Host Andy - Live From Azamara Journey !

Andy

Bluegum, you will love the cruise. We did the opposite version last year - Singapore to Hong Kong. We especially loved Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City was very interesting, we loved our tour ( private) to Hanoi, the day on a Junk on Halong Bay was great too. The most interesting market we saw was the local market in Da Nang - amazing!

What's really great is that the boat goes right up the river to both Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh city. We found it fascinating sitting on our balcony both mornings as we went upriver - we were out there at dawn for the journey up the Snake river to Ho Chi Minh and had room service breakfast out there.

In Bangkok the shuttle bus takes you right into the very centre - from there it's easy to get the Skytrain to the river, then take a water taxi right up the river to get a real feeling for Bangkok.

You'll have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd offer a segment of "Random Thoughts" tonight. Hope you enjoy !

The Patio :

I'm absolutely loving what they've done to the former Pool Grill area. Not only does it look great, but the lunch offerings are outstanding. The Burgers are to die for - cooked to order, and very high quality. I'm also enjoying the skewers. 3 different types, steak, lamb and chicken - all of which are outstanding. If you like onion rings, don't miss them. I think they are the same ones from Johnny Rockets on RCCL ships - but they are fantastic. Here's a tip. I've noticed that very few guests order the Tuna Wrap. Do try it if you have a chance - it's absolutely delicious !

The Patio also offers an upgraded evening menu with table linens and waiter service, which is not catching on all that much - yet... possibly because it's been very hot, but I suspect this is going to be a *huge* success. We plan to try it in the next few days, so please stay tuned for additional insights.

SHHHH, don't tell everyone yet, our plan is to eat there many nights ;) Hubby will be delighted to hear about the burgers!

If you still have a chance, I'd be curious to know if they will show the Superbowl Sunday.

I'm really interested to hear more about the Patio at night as well - that's one area of the Azamara website that hasn't been updated yet (still called Pool Grill, hours ending at 6pm) Though there's a note in the Reimagining section on the Patio, no specifics are listed yet (that I've found - but I find the website occasionally circuitous and confusing. Maybe it's just that I get sucked into daydreaming whenever I open it? :o)

SHHHH, don't tell everyone yet, our plan is to eat there many nights ;) Hubby will be delighted to hear about the burgers!

If you still have a chance, I'd be curious to know if they will show the Superbowl Sunday.

I've been advised that the Superbowl will be shown onboard. Enjoy your cruise !

Hi Bonnie,

I'm glad to hear that you are working on obtaining the new menus. When I return home on Sunday, I will be happy to post them here on the Azamara forum, and create a new "Sticky" thread. Please let me know if that works for you. Thanks !

Absolutely! And s new sticky thread would be great.

Thank you, for all you do!

Bonnie

I must be looking at the wrong posts as I cannot see where the link is to the photos that have been taken of the "New" decorations.

Can someone please add a link.

Drydock thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2300087

Azamara blog thread with pics here:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/blog/first-look-our-newly-reimagined-azamara-journey

Hi Everyone,

For those who asked about The Patio evening menu, I will look into obtaining a copy, and will post it when I return home. I think we might dine there tonight or tomorrow, so please stay tuned.

yeah! (even if Im not happy my team isnt playing ;) Thank you Andy for finding that out, and for all you've done to report! It's much appreciated!:D

My pleasure. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise. We still have 2.5 days to go, and I'm already jealous. Alas, all good things must come to an end..... but we'll soon be planning our next Azamara voyage.

I must be looking at the wrong posts as I cannot see where the link is to the photos that have been taken of the "New" decorations.

Can someone please add a link.

Here's the link that I had posted on the thread previously.

It's a story from USA today with tons of pictures of the Journey after the dry dock.

You can also see them in full screen.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/01/29/azamara-journey-cruise-makeover/79520214/

Hi Andy,

First .....Thanks for your posts and pictures throughout dry dock and updates whilst you have been on the cruise. They have been brilliant .

Just one small question which maybe have been answered elsewhere but I would just like to know what plug adapters I will need to bring from the UK for charging phone, I .Pad etc. I am in a Veranda Stateroom but can't see on the pictures anywhere what the plug sockets are.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Olwen :)

Here's the link that I had posted on the thread previously.

It's a story from USA today with tons of pictures of the Journey after the dry dock.

You can also see them in full screen.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/01/29/azamara-journey-cruise-makeover/79520214/

Thanks for the link! Great pictures!

Andy, are there any photos of the ocean view or ordinary balcony cabins (sorry staterooms) Thank you.

Hi Mrs Miggins,

My Sister is in a veranda. I will try and take some photos before we get to Miami. If that does not happen, I am aware that Azamara is onboard, taking plenty of photos. I will keep trying !

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your posts have you been into the steam room area, just wondered have they changed anything in there, and is it still FOC.

Thanks

Hi LEESRE,

I have not been to the Steam room area. It's been very hot outside, and I'm sweating enough on my own :)

I visited the Spa and Gym today, and both areas looked very, very nice. The Gym was quite busy too.

Did the USA today link answer your question ?

Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Andy,

First .....Thanks for your posts and pictures throughout dry dock and updates whilst you have been on the cruise. They have been brilliant .

Just one small question which maybe have been answered elsewhere but I would just like to know what plug adapters I will need to bring from the UK for charging phone, I .Pad etc. I am in a Veranda Stateroom but can't see on the pictures anywhere what the plug sockets are.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Olwen :)

Hi Olwen,

Here's what I found out : There's 4 plugs by the desk (2 US, and 2 European). There's 2 additional plugs by the refrigerator (both US - 1 is used by the refrigerator).

Hope the information is helpful. Enjoy your Cruise !

Andy, do the Club Continent Suites have throw pillows? I would like to not have to bring one for the dining chairs. ;)

Garry

Hi Garry,

They do not have throw pillows in the Club Continent Suites . There's two barrel type pillows, which the butler called "Body Pillows". Whatever they are, they wouldn't work for the Dining room chairs.

I asked our butler if a throw pillow could possibly be obtained, and he said that he thought so. With that said, you may wish to bring your own, or possibly consider the travel pillow mentioned a couple of pages back.

Hope this helps !

AzAmazing Evening - An Interesting Evening.

The weather was perfect in St. Barts, and it took several hours for the Azamara Journey staff to set up the Pool Deck. Dinner was served buffet style in the Discoveries Dining Room - which was very good. I presume this was coordinated, to make certain that everyone could dine in time to attend the event.

The evening started with a glass of champagne, and a beautiful array of chocolate desserts - very nice !

A Crew Parade followed, along with a heartfelt speech by Captain Johannes. As I've said on many occasions, he's a truly wonderful man. His incredible personality, sincerity, and leadership, makes the Azamara Cruise experience super special.

As for the evening itself, well.... there were a number of technical glitches, but I believe that everything eventually worked itself out. It consisted of a group of women twirling sheer white flags, a woman twirling a pair of lighted balls. Maybe that doesn't sound right, but thats the best way I can describe it :). 3 ballerinas in multicolor LED lighted tu-tu's, which was interesting, and a lovely opera singer. I think the most Azamazing item of the night, was her white gown, which had a 20-30 foot train. Someone actually thought it was a good idea for her to make her entrance from Deck 10, and walk down a flight of steps to Deck 9, reversing the process for her exit. How nothing went wrong there (thank goodness), was Azamazing in itself. Note to Azamara : If you ever do this again, either A) Skip the Stairs, or B) have her wear a normal dress. Nobody would have thought any less of her (or the event) in a more reasonable outfit.

The evening ended, with tables of coffee, tea, and desserts by the Patio area.

The Verdict : Tough call. I realize that on most occasions, the AzAmazing evening is held off the ship. From what I've heard, it would be virtually impossible to do this in the Caribbean. Fair enough - but it probably takes away from the "specialness" of the evening. From a somewhat selfish perspective, I'm glad it was held onboard, or we never would have been able to attend.

On another thread, someone called the performers "amateurish". I think that comment was somewhat unfair, especially in the case of the Opera singer, who was wonderful. Those who attended, applauded rapidly, so I thought they were enjoying the event. Maybe they were just being polite. Who knows ? At the end of the day, would I call the event "AzAmazing" ? I'd have to say no... but we certainly enjoyed what was offered.

A final thought... Azamara and the onboard officers and crew deserve a HUGE amount of kudos and thanks, as it was very clear that a huge effort was made by everyone on the ship. Was it perfect ? No... but, it was a very enjoyable evening, and the weather under the stars was perfect. That's good enough for us.

Hi Olwen,

Here's what I found out : There's 4 plugs by the desk (2 US, and 2 European). There's 2 additional plugs by the refrigerator (both US - 1 is used by the refrigerator).

Hope the information is helpful. Enjoy your Cruise !

Andy, aren't there USB sockets by the bed? Thought I read there was and hope so. Perfect for charging phones and iPad with no need for an adaptor.

Phil

Andy, aren't there USB sockets by the bed? Thought I read there was and hope so. Perfect for charging phones and iPad with no need for an adaptor.

Phil

On the CC suites they are under the bedside light fittings (well they were in the mocked up room). Mind not easy to spot if no one tells you