizzard here in SE Pennsylvania.

We are supposed to get at least a foot of snow. UGH!

To all my CC friends here on the east coast , stay safe and warm.

75 Days till the Koninsdam !

Hang in there. Stay warm... food, a fire in the fireplace, a bottle of wine, and a Mediterranean tour book.

Thinking of you & all our friends & family back East...

20 inches coming our way- and when I went to bed it was forecasted for only 6! Coupled with 40 MPH winds and coastal flooding here on the South Shore of Long Island, we are in for a doozy. This is when I question my sanity for living in NY during the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were supposed to get up to two feet here (just north of Richmond) but we had a much longer period of sleet last night than anticipated so we will not get that much. Today we are back to snow and strong winds. As luvtwotrvl said, we are not equipped for much accumulation, so I expect not to get out for at least two or three more days.

Going to watch the sail-aways today and pretend I am on the Westerdam headed for the Caribbean!:D

I wonder if cruise lines see a bump in bookings when there's a big storm?

In northern NJ, we've already got the 15 inches that were predicted, and about 12 hours of snow yet to come! It's so windy that the house across the street has no snow on the roof. We should be so lucky, but our big pine tree keeps that from happening.

I got an email from a friend on Anthem of the Seas. They're getting an extra sea day--they were due back on Monday, now it's Tuesday. She said they were staying close to land to avoid the back of the storm. But I wonder if it's really because the port will still be snowed in on Monday? Or suppliers can't get there to provision the ship?

Looking out my widow at the start of the blizzard here in SE Pennsylvania.

We are supposed to get at least a foot of snow. UGH!

To all my CC friends here on the east coast , stay safe and warm.

75 Days till the Koninsdam !

A bad day at sea is better than a bad day at sea is better than a good day on land

I would love to be sailing out of NYC today. It's light out, but the city lights would all be coming on as the ship sailed down the river and darkness set in. Be all bundled up against the cold and snow, looking forward to the change in temperature all day, each day, until it got too hot. It would be so thrilling.

In northern NJ, we've already got the 15 inches that were predicted, and about 12 hours of snow yet to come! It's so windy that the house across the street has no snow on the roof. We should be so lucky, but our big pine tree keeps that from happening.

I got an email from a friend on Anthem of the Seas. They're getting an extra sea day--they were due back on Monday, now it's Tuesday. She said they were staying close to land to avoid the back of the storm. But I wonder if it's really because the port will still be snowed in on Monday? Or suppliers can't get there to provision the ship?

Where are you in NJ? We live near Princeton but since we're not there, not sure how much they have.

I would love to be sailing out of NYC today. It's light out, but the city lights would all be coming on as the ship sailed down the river and darkness set in. Be all bundled up against the cold and snow, looking forward to the change in temperature all day, each day, until it got too hot. It would be so thrilling.

Sounds beautiful but you'd have a hard time today. All bridges and tunnels and subways have stopped running. Lifeboat drill would be interesting. I've done it from NY with ice and snow out there on the deck.Dream on though since it sounds so pretty.

It's because the port is closed on Monday.

40" and it's still snowing. I've lived here since 1994 and been through the Blizzards of 1996 (3') and 2010 when we had two nor'easters back to back, and this is the worst I've ever seen. The saving grace was that we had plenty of warning, and the snow is the light, fluffy kind, not the heavy, wet kind.

Nothing to do but read Cruise Critic and look at Cruises on the HAL web site (Inching to pull the trigger).

The snow today was too heavy. Visiblility would be poor and wind on deck would be intolerable. In a light snow, it's lovely. We sailed out of NYC in light snow on the way to a transcanal on QE2. We were enjoying lovely piano music in a lounge when an officer made an annoucement about patches of ice on the deck and please be careful if you went outside. The piano player stopped for the announcement, and before he went back to what he had been playing, he played a few quick bars of "let it snow."

And two days later, we were in warm, sunny Florida.

Edited to add: you couldn't get to the ship. NYC, Long Island, and lower Hudson Valley had a no-drive order. Bridges and tunnels between NY and NJ are closed, too.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder