Torn Meniscus

DH has been diagnosed with a torn meniscus and we sail in less than 2 weeks. Too late to rent a scooter? Cost? Will a scooter fit in all rooms -- Vision class? I plan on calling Royal tomorrow but thought I would ask here as well. Thanks. Katherine

It is not to late to have the scooter in your cabin. http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

Edited by riclop

I've had 3 surgeries for Torn Meniscus. Never needed a wheelchair of scooter for transportation to get around. If anything I would talk to your Doctor and ask about pain relief with a cortisone injection. THye have worked for me to give me relief before resulting to surgery.

After surgery they want you up an on your feet as soon as you can move around.

Best of luck on getting it taken care of and enjoy your cruise!

Knee pain? I just drink more Rum!

JoeRum

Good luck with the scooter. I've had two torn meniscus and both have required surgery, although one went for a year before it finally gave out and I couldn't walk. I agree with trying a cortisone shot - it just might help enough to get you through the cruise.

Edited by mek

Ive had three knee surgeries as well and the injection will at least get him to enjoy a cruise, you won't need a scooter or wheelchair, ask if they can put a shot in front of the knee and the back of the knee, I actually had this done about a month ago.

While I personally am a get on the ship as soon as possible person, you might want to delay coming to the port an hour or two and boarding at less crowded time. You might find it easier getting on board.

I've had 3 surgeries for Torn Meniscus. Never needed a wheelchair of scooter for transportation to get around. If anything I would talk to your Doctor and ask about pain relief with a cortisone injection. THye have worked for me to give me relief before resulting to surgery.

After surgery they want you up an on your feet as soon as you can move around.

Best of luck on getting it taken care of and enjoy your cruise!

Knee pain? I just drink more Rum!

JoeRum

Wife has a torn meniscus and they do not want to fix it. She has/had some real pain but never needed scooter, and we traveled on and on and on but every tear and everyone is different.

Not too late for a scooter or wheelchair rental however without an accessible cabin it may not fit through the door. Due to safety concerns scooters cannot be felt in the hall.

Oh I beg to differ-- in fact I think that is why they don't let you park them in the hall-- IT CAN and will (with a little ocean motion)be FELT!!!!

Sorry--I just could not resist

Edited by Hotel CA

Hi Lady Hudson - sorry to hear about DH. This just happened to me. I called RCI and they offered to add a special needs flag on my boarding pass which allows DH a service call Pier Assistance. When you get to the port, see if you can drop your luggage from the car, before you park. You can then move as close as possible to the terminal entrance to let your DH out while you park the car. He should tell the first RCI employee he sees that you've arranged for Pier Assistance. Once you show up from parking the car they will get you and your DH on the ship by wheelchair.

This designation does not cover shore excursions. It only covers getting DH on and off the ship at each port. If you need additional assistance you will need to get a wheelchair from one of the previously mentioned website.

I can tell you from very recent experience that RCI was excellent at helping me have a great cruise in spite of hurting my knee a month before the cruise. Call them...;)

I had a torn meniscus before our Alaskan cruise. I went anyway and did everything I wanted to do, just not pushing it. I spent more time in the cabin than on any other cruise but with RX pain relievers I made it and 5 extra days out in Oregon! I am overweight and late 50's to give you a point of reference.

A scooter WILL NOT fit in a regular cabin. The ship will have a wheelchair you should be able to borrow if you need it.

I had been walking around on mine for 5 months before it was diagnosed so it was quite severe by the time we went. I had surgery as soon as we got back. It was not the best trip physically but it was one of our best trips ever!

Yes, call RCCL in advance to get assistance on and off the ship

Maybe a walker with a seat on it... DH can sit when he gets tired.. even scoot around a little...

Not to expensive either. Go to Walmarts or even craigslist in your town..

You still want to exercise it a little for mobility so it doesn't get locked..(ask MD what good exercise will help and you can do on the ship)

bring advil liquid gel caps (best and quick for inflammation) and something for pain from his MD... get a ice bag to ice it when needed too.

Those freezer bags works great.

I have severe Fibromyalgia for the last 11 years and both knees have Meniscus tears, one is bone on bone and has been for about 5 years. Because of the Fibro all pain is intensified and so I have put off doing surgery. When we cruise or fly we always take a regular wheelchair with us for getting around in airports and cruise terminals but also just in case the knee goes. It did on our New England Fall Cruise a few years ago and had to use a wheelchair to get back to the ship and then used mine for the next couple of days onboard. I kept it elevated and iced whenever I could and by 2 days later when we got to Boston I was able to walk a large part of the Freedom Trail. I walk with a cane whenever I go anywhere outside the house and whenever I go to Walmart or Target I use a scooter if the knee is bothering me.

Good Luck, at least get a cane in case the knee buckles or locks, take a couple of ice packs and request extra pillows to elevate the knee.

DH has been diagnosed with a torn meniscus and we sail in less than 2 weeks. Too late to rent a scooter? Cost? Will a scooter fit in all rooms -- Vision class? I plan on calling Royal tomorrow but thought I would ask here as well. Thanks. Katherine

I bought one on Amazon for around $185.00

good luck!

We fly from Atlanta, huge airport. We request wheelchair. They take me thru security and to gate. My husband has requested wheelchair at Port to get on ship. Yes I am disabled but if you have a medical issue, you can request this.

Edited by tylerscooter

A scooter can fit into a regular cabin if the bed is by the balcony (or away from the door in inside cabins) but it will be very tight. You will need to pull the scooter to the area in front of the couch. If the bed is by the door, it won't fit.

An accessible cabin would be much. much better.

Do you really need a scooter? I know it's painful but I think people give in to the pain too quickly, both in terms of requiring mobility aids and in electing to choose surgery. That's not just my opinion but that of an orthopaedic professor who I know.

I've just spent 18 months recovering from a tear and suffered through an Asian cruise with it. It was painful, but bearable and nothing beats the feeling of an end-of-day hot whirlpool to ease the pain. I really didn't notice that much difference in pain between when I was walking and when I was resting my knee.

Everyone is different I know, but in the end I only noticed an improvement in my condition when I ignored the pain and worked on strengthening my knee.

Thanks for all the responses. DH has not had surgery and will not in the days before trip. Just looking for options to make the trip easier for him. Thanks again. Katherine

Unless your husband already had some underlying mobility issues, I wouldn't think a torn meniscus would be much of an issue. Might keep him from playing basketball or doing a Flow Rider, but shouldn't require a scooter to get around the ship.

Edited by Paul65