Private personal tipping

Mr. Gumphere

We have had our stewards and waitstaff confirm that their names and our names and cabin numbers were on tip envelopes we gave them. I have seen several of them add the information if we had forgotten. Why would they care if they didn't need to turn in the tips?

On one cruise our assistant waiter was much better than our waiter. We told him we had given him more but he said that the tips for the waiter and junior waiter would be shared. If they didn't need to turn in tips, who would know?

I have been told several times by supervisors that tips given to staff in Sabatini's for breakfast are pooled among the staff so they must need to be turned in. I have also been told by a supervisor that the same is true for the attendants in the Sanctuary.

Tips to staff in the auto tip pool must be handed in and will only be returned if that cabin has not taken off the auto tip. Maybe there has been a recent change in policy but that is what it has been. Maybe we should ask Princess to confirm their current tip policy.

Thank you for your inputs. I'm happy to hear that this is still possible. I was not aware that the cash tips were pooled, interesting.

Do you really think they turn in the cash? Do your tipping as you see fit, it's your choice to tip those that serve you the amount you see fit. The amounts that go to cabin stewart are $3.50 PP PD and Waiters get $3.50 PP PD and assistant waiters get $2 - $2.50 PP PD. The rest goes to Princess for incentive programs, parties, and the seamans retirement fund and what they call behind the scenes personal.

Also, if you have Anytime Dining, how will you manage the tips for the wait staff? Would you bring money each night to tip the staff?

If they want to do anytime they could leave a tip at the table after the meal. It's their choice how to spend their money on tips.

I got off Crown Princess today and reduced my daily tips to $12.50 per day because that's what the amount was when I booked. Last month I was on NCL and removed the tips altogether because I thought they were too high at $15.95 PP PD. I tipped at breakfast , lunch and the cabin stewart. I bought the specialty dinner every night which has the tip included, another reason not to leave the auto gratuity intact because I don't think they should ask me to double tip for the same meal.

Edited by cruzsnooze

There are lots of people behind the scenes that share in the tip pool. If you remove the auto gratuities and tip in cash there is no way you will tip everyone who should receive something. If you like the feeling of giving them cash then feel free to give EXTRA in cash to whoever has gone above and beyond. We probably gave out an extra $500 on our last cruise between the waiters and Maitre'D in breakfast at Sabatini's, our waiter and Maitre'D in Crown Grill and our room steward and regular dining room wait staff and to our favorite bartenders.

As long as tipping is discretionary, I will always remove the auto tip and let the holier-than-though crowd make up for my "shortcoming".

Just look at some of the bull posted, on here you all seem so generous, who knows what you ACTUALLY do in-person?!?!?!

I'm for eliminating the auto-gratuity all together. Instead, raise fares $20 a day and use that for employee compensation and gratuities. Yes, $20, which is above the current daily amount. Use the difference for incentives related to employee service and productivity.

I'm for eliminating the auto-gratuity all together. Instead, raise fares $20 a day and use that for employee compensation and gratuities. Yes, $20, which is above the current daily amount. Use the difference for incentives related to employee service and productivity.

I think guest services will raise your auto-gratuity rates to any amount you wish.

I think guest services will raise your auto-gratuity rates to any amount you wish.

That's not what I am stating.

I am for completely eliminating the whole concept of auto-gratuity. Just bake it into the cruise fares by raising all fares $20 per day across the board.

Then all passengers, can if they choose, leave select additional gratuities for what they consider great service or if a staff member goes "above and beyond."

This way there will be nothing to turn off or have credited off your stateroom account. No one will feel they are paying too much for gratuities because they just won't see them.

Speaking for myself -- and I'd think many frequent passengers would agree -- Princess DOES deliver good service overall.

We can expect it. So the staff should expect to be compensated for providing it.

Many others have speculated that the reason some remove auto-gratuities is because they are too cheap or don't feel everyone who shares in them deserve them.

So let Princess decide. If the higher fares are too much for some to pay, let them stay home.

They have eliminated it from Princess and P&O in Australia and included it in the fare and the service Levels have gone down a lot .

That's not what I am stating.

I am for completely eliminating the whole concept of auto-gratuity. Just bake it into the cruise fares by raising all fares $20 per day across the board.

Then all passengers, can if they choose, leave select additional gratuities for what they consider great service or if a staff member goes "above and beyond."

This way there will be nothing to turn off or have credited off your stateroom account. No one will feel they are paying too much for gratuities because they just won't see them.

Speaking for myself -- and I'd think many frequent passengers would agree -- Princess DOES deliver good service overall.

We can expect it. So the staff should expect to be compensated for providing it.

Many others have speculated that the reason some remove auto-gratuities is because they are too cheap or don't feel everyone who shares in them deserve them.

So let Princess decide. If the higher fares are too much for some to pay, let them stay home.

I understand what you're saying and you're probably right that many do remove the auto-gratuities because they are trying to reduce the cost of the cruise. All the other reasons they give are just excuses. They figure they can skip the auto-gratuities and blame the effects on the crew upon the cruise line for not paying a good salary. They don't really want to increase the fare and remove the auto-gratuities, they want both. Low fares and no tips. Yes, cheap is a good word.

Would that solve anything? No, they would still be here complaining about people who do tip over and above because that means they are expected to do the same. They would also be complaining about the high cost of a Princess cruise. They would complain about how Princess isn't really giving additional compensation to the crew because they talked to some anonymous crewmember who told them differently. They would complain that Princess still isn't paying a "living wage", whatever the heck that is.

About the best you can do is let Princess decide how to compensate their employees. Tell those who honestly want to know how the system works. Ignore the trolls who only want to be trolls.

This tipping caca has gotten out of hand. It's not tipping anymore. If anyone thinks it's tipping then they are fooling themselves. I don't believe in the exceptional service crap either. All the service should be exceptional. (Of course then nothing would be exceptional then, but you get the point.)

I believe they all should be paid a good wage. The fact is they are. There is a long waiting list for those who want the job, because they make a lot more than the people make in the countries they are from. If no, they would not be in the profession.

Yet, I do understand that giving a bit more may be incentive to work hard, though it appears they have to share all the extra tips also, so that puts an end to the incentive concept.

I will pay the gratuities up front and at the end of the cruise I will give each that I deal with $10-15 in the envelope and be done with it. If I feel that some have done a really bad job, there will be no extra tip. We will be giving more than some passengers and less than others.

I asked this question of several members of the crew while on a recent cruise on the Regal, and each one of them independently said that absolutely was not the case. Any cash tips they receive they are allowed to keep whether or not the auto gratuity has been removed, and no, they said they don't risk being terminated if they don't turn it in to be shared. A couple of them looked at me like I was crazy when I told them that I had read that on a cruise forum.

That's because they have no way of knowing who has left it on or not. Sure, maybe your cabin steward does, or if you have the same dining team they might, but beyond that, how could anyone know? And if you cash early on and turn off the automatic later, again, who is to know who received cash, when, for what, etc.

It would be impossible to manage. To believe everything on cruise critic means these cruise lines have massive back of house unseen staff that shake down crew members multiple times a day. Sorry, just makes no sense whatsoever.

I didn't know that if I gave cash to our room steward and I left the auto tips on, that he/she still has to turn in the cash. If that's the case, I will no longer give cash just to have it dispersed to others who did not do a thing for me. I am disappointed in knowing this. On our last cruise I gave our room steward a nice cash tip - 2 times in the 15 day cruise. It won't happen again.:mad:

P.S. On our last cruise at the Captain's party, a couple that sat with us was giving out tips to the waiter for the waiter to bring him a certain scotch. The waiter took it and stuck it in his pocket. The guy did this several times throughout the party. The waiter was very attentive to this couple.

Edited by elliair

I didn't know that if I gave cash to our room steward and I left the auto tips on, that he/she still has to turn in the cash. If that's the case, I will no longer give cash just to have it dispersed to others who did not do a thing for me. I am disappointed in knowing this. On our last cruise I gave our room steward a nice cash tip - 2 times in the 15 day cruise. It won't happen again.:mad:

I will still take the chance that what I read here on CC is not gospel and disperse cash as well as the auto-tip. :rolleyes:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I simply don't believe it. How can anyone possibly know what extra cash a steward has, or who it came from, whether it is on top of autos or in lieu of, etc.

I would continue to reward good service with extra cash. Until the cruise line SAYS they shake down their crew and take all the cash, I simply do not believe it.

I simply don't believe it. How can anyone possibly know what extra cash a steward has, or who it came from, whether it is on top of autos or in lieu of, etc.

I would continue to reward good service with extra cash. Until the cruise line SAYS they shake down their crew and take all the cash, I simply do not believe it.

We'll be cruising in a few more days, so I'll ask the cabin steward about it.

If you remove your auto tips you are cheap. I don't care what you say about leaving a cash tip here and there. The people that you don't see deserve something also. Your cheap , cheap, that's the only reason to remove them. you can try and justify with lame reasons like I want it to go to the people who deserve it, that's bull, but your still cheap. I bet nobody that removes their auto tips leaves an average of $26.00 a day for a couple to make up for it. They removed tips in Australia because most down there don't tip.

If you remove your auto tips you are cheap. I don't care what you say about leaving a cash tip here and there. The people that you don't see deserve something also. Your cheap , cheap, that's the only reason to remove them. you can try and justify with lame reasons like I want it to go to the people who deserve it, that's bull, but your still cheap. I bet nobody that removes their auto tips leaves an average of $26.00 a day for a couple to make up for it. They removed tips in Australia because most down there don't tip.

very well put:)

Without passing a judgment, consider that:

In most EU countries, a service charge of 12 to 15% is added to your bill and people will leave small change for a «tip».

In Singapore and Hong Kong, a tip is not expected and a service charge of 10% or more will often be added. That is true of many Asian countries also.

In Japan, a service charge is added and it is almost an INSULT to tip on top of that because people are proud to give good service and customers are respected to a fault :D

On Princess ships, should you add a tip in a bar where a 15% extra is already part of the bill?

Could the automatic gratuities be considered as a service charge similar to those mentionned above?

Edited by Montrealais

I hereby volunteer to try and find an answer for all. I have decided to book three B2B cruises starting in Auckland and ending in Sydney for the first one. The second will go from Sydney to Sydney and the third will go from Sydney to Singapore. During the first two legs, according to the cruise personalizer are in $A and according to what I have read on here, tips should have been included in my fare. The third leg the ship returns to US$ and I am assuming, daily tips will be added to my bill. Things I am trying to find out from this-

1. Will service change when tips are automatic as opposed to being according to how well I am treated?

2. How much will the fare increase to have tips included?

Since the first leg leaves in under three weeks, it should not take long for us all to have an answer, so stay tuned

Just got off the Crown yesterday and asked my cabin steward about any extra tips he received and what he had to do with them. I placed an extra tip in a sealed envelope with our name and cabin number on it, just in case. He told me that he could keep any extra tips without turning it in, if it was cash handed to him or in an envelope and that he still participated in the pool. This is sure puzzling???