TSA Precheck Surprise

Ashland

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

DH and I went in to our nearby TSA pre-check office (Oxnard Ca) on Jan 13th to apply. Easy right ?

DH received his letter and KTN # dated Jan 18th.....Certainly mine would be arriving soon...after all it was always me getting the random TSA pre-check when flying many times....not him.

After a week or so I called to check on mine and was told my fingerprints didn't show up well enough (no fault of the person or electronic way they were taken) it happens sometimes...(as I have aged my skin is becoming thin) and that the FBI would have to do a different kind of search (by my name I guess).

Has this happened to any of you and if so how long did it actually take?

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

DH and I went in to our nearby TSA pre-check office (Oxnard Ca) on Jan 13th to apply. Easy right ?

DH received his letter and KTN # dated Jan 18th.....Certainly mine would be arriving soon...after all it was always me getting the random TSA pre-check when flying many times....not him.

After a week or so I called to check on mine and was told my fingerprints didn't show up well enough (no fault of the person or electronic way they were taken) it happens sometimes...(as I have aged my skin is becoming thin) and that the FBI would have to do a different kind of search (by my name I guess).

Has this happened to any of you and if so how long did it actually take?

Had exactly the same problem, mine went through in days while my wifes went through in probably two months, I don't remember exactly but it was in that time frame

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Certainly mine would be arriving soon...after all it was always me getting the random TSA pre-check when flying many times....not him.

Random is random. Having been randomly selected for Pre in the past was likely just a coincidence, and has no bearing on how quickly your official Pre application would be processed or approved. ;)

Random is random. Having been randomly selected for Pre in the past was likely just a coincidence, and has no bearing on how quickly your official Pre application would be processed or approved. ;)

I realize that...I was just adding that bit of info...as DH has enjoyed rubbing that little tidbit in ;):D

Random is random. Having been randomly selected for Pre in the past was likely just a coincidence

Apparently the TSA is giving much less "random" entry to PreCheck than in the past. Personally, I feel that is a good thing. Those who pay for it are sometimes seeing longer lines with people who have no clue what it means, thus slowing down the line.

Apparently the TSA is giving much less "random" entry to PreCheck than in the past. Personally, I feel that is a good thing. Those who pay for it are sometimes seeing longer lines with people who have no clue what it means, thus slowing down the line.

I've noticed that the words "pre check" are now in much smaller font on the boarding pass so easy to overlook if one is in a hurry. Have not had a problem with wait times but at one airport the TSA employee was yelling at those with pre check to take liquids out of our bags, shoes off etc. only advantage that time was we used the metal detector which is always seems faster as long as one has no metal on that sets it off.

As for slowing down the lines, don't you just love it when a pax has gobs of jewelry on and gets in line with a Starbucks and a full bottle of water-shocked when they can't get past security quickly!

I've noticed that the words "pre check" are now in much smaller font on the boarding pass so easy to overlook if one is in a hurry.

That depends on the airline and design of the boarding pass. I've only flown AA, US and B6 domestically within the last year and I think even Stevie Wonder would see the TSA PreCheck notations on the BPs I received, mobile and paper.

I agree completely. I was simply commenting on the OP's assumption that having been randomly selected for Pre in the past somehow meant her actual Pre application would be expedited.... as thoough her "random" selection actually meant she was sort of pre-approved already.

at one airport the TSA employee was yelling at those with pre check to take liquids out of our bags, shoes off etc.

And this is so totally wrong. What airport were you at?

And I wonder what one can do when something like this happens? We paid for pre-check because of a condition my husband has that makes it difficult for him with the shoes, belt and jacket business.

We paid for pre-check because of a condition my husband has that makes it difficult for him with the shoes, belt and jacket business.

I hope you knew when you paid for Pre Check that is is still never guaranteed. There is still a randomness to who will not receive it each time. Just a heads up so you won't be disappointed some day if you don't get it.

I hope you knew when you paid for Pre Check that is is still never guaranteed. There is still a randomness to who will not receive it each time. Just a heads up so you won't be disappointed some day if you don't get it.

I think I'll disagree with you on this one. I just did a bunch of research, including the TSA web site and can find nothing to indicate that we may not, at a random time, receive a boarding pass with the TSA pre check on it.

In general, if you have pre-tsa pre-check and the airport offers it you will not have to remove belts, shoes, etc.

However, you might be pulled off for a random additional check with the wand.

Keith

I'm aware of this but not the experience that Purduemom1 wrote about. So far we've sailed through each time. Just hope it continues.

And this is so totally wrong. What airport were you at?

And I wonder what one can do when something like this happens? We paid for pre-check because of a condition my husband has that makes it difficult for him with the shoes, belt and jacket business.

This was not at a major airport and all of us in line were very puzzled by the "orders" but not much one can do if you want to clear security and get on your flight.

That depends on the airline and design of the boarding pass. I've only flown AA, US and B6 domestically within the last year and I think even Stevie Wonder would see the TSA PreCheck notations on the BPs I received, mobile and paper.

Could be. I was on Delta and United week before last and on both BPs it was very small print.

I think I'll disagree with you on this one. I just did a bunch of research, including the TSA web site and can find nothing to indicate that we may not, at a random time, receive a boarding pass with the TSA pre check on it.

My own personal data point on this one:

I have GE (I've had it for 4.5 years) and I have been "bit" by the random denial of PreCheck three times; once at SAV, once at LGB, once at LAX. So, I say you MAY get denied, but your chances are very good that you will not. BUT, just be prepared…

PreCheck lines got longer with TSA started doing the random granting of PreCheck to Kettles who didn't grasp the concept of not having to take things out of your bag or strip to go through the line - it was meant to be a program for frequent travelers, but it got bastardized with the randomization.

We have been given TSA precheck the last two times we flew, in Jan 2015 and last week. We never applied for this and in fact, didn't know you could apply. Does anyone know why we have gotten this perk? Also, how do you apply for it and what is the cost, please?

We have been given TSA precheck the last two times we flew, in Jan 2015 and last week. We never applied for this and in fact, didn't know you could apply. Does anyone know why we have gotten this perk? Also, how do you apply for it and what is the cost, please?

Random TSA precheck is still being done but from what I have heard and read, it is not happening as frequently as in the past.

The cost is $85 and here are the instructions from the TSA website

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply

It works only in the US so that's why we got only the precheck. Just an FYI: In retrospect, since we often fly INTO the US we should have spent the extra $15 and got Global Entry also to speed us through immigration. OTOH, last times in there were kiosks at the airports we flew into for filling out immigration forms and things went quickly.

Random TSA precheck is still being done but from what I have heard and read, it is not happening as frequently as in the past.

The cost is $85 and here are the instructions from the TSA website

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply

It works only in the US so that's why we got only the precheck. Just an FYI: In retrospect, since we often fly INTO the US we should have spent the extra $15 and got Global Entry also to speed us through immigration. OTOH, last times in there were kiosks at the airports we flew into for filling out immigration forms and things went quickly.

Another consideration is that GE interviews are held in fewer locations making it more difficult for some than a Pre Check interview. However, if you live near one of the GE interview locations, it's worth the extra $15 I think.

Also, how do you apply for it and what is the cost, please?

The easy way is to go to a PreCheck application center in an airport, takes about 15 minutes. MIA has one so if you are returning from a cruise can apply. Its land side in the AA terminal on 3rd floor. The TSA agents will all know if there is a PreCheck App center and where.

You can disagree all you want but it is a fact that sometimes pax with Pre will be randomly selected for full screening. It's a built in security measure. Just because TSA doesn't advertise it on the website doesn't mean it doesn't happen, although I believe it was actually stated at one time. Either way, it's happened to me and others I know. Feel free to believe whatever you like, just don't be surprised if some day you don't get Pre. ;)

We have been given TSA precheck the last two times we flew, in Jan 2015 and last week. We never applied for this and in fact, didn't know you could apply. Does anyone know why we have gotten this perk?

It is random. As in, there is no particular reason YOU were selected and not someone else. In theory it happens to make security lines shorter.