Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Think about a serious emergency, and 6,000 passengers needed to get to their cabins to get their life jackets, then find their muster stations.

First. at least 25% probably could not even find their cabins. Think about the corridors, the chaos that would ensue.

Simple answer, with ships as large as Oasis/Allure/Anthem, the only rational thing to do in such an emergency is go right to the muster station.

Agreed. Just saying it was not a response to the Concordia disaster. Oasis-class was designed this way from the start with jackets at the muster stations for exactly the reasons you've laid out. It's kind of a moot point; but if there had been cause for lifeboats to be used I think they would not have even been able to launch them in such adverse weather conditions. Launching at the dock is a lot different than violently pitching seas and high wind.

Edited by LMaxwell

;) Thank you, Carol. Captain Claus Andersen is fantastic! So thankful that overall everyone is okay.

Another vote for Captain Claus. :) We have cruised with Captain Claus many times and had a similar experience in 2011 on Radiance when we were doing the Over The Top Cruise from Sydney to Perth Australia. This man knows what he is doing.......he would never put anyone in harms way.

So we turned around and are headed home. He's gonna try to balance between the storm we just went thru and the one that's behind us. Because they are too cheap to fly us all home. I am thankful for the refund and future credit but have to seriously question the decision to cruise back towards the storms.

This has been fun to read as I sit on my couch watching a windy snowstorm.

I would have been really scared but what I would have disliked the most is "starving" for a few hours. [emoji10][emoji46][emoji52][emoji19].

I'm always hungry at sea[emoji502][emoji1322][emoji485][emoji1322][emoji483][emoji482]️[emoji500][emoji493][emoji1322] and thirsty.

Question for those condemning the Captain and the decision to continue...

What do YOU think should have been done? Cancel the sailing? Re-route? To WHERE? Really just curious as to how YOU would have done it better.

For those onboard, I'm glad today looks to be shaping up to be a better day. Enjoy the rest of your cruise! :)

WOW! What would ever make you think anyone on this board knows anything about navigation. That doesn't excuse the captain's actions to get caught in this monster storm.

I think most of us on the ship right now have a similar view on this. It was scary and during the highest winds there were times you wondered what the outcome would be. But today you look back and realise that the captain did a fantastic job at getting us through what he described as his worst day at sea ever.

The ship has sustained some damage but most of it looks superficial and the crew are already clearing it up with temporary repairs where necessary. The gally crew and housekeeping guys have been great to get things back up and running as quickly as they have not forgetting they've had exactly the same experience we've had so full marks to them as well.

Whether the captain could have avoided this is irrelevant since it's now in the past and if he did anything wrong people with more knowledge and information than anyone on board the ship or on this board will do the analysis and reach the appropriate outcome. So rather than jump to conclusions I'm happy right now to applaud him and his team for getting us through the night as safely as they did.

As has been said there is some uncertainty as to what we will be doing for the rest of this week but whatever that is its unlikely to be as bad as last night so that is a positive in my book.

For those of you not on board the ship that have formulated negative opinions on the rights and wrongs of this situation remember you weren't here so clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Overall we're alive and well, life has pretty much returned to normal and we have a bit more that 5 days of our holiday left so we're going to make the most of that while we can.

glad youre well and thank you for the reason you are able to bring to bear after an ordeal while so many people no where near the situation can't.

Edited by mostlylurker

Sounds like this was completely avoidable....I wonder if the Captain is going to be replaced. I would seriously question his judgment on this one. Not trying to Monday morning quarterback it, he obviously thought he had some favorable conditions...but it will be interesting to see how Royal Caribbean responds. Hope everyone onboard is safe.

I've copyrighted ARM CHAIR CAPTAIN. Please send me 25 cents everytime you use it.

I am very happy with the decision the captain has made to turn us around. He handled yesterday great and I couldn't ask for more than that.

I plan to enjoy our couple (now free) sea days and rebook something on royal later this year. Leaving out of Florida though. :-)

I am very happy with the decision the captain has made to turn us around. He handled yesterday great and I couldn't ask for more than that.

I plan to enjoy our couple (now free) sea days and rebook something on royal later this year. Leaving out of Florida though. :-)

How are the fingers today? You are the poster that got their fingers slammed in a door last night? If I got that wrong, I apologize, just wondering if medical was able to check out those digits.:)

So we turned around and are headed home. He's gonna try to balance between the storm we just went thru and the one that's behind us. Because they are too cheap to fly us all home. I am thankful for the refund and future credit but have to seriously question the decision to cruise back towards the storms.

It's hard to imagine they are "too cheap" to fly you home when they just comped your cruise and 50% off the next one. They wouldn't deliberately put anyone in harm's way, they are making the best decision they can with the information they have available.

Wow! I'm totally speechless after reading this thread! This could be a novel!

For those onboard the ship.. I prayed hard for you last night and I'm sorry they are cutting your cruise short!

I am a diamond plus with Royal and what disappoints me the most is that they did not make a comment about this situation until AFTER the media got ahold of it! It seems to me that RCCL could have made a statement as soon as they knew the ship was going into the storm.. Some of you will say , they don't have time to report every storm but when you are headed into a storm with 6 thousand people onboard and 100 mph + winds, then you make the time! Don't let the passengers be the only ones reporting what is going on and decide to do something or make a statement out of desperation after the fact! You cannot out run the Internet ! And it's always better to offensive than defensive! And don't make lite of something that someone has a video and pictures of .. Btw.. There's a big reason why that ship is going back to Bayonne and not continuing on its journey.. Esp after everyone is saying damage is just cosmetic !

RCI is handling this exceptionally well!!!!! Sorry your vacation is not what everyone hoped it would be, glad to read that RCI is trying to make it up to you guys!

Safe travels home!

Still waiting anxiously to hear about the "two heart attacks" reported, hoping they were panic attacks...

Weather.com is not showing any stormy weather in/around FL/JAX. I live two hours north of JAX snd we have absolutely nothing on our radar.

And as an aside...Back in 2009 when Oasis made her TA from the shipyard, she encountered 60 ft seas and was a day or two late into FLL with damage. I believe some inaugural festivities had to be postponed...EM

I think most of us on the ship right now have a similar view on this. It was scary and during the highest winds there were times you wondered what the outcome would be. But today you look back and realise that the captain did a fantastic job at getting us through what he described as his worst day at sea ever.

The ship has sustained some damage but most of it looks superficial and the crew are already clearing it up with temporary repairs where necessary. The gally crew and housekeeping guys have been great to get things back up and running as quickly as they have not forgetting they've had exactly the same experience we've had so full marks to them as well.

Whether the captain could have avoided this is irrelevant since it's now in the past and if he did anything wrong people with more knowledge and information than anyone on board the ship or on this board will do the analysis and reach the appropriate outcome. So rather than jump to conclusions I'm happy right now to applaud him and his team for getting us through the night as safely as they did.

As has been said there is some uncertainty as to what we will be doing for the rest of this week but whatever that is its unlikely to be as bad as last night so that is a positive in my book.

For those of you not on board the ship that have formulated negative opinions on the rights and wrongs of this situation remember you weren't here so clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Overall we're alive and well, life has pretty much returned to normal and we have a bit more that 5 days of our holiday left so we're going to make the most of that while we can.

What the captain may have avoided is still very relevant. Being in the past does not change this.

Sadly for some, this wont be enough.

Exhibit A...

Where exactly would you suggest they "fly you all home" from? There is a storm that looks like it could be like what you just survived between you and Port Canaveral. There are not that many places big enough to port a ship the size of Anthem. Do you want them to lift everyone off by helicopter?