Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Some people should spend more time practicing listening or maybe their hearing aid batteries need changing. The ship was described as listing 45 degrees. Likely it was reported as 4 or 5 degrees. The second thing is wind speed. Big difference between MPH or. KPH. Been on many cruises and it is amazing how the facts get confused. Glad everyone is safe. They all will have priceless stories to tell.

So sorry that you went through that and have to come home early. On the other hand, thanks so much for coming over to WashPost and throwing some truthiness (and support) around. Appreciate the candor, since everyone who doesn't know better is convinced that half of you are dead (or should be).

Okay. At this point, actual news is pretty much not going to be a thing. I will, of course, post anything of substance that is reliably reported by a member of Senior Staff. But, I am at this point tired of reading all the blamers so will probably absent myself from this thread in a general sort of way. I leave you with:

The Captain was always honest as to the situation.

Knowing something about storms, I completely believe a minor storm took a turn for the worst.

The Captain and Crew have done a brilliant job ok keeping life and ship safe given an incredibly hideous situation NOT OF THEIR MAKING. They continue to do all they can to keep us safe and comfortable.

They have rescheduled all the cancelled shows from yesterday.

They opened all the bars for free booze from 1 til 2 this afternoon.

I am, for the most part, also very proud of the passengers on this cruise.

Sorry, I understand now why you were out of your cabin, but why in the world would you leave an 89 year old aunt with a walker alone in her cabin in a storm like this? I sail solo, and I'm much younger than 89, and I wouldn't want to be alone. When I was on the Jan 15th cruise, and thought we might be sailing through a blizzard, everyone that I met that was sailing solo, made plans to buddy up so we wouldn't be alone. Luckily we didn't need to.

She can also just go to Guest Services and ask for an extra key to give to you.

I just wanted to point out that when the Captain orders everyone to their cabin, it is very important that you comply and go to YOUR cabin. The reason is that it is very important that the crew be able to account for all passengers. Passengers that do not comply with this order and go to other passenger cabins make it very difficult for the crew to do their job and may pose a safety risk for others.

So I have a stupid question. Now keep in mind - I haven't been on a cruise yet. Going in April for the first time.

But my question is if the passengers are to stay in their rooms - how are they eating?

Prayers everyone is okay!!

Obviously they aren't unless they find food in the mini refrig and/or have snacks they have stashed in their room. You won't be in your room forever but the damage to the kitchen/eating facilities probably won't be able to provide food for thousands of passengers anytime soon. Probably will have everyone disembark at the nearest port

I have checked a couple of locator web sites one has Anthem in Port Canaveral and others have her at sea. So is she heading back to home port or is she in Canaveral?. I am glad that most on board are safe with only a few minor injuries reported so far and that Anthem is not severely damaged. 100% refund to all on board and a 50% discount on a future cruise. RCCL is trying anyway to make things better for those passengers. In case anyone tries to place blame on RCCL or the captain, Back in 2004 in Florida Hurricane Charlie went from a Category 1 storm to a category 4 storm in a matter of hours. Even the best forecasters can miss the mark and that is what happened this time. All we can do is be thankful that nothing worse than this happened.

I was on an Alaska cruise with 7 days of 50 ft. seas & hurricane force winds. We survived. 25% refund and 50% FCC, no free WiFi. Things happen. What struck me reading this thread was the variety of stories about what was happening and the many "experts" who had all the answers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would go on record to join you in this prediction. This captain's career, at least with RCCL, is all but over at this juncture. They will most likely cosmeticize it as some sort of retirement.

Anyone thinks Michael Bayley will remotely contemplate overlooking this is living in some fantasy lala land.

Yeah, maybe they'll hire you as the replacement. You seem to know more than the captain, and the officials in Miami. :rolleyes:

Previous posts blaming the Captain disgust me. Sounds like he did the best he could with a ship that was not built to handle conditions such as this. A floating apartment building with all those balconies is going to take a beating more than older ships that provide more protection from the outside elements. Kudos to the Captain.

