Tips to expedite disembark and reduce stress?

CdnArtyWife

Background: Last time we cruised we booked everything through our TA. Cruise, flights, hotel, everything. We were leaving from and returning to Manitoba, Canada and our TA took very good care of us.

This time, our TA was more hands-off. Likely because we are a military family currently posted in the US. So our TA booked the cruise but recommended we book our own flights as we could pay that in USD and likely find better flight deals especially since we have more familiarity with the three airports that service our city.

So I booked our flights, and didn't realize that we might be cutting it close with 11:25am flights out of MIA on disembark day until it was too late. I even looked into the cost of changing our flights but that would have cost another $1000+ for the four of us.

We are cruising on Escape on 3/19. We are not platinum or Haven or have any other special privileges. We are just regular folks in two balcony cabins with teenaged kids.

My TA mentioned briefly something about advising NCL of our departing flights. How would one go about doing this? On board? Over the phone?

We plan to carry our own luggage off ship and get up early for disembark. Are there any other things I could/should do to expedite the process to get to the airport? Call a cab? Uber? Sacrifice a chicken for the customs gods?

Any help will be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We plan to carry our own luggage off ship and get up early for disembark. Are there any other things I could/should do to expedite the process to get to the airport? Call a cab? Uber? Sacrifice a chicken for the customs gods?

Just be in line for walk off a half hour before docking. You might have a bit of a wait but you should be early off.

As you don't know how long it will take you probably cannot book a taxi/shuttle as they won't want to hang round. I would guess that there will be lots of taxis and shuttles outside the pier; there were when we landed there.

Mike

You more than likely won't have any issues. We usually fly out of Fort Lauderdale (45 minutes away) and end up sitting at the airport gate by 10:30 or so. Lining up and carrying your own luggage is just about all you can do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just be in line for walk off a half hour before docking. You might have a bit of a wait but you should be early off.

As you don't know how long it will take you probably cannot book a taxi/shuttle as they won't want to hang round. I would guess that there will be lots of taxis and shuttles outside the pier; there were when we landed there.

Mike

You more than likely won't have any issues. We usually fly out of Fort Lauderdale (45 minutes away) and end up sitting at the airport gate by 10:30 or so. Lining up and carrying your own luggage is just about all you can do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you!

This is what we'll do. I just wanted the peace of mind that we are doing all we can do on our own.

The teens won't be happy for the early morning but they can sleep on the flights.

There are people who say they easily make 10:30 flights, even if it's not recommended. Do the walk off with your luggage. Then, depending on the time, you can decide if you take a shuttle or spring for a taxi. They will be waiting at the port. You should be fine.

Do get in line about a half hour before the announced departure time for walkoffs. If you have trouble getting a down elevator with your luggage take one up and don't get off - it will go down :)

This is EXACTLY why the elevators are so crowded. Very rude.

We book our flights as early as we can...earlier than your flight! You'll be fine! Just tell the ship about midway thru the cruise (they will tell you when) that you have an early flight. You will be in one of the 1st groups off...not a worry!

Do get in line about a half hour before the announced departure time for walkoffs. If you have trouble getting a down elevator with your luggage take one up and don't get off - it will go down :)

This is EXACTLY why the elevators are so crowded. Very rude.

I don't see why this is rude. If you can't get on an elevator going down because it's too crowded, what is wrong with going up first? I actually thought it was good idea.

You should not have any problem making an 11:25 am flight at MIA. That is well within what I'd consider the "safe" window, of 11am on.

You don't even really need to do the early disembarkation/carry off your luggage, but doing that will give you an extra bit of insurance. Once you're outside the pier hall, just jump in a cab. There will be plenty there, and the trip is very short.

Background: Last time we cruised we booked everything through our TA. Cruise, flights, hotel, everything. We were leaving from and returning to Manitoba, Canada and our TA took very good care of us.

This time, our TA was more hands-off. Likely because we are a military family currently posted in the US. So our TA booked the cruise but recommended we book our own flights as we could pay that in USD and likely find better flight deals especially since we have more familiarity with the three airports that service our city.

So I booked our flights, and didn't realize that we might be cutting it close with 11:25am flights out of MIA on disembark day until it was too late. I even looked into the cost of changing our flights but that would have cost another $1000+ for the four of us.

We are cruising on Escape on 3/19. We are not platinum or Haven or have any other special privileges. We are just regular folks in two balcony cabins with teenaged kids.

My TA mentioned briefly something about advising NCL of our departing flights. How would one go about doing this? On board? Over the phone?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update:

We got up at 6am and had breakfast at the Garden Cafe then headed down to line up for disembark at 7:15 (the half-hour early as was recommended). Once the disembark commenced at 7:45 the line moved steadily and swiftly. In fact, just as we entered the terminal the CBP agent directed us to take the alternate route through the terminal creating two lines. So we ended up first down that escalator and only had three people ahead of us at customs. We were in a van en route to MIA by 8:15 and through security with bags checked by 9am.

Everything was "slicker than whale snot" as they say back home.

I don't see why this is rude. If you can't get on an elevator going down because it's too crowded, what is wrong with going up first? I actually thought it was good idea.

It is basically saying FU to anyone else waiting on floors above you and anyone who really does need to go up. It is also telling everyone else that you are more important than they are. And it IS the exact reason that there is so much congestion on the elevators.

Glad you made it without any issues. Miami is easy and 11:30 is plenty of time for a flight.

Edited by zqvol

It is basically saying FU to anyone else waiting on floors above you and anyone who really does need to go up. It is also telling everyone else that you are more important than they are. And it IS the exact reason that there is so much congestion on the elevators.

Hahahaha actually 12 banks of elevators and 4000+ passengers is the reason.

I have a vision of openings and envelopes.

Edited by iimmie

NOT rude, just smart.

Exactly!Really do not understand why SPB in da RVA thinks only the upper decks should be able to get an elevator to go down. I guess they only book upper decks and want them all to themselves....:rolleyes: