Regal, thinking of skipping the dining room

wdblake

The HC is huge with three areas to choose from. Always many choices and food is good, but we get tired of all the people and looking for a table to sit at.

We ate a lot in the main DR. We always do the anytime dining. There was one night we had to get a buzzer and waited 20 minutes for a table. We like to 'share' tables and meet other passengers. Normally a great experience, and learn new things from them.

Alfredo's has great antipasta and pizza's. The tiramisu is fabulous.

We did eat by pool a couple times. Good chili and fast food for movies under stars. And the pizza place upstairs is more traditional.

We were just on Regal 31 Jan- Feb 14th, and on Royal in November.

When we were on the Regal we found ourselves hitting the HC a few nights either because we didn't like the main dining selection or in a rush to get to a show. And they have a taco bar, who doesn't love tacos? I also found out that they now serve Greek gyro style lamb off the spit... now I'll just have to find some pita and tzatziki sauce :p

We spent 17 days on the Royal recently. The Symphony dining room (anytime dining) opened at 5:00. There were never more than ten couples in line at that time. Tables for two were plentiful; my wife and I shared a table twice and at a table for two all the other times. The dining room has doors on both the starboard and port sides of the ship. The doors on the port side were for those without reservations. The doors on the starboard side were for those with reservations for anytime dining. Once the dining room filled, there was a wait just like any on shore restaurant. After 7:15 to 7:30 or so there was no wait.

We were on the Regal for a 10 Day repositioning cruise to Port Everglades in October and then two weeks ago were boarding the Royal for a 10 day cruise. On the 10 day, we used the MDR 3 times for breakfast, 4 times for lunch (embarkation day lunch is a great start to a cruise!) and 4 times for dinner. On the 7 day cruise, we went to the MDR for 3 breakfast, 3 lunch and 2 dinners (and 1 at the Crown). We did not go to the MDR on any of the Formal Nights on either cruise. We have gotten away from the Formal night dinners after 29 cruises.

While both ships are almost identical, I can say the Horizon Court and International Café were more than slightly different. Maybe it was due to the difference in the number of days on board but I think it may be due to the Executive Chef and his top Chefs choices.

We really loved the HC for dinner on the Regal (10 day). Every night there was a Chef at a fresh cooked pasta 'station'. They were always wonderful!

There were many themed nights. One of my favorite nights was when you would take a bowl, fill it with all the veggies, noodles or rice choices, meats and sauces in which you wanted the Chef to stir-fry up for you while you waited. I was so looking forward to that offering on the Royal, but it never took place.

On another night they had an International night with food choices from at least 12 - 15 countries. It was fabulous. Again, it did not take place on the Royal. Only 1 night out of 7 did they offer Salmon in the HC on the Royal....it was fabulous. On the Regal, Salmon was served at least 4 times.

In the IC, the Royal seemed to have far more different salads throughout the 7 days. Unfortunately that meant I only got my favorite Chicken Salad the one time they had it available. :mad:

I like the MDR for portion control....and also for the Fettuccini Alfredo and the Soufflés! ;) The MDR at lunch is a nice, quiet place to relax for a quickly served meal. You're not there for hours!

In summary, the Chefs put their own touches on each ship, there are always plenty of choices wherever you decide to dine and no one should ever go hungry on a cruise! :D

We don't go to the main dining room very often. I agree with what everyone else is saying, but beyond that the plate portions in the dining rooms are GIGANTIC! We choose to share the main dish and it is difficult to explain to the waiters that we only want one plate to share. I have a hard time seeing half of a chicken on one plate and I just can't eat it all. So, the buffet, burgers, and areas where we can control what goes on the plate are better for us. Plus, we can take our plates and find a quiet place on a deck outside to eat and there is no one two inches away from our table for two!

