Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

I asked guest services if we could stay onboard once we reach port on wedneday and she said "no because the ship is going to dry dock ". Thats all she knew.

while this is not confirmed I would suggest checking with TA's . Just thought people would want to know. My guess is that it will just dock at the pier for a few days and fix any damages.

Edited by shaun07

For what it's worth, I will say with certainty that not only will the Captain not be fired, he will not even receive any censure for this. What La-La land am I coming from? 40 years as a professional mariner, and a few years in the cruise industry.

'chengkp75' Keep them squared away! These arm chair landlubber quarterbacks ... make me cringe. They honestly think that the Captain has any desire to put any passenger, ship, etc. at risk. Really? [palm to forehead] And, it is not even worth attempting to have a meteorological discussion.

Edited by GEARADRIFT

Where did you hear that the 1/15 customers were pissed? I was on that cruise, and everyone I talked to had a great time with no complaints. Can't wait to be back on her in March.

General con census based on who I spoke to and reviews. How could you not be? We had the Same rough waters Friday night. Going back was not a picnic either. Extended a day with nothing to do. Deck and big gimmick attractions closed 4.5 out of 11 days. I respect your opinion Gaylemh but you are either blinded by the fact that you are a Royal CCL lover or you did not pay what others did for a vacation. Charge me 15K and I want a lot more then what i was given. I was on the Majesty of the Seas in 1992 as a kid on the first Sailing. Cruising is not what it used to be not even close. Nickle and dimed to death and unless you plan to pay food quality has fallen through the floor. I love the big ships and what its all about for my kids but raise the standards its fallen so far. Maybe i would feel different with only a few grand invested on an inside or Balcony stateroom. But as a Grand Suite guest they dont even come close to how you are treated as a Heaven guest on NCL. "Hence why RCCL is mimicking the program NCL has" They get one more shot I am going on the Harmony in January. If they don't deliver bye bye RCCL.

Going back would not be a violation of the PSA. They are going back now and that won't be a violation.

They could have delayed the cruise a day. Or gone back if they had left port and sailed again. They delayed a day a few weeks ago because of the big snowstorm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is moving to fast to stay caught up, so I am violating the cardinal rule and posting without reading the next 145 posts. I was only gone an hour, jeez.

Anyway, I would think the PSA won't apply, but how about the cruise to nowhere?? If this has been beat to death, I am sorry.

Just a thought I might share after reading responses to a certain poster here...

Reinforcement is the most powerful tool we have to impact behavior. For some folks, the reinforcement doesn't even need to be positive in nature. The fact that their pronouncements get attention of ANY kind will keep the pronouncements coming.

So, if I might suggest something - just don't respond. No matter how outrageous the bait is, don't bite. There will be continued attempts to gain attention for awhile, but eventually it won't be fun anymore.;)

Judy

Good advice I have also blocked that person's posts from my computer

In any event, I would agree it would be helpful for some helpful information to be posted on the website, especially for those concerned about the next scheduled cruise on the Anthem.

Thats my concern..we are scheduled for the next Anthem cruise on 2/13...i assume that today they were concerned with the safety and considerations of the current cruise - i would assume by tomorrow we would get some more info.

(Hoping the trip back to Bayonne is to cut losses on this cruise, since it was already compromised, and get 100% ready for next cruise...so that they dont have to affect TWO cruises..)

General con census based on who I spoke to and reviews. How could you not be? We had the Same rough waters Friday night. Going back was not a picnic either. Extended a day with nothing to do. Deck and big gimmick attractions closed 4.5 out of 11 days. I respect your opinion Gaylemh but you are either blinded by the fact that you are a Royal CCL lover or you did not pay what others did for a vacation. Charge me 15K and I want a lot more then what i was given. I was on the Majesty of the Seas in 1992 as a kid on the first Sailing. Cruising is not what it used to be not even close. Nickle and dimed to death and unless you plan to pay food quality has fallen through the floor. I love the big ships and what its all about for my kids but raise the standards its fallen so far. Maybe i would feel different with only a few grand invested on an inside or Balcony stateroom. But as a Grand Suite guest they dont even come close to how you are treated as a Heaven guest on NCL. "Hence why RCCL is mimicking the program NCL has" They get one more shot I am going on the Harmony in January. If they don't deliver bye bye RCCL.

So because Gaylemh doesn't agree, she's a Royal Caribbean cheerleader? C'mon...

This thread is moving to fast to stay caught up, so I am violating the cardinal rule and posting without reading the next 145 posts. I was only gone an hour, jeez.

Anyway, I would think the PSA won't apply, but how about the cruise to nowhere?? If this has been beat to death, I am sorry.

We've already moved on to food quality and itinerary changes on a previous sailing. Stay tuned. ;)

So because Gaylemh doesn't agree, she's a Royal Caribbean cheerleader? C'mon...

I clearly stated I respected her opinion but she either loves RCCL or did not pay what I did for her vacation. Or I will go one more and say maybe our expectations are not the same. Don't try to twist the facts of what was said.

Still changes nothing. Most of the people happy are people paying 900 for an inside cabin. Its hard to mess up at that price.

Do not know if factual or not but on another thread someone is reporting that passengers will be disembarking upon return to Bayonne on Wednesday morning.

Guest services told the guest that Anthem would be going to dry dock for repairs. Hopefully RCI will put out a release soon if that's true because if so, the next sailing is likely not going to happen.

