Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Again, hardly anything I would classify as actual damage. Chairs tipped over and tables slid over. 7 second video of nothing really. News would be wasting their time with that.

Nobody has a full damage report, and only after they do a full inspection will they know how long it will take. The drop ceiling can be temporarily fixed quickly. The galley can be cleaned up and the broken glass in the bars cleaned up. The chairs and tables can be righted, all pretty quickly.

Apparently, one of the satellite domes or some other equipment on the deck was blown into the pool. At least one of the balcony dividers was blown away. This suggests more damage topside and they won't know the full extent until weather permits an inspection. They can certainly sail without the balcony dividers or one missing satellite dish, but if there is a lot of damage, they may need more extensive repairs.

What's really unknown is the state of the stabilizers, azipods, bow thrusters, and other below the waterline equipment. They likely sustained much more stress than designed for, and they will need to send divers down to inspect them. While they seem operational at this point, that does not mean they did not sustain damage. It's just too early to tell.

Just because she is sea worthy doesn't mean there isn't damage that needs to be addressed. It will be interesting to see if the next sailing has to be cancelled.

I will have two heartbroken little boys if that is the case. I really pray that everyone gets off this sailing safely and the extra days in port will be enough for Anthem to be back on track for Saturday.

I've read several reports of people in balcony cabins and suites who loved Anthem.

That's why the ship has a 47% review rating and its brand new costing 1.4B.

That's also why the entire suite program is being turned on its head and on all the new ships its being completely redesigned including cabin layout and perks.

This is coming from a guy who gave it a positive review. They are losing the suite customer and they know it. Hence all the changes.

Just because she is sea worthy doesn't mean there isn't damage that needs to be addressed. It will be interesting to see if the next sailing has to be cancelled.

From the few pictures I've seen, I think it would be a stretch for the next sailing to go on as scheduled.

Just a thought I might share after reading responses to a certain poster here...

Reinforcement is the most powerful tool we have to impact behavior. For some folks, the reinforcement doesn't even need to be positive in nature. The fact that their pronouncements get attention of ANY kind will keep the pronouncements coming.

So, if I might suggest something - just don't respond. No matter how outrageous the bait is, don't bite. There will be continued attempts to gain attention for awhile, but eventually it won't be fun anymore.;)

Judy

I was actually going to take it a step farther and ask ADMIN if that poster could be remover from CC.

I clearly stated I respected her opinion but she either loves RCCL or did not pay what I did for her vacation. Or I will go one more and say maybe our expectations are not the same. Don't try to twist the facts of what was said.

Still changes nothing. Most of the people happy are people paying 900 for an inside cabin. Its hard to mess up at that price.

I agree. I also have paid top dollar for a large suite. I should have expectations that the itinerary will be maintained and the food offered better. (I HAVE SAILED OTHER CRUISES ON RC AND THE FOOD WAS NOT AS BAD AS ANTHEM) Again, I am entitled to my opinion.

Hope the loyalist (inside cabin paying 900 type guests) will always enjoy RC and have a Continued Happy Marriage. Also, Enjoy the food!

Captain interview posted in another thread. Very defensive. Someone is worried about their future with the company...

here is part 1

part 2

part 3

Doesn't strike me as too defensive. Maybe he read this thread with all these know-it-alls blaming him.

I highly doubt he is fearing for his job.

Your guess based on what? From the photos it looks surface - furniture, dishes, glass, doors, some ceiling material. Messy as hell but nothing that affected the engines or the seaworthiness. Can't imagine it would be out for that long.

They'll put a ton of folks on it to fix it up as quickly as possible. They don't want to cancel another cruise unless they absolutely have to.

Based on online reports and info from photos...I'm betting RCCL will ensure that the Ship's systems are up and fully functional. ..re at least one Radome was damaged..the logistics to acquire these specialized items must be considered. .

I will have two heartbroken little boys if that is the case. I really pray that everyone gets off this sailing safely and the extra days in port will be enough for Anthem to be back on track for Saturday.

I hope so too, but maybe just think about a Plan B just in case...?

I certainly hope that's the case for everyone's sake. It's hard to know what is fact and rumors. I hope the person at guest services had bad information and that any repairs can be done and completed in time for you to sail.

Doesn't strike me as too defensive. Maybe he read this thread with all these know-it-alls blaming him.

I highly doubt he is fearing for his job.

Same here. I watched all three clips wondering when he was going to get "very defensive." I certainly never saw it. :confused:

I agree. I also have paid top dollar for a large suite. I should have expectations that the itinerary will be maintained and the food offered better. (I HAVE SAILED OTHER CRUISES ON RC AND THE FOOD WAS NOT AS BAD AS ANTHEM) Again, I am entitled to my opinion.

Hope the loyalist (inside cabin paying 900 type guests) will always enjoy RC and have a Continued Happy Marriage. Also, Enjoy the food!

Here we go...again!

Same here. I watched all three clips wondering when he was going to get "very defensive." I certainly never saw it. :confused:

Yeah, he seemed very knowledgable and honest. Not sure what the issue is. And from what I've read from people on board (both on Cruise Critic, Instagram, and Twitter), most have nothing but praise for the crew of Anthem.

You would hope RCI will take care of everybody that has travel plans. I don't think they would just leave them hanging.

I think these people are adults and can make their own travel plans. They did manage to book a cruise on their own.

If it were me, and I didn't have a flight back until Saturday, I would hop on the train and spend the next three nights in NYC. Plenty of rooms on hotwire for $100 per night.

To all of you on board, thanks for your updates.

Unfortunately, our weather is crappy in South Florida so you would not have encountered warm weather here or in the Bahamas.

That's true, but as of now, there doesn't seem to be any damage that would require a dry dock. Of course that could change once Anthem is thoroughly inspected. The propellers and what not below the water line will probably be inspected by divers once she arrives back in Bayonne.

On a suite it can be quite a savings. Our last trip was just under 15K for 4

We always sail in suites, so yes the savings can be big at 50%. In fact we received a 20% discount one time when the mirror on the wall fell on our bed while we were sleeping in our OS. We were given a future discount of $2,200, for the two of us, for our next cruise.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that it will not be transferable. One can enjoy their next cruise with a 50% discount or one can decide not to use it. If they follow their normal protocol within a year it will expire.

I think these people are adults and can make their own travel plans. They did manage to book a cruise on their own.

If it were me, and I didn't have a flight back until Saturday, I would hop on the train and spend the next three nights in NYC. Plenty of rooms on hotwire for $100 per night.

To all of you on board, thanks for your updates.

Unfortunately, our weather is crappy in South Florida so you would not have encountered warm weather here or in the Bahamas.

It was COLD when we sailed into Ft. Lauderdale on Oasis a week ago. What is going on down there? However, 6 inched of snow just landed in my driveway. I think I prefer your crappy weather.