Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

This event has caused major damage, not some minor "cosmetic " level to be repaired in a week.. Cleanup ..replacement, restock and to test all new systems expect 2wks to a month...my guess of course

Your guess based on what? From the photos it looks surface - furniture, dishes, glass, doors, some ceiling material. Messy as hell but nothing that affected the engines or the seaworthiness. Can't imagine it would be out for that long.

They'll put a ton of folks on it to fix it up as quickly as possible. They don't want to cancel another cruise unless they absolutely have to.

Thank you for the correct terminology. In trying to apply nautical terms to what I was trying to describe, I was at best inaccurate.

That said, wind shear (or whatever the correct term is) can be an issue during listing and rolling because the changed angle can allow the winds to hit at different angles. Best example I can give of that, while not entirely comparable is a gazebo near here. It did quite well in many many storms, until a leg got damaged. That slight tilt allowed wind to get underneath where it hadn't before, and gazebo became kite.

Just visualizing it if the ship is listing at lets say 10 degrees, I have to think that a broadside windstream would have a different effect than one more upright, especially on the pool decks.

BTW, even though hull damage is completely unlikely, I thought regs required an inspection after an event like this (not involving divers, just a visual and maybe something involving radar or ultrasound?)

No, not unless someone noticed some paint flaking from a structural member that would indicate flexure. Unless there was something obviously bent, there wouldn't need to be a class inspection.

On the January 15 Anthem which resulted in our arriving home a day late - they allowed everyone to use the cabin phones to make outgoing calls for free to arrange air, contact relatives etc. If you need it, go to Guest Relations and be persistent - ask for a manager, and Good Luck.

Svillager

Edited by svillager

Onboard here and trying to figure out how to get home on Wednesday on our return to Bayonne! My flight is scheduled for Saturday, and guest services won't even allow me to make a free phone call to the insurance company to find out my options. I have family at home trying to figure it out for me so I don't have to deal with trying to get the $8/minute back from the phone call. You'd think they would have allowed people a phone call from guest services or something.

I was hoping to book a small mini-trip instead of going straight home to actually use my vacation time but it doesn't look like it will happen based on pricing! :(

On another note, the open bar for an hour was appreciated today, as is the free internet. Too bad it won't help me to get home though!

The ship is quite rocky again right now - not nearly like yesterday but lots of motion and rumbling! It won't surprise me if they cancel all of tonight's shows again...

We had shows cancelled 3 times on the 1/15 sailing. Have you tried going to Guest Services to ask if you could use a phone?

Sorry, but in addition to the 45-degree angle thing, there's no way you are experiencing 125mph winds.

That's category 3 hurricane winds, and there are currently no hurricanes in the Atlantic.

Obviously you can have hurricane force winds without a hurricane. A hurricane is a specific type of circular storm, but it's not the only type of storm that can produce those winds.

To be honest I don't know why the captain is being made out to be a hero. He put the ship in that place and did his job to get it out. That's all

For what it's worth, I will say with certainty that not only will the Captain not be fired, he will not even receive any censure for this. What La-La land am I coming from? 40 years as a professional mariner, and a few years in the cruise industry.

This event has caused major damage, not some minor "cosmetic " level to be repaired in a week.. Cleanup ..replacement, restock and to test all new systems expect 2wks to a month...my guess of course

Based on what?:confused:

What is the part that is major and has been damaged?:confused:

Are you on the ship? The ship's engineer, perhaps?

Or just another wannabe?

Questions, questions questions....:eek::rolleyes::D

JC

in the case of a real list, there's not getting to your Muster station that quick. If the first protocol is to keep passengers in their cabins as is demonstrated here, they should have the duplication of life jackets in the cabins AND at muster as the other lines I've cruised on do.

I can't get my head around this , it's too stupid for words . Just totally unsafe practice .

Regarding life jackets. Not a single life has ever been saved by a person wearing a life jacket inside their cabin in the entire history of seagoing voyages. Not a singe one! The only place where a life jacket will save your life, is if you are in the water. Wearing a life jacket in your cabin will not in any way help you. It will only hinder your movement.

If your cabin is already under water, wearing a life jacket will merely pin you against the ceiling making it impossible for you to swim out.