But we made it. Considering what could have been, losing three nights and three ports seems like a very good deal.

RCI is being very generous (blame the free happy hour for Typoss). Elsewhere people have posted that we will get full refunds and half off a future cruise, plus free wifi. those who traveled to get to Bayonne or those who had to make arrangements to cover child/elder care may not feel adequately compensated, but I don't know how they could be.

There are about 500 children on this cruise, and I would guess that many of them planned to go to Disneyworld. I'd hate to be a parent in that situation, but for us adults, we got a mini vacation with free room, food, entertainment. Could have lived without the excitement of the storm, but we'll have stories to tell.

I hope they don't refund the gratuities as the crew really earned them. They worked so hard and continued to be pleasant to the passengers when they were probably as scared as we were.

Well said The crew on all ships we sail go above and beyond

Edited by windsor26

I clearly stated I respected her opinion but she either loves RCCL or did not pay what I did for her vacation. Or I will go one more and say maybe our expectations are not the same. Don't try to twist the facts of what was said.

Still changes nothing. Most of the people happy are people paying 900 for an inside cabin. Its hard to mess up at that price.

I've read several reports of people in balcony cabins and suites who loved Anthem.

The PVSA does not prohibit:

• foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port, provided the ship visits any foreign port
  • foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a distant foreign port (something like Aruba or Kiribati), and then continuing to a second U.S. port
  • foreign-flagged ships returning to their departure point without stopping

You're complaining about your rough water and the weather? On NCL in Oct I cruised thru Hurricane Joaquin. All the fancy stuff on top as you call it was closed most of the time at sea. The pools were drained, including the spa pool, and i paid for the week of spa access. People were sick, there were sick bags by the elevators etc. We left 6 hours late from NYC, then a sick passenger had us back track so a helicopter could reach them, so we missed a few hours of time in Bermuda, The outside walkway was closed 1/3 of the time. NCL didn't offer us any OBC or any compensation at all. We just made the best of it and realized none of that was NCL's fault. So hope you don't plan on jumping ship as it were, expecting something different.

At least RCCL gave you OBC!

Edited by Tura Lura

Please stop with the hoax messages about "another thread" with a link back to the beginning of this thread.

The threads were merged...that's why it comes back to this thread now.

The only case where a life jacket in the cabin might help is if you are abandoning ship via your balcony.

Not necessarily. This is a hypothetical, but a very real hypothetical. Imagine a major fire that blocks access to the lifeboat deck and the only route of evac is up, or a severe list that negates one side of the lifeboat deck (or both). I know in those circumstances, it would be a good thing for people to leave their rooms with life jackets in hand.

For that it's worth, I have never been a supporter of RCI removing life jackets from the rooms....ironically on their largest ships with the most people. I guess I've just seen too much tragedy at sea in my USCG career.

Edited by Aquahound

Yup... As I just mentioned, zero assistance with hotels or flight arrangements! I flew into EWR for the cruise and stayed overnight in a hotel, and was scheduled to fly home on Saturday! They won't even let me make a telephone call for free to my insurance company to figure out flight arrangements...

Others have advised USE THE INTERNET IT IS FREE

Asked them why there is no info on there website about Anthem of the seas. No info about when there returning or status or condition of the ship. They replied that there is PR department is taking care of that. So therefore they don't want to put it on there website, due to worried about PR. All about the bottom line.

This was horrible incident that could have been avoided, with all the technology the captain messed up. Did he do it on purpose, of course not. But he made a mistake. He judged wrong. If it was a hurricane they would have never gone near it. The captain made a mistake. He is responsible.

Also RCL should have a emergency response line to be able to give friends and family update about cruise ships. Esp if there trouble. They should be more forth coming with info, I got more info from social media. Even this morning the rep from RCL said they just hit some rough water. Cruises need to be more regulated, and be responsible for there actions. Its all fun until its not. That's my take.

PS if royal was fined for this, it would never happen again.

Wow everyone - we have a know-it-all on the boards. You know the captain made a mistake. You know he's responsible. You know he judged wrong. You don't know anything. Why not wait until the facts emerge before judging the captain and the line guilty. Geesh - some people!

For what it's worth, I will say with certainty that not only will the Captain not be fired, he will not even receive any censure for this. What La-La land am I coming from? 40 years as a professional mariner, and a few years in the cruise industry.

Indeed, cheng. I would also not be surprised if he receives kudos and congratulations from RCI management for his actions under such suddenly occurring and extreme conditions.

Of course, I come from a somewhat similar la-la land as you. :D

But we made it. Considering what could have been, losing three nights and three ports seems like a very good deal.

RCI is being very generous (blame the free happy hour for Typoss). Elsewhere people have posted that we will get full refunds and half off a future cruise, plus free wifi. those who traveled to get to Bayonne or those who had to make arrangements to cover child/elder care may not feel adequately compensated, but I don't know how they could be.

There are about 500 children on this cruise, and I would guess that many of them planned to go to Disneyworld. I'd hate to be a parent in that situation, but for us adults, we got a mini vacation with free room, food, entertainment. Could have lived without the excitement of the storm, but we'll have stories to tell.

I hope they don't refund the gratuities as the crew really earned them. They worked so hard and continued to be pleasant to the passengers when they were probably as scared as we were.

Well said The crew on all ships we sail go above and beyond

That is the spirit! Great post. Thank You for sharing.