P&O standards

jetset763

Don't forget your cruise was on adult only ship, and was 'out of season' with a lot people on the ship who are not restricted to when & where they holiday with no work commitments. I know it was a Northern Lights cruise (hopefully you got to see them and it looked fantastic) but if I was on Oriana at this time of the year I'd expect it to a bit "floating old folks home" too!! I know the older people tend to prefer the adult only ships as there's no children but am hoping for a slightly better mix of ages when we go in June. We haven't been on an adult only ship since Arcadia about 10 years ago so we usually sail out of school holidays so there's not as many children on board. We have to factor in each others jobs when choosing a cruise so are a bit restricted to when we go.

As for the food, as other people have said & sorry if I've missed your answer, did you mention to it anyone on board? Am hoping food will be good when we go!

Well I'm not pkpon but it shouldn't make any difference to the food if you're on an adult only or family ship. I communed about the food earlier and yes I didn't complain onboard the ship and ate more at The Beach House / Cafe Jardin than I intended to (at further cost) because of the poor food in the MDR and buffet

I know that people can only say how things were when they were on board. Well I have had three cruises in the past year on three different ships and I have not felt a decline in the standard of the food. In fact we felt things were better with the plated meals in the MDR - food was hotter and we did not have to wait while everyone on the table were served with potatoes and vegetables. I think sometimes people do not ask for what they want. I love cauliflower but dislike cheese so when cauliflower appeared listed as a vegetable accompaniment I asked if I could have mine without cheese sauce - no problem. Also at future meals the waiter remembered that I didn't like cheese.

I have always felt that the cold selection in the buffet could do with some attention and needs more variety but the hot selection has always been good, in our opinion. We also liked the fact that we could have sandwiches made during lunch time - good for a quick snack.

On our recent cruise when we passed cabin stewards in the corridors on our way to breakfast there was always a "Good Morning" and a smile. So that's how we have found things. We are off to Oceana in a few weeks time and I have no hesitation in saying we expect to have a good time. I do hope that threads like these are not putting new cruisers off - it is only the opinion of a section of cruisers.

I agree with what you're saying about asking for variations to dishes on the menu and waiters generally being very accommodating. We are like you too and always make an effort to talk to bar staff / wine waiters so they're happy to serve us, waiters who on Freedom dining asked us back to their tables and our steward who constantly smiled and chatted to us so we had no complaints about the service on Oceana.

However I hope you will come back and say what you thought of the food when you've been on Oceana. The only time I have complained about food on P&O was during and after my Oceana cruise recently and I sincerely hope it was just a blip.

Eeek! Apologies! I've posted on here and seemed to have muddled together 2 different posts I'd been reading into one response on here. Feel a total numpty now lol!

Don't apologise, we have all done the same.

This is the Holland America site, isn't it. :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think people are missing the point.

Overall I enjoyed the cruise on Britannia and she does not deserve a lot of the negativity that the ship is getting.

My point is that the whole time on these threads people are saying if you pay cheap fares you should not expect good food and service.

I paid a lot of money for that cruise so I should have a wonderful experience in return.

Overall I enjoyed the cruise on Britannia and she does not deserve a lot of the negativity that the ship is getting.

My point is that the whole time on these threads people are saying if you pay cheap fares you should not expect good food and service.

I paid a lot of money for that cruise so I should have a wonderful experience in return.

Unfortunately, P&O have created a problem and are now stuck between a rock and a hard place: downgrading of food in MDR has made many of us view the product as being unworthy of the brochure price, but worthy of lower cost, so we wait until a good price appears and book (or not, if it sells out).

We didn't start the cost cutting, P&O did.

We no longer eat in the MDR, but use part of the savings in cruise price to fund speciality restaurants.

Unfortunately, P&O have created a problem and are now stuck between a rock and a hard place: downgrading of food in MDR has made many of us view the product as being unworthy of the brochure price, but worthy of lower cost, so we wait until a good price appears and book (or not, if it sells out).

We didn't start the cost cutting, P&O did.

We no longer eat in the MDR, but use part of the savings in cruise price to fund speciality restaurants.

