Tipping in ports - what's expected?

Shih-tzu

Posting this here as the "ports" thread was specific to individual islands.

What are the expected tips while on different islands in the Caribbean for the items below while on shore? I really have no idea who/what to tip for. I have a small list of what I believe is probably tipped/expected tip, but any additions that I'm forgetting would be welcome.

Taxi drivers - amount or %? (i.e. 2 people on a taxi ride at $10.00/pp?

Tour guides (on shore excursions)? If there are two or three people working (such as a boat/catamaran tour) does each get tipped individually and what amount would be appropriate for a great tour/service?

Beaches - the fellows that bring your lounger and umbrella to your spot once you rent one??

Meals/Drinks - I would suspect it's the standard 15-20%??

Anything I should watch out for or "scams"? (I know about the pictures with monkeys - but I'm sure there's others.....)

I don't want to "cheat" anyone, but don't want to be handing out oodles of cash where it's not expected or required either.

(I'm going to be in San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and Sint Maartin).

I tip the same as I would in New York.

Cab drivers usually two or three dollars. If it's a longer ride $7 or $10

Tour Guides - $20 bus driver $10

similar for boat crew

Porters either $5 or $10 per bag, I tend to be very generous on embarkation day, very excited to be boarding a ship.

Use your common sense you'll be fine.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Posting this here as the "ports" thread was specific to individual islands.

What are the expected tips while on different islands in the Caribbean for the items below while on shore? I really have no idea who/what to tip for. I have a small list of what I believe is probably tipped/expected tip, but any additions that I'm forgetting would be welcome.

Taxi drivers - amount or %? (i.e. 2 people on a taxi ride at $10.00/pp? 20%

Tour guides (on shore excursions)? If there are two or three people working (such as a boat/catamaran tour) does each get tipped individually and what amount would be appropriate for a great tour/service? Boat/Catamaran excursion? The captain usually does not want tipped. However, his/her deck hands usually work for tips only. They will have a jar or pass around a hat, then the deck hands will split at the end. I usually tip $10 pp in my party.

Buss type guided excursion? I tip $5 to the driver, then $5 pp in my party to the tour guide.

Beaches - the fellows that bring your lounger and umbrella to your spot once you rent one?? Again, this is all going to be split by everyone who helps you. I may slip this person a $10 but at the end of the day, I'll add 20% to the final bill

Meals/Drinks - I would suspect it's the standard 15-20%??agreed

Anything I should watch out for or "scams"? (I know about the pictures with monkeys - but I'm sure there's others.....)

I don't want to "cheat" anyone, but don't want to be handing out oodles of cash where it's not expected or required either.

(I'm going to be in San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and Sint Maartin).

Tips are very individual and subjective to local culture.

The above in RED is my opinion only and only based on they did their job. Nothing excellent, nothing above and beyond, nothing below expectations.

My basic rule of thumb is,,,, did this person add to my vacation experience and make my wife and kids happy? If so,, I show my appreciation with some form a gratuity.

Tours I usually tip 10-15% of the tour price more if the guide is very good

Taxi a few $ if they are helping with luggage a bit more

Restaurants same as home 15% + depending on the service

It is a personal choice

We NEVER tip the person who rents us loungers....why???? You've paid for the service.

We tip tour guides IF the tour is better than expected. We've had great guides, and poor guides...we don't tip for poor service, especially when you've paid a goodly sum for a tour!

Definitely taxis...but not bus drivers (if it's a public bus!)

I think cruiserking is very generous.

In restaurants I tip about 15%

Loungers I don't tip ... as pointed out you are paying for the lounge and the service. Although I would tip on beverage service

Tour guides - for a full day tour about $10 pp if I thought he/she added to the experience. $5 pp for the bus driver. (Although on tour on Corsica we tipped the driver same as guide because of the unbelievably narrow and twisty roads he had to navigate.) Half of the above for a 1/2 day tour (usually just the two of us).

Taxi drivers - it depends how long the ride is. If the fare is $5 pp to get from port to downtown, that's what we pay ... especially if they try and squeeze extra people into the taxi instead of just taking off with the two of us. If the taxi driver gives us a price for a 'tour of the island' and we are happy with it, usually tip 10 to 15%

Regarding taxis and tours, would your advice be the same in Alaska as in the Islands? Do different economies require a different tip scale?

Thanks.

Vicki

If memory serves me correctly, when we did our tour with Princess, tipping was included in all tours. If we felt the guide/driver deserved more, we tipped same as Caribbean, knowing that it was over and above what they were getting from Princess.

Have to agree that CruiserKing is a very generous person. Americans are often seen as both generous and foolish (for overtipping) around the world. For example, here in Mexico (we live in Puerto Vallarta) the culture regarding taxi drivers is not to tip at all...or perhaps give an extra few Pesos if the driver does something extra (like help with lots of luggage). It is the same on many Caribbean islands where taxi fares are set by the government (i.e. on St Thomas). We do tip for certain services that are worthy of some extra reward, but the US tradition of tipping 15-20% for everything is just not the norm in most of the world.

As to guides (we generally avoid tours) that is a very person thing. If you get a very good guide then perhaps a decent tip is warranted. But get a lousy or boring guide and we would probably not give them anything! My point is to read about the tipping culture in places you are going...and use that standard. Do not simply project your home standard to the rest of the world. So a New Yorker, used to tipping 20% in a good restaurant, might consider leaving zero tip at a decent restaurant in Sydney, Australia. Or in a European cafe, one might only leave a little extra change rather then a 15% tip. And beware of places that levy a "Service Charge" as part of the tab. When that happens there is no need for an extra tip...or perhaps you might want to leave a very small extra tip for extraordinary service.

Hank

First realize that like most things everyone has a different approach to most tipping.

For taxis in the Caribbean we tip around 10%. If we are not happy with the driver less. We might also round up or down.

As to tipping on a shore excursion it really varies. I base the amount on how long and expensive the tour is and the quality of the tour. If the tour is a bust, I won't tip. If it is fantastic I tip accordingly and the same if it meets my expectations. Don't overthink it.

Oo a beach if someone was helpful I would give them a few dollars.

Tips around 15% but can vary this from 10 to 20 percent.

Again don't overthink it and vary what you do based on your enjoyment or lack of enjoyment

Keith