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk

Edited by coaster

OK< IF YOU HAVE ENJOYED THE "FOOD" ON ANTHEM......... SO BE IT! I am entitled to my opinion and I know good food. Royal Caribbean needs

CHEF RAMSEY to survey and comment and improve on ANTHEM OF THE SEAS FOOD QUALITY. I was tired of eating sub par food.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion and so am I.

Yes, you are definitely 'entitled' and very convincing. And you made the exact right decision to never cruise Royal Caribbean again. Good for you!

Judy

OK< IF YOU HAVE ENJOYED THE "FOOD" ON ANTHEM......... SO BE IT! I am entitled to my opinion and I know good food. Royal Caribbean needs

CHEF RAMSEY to survey and comment and imporve on ANTHEM OF THE SEAS FOOD QUALITY. I was tired of eating sub par food.

Just thought I'd let you know that your caps lock keeps getting stuck. You ought to look into that.

Asked them why there is no info on there website about Anthem of the seas. No info about when there returning or status or condition of the ship. They replied that there is PR department is taking care of that. So therefore they don't want to put it on there website, due to worried about PR. All about the bottom line.

This was horrible incident that could have been avoided, with all the technology the captain messed up. Did he do it on purpose, of course not. But he made a mistake. He judged wrong. If it was a hurricane they would have never gone near it. The captain made a mistake. He is responsible.

Also RCL should have a emergency response line to be able to give friends and family update about cruise ships. Esp if there trouble. They should be more forth coming with info, I got more info from social media. Even this morning the rep from RCL said they just hit some rough water. Cruises need to be more regulated, and be responsible for there actions. Its all fun until its not. That's my take.

PS if royal was fined for this, it would never happen again.

All these sailings are fully booked 4000+ a voyage. Northeast people are tired of flying to Florida adding 2K to the price for a family of 4 to fly Jet blue. These sailings are not going anywhere anytime soon. However its the luck of the draw in these months with weather and pricing reflects that. The Anthem has had one string of bad luck. 1/15 Customers Pissed. 1/26 customers pissed and now National attention on 2/6 sailing and sailing wiped out. The Anthem has had a massive financial hit. Wonder if RCCL ponies up and pays the crew this time to. Very interesting.

No way they let you stay on board. The boat is going to get round the clock referb from wed until next sailing and fully sanitized and cleaned. Thats even if they can pull it off that fast. Next cruise may also be in jeopardy and cut short.

Where did you hear that the 1/15 customers were pissed? I was on that cruise, and everyone I talked to had a great time with no complaints. Can't wait to be back on her in March.

CHEF RAMSEY to survey and comment and imporve on ANTHEM OF THE SEAS FOOD QUALITY. I was tired of eating sub par food.

I agree. I haven't sailed rccl in over 2 years because of the food. Celebrity is much better.

And somehow, a thread about Anthem being in a storm turns into a food quality discussion.

Typical Cruise Critic.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Just my opinion and BIG guess.....getting into NJ on Wednesday.

Options:

Stay out to sea until Friday or Saturday

Email all NEW pax not to arrive at port until after 4pm

Why have all of these pax leave the ship on Wednesday? They have plenty of time to make most repairs.....in the meantime....everyone has food and board. I don't understand why everyone is assuming that the pax are being led off the ship on Wednesday.

Does anyone understand what I am trying to say? All or most damages are cosmetic.....correct?

This event has caused major damage, not some minor "cosmetic " level to be repaired in a week.. Cleanup ..replacement, restock and to test all new systems expect 2wks to a month...my guess of course

What????? Nobody has life vests in their cabins? They are locked up in closets? Isn't that against maritime rules? When the dust (or waves) settle, I think there's going to have to be a lot of explaining about that!

No, there's no maritime rule about having lifejackets in the cabin, just that they are available. And they aren't "locked" anywhere. They are in cabinets at the muster station with plastic zip ties to show crew if anyone has been fooling with them, but you can rip it off easily.