Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

LMaxwell

Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

Not many of that 12% said what they would actually be prepared to pay though. Very easy to vote "yes" in the hope that somehow Celebrity will take notice and go back to formal.

I would have preferred more people to comment on WHAT they were willing to pay, but based on the title and premise of the thread, voting yes is equivalent to voting to pay some amount. So while many did not affix a dollar amount to their yes, the yes indicates a willingness to spend.

However, if you are saying some voted yes with no intent to spend and are just trying to "game" the poll, so to speak, that is also possible.

But what really is the point of even having a dress code at such a level of dress. Just let people come dressed however they please. Does a golf shirt collar really matter? Does the length of the leg coverage really make a difference? Won't you enjoy your meal just as much? I guess you could have a dress code which requires some type of top and some type of bottom, or a combination of both (aka dress), combined with something on your feet.

I'm all for a more casual dress code and I take advantage of them when I am on ships that offer them. I don't go sweaty, in gym or pool clothes, or lawn mowing clothes, no graphic T-shirts or sports logos, etc. I dress clean and comfortable. But for some this is an issue. To me I actually enjoy the experience more when I am comfortable and I am one that thinks ships are NEVER cold inside!

And just what do I get for paying extra ??????????????????????

You get an environment guaranteed to have those around you all dressed to a higher level, in a section / room that carries a much higher minimum than the rest of the ship. There is not additional food or services over the MDR, the payment is for the environment and ambiance, potentially quieter as it would be less crowded / more intimate.

However, since no major infrastructure change, extra kitchen, new menu, additional staff, etc. are needed to accomplish this, the overall costs could be kept relatively in check. I personally thought the fellow who said $35pp set the mark higher than I would if I were the cruise line.

Edited by LMaxwell

Been on QotS last year. There is a formal , free restaurant, however, it is not formal. A few tuxes, some dark suits, many sport coats, about 25-40% casual. Of course, the MDR has not really been formal for 10years. That is why I never understand these moronic dress codes threads

Been on QotS last year. There is a formal , free restaurant, however, it is not formal. A few tuxes, some dark suits, many sport coats, about 25-40% casual. Of course, the MDR has not really been formal for 10years. That is why I never understand these moronic dress codes threads

Your failure to understand doesn't make the topic moronic. I feel it has been explained in here a few times as to the idea and concept in a very simplistic manner.

Will it be ok if I wear my favorite teams ball cap in the MDR. I did not see it listed in the dress code as being prohibited. I usually wear it whenever I eat in local casual restaurants.

The only thing stopping you is your wife.:p

personally I always thought it was unnecessary to wear a hat indoors.

Edited by MicCanberra

Will it be ok if I wear my favorite teams ball cap in the MDR. I did not see it listed in the dress code as being prohibited. I usually wear it whenever I eat in local casual restaurants.

Usual protocol is that gentlemen remove hats indoors, unless religious attire.

On our last cruise someone wore the same large brim backwards cap wherever he went,,,day, night,inside outside..

guess local norms vary????

Edited by hcat

I've created a poll above with two choices; yes and no, to try to keep things simple. Would you pay a surcharge for a dining room, or walled off section of the dining room, that was mandatory formal only? It would still be dining room service and menu, but clearly partitioned. This does not mean you can only dress formally in this section; you can dress formal on the beach for all anyone cares, but it does mean strictly no admittance without formal wear.

Write in: If you answered yes please indicate how much you would pay for this, say, per person per night.

I say no. If you want to have one of the specialty restaurants closed off 2 nights of a 7 night cruise and restrict it to those in formal wear, fine. I might even come to one of those parties. But the MDR space has far too many partitions already...

There are slobs wherever you go...

Normal men do not wear hats indoors. Exceptions made for those undergoing chemo, under religious obligation, or due to their employment (e.g., clown).

Just had a look at the poll numbers an overwhelming NO.

Wonder how many of those are

No cause I hate formal

No, cause why should I pay extra fir something that's always been part of the cruise experience

Np, cause its not worth extra money

Or

No, for some other reason.

It is not a problem but most likely will not see ball caps in the evenings.

Edited by Jade13

There are slobs wherever you go...

Normal men do not wear hats indoors. Exceptions made for those undergoing chemo, under religious obligation, or due to their employment (e.g., clown).

Love it, we get our fair share of those on some cruises.:cool:

MicCanberra, you have many terrific revenue generating ideas for Celebrity!

If only the OP would occasionally let the readers know her latest thoughts on this topic. I've never seen such "nurturing" of a topic!

Yeah, I think I should get some rebates off my next cruise.;)

Just had a look at the poll numbers an overwhelming NO.

Wonder how many of those are

No cause I hate formal

No, cause why should I pay extra fir something that's always been part of the cruise experience

Np, cause its not worth extra money

Or

No, for some other reason.

