Why are NCL Roll Calls so Lame?

TNCruzer56

Seriously almost every single cruise I have been on has had "lame" roll calls. The cruise the week before or after will have 10 pages & ours will have 2. There are WAY too many factors that can influence how active a roll call is, so I wouldn't blame it on the line or the cruisers of that line or single or married or anything else.

Edited by hansolosmom

I post in roll calls just to get some information and share the excitement of an upcoming trip with others. However, since DH is pretty shy (as am I to an extent) we have never attended a M&G or any other gathering. We've chatted with people on ships that we run into a lot (like the same 2 couples we saw on our last Gem cruise) and sometimes team up for trivia, but we're never part of the CC action lol I guess that makes us lame :D

I do not agree. Everyone is different and you know who you are. That's ok

I'm outgoing to a fault.

It is great we are not all just alike.

I don't care who the captain of the ship is, so long as he doesn't steer us aground or tip us over. I know meeting the crew is important to a lot of people, I'm not disparaging it - it's just not important to me. I like to meet people in a natural way when onboard - at a martini tasting, sharing a table etc.

Many of the roll calls I've checked out for our prior cruises have been pretty dull - how's the weather there, this is how weather is here, I just let the dog out...probably very nice people but not enough to make me get off of my massage table to go to a meet n greet.

Long time CCL cruzer and always had an active to over-active Roll Call. We planned Sail~Away gatherings, slot pulls, shore excursions together and met frequently onboard for a cocktail or coffee. Nothing on our upcoming March cruz. Folks making comments but no intentions of getting together or even acknowledging one another. I`ve even looked at other RCs and pretty much the same. Are CCL and NCL Pax that different???

People have always made the difference (many many Great times and memories) on each of our 18+ cruzes, but I`ve tried humor, pleading, whatever and nothing.

I know that meeting strangers face to face is not everybody`s cup of tea, but it begs the question, why even post to a roll call if you don`t plan on participating?

-

OK-Flame away!

It's not the difference between Norwegian and carnival it's a difference in times. All of the roll calls are deadly slow. I'm cruising on three carnival cruises in February and one Norwegian cruise in March and none of the roll calls has much activity!

I don't care who the captain of the ship is, so long as he doesn't steer us aground or tip us over. I know meeting the crew is important to a lot of people, I'm not disparaging it - it's just not important to me. I like to meet people in a natural way when onboard - at a martini tasting, sharing a table etc.

I was surprised that meeting senior staff was the most important benefit to many people. On most of my cruises, there was a Latitudes party two hours after the M&G where you could meet ... senior staff.

Maybe the M&G doesn't have much point if you just want to meet staff. There are other places.

I agree about "natural ways" but the Roll Call should give you a head start.

Meet & Greets have been fun for us. We are actually going with another couple on our upcoming cruise that we met through M&G 3 years ago. We had activities with M&G folk and sometimes nothing other than the M&G. We are retired so now with more relax time I enjoy meeting and talking with other people who enjoy cruising. I don't want to be with you every second but I do enjoy recognizing a face and waving. CCL has recently been short mother and daughter cruises and we never see anyone post on our dates.

This time out our group has a slot pull planned, one poster is organizing a gift exchange and one poster said she will have a gathering in her cabin. All sounds like fun to me since I don't have to anything but show up.:)

Both my April Gem Roll Call and my Oct Dawn Roll Call have been active lately. For the Gem, we have over 60 signed up for the M&G and 40 for the Slot Pull. No Cabin Crawl planned as yet but since this is our 7th Gem cruise I am pretty much Cabin Crawled out anyway. :D

We walked in at the tail end of our last M&G - since everyone else was there on time we think it was probably, maybe, not their fault. But it was well attended. That was back in October on the Gem.

Through the roll call we were signed up for a sail away party a couple had in their suite, the slot pull and cabin crawl. The cabin crawl is actually the most interesting activity to me; you rarely get to see so many different cabins while on a cruise. The slot pull is probably the least interesting because I don't enjoy gambling. And it's always nice to meet nice people who actually do exist on the NCL forums on CC.

When I booked my September 2016 cruise on black friday, I looked on the roll calls and couldn't find one, so I did a search and sure enough, there was one started in 2014 with about six posts. I posted and then waited and waited and waited for another post. None. Nil. Nada. I kept bumping this roll call up to the top and still nothing. I gave up. Now on the second part of my b2b cruise there are several active posters and enjoy sharing the anticipation of this cruise. Ellie.

We've made some great friends and shared trips through the roll call but it definitely depends on the destination. If it's Europe with mainly English passengers most are very reserved and don't like meeting new folk.

One p&o roll call only two families attended from about 20 on the roll call.

I've set up several, and they've been a lot of fun. I'm really disappointed that our roll call for our upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise on the Jewel has almost no participation. I'm not sure why.

We've met some great friends through the roll calls and had some fun excursions set up as well, along with the regular ship activities that we've done. I enjoy meeting new friends on the ships.

I don't typically attend the M&G. I plan to pop in but get to doing other things once on board.

I do however enjoy planning and talking to others.

I wish my roll call was more active as I was hoping to tour share. This western Mediterranean cruise will be expensive in regards to excursions if some folks don't join in.

3 pages in and I have only glimpsed a few posts:

One factor half the ship doesn't even know about M&G sometimes referred to Meet and Mingle M&M

The other half or more hasn't heard of CC

The scheduling of the M&G can be awkward with other events happening at the same time.

The crew may be a factor in limited hours of holding the M&G and location

The after events* may conflict with other planned activities.

*After Events - Slot Pull - Pub and Cabin Crawls - Gift Exchange

With limited exposure to what the M&G is all about it is a difficult sell - maybe 60-70 people at best on medium size ships.

And then of the 60-70 maybe lucky to get 40 attending

I have been at one where the crew outnumbered the guests but it turn out to be blessing in that more personal time was devoted to answering specific personal questions.

What folks don't realize is missing the opportunity to fine tune a shore excursion - meeting other folks with (CC) affinity interests even if only briefly.

Maybe talking about future cruises and discussion of past ones - what went wrong - right - highlights and low ones.

Discussion on problems and how they were resolved aye - ae - nay !

How to maximize the cruising experience this time - next time.

And lastly don't forget about meeting the crew - when you have a problem

knowing the person you need to go to by face and title.

When you attend a M&G and meet the crew - the crew knows you are someone that will share the good the bad and very ugly in the internet media !

The rules may be bent ever so slightly in your favor of resolution.

For the small time frame of about maybe a half hour it is time well spent to get the most out of the cruise !

I have been on 6 NCL cruises on different ships and in different countries. Everyone of them had a M & G and an active Roll Call leading to it.

I really think it has to do with people connecting on line with each other. We have had phenomenal luck arranging private shore tours with CCers and some we have cruised again with.

I like meeting the Officers early on so you have a face to put with a name if needed. It is also nice to see your new friends in bars and restaurants throughout during the cruise.

Lynda