Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

shaun07 (the guy who posted the youtube clips), did you really take your original video down and then repost in three different minute and a half clips so you could get more views??? Ugh.

I don't believe that was the reason, since I couldn't access the first video and was able to watch the three segments. So, thank you for reposting this way.

I'm neither a meteorologist nor a ship's captain, so I do not have sufficient knowledge to know if we could reasonably have avoided the storm.

I was in the theater watching "We Will Rock You"'s matinee when they stopped the show, saying it was too dangerous for cast and crew. That was the right decision, clearly, as I could see some of the dancers struggling.

There is cruel irony in that during a show called "We Will Rick You", that Mother Nature said, "oh yeah, I can do you one better".... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether"dry dock" officially or not, I have a hard time imagining Anthem will be ready for next Saturday's cruise. There seemed to be a lot of damage. Things like broken glass balconies and railings that are safety issues. Do you think they could get all those parts to NJ this week and complete those repairs by Saturday? It seems unlikely. I'd start making alternate plans if I were booked on that ship.

Why would the NTSB have any say about whether a foreign ship in international waters, successfully sailed through a storm? Was there an accident? Was there loss of life? Even if they had jurisdiction, there wouldn't be an investigation.

Exactly. I was racking my brain wondering how NTSB would have any standing in this case. The ship is safe and sound and all passengers are fine. There's nothing to investigate.

While you are correct that the PVSA does not prohibit a cruise to nowhere (your third case), CBP has decided that a foreign flag ship using foreign crew on crew visas, violates the laws regarding work visas. This is why planned cruises to nowhere have been discontinued.

Good point. I somehow had missed this back when it was posted.

Thanks everyone. Obviously we are mostly glad that people are being cautious and safety is most important- but this was supposed to be our first big family vacation. My husband and I are both teachers, so our vacation time isn't very flexible- we were so thrilled to find this cruise that fit perfectly into our winter break.

If they cancel, we will have to wait a long time to book again.

Considering driving to Florida if things do end up getting cancelled... Not ideal but can't get a flight with this little time.

I feel for you and can imagine the feeling of wondering if you'll have to reschedule, especially with your two kids. Hope there is no structural damage and it can continue as scheduled.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Or some people are so brand loyal they cant see whats in front of them. I hope you enjoy your next cruise the same way people on the anthem enjoyed there. Then will see your attitude.

Was this directed at me? 'Cause I can tell you that I haven't had the opportunity to cruise RCI yet, so I can't be brand loyal, and I haven't had the chance to cruise in a couple years, because I spend so much time on the sea as it is. I don't have any dog in any fight with any cruise line. I have defended or castigated nearly every mainstream cruise line in my time on CC, as the facts dictate, not as my personal feelings might lead me.

I don't believe that was the reason, since I couldn't access the first video and was able to watch the three segments. So, thank you for reposting this way.

I watched the original one he posted before he took it down (I posted the link). You couldn't access it because he took it down, not because it was just one video. For whatever reason, he reloaded it as 3 separate segments, even though the original worked fine.

Made it to the end again. Here's a question I haven't seen in 1,131 posts.

How much of last night's navigating was done by the computer(s)? I mean even if it was all manual it's not like the Captain was 'lashed to the wheel" like in the movies. By no means am I downplaying the work on the bridge, I was just curious

WOW!!

Watching the evening news and the way

everything looks on the Anthem was scary.

This brings back memories "of "El Farro" Why take a

chance with 6 thousand people it's just crazy. This is

a new ship and it's equipped with the latest technology.

I feel sorry for all the passengers that could not enjoy their vacations.

Wishing everyone safe travel home.

We have been on Anthem just this past December and it

really made us sad to see what just happened to the ship.

Just so freaky.

I clearly stated I respected her opinion but she either loves RCCL or did not pay what I did for her vacation. Or I will go one more and say maybe our expectations are not the same. Don't try to twist the facts of what was said.

Still changes nothing. Most of the people happy are people paying 900 for an inside cabin. Its hard to mess up at that price.

money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money ME ME ME ME money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money

:mad:

I know everyone is going to blame the captain of ship or even RCCL. Sounds like the captain kept everyone informed and did everything to keep everyone safe. I live in SC and the low was suppose to be a weak low to start out with. Even the forecast all week said the low was going to be weak and increase as it went up the coast towards north.

I am glad everyone is safe and don't let this ruin your future cruising experiences.

I think these people are adults and can make their own travel plans. They did manage to book a cruise on their own.

If it were me, and I didn't have a flight back until Saturday, I would hop on the train and spend the next three nights in NYC. Plenty of rooms on hotwire for $100 per night.

To all of you on board, thanks for your updates.

Unfortunately, our weather is crappy in South Florida so you would not have encountered warm weather here or in the Bahamas.

Please don't wake the troll. :D

Too late.

Edited by Big_G

How much of last night's navigating was done by the computer(s)? I mean even if it was all manual it's not like the Captain was 'lashed to the wheel" like in the movies. By no means am I downplaying the work on the bridge, I was just curious

I think the Captain lashed himself to the North Star, similar to Lieutenant Dan's actions in Forest Gump. :D

Edited by A&L_Ont

Very, very little, if any. And in any event, the Captain has so little experience steering the ship at sea (as opposed to docking), that it is left to the professionals, the Able Seamen. "Heaving to" as the Anthem did is very tricky, as you have to have a "feel" or instinct for what a wave is going to do. The optimum is to have the ship pointed into the seas at a slight angle, which will minimize both pitch and roll. Doing this, however, causes the seas to try to "throw the bow" away from being pointed into the seas. So, the helmsman needs to anticipate the wave action and yet not overcompensate and cause the ship to veer the other direction. Typically, a ship like this would have one or two helmsmen who have the experience and the instinct to do this kind of seakeeping, and they would have been on the helm all through the storm.

The Captain's expertise would have been utilized in monitoring the weather and anticipating the wind and sea changes in direction, and advising the helmsman what "base" course to steer, giving the helmsman the freedom to meet the seas as he sees fit, while keeping roughly to the Captain's heading.

Edited by chengkp75