Safety of carrying a designer handbag in Europe?

I want to buy a new crossbody purse to use on our Mediterranean cruise and was planning on getting a Coach or Michael Kors--so nothing insanely expensive, but around $300. But my husband is worried that I would absolutely be targeted to be robbed if I had anything designer on me. I had already planned on a crossbody worn snuggly with all zippers facing toward my body. Is he paranoid, or is that a legitimate fear? We have stops in Barcelona (just airport to pier), Nice/St Paul de Vence, Florence, Rome, Venice, Dubrovnivk, Venice, Bologna, and Kotor. We will be on the ship's excursions with very limited time on our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would avoid wearing them in the big cities where PP. hang out. They know all about luxury goods.My friend was jumped by 3 guys in Barcelona.They are good. Luckily his big $ was in money belt. But they got his wallet.Ever watch them work the Paris subways?

Guest maddycat

Why even take the chance? Buy a nice bag that isn't a designer bag. Less for you and your husband to worry about.

I've walked miles and miles of European streets wearing a Gucci, Fendi, Louis Vuitton or other such handbag. I always pay attention to my surroundings, wear the shoulder strap cross body, keep one of my hands on the top zipper and to date have fortunately never had anyone get into or take my handbag.

And do you suppose that those of us who live here don't have designer bags????

As a previous poster said - it won't be the bag that makes you look like a tourist:)

I agree with you. I asked for responses to show my husband that the handbag I carry wouldn't make a difference. Thank you!

You're welcome:)

Sometimes it seems to us Europeans that the average US visitor thinks they might be coming to a scary place and seem to forget that millions of us live here happily and safely and the things that they worry and have concerns about aren't even on our radar!

Lol! Yes, I'll tell him I need ALL designer so I WON'T stick out like an American tourist! ;-) I live 25 miles outside of New York City, so I understand how to take care to hold my purse through a crowd and to not wave around cash. But I never felt like, well, I'm going to the big, scary city; I better pull out a burlap sack so I don't look ostentatious! You're right; I tend to want to look nicer to fit in the city. And good call on the Italian shoes! I'll have free time for shopping in Venice. I think the other Italian cities are jam-packed with the tour sites.

Pickpockets are not interested in luxury bags, they only want your cash or credit cards. They are quite good at getting into bags, though, so do be very wary. I was pickpocketed in Barcelona wearing a bag on my shoulder and tucked under my arm -- they still managed to unzip the zipper and take my wallet without me even being aware of it.

Lol! Yes, I'll tell him I need ALL designer so I WON'T stick out like an American tourist! ;-) ....

Forgive me but tourists look like tourists. People ask this all the time on these boards... "How can I not stand out?". Well, we all do. We just do. Just relax and enjoy your trip to Europe, which will be filled with other tourists. :);)

Lol! Yes, I'll tell him I need ALL designer so I WON'T stick out like an American tourist! ;-) I live 25 miles outside of New York City, so I understand how to take care to hold my purse through a crowd and to not wave around cash. But I never felt like, well, I'm going to the big, scary city; I better pull out a burlap sack so I don't look ostentatious! You're right; I tend to want to look nicer to fit in the city. And good call on the Italian shoes! I'll have free time for shopping in Venice. I think the other Italian cities are jam-packed with the tour sites.

Who cares if I look like an American tourist. When in Italy, Spain, France and wherever, I AM an American Tourist. I am a capable traveler and keep my property as safely protected as possible.

I remember the time we were looking in a store window in Madrid. I heard a lady yell and a few feet away from me, the plain, ordinary handbag she was wearing on her shoulder was slit from behind with a knife and her wallet was grabbed. The thief was so fast by the time she realized what happened, he was half a city block away and running like the wind.

Made no difference if she had a designer bag or a vinyl piece of junk from some bargain outlet. She was his target and he hit a bulls eye.

[/b]

And do you suppose that those of us who live here don't have designer bags????

As a previous poster said - it won't be the bag that makes you look like a tourist:)

Us Europeans carry designer bags we don't think we are going to be mugged when we walk about. However, when we are in crowded places cities etc we make sure we are aware and take precautions. We wear our jewellery, we wear our diamonds - the sky doesn't fall in on us and we are not mugged every day! Being in Europe is the same as being on any other Continent in the world! Lol :D;)

x

Us Europeans carry designer bags we don't think we are going to be mugged when we walk about. However, when we are in crowded places cities etc we make sure we are aware and take precautions. We wear our jewellery, we wear our diamonds - the sky doesn't fall in on us and we are not mugged every day! Being in Europe is the same as being on any other Continent in the world! Lol :D;)

Seems very difficult to convince some people of what you said. So many threads on this and similar topics like wearing jewelry in Europe. After 60 or so trips abroad I will still not take off mine this spring and still carry an expensive leather handbag, no tacky initials.

BTW - Barcelona has some beautiful handbags if you are a "handbag person." One of my favorites was purchased in a small shop in Las Ramblas - no designer label, but incredible leather and great style. You'll find an even better selection of handbags to tempt you in your Italian ports. Sorry to divert the thread!

Any good pickpocket can tell a local from tourist.

And are they also experts in telling a real bag from a fake, LOL? My guess is there are more fake "designer" bags out there than real ones so seeing a designer logo on a bag may not get a pickpocket excited at all. Just my .02. ;)

I managed years in Europe wearing jewelry and taking all sorrts of purses with me daily. The only time I came close to a thief was n Christmas Eve at my street market. That day is considered "Romi Day" in Rome (at least to them) and they are out in huge numbers in non-tourist areas. As I moved forward at a stand I often frequented the owner nodded to me to watch my bag and indicated someone behind me. I didn't look but pulled my shoulder bag and tote in front of me. I am also looking for a new bag and just wish I could go to Florence where a certain monastery is known for its wonderful selection of leather goods to buy it.

Edited by NorthernLite

I managed years in Europe wearing jewelry and taking all sorrts of purses with me daily. The only time I came close to a thief was n Christmas Eve at my street market. That day is considered "Romi Day" in Rome (at least to them) and they are out in huge numbers in non-tourist areas. As I moved forward at a stand I often frequented the owner nodded to me to watch my bag and indicated someone behind me. I didn't look but pulled my shoulder bag and tote in front of me. I am also looking for a new bag and just wish I could go to Florence where a certain monastery is known for its wonderful selection of leather goods to buy it.

I have also manages decades of travel throughout Europe wearing jewelry and not taking a "pickpocket-proof" bag with me. I am always vigilant and remember to take my common sense with me on vacation. I know I may someday be victimized (like cruisemom42), but I don't worry about it to the point of fear. Sure, everyone is probably a tourist, but you don't have to look like a "toorist" - try to make yourself look like someone who knows the area, knows where they are going, and you may take the target off your back and leave the pickpockets to prey on someone else…

Oh - the Scuola del Cuoio is the Leather School in the back of the Santa Croce church in Florence. It indeed has high-quality leather goods. If you want to whet your whistle, they do have a website with offering: http://www.scuoladelcuoio.com

I bought my black lambskin leather jacket there back in 2007. Not cheap, but it is soooo soft and is still looking good and in style!!!

Thanks, ladies! (I'm presuming you're all ladies.) I think you've all made a good enough case to show my husband that it won't matter in the slightest what brand of bag I have, but I'll have the same level of awareness of my belongings/my surroundings as I do in the crowds in NYC. Actually I'd probably be safer with a pursue to clutch tightly than he would with a wallet in his pocket, but I digress. I hope I'll be near that leather school in Florence! I'll be on the Royal Caribbean Florence Academia (or something similar) tour--need to cross check the details! Thank so much!