Independence passenger hospitalized after champagne cork injury

I hope they will be okay. This is a prime example of why to purchase travel insurance. Also, on our recent Oasis cruise, they had to use the Coast Guard helicopter to get someone off of the ship for a medical emergency. Best to have insurance to cover those kinds of cost because I know MY health insurance company would not :(

Never turn the cork. You hold the cork and turn the bottle.

Correct. And as soon as you remove the foil, always have something (a towel, your hand, etc.) over the wire cage and then the cork. And point the bottle away from yourself and anyone else during the process.

I hope the injured passenger is okay.

Her right eye was struck by a cork from a champagne bottle she had brought on board, cruise line spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez said in an email.

"The guest was initially treated in our medical facility, but required additional and urgent medical attention that could only be provided in a hospital," Martinez said. "We wish our guest a speedy recovery."

I'm going to take a guess that it was self inflicted.

Her right eye was struck by a cork from a champagne bottle she had brought on board, cruise line spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez said in an email.

"The guest was initially treated in our medical facility, but required additional and urgent medical attention that could only be provided in a hospital," Martinez said. "We wish our guest a speedy recovery."

I'm going to take a guess that it was self inflicted.

Where are you finding that quote? I do not see that in the article that is linked above.

I hope they will be okay. This is a prime example of why to purchase travel insurance. Also, on our recent Oasis cruise, they had to use the Coast Guard helicopter to get someone off of the ship for a medical emergency. Best to have insurance to cover those kinds of cost because I know MY health insurance company would not :(

If one is lucky enough to be airlifted by USCG, there is no cost. :) But yes, I agree with you 100% about travel insurance