Tip to the OP regarding the Horizon Court (buffet). Walk around and see what all is available and where it is located. The Horizon Court on the Regal and Royal is quite large. After doing that, head to the areas where the food you want is located. Grab the cold stuff first, then the hot stuff. If it is crowded and you are with companions (or a companion), find a table and get someone to volunteer to save it for the other(s). This procedure worked for us. YMMV :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Don't blame you for skipping the MDR on the Regal because we had terrible SLOWWWWW service, after 1 1/2 hrs all they served us was the appetizer so we got up and went elsewhere and never returned.

Our assigned table for 2 on our honeymoon cruise we had a similar experience. Our server wasn't very friendly and service was pretty slow. We were changed to anytime dining and had a good experience the rest of the two weeks.

Dining in the Dining Room is always the highlight our cruise. We book Traditional Second Seating, so there is never a wait. You have the same table and waiters for the entire trip. They get to know your likes/dislikes and over the years we have made great friends with the wait staff.

We have been on both the Regal and the Royal, As great as the Buffet is on these ships, we would never take a pass on the dining room for dinner!

42 Princess Cruises, 528 Sea Days...

I like your cruising style ! My first Princess cruise was on the Dawn Princess just after the Sitmar buyout. At heart she was essentially still the Fairwind; with the Italian & Portuguese crews. If memory serves me correctly, we even went to breakfast & lunch at our assigned dining room (the Ritz) !

Tip to the OP regarding the Horizon Court (buffet). Walk around and see what all is available and where it is located. The Horizon Court on the Regal and Royal is quite large. After doing that, head to the areas where the food you want is located. Grab the cold stuff first, then the hot stuff. If it is crowded and you are with companions (or a companion), find a table and get someone to volunteer to save it for the other(s). This procedure worked for us. YMMV :cool:

All you had to do was find a table first & lean one chair up against the table on two legs to reserve it. No one would have touched it.

I think dining is and always has been a personal preference , some like to dress to the nines , others not so much , others like the 2 hour deal others like to slide in and out and do other things . We all like a good meal but some don't like us don't like to do much effort to get it.

I am looking forward to the HC on this ship its looks and sounds much better than most ships we have been on and there seems to be so many other type options on this ship if you choose not to eat in the MDR.

I am looking forward to the HC on this ship its looks and sounds much better than most ships we have been on and there seems to be so many other type options on this ship if you choose not to eat in the MDR.

It's like night & day compared to the Horizons on the older ships in both quality & selections. :D

All you had to do was find a table first & lean one chair up against the table on two legs to reserve it. No one would have touched it.

This really isn't a good idea. I've seen people trip over chairs set up like this, and in rough seas it could be dangerous. Staff will fix the chairs if they see them propped up. If you just sit down at a table a staff member should come and take your drink orders. Once that is done the table should be yours. We've never had a problem doing it this way.

Just off Regal and agree their buffet is large but found a little confusing at times. We used it for breakfast but for the first time we took traditional dining in the dining room for 5:30 for a table for 2. We loved it. No lines, went right to our table. The food was very good especially on formal nights.

I have read a lot of negatives in so far as the wait times in the dining room and everyone seems to rave about the Horizon court/bistro. Can anyone relay the stations they have for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I assume the have both fixed and changing stations. Also no one ever mentions the bbq available by the pool grill. Is it any good? Thanks for any help and there is no such thing as too much detail! Happy cruising!

Plenty of selections at Horizon. I found desserts on board somewhat lacking. I'd suggest skipping anytime dining. If you're waiting, then I think that's what you have. Food is generally better in the Allegro than Horizon, but check both & then decide.

This really isn't a good idea. I've seen people trip over chairs set up like this, and in rough seas it could be dangerous. Staff will fix the chairs if they see them propped up. If you just sit down at a table a staff member should come and take your drink orders. Once that is done the table should be yours. We've never had a problem doing it this way.

I found that setting a small bowl of food worked for us.

My wife and I are big fans of the Horizon Court Buffet on the Royal and Regal. You can't beat the selection. I agree with the person who posted earlier about making the rounds first in the HC before filling up your plate, so many options to choose from. Then to top it off, you can't beat the "Pastry Shop" for a great dessert. Have a great cruise!