Taking medication aboard, question..

teknoge3k

Every now and then, you'll read a story of someone's cousin's uncle's friend's daughter getting jammed up at TSA but the fact remains there is no such federal law.

As for TSA, their job is transportation safety, not policing controlled substances. TSA does not have law enforcement authority. If they do hassle you, just simply demand they bring over a law enforcement officer.

The last thing you should do is involve local LEOs. They are the ones with the authority to detain you--and they certainly do work hand-in-glove with TSA looking to be tipped off to any passengers with loose pills in their carryons. Whether or not you choose to believe it, it happens.

The last thing you should do is involve local LEOs. They are the ones with the authority to detain you--and they certainly do work hand-in-glove with TSA looking to be tipped off to any passengers with loose pills in their carryons. Whether or not you choose to believe it, it happens.

I totally disagree with that. I used to be a local LEO who did time in an airport. Doesn't change the facts. It would be an unlawful seizure if the pills are confiscated when the law doesn't say it needs to be in the bottles. If you can show proof and they take your meds, start counting the dollar signs, because you'll have a lawsuit on your hands.

Point is, most LEOs are far more reasonable, not to mention knowledgable, on this topic than TSA. The TSA training program is 12 days total. They are hardly the expert on drug laws.

People can do with this what they choose. Like I said earlier, carrying the bottles is probably easiest, but certainly not mandated.

Edited by Aquahound

From the US State Department's website covering foreign country requirements since TSA has no standing overseas (http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ecklist.html):

If you take prescription medication:

• Pack enough to last your entire trip, including some extra in case you are unexpectedly delayed.
  • Carry your medications in their original labeled containers, and pack them in your carry-on bag since checked baggage is occasionally lost or delayed.
  • Ask your pharmacy or physician for the generic equivalent name of your prescriptions in case you need to purchase additional medication abroad.
  • Get a letter from your physician in case you are questioned about your carry-on medication; some countries have strict restrictions on bringing prescription or even non-prescription medications into the country without proper medical documentation.

Unfortunately there is no link to which countries have strict restrictions.

In my own personal experience I had a German security officer in the Munich airport in 2009 want to open my 7 day pill container to check the pills - she was surprised to discover my earrings; the pills were in the original containers and she didn't check them. My DH in the Frankfurt Airport around the same time with prescription eye drops was instructed to put them in his eyes!

I totally disagree with that. I used to be a local LEO who did time in an airport. Doesn't change the facts. It would be an unlawful seizure if the pills are confiscated when the law doesn't say it needs to be in the bottles. If you can show proof and they take your meds, start counting the dollar signs, because you'll have a lawsuit on your hands.

Point is, most LEOs are far more reasonable, not to mention knowledgable, on this topic than TSA. The TSA training program is 12 days total. They are hardly the expert on drug laws.

People can do with this what they choose. Like I said earlier, carrying the bottles is probably easiest, but certainly not mandated.

Were you not a local LEO, would you wish to be the person standing at security in an airport fighting with the person who can be sure you are delayed long enough to miss your flight? Or the person who clearly is exceeding their authority but nevertheless are the one's with a badge? Most of us just want to follow the rules, uses common sense, take only what is permitted and clear through as smoothly as possible.

I could be right all day long but I also could be there all day long. :eek:

I figure the easier I make it for them, hopefully, the easier they will make it for me. :o

I have a medication I take twice a day for seizures. I typically keep my pills in one of the little pill organizers to help me remember to take them/if I've taken them. Can I bring my medicine in this on board, or do I have to have it in the original RX bottle? How does customs handle medicines?

Most people who take multiple meds on a daily basis use the pill organizers to avoid carrying multiple bottles that are often very large. This is normally not a problem at all. If you were do get a rogue agent or cop you might have to prove that you had a valid prescription for the meds, but with today's electronic medical records that is not hard to do.

Most people leave narcotics or other scheduled drugs in the bottles that come from the pharmacy, these are what agents would be concerned about, not your daily meds.

Someone will claim that they had an issue with the organizer, but I have never heard of anyone having any problem with it and you can be sure that hundreds of people on every cruise take a lot of medicines on board without leaving them in the original bottles. This also is perfectly acceptable for flying. TSA is not interested in your blood pressure medicine.

Edited by zqvol

And the argument goes on and on! Do what you feel most comfortable with!

For me I use baggies or a pill organizer as all the bottles would fill a small carry on! Just check your documentation and make sure none of your meds are an issue with whatever country you are travel thru or too!

And for gods sake do NOT pack those meds in your checked bag or allow anyone to Gate check a bag with them inside!

we have been cruising for 20 years - have never traveled with our meds in their original bottles (we use the small individual plastic pill bags). We have never had a problem at any airport or cruise port.

Marianne

.... Yet.

Hopefully your good luck will hold.

Be aware that some over-the-counter meds are illegal in some countries. If you are traveling to Europe, the Middle East or Asia, find out if the meds you are bringing are allowed in the countries you will be visiting.

Good point but I can't think of any would be interesting if you would supply some examples!

Good point but I can't think of any would be interesting if you would supply some examples!

Here's one example. According to the State Dept web site for Japan (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/japan.html):

Confiscation of Prescription Drugs and Other Medication:

You can bring up to a two-month supply of allowable over-the-counter medications and up to a two-month supply of allowable vitamins into Japan duty-free. However, it is illegal to bring into Japan some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers) or codeine are prohibited.

You can generally bring up to one month's supply of allowable prescription medicine into Japan. You must bring a copy of your doctor's prescription as well as a letter stating the purpose of the drug. However, some U.S. prescription medications, such as Adderall, cannot be imported into Japan, even when accompanied by a customs declaration and a copy of the prescription. You should not mail prescription medicines, including insulin and injectors, without obtaining an import certification called “Yakkan-Syoumei” from the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare. Please see more
into Japan.

If you plan to travel to Japan carrying prescription and non-prescription medications, you should consult the
in the United States before leaving the United States to confirm whether or not you will be allowed to bring the particular medication into Japan.

That web site contains lots of traveler information. If I was visiting a country for the first time, I'd definitely spend a few minutes checking it out.

Edited by capriccio

I really can't figure out how all the prisons in this country are not filled with people who failed to carry their prescriptions in their original bottles. Maybe it's because, as Aquahound has stated, it's not, nor ever has been required. Thousands of people travel thru airports everyday with their medication in those weekly packs.

I really can't figure out how all the prisons in this country are not filled with people who failed to carry their prescriptions in their original bottles. Maybe it's because, as Aquahound has stated, it's not, nor ever has been required. Thousands of people travel thru airports everyday with their medication in those weekly packs.

LOL I kinda thought the same! Geriatric drug smugglers would cost the prisons a fortune :)

I have a medication I take twice a day for seizures. I typically keep my pills in one of the little pill organizers to help me remember to take them/if I've taken them. Can I bring my medicine in this on board, or do I have to have it in the original RX bottle? How does customs handle medicines?

You know, we traveled from Chicago Midway through security and never once were questioned, I specifically made my husband bring his organizer with him and the pills in the pill bottle with his name on it in his carry on. Neither the airport on the way to the cruise, on the way home, cruise ship security or customs when debarking the ship ever enquired or even mentioned anything about it.

However, that being said, I would hate to find an overzealous TSA agent that would find the pill organizer with the meds in it and them want to know exactly what they are etc... I just choose to bring them in their original bottles. Plus, that way if I drop one or lose one I have a replacement.

• 1 year later...

"Get a letter from your physician in case you are questioned about your carry-on medication; some countries have strict restrictions on bringing prescription or even non-prescription medications into the country without proper medical documentation.

Unfortunately there is no link to which countries have strict restrictions."

New Zealand is one of the countries. It was a hassle to get doctor's letters and our mail order pharmacy provided a totally useless letter after several phone calls.

Of course, customs in Auckland was not interested in our pills. They took us over to the fast lane (for New Zealanders) because we were stuck behind a Chinese woman with a suitcase full of dried food products. Each of her items was taken out and inspected.

To come back to the OP's questions:

No ship has ever checked our medication. Hand luggage goes through the scanner because it is a rule. Your mediation is safe. On the cruises we have been on, we brought back rum, wine, and water bottles from shore trips. It was no problem on those lines, but others might object.