Travel agent needed for first timer?

tmandras

I am wanting to book a last minute cruise for my daughters graduation (cruising in June). I have went thru Royal Caribbean website several times making sure the cruise is what I want and adding in gratuities to our total, etc. but have been told by several ppl to just use a TA.

Is there a reason I need too?

Am I missing something?

I feel like I need to get this downpayment in ASAP before the cruise sells out , another cruise option I wanted already has sold out....

THANKS for any insight;)

If you are an accomplished traveler, and feel you understand what is being offered, included, etc., then there is no need for a travel agent. But I would book by calling the cruise line, rather than just doing the booking online. I would not use an online travel agency until I was an experienced cruiser.

You can get lots of good advice about Royal Caribbean on their forum here, under Cruise Lines P-Z. EM

I am wanting to book a last minute cruise for my daughters graduation (cruising in June). I have went thru Royal Caribbean website several times making sure the cruise is what I want and adding in gratuities to our total, etc. but have been told by several ppl to just use a TA.

Is there a reason I need too?

Am I missing something?

I feel like I need to get this downpayment in ASAP before the cruise sells out , another cruise option I wanted already has sold out....

THANKS for any insight;)

There are pros and cons. It ultimately comes down to your comfort level....what you are comfortable with....if you want to control every aspect of your booking and pre cruising experience or you want the travel agent to do that part for you.

One of the best things is that many agents offer excellent perks for booking, such as on board credit (on board spending money), prepaid gratuities, free dinner in a specialty restaurant and spa credit, among others. The main annoyance is that once you use an agent, the cruise lines will not discuss certain parts of your booking, per contractual law. You will have to go via your agent to manage your reservation in any way.

So it has and does not have advantages and is entirely up to the cruiser.

Personally, we have done it all. We have booked with the travel agents...online travel agencies, travel sections of warehouse stores and with the cruise lines direct, via phone and via the website. Sometimes the agents have given me a run around and so have the cruise lines. But it's all good in the end.:)

Edited by Arzeena

For my first cruise, I did all my research on my own, using a fare compare website, and narrowed it down to 2 cruises. I checked on each cruise line's website as well, called the cruise line, and booked (with Celebrity) on the phone, while on a lunch break at work. What was kind of funny is that I was sitting outside, and there was a lot of construction noise in the background. Anyway, I did it on my own. HOWEVER, I use to work for a tour wholesaler many years ago, and although we didn't sell cruises, I know the travel industry very well and felt very comfortable doing this on my own.

Booked my 2nd cruise entirely on my own, on the Princess website. The only cruise I booked with a TA I had to cancel because I was closing on a house right before final payment was due, and I didn't want that on my credit cards. Everything else, I've booked with the cruise line directly. I would certainly consider a TA, but I have been happy with the prices and perks I'm getting, and I have my own cruise consultant with Princess.

Curious that you are being told "by several [people]" that you need to use a travel agent but they did not offer to refer you to theirs.

Since you appear to still be a few weeks before final payment is due (and cancellation penalties kick in) I suggest you just go ahead and put down the deposit for your cruise directly with the cruise line. You still have a little time to rethink afterwards. But if you really want to speak with a TA first, does not the RCI web site have a section to refer you to its recommended high-volume TAs as most cruise lines do?

Edited by fishywood

Curious that you are being told "by several [people]" that you need to use a travel agent but they did not offer to refer you to theirs.

I find this a little odd also, esp if it is someone you know in person and not just online on a forum like this where we can't discuss specific TA's.

My first booking I did it all myself threw the cruise line. The 4 after that, I went threw different TA's until I finally found one I liked. Oddly enough, my mother is also a big cruising person and has never once suggest her TA, but she also goes to one of those bidding sites and takes the best offer. I don't think she has used the same TA twice, and our August cruise, I ended up going with an agency she booked an extended family trip threw. I hated that TA with a passion....

The biggest perk you will miss out on would be a few $100 at most by booking it yourself as that is what most TA's will give is On Board Credit for you to use on the ship for whatever you wanted.

If you find a good TA, then you won't even notice the difference in booking thru them vs directly. If you have a bad TA... you will wish you booked thru the cruise line.

If you are worried about the cruise selling out, and it is before final payment, just book yourself. You have a time to transfer it to a TA if you so choose (and before final payment).

If you are an accomplished traveler, and feel you understand what is being offered, included, etc., then there is no need for a travel agent.. EM

...unless you want significant OBC or credit refund (from the right TA) and an advocate (who may do millions in business with the cruise line compared to your few thousand dollars).

Normally when we travel I do most of the work. I've been in the hospitality industry all my life. But when we cruise we use our Cruise TA. We feel that we get a better deal through him, little perks and he helps us get the cabin we want. It's just easier for us.

I am a believer in a Travel Agenty.

Ask friends you know if they have an agent they like.

If they do know the price and call the agent and see if they will provide you with some additional amenities above what the cruse line provides.

The other advantage of a TA is that should something go wrong they can be your advocate with the cruise line.

Again, see if a friend can give you a recommendation.

Keith

There are pros and cons, as others have said. I always use an agent, even after 20+ cruises, because I like having someone else to advocate for me if needed, and someone else to help me keep track of the details.

To the OP, are you flying or driving to the Port?

If flying, direct flight or connecting? Same day or before?

The more complicated the itinerary becomes, I'm inclined to use a brick n'mortar TA.

Our first three cruises we used a TA that we picked at random. Each one messed up some minor items that we caught and had to spend time fixing.

Following advice to find a Good TA I looked in the phone book yellow pages in section G for Good TA's. Non listed.

Then I looked in section T for TA's with Good in title. Non listed. :D

So, we now book our own cruises, airline flights, hotels, etc. No more problems.

Bob

I'm a first time cruiser as well and am using a TA for the very reasons some listed above. Although, I am an over planner and organize every minute, cruising is new to me and the unfamiliarity warranted a TA from my perspective.

June is a touch close for reasonable airfare if you're flying to/from destinations.

That said, check Conde Nast Traveler Magazine for their "best of ..." lists. Also look for TAs with awards from travel magazines or honors from the specific cruise lines you're considering.

Take recommendations from friends with a grain of salt.

Auto clubs and big box stores may have deals -but a great TA (who is a line's top producer) can do better.

If your college alumni association does travel, ask who they use.

We use a TA because we like to go into Florida from Maine a couple days early, she put together a great package for us from RCCL. VIP boarding, champagne in the room, 2 dinners in a specialty restaurant and an OBC. Our friends who book through RCCL did not receive any of the perks. They booked the next day after us, still got the BOGO but no other perks. I will go with a TA ever time. Oh and our flights have one connection but it makes no difference to us as we have entry of time.

For years I did all the bookings on phone with the cruise companies. No perks to speak of. Then I found cc and read what others were getting from TAs and there was no looking back. We now get OBC, free gratuities, free specialty dinners, spa specials, etc. And the price of cabin is always the same. the online TA I use has been great to work with. I was a diamond before I knew all this. If only I knew earlier!!

Reminder:

Check out this article:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

Also, please remember that Cruise Critic does not permit requesting referrals to specific travel agents.

It also is against our posting guidelines to recommend (or recommend against) any travel agents or agencies on our boards.