I voted Yes, but you would never catch me in that dining room! With the doing away of the "formal" dining night, I would be OK with an offering of a specialty restaurant where true formal wear was a requirement. Then, those who bitch and moan about the lack of formal night and, if they wear their formal duds, their experience is ruined by having to dine in the MDR with the great proletariat. They would be surrounded by their like-minded cohorts and could enjoy a dinner in their tuxes and gowns… Since you would only wall off for 1-2 nights per cruise, I could see just making a temporary separation. No need to kick out the majority that do the cruise line's suggested dress, but to offer those who feel the need to snub their nose at the suggested dress and overdress in their formal stuff...

I voted Yes, but you would never catch me in that dining room! With the doing away of the "formal" dining night, I would be OK with an offering of a specialty restaurant where true formal wear was a requirement. Then, those who bitch and moan about the lack of formal night and, if they wear their formal duds, their experience is ruined by having to dine in the MDR with the great proletariat. They would be surrounded by their like-minded cohorts and could enjoy a dinner in their tuxes and gowns… Since you would only wall off for 1-2 nights per cruise, I could see just making a temporary separation. No need to kick out the majority that do the cruise line's suggested dress, but to offer those who feel the need to snub their nose at the suggested dress and overdress in their formal stuff...

I really don't understand what your problem is. People are basically allowed to wear what they please now. Isn't that good enough? I seems the ones who want a separate formal dining room are the ones who are able to wear more casual clothing now.

This comes directly from the Celebrity website so why you would think anyone is "snubbing" their nose at suggested dress is beyond me. Relax and be happy and don't worry if someone decides to dress up.

"Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise."

Edited by Ma Bell

I really don't understand what your problem is. People are basically allowed to wear what they please now. Isn't that good enough? I seems the ones who want a separate formal dining room are the ones who are able to wear more casual clothing now.

This comes directly from the Celebrity website so why you would think anyone is "snubbing" their nose at suggested dress is beyond me. Relax and be happy and don't worry if someone decides to dress up.

"Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise."

I think Slidergirl was agreeing with the new dress code, but saying she supports a separate area for those to go who feel that their entire holiday is ruined because of what a stranger wears (I.e not formal, dressy, classy enough for them). And, if I'm correct, I agree. If what I'm wearing is within the stated dress code, but someone just doesn't like it, it's their problem not mine, and I don't want to hear about it [emoji41]

I can't see how they can make a small dining room with MDR work on just chic nights - what will it be used for at other times? It will take valuable space away from the MDR - unless those people paying the premium for Formal Dress eat in that area on non Chic nights - but then the whole I'm not dressing up argument would only resurface again in the near future when someone turns up not dressed in their Formal evening wear.

Im sure I read that the Grand Dining room on Quantum of the Seas was intended to be Formal Clothing every night the ship launched. I believe that dress code has been relaxed a bit now.

I think Slidergirl was agreeing with the new dress code, but saying she supports a separate area for those to go who feel that their entire holiday is ruined because of what a stranger wears (I.e not formal, dressy, classy enough for them). And, if I'm correct, I agree. If what I'm wearing is within the stated dress code, but someone just doesn't like it, it's their problem not mine, and I don't want to hear about it [emoji41]

No, I think the problem is some people won't be happy until the "possibility" that someone might dress up is completely gone. I've been on lots of Celebrity cruises and have never seen any kind of confrontation or argument between passengers about what someone was wearing. The argument was only here on these boards.

There have also been very few people who ever say there entire holiday is ruined, just that they may have enjoyed Formal Nights. As far as I know people are allowed to think and feel whatever they like as long as they keep it to themselves.

Now that Celebrity has changed the dress code people should feel comfortable wearing whatever they consider chic on Evening Chic nights. Apparently that is not the case or they wouldn't be so concerned that people might continue to dress up.

No, I think the problem is some people won't be happy until the "possibility" that someone might dress up is completely gone. I've been on lots of Celebrity cruises and have never seen any kind of confrontation or argument between passengers about what someone was wearing. The argument was only here on these boards.

There have also been very few people who ever say there entire holiday is ruined, just that they may have enjoyed Formal Nights. As far as I know people are allowed to think and feel whatever they like as long as they keep it to themselves.

Now that Celebrity has changed the dress code people should feel comfortable wearing whatever they consider chic on Evening Chic nights. Apparently that is not the case or they wouldn't be so concerned that people might continue to dress up.

I'm not concerned that others will continue to dress up. Is that the impression the thread topic has created? It should not be. I am simply saying that I understand that of those who will continue to dress up that some amongst those are NOT happy that others will not dress up and feel the atmosphere is not conducive to their full enjoyment. That is why I suggested a separate area with a higher bar of entry; to maintain the atmosphere they desire.

I'm not concerned that others will continue to dress up. Is that the impression the thread topic has created? It should not be. I am simply saying that I understand that of those who will continue to dress up that some amongst those are NOT happy that others will not dress up and feel the atmosphere is not conducive to their full enjoyment. That is why I suggested a separate area with a higher bar of entry; to maintain the atmosphere they desire.

In my opinion, the only thing you are doing by creating this thread is trying to "stir the pot" and create controversy. :rolleyes: