Recommended Jewelry Stores in St. Martin

Grindem

Effy is a good starting point, and, as someone mentioned, there can be good deals on their sale counter. Over the years we've probably visited most of the jewelry shops but we've purchased from only a few. DW likes Marco Bicego and Roberto Coin and has been very happy with her purchases in Artistic and Goldfinger. Both shops carry high end watches, too. As far as Diamonds International is concerned, all I can say is "buyer beware" and that's based on personal experience.

Before going jewelry shopping in St. Maarten in 2014, I did my research at home, reading reviews, etc. of various jewelers. But I knew what I wanted. I was looking for a jeweler that carried a nice selection of a specific brand (Mark Henry) of natural Alexandrite jewelry, so my choices were limited. I chose to visit Majesty Jewelers and am very pleased with my purchase. My DH and I were treated very well there, and I got a price with which I was satisfied - a huge discount off the 'sticker price'. The piece appraised for just about the original 'sticker price', so I suppose it was a pretty good deal. As it turned out, Majesty was one of the cruiseline-endorsed jewelers (I was sailing on RCI), but this was a coincidence - it played no part in my decision of where to shop.

Happy sails and jewelry sales, everyone!:)

Ray's is the store we have been doing business with for the past 17 years. They have 2 stores in St. Maarten.

These stores are family owned and they genuinely care that you get the best, as they are looking to acquire clients for life and that is why we do not shop at DI.

Randy

Have to agree with Randy here. Been shopping there for 15 years and never been disappointed. Sales staff extremely knowledgeable and professional and never high pressure. Might suggest OP check out comments and reviews on Trip Advisor, too.

A friend who cruised with me two years ago recommended them. She has been shopping at their Aruba location for years. My sister bought me very inexpensive (relatively speaking) earrings. They are lovely, and she got a very, very good markdown from the sticker price. I found the family to be incredibly welcoming, and they never once treated us any with any less care than anyone else in the shop even though we were not there to make a large purchase.

Very true. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. We do negotiate and our respective salesman is fair with us. In fact, last visit we were looking at a price that was too low for them to accommodate and potentially lose the sale, so we know they have a bottom line with quality jewellery and I respect that. Appraisals come in almost exactly to theirs. We have been dealing with them so long we're on their Christmas card list! DH doesn't think this is a good thing.

Does anyone have a list of the jewelry stores in St. Martin that are recommended by Celebrity Cruise lines ?

My advise is - if you are looking for specific item ,first look at your home stores. You may be surprised by much better deals at home. Caribbean today it not the same as 10 years ago.

I bought a 4.5 carat Tanzanite and Diamond ring at Rays this last year. I "haggled" (which they expect) and got him down to $1,000. When I got home I took it into a jeweler here and was told the value was $4,000. They are great to deal with and good prices.

We too use Rays, have bought everytime we are in St Marten. Last year, we called and asked him to make us a certain charm. Site unseen, we trust him that much, we ordered and paid for it, and picked it up in October for a Christmas present.

My advise is - if you are looking for specific item ,first look at your home stores. You may be surprised by much better deals at home. Caribbean today it not the same as 10 years ago.

Excellent advice. There are tons of pale tanzanite, cloudy rubies and included diamonds being passed off on the unwary who think they are getting bargains. The trouble is how does one compare, say, diamonds at home with diamonds in the Caribbean? Unless they have a GIA (not EGL) certificate, one would have to be a gemologist to tell the true quality. Watches are a different story, as model numbers can be compared. I have friends who are addicted to a certain high end jewelry cable channel and who claim the prices and return policy can't be beat. If true, DW can spend time on the beach, rather than hoofing up and down the streets of the Caribbean :D

My mother picked up an Effy Tanzanite and Diamond ring in St Thomas for $2700 regular price $5800 and appraised at $7000.00 a few weeks ago while on the Reflection, she always prefers to deal with Effy only in the islands as they are worldwide and has never had an issue. Didn't make any significant purchases on the Constellation however, just a couple watches from Diamonds International while in Cozumel :)

Dw prefers stores that also have a mainland US presence, just in case service is required. Her favorite is Effy. In 2014 while on Eclipse she priced a piece from their catalog at the Effy stores on six different islands. Amazing variability in their pricing. She ended up buying it at her favorite location on Front St in St Maarten where it was several hundred dollars cheaper than the other islands. They actually didn't have the piece in stock, but because we had bought from them several times before we allowed them to charge our credit card and the next day when we arrived at St Thomas there was an Effy man waiting at the gangway with our jewelry. Have always been totally satisfied.

We have been working with Sanjay and Dolly at Alpha Jewels for the past 3 years. Purchases included Tanzanite pendant and bracelet as well as an Alexandrite ring and pendant. Alexandrite came with GIA certification. They are very nice to work with and stand behind their jewels. Their home company in New York handled one re-sizing for a man's diamond ring for my husband.

They are located near the end of Front Street at 15-B (opposite Guavaberry Emporium).

It is my understanding that St Thomas, as an unincorporated territory of the US and despite being "duty free" does actually pay an extra 7-8% (approx) duty of things and therefore is a little more expensive than St. Maarten.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

I personally will not shop at any of the stores recommended by the cruiseline because I've found their pricing to be high. There is a store at the far end of Front St called Shiva. I have been buying from them for at least 20 years, and have always been pleased with the quality and price. I've made many purchases from them, and it's the only jewelry store in the Caribbean that I will buy from. They have a second location in Aruba, but I have only shopped at the St. Maarten store.

I have been visiting ST. Martin for more than 20 years. I often buy jewelry. Most stores are honest and sell quality jewelry. I have been happy with purchases from Joe's. Artistic, Zahav, Pearl Gems, Little Switzerland, and Columbian Emeralds. I had a stone crack on a ring bought at Columbian Emeralds. I sent it back and had it replaced at no charge. The only place that sold me a poorly made products was Diamonds International. I bought a diamond wedding band with 5 stones. Settings broke. Fortunately, I did not loose the stones. I will never buy anything from them. Prices are better on St. Martin than on most other islands.

• 11 months later...
I always go to Ballerina & Milano. I've always been pleased with my appraisal upon return home

Appraisals are ONLY for replacement value for when you buy jewelry insurance. It does not mean you got a good deal, nor does it mean that is what your jewelry is worth.

It is only for insurance replacement value.

If you ever had to sell, you would never get the appraisal amount. With jewelry, you buy at retail prices and sell at (below) wholesale prices....

Edited by spleenstomper

Watch the prices closely. Many, if not all, cruise lines get paid by the stores they recommend. I think 10 to 12% is typical on jewelry but I'm sure there is some due diligence done by the cruise lines also prior to their agreeing to recommend.

Some lines insure they get their cut by urging you to "register" your purchase when you "return to the ship to make sure the guarantee/warranty will be covered". This way they know exactly how much the store owes them for their cut. Many smaller family owned jewelers on the islands refuse to play the game.

My favorite shop in STM is:

Oro Diamanté

Fine Jewelers of Distinction

62 B Front Street,

St. Maarten, N.A

http://www.oro-diamante.com

Tel: 1 (721) 543 0342 or 543 0343

U.S. #: 917 464 5704 or 213 596 0853

Raju is the owner and he has a terrific selection and great prices. Great customer service. As in other Caribbean ports, many shops are not "approved" by the cruiselines, meaning they don't have to pay a commission to the shopping "experts". Be sure to consider purchasing loose stones too, as they are duty-free if purchased in most (if not all) ports.

Liz

Highly rec this store....got a great solar water resistant watch & beautiful green garnet ring there at a great price last visit, ,.they treat you well...no pressure...His brother or cousin has another store where we have previously done well with gold...can't recall name of store..