The only case where a life jacket in the cabin might help is if you are abandoning ship via your balcony. This is not a good idea, and even if you did it's best not to wear your life jacket when you jump into the water. On impact, the vest will ride up into your chin at high speed knocking you unconscious like a blow to the jaw from a boxer.

If you have to abandon ship, go to your muster station, put your life jacket on there, and get in the lifeboat when they tell you too. Life jackets in the cabin are there only because of historical reasons. There is no logical reason for them to be there.

This Ship is overrated and managed poorly! Last week, RC came back to port (Bayonne) one day late and cut short our cruise to "WESTERN CARIBBEAN" by one day. This was acceptable and understandable. BUT RC changed a lengthy (milage wise cruise) with an EASTERN CARIBBEAN (once around the block) and literally drifted between ports because they were so close together! They saved a ton of money on fuel mileage! I can understand the previous cruise hitting bad weather, but our scheduled cruise (WESTERN CARIBBEAN) was for fair weather. They made a decision to change and that's that! They get your money and have you over a barrel. I will comment on a another forum about the very bad food and service. (Food almost inedible) GOOD NEWS was that we managed to lose a few pounds on this cruise!

NEVER AGAIN ROYAL CARIBBEAN!! NEVER AGAIN ANTHEM!! Sorry, maybe placing this ship home port in Bayonne was a big mistake.

Duffy111

You didn't listen to a single word of explanation on board. They explained again and again and again why we went to the ports that we did, and not the original itinerary.

Be glad that you were kept safe and warm.

:mad:

What if you can't get to your cabin? Same thing. There are more lifejackets than passengers, typically 150%.

No, not unless someone noticed some paint flaking from a structural member that would indicate flexure. Unless there was something obviously bent, there wouldn't need to be a class inspection.

Thank you for bringing your knowledge and facts to the discussion.

However, many of the posts remind me of the movie A Few Good Men. Just picture Jack Nicholson' s character yelling "truth? You can't handle the truth." Readers might want to substitute the word fact for truth...

There is much yet unknown about the how's, why's and what's next. I look forward to hearing the facts.

There is another thread on here that has lots more information. I assume you are new to cruise critic and assume you are using a phone to read and post. Please go to this link for more info. Maybe it will help

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312327

Please stop with the hoax messages about "another thread" with a link back to the beginning of this thread.

You didn't listen to a single word of explanation on board. They explained again and again and again why we went to the ports that we did, and not the original itinerary.

Typical for the complainers. Lets only hear what we want, so that we can complain on every forum and review site, and maybe even demand some compensation!

Sorry, these types or threads drive me up a wall.

What what I understand the Gimble broke loose and fell I don't know how much damage to that part of the navigation system was done

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only parts of the navigation system out in the open are the radar and radio antennas. From what I've heard, based on reports here from those onboard, it sounds like either a sat TV or sat Internet "golf ball" came down. There's usually a couple of those, so they have back up.

What what I understand the Gimble broke loose and fell I don't know how much damage to that part of the navigation system was done

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are redundancies to the navigation system, both on and off the bridge. Even if there was damage to a gimble (similar to the side attachment on a gyroscope) it would not prevent accurate navigation.

They really come out of woodwork when something like this happens. I wouldn't waste the wear and tear on my keyboard for a Never Againer. They're not worth it. OK, well maybe just for a 'don't let the gangway hit you in the...' reply. :D

Asked them why there is no info on there website about Anthem of the seas. No info about when there returning or status or condition of the ship. They replied that there is PR department is taking care of that. So therefore they don't want to put it on there website, due to worried about PR. All about the bottom line...

Ordinarily, in a corporation, it is the job of the public relations department to come up with press releases regarding such a communication. In some companies the department is called "communications," which is just another word for public relations. Any press release also requires approval from top management, which takes time.

In any event, I would agree it would be helpful for some helpful information to be posted on the website, especially for those concerned about the next scheduled cruise on the Anthem. I would imagine the damages would have to be assessed before they could commit to whether the next cruise leaves on time. As far as the bottom line, I would have been quite happy with a full refund and 50% off my next cruise.

Edited by emileg