Very true, that has been our strategy for a while, part from the Caribbean where it still seems good value to us at saver prices with the flight included. For cruises from Soton the product is not worth the Select fares when the opposition offer a better product (in our opinion) for very little more and better value when inducements such as inclusive drinks are included.

Don't forget your cruise was on adult only ship, and was 'out of season' with a lot people on the ship who are not restricted to when & where they holiday with no work commitments. I know it was a Northern Lights cruise (hopefully you got to see them and it looked fantastic) but if I was on Oriana at this time of the year I'd expect it to a bit "floating old folks home" too!! I know the older people tend to prefer the adult only ships as there's no children but am hoping for a slightly better mix of ages when we go in June. We haven't been on an adult only ship since Arcadia about 10 years ago so we usually sail out of school holidays so there's not as many children on board. We have to factor in each others jobs when choosing a cruise so are a bit restricted to when we go.

As for the food, as other people have said & sorry if I've missed your answer, did you mention to it anyone on board? Am hoping food will be good when we go![/quote

For your sake i hope the age group varies when you are onboard because if not you wont be catered for. I appreciate that P&O cant please all the people all the time but they didnt put any activities on at all for anyone under 65. The only thing they put on was a disco where you could request songs but this didnt start until midnight. We paid good money for this cruise so id expect more than that, it was actually an insult. Thank God the destination was fantastic because we would have been very unhappy otherwise.

I hope that any first time P @ O cruisers reading this thread will not get the wrong idea about what they have to look forward to.

There were in excess of 3000 people on our recent Caribbean cruise on Azura. I did hear a few complaints and I did send one unsatisfactory meal back to have it replaced with a very good one. I can't comment on the buffet as we never use it.

95% of the time everyone enjoyed a lovely experience in lovely surroundings with very good attending staff. We paid select price and ate in the MDR and we don't feel disappointed or cheated at all.

If things are as bad as some people infer, why was everyone having such a great time. Yes, I do love the formal nights too. It was wonderful to see everyone dressed up and in party mood wherever we went on the ship. The Great British Sailaway was brilliant, all ages were having a thoroughly good time.

We are already looking forward to experiencing Britannia in September and have pre-registered for Azura next May. We do land based holidays as well but we do love cruising and have never been disappointed with P and O. Princess was good too and would happily go on another with them too.

I have just read a review of Britannia where there was a suggestion that the always available section in the MDR menu had been removed. Is that correct?

No. They are still available. Now called P&O Cruise Favourite.

Starters:

Atlantic Prawn Cocktail

Cream Of Tomato Soup

Main Course:

Prime Sirlion Steak

Dessert:

Sultana Brioche Bread And Butter Pudding

I think there used to be a salmon option in the main courses which is no longer there. They are not available on Gala Nights (Marco Pierre White options).

Hope that helps.

Snap! I did not book a cheap fare! In fact it was £600 more than our Disney Transatlantic last year for a smaller room on the Britannia.

The food didn't even compare to P&O's substandard offerings, it surpassed it in every way. We were eating Fillet of beef, lashings of fresh delicious seafood and piping hot high quality meals throughout presented beautifully. We were also made to clean our hands before we went into any dining room and buffet - you would not be allowed in otherwise! I would expect at least the same quality from a cruise liner charging the same or more!

Edited by jetset763

Starters:

Atlantic Prawn Cocktail

Cream Of Tomato Soup

Main Course:

Prime Sirlion Steak

Dessert:

I think there used to be a salmon option in the main courses which is no longer there. They are not available on Gala Nights (Marco Pierre White options).

Hope that helps.

That looks a lot smaller than it used to be or is it me? I thought there was chicken on there as well as additional desserts. May have been dreaming though. There was also an Egg Mayonnaise type starter that I really enjoyed and maybe a Caesar Salad. Hubby has just said that this is not on the P&O website .......

A disappointing drop in choices as we often chose items from this selection. :(

That looks a lot smaller than it used to be or is it me? I thought there was chicken on there as well as additional desserts. May have been dreaming though. There was also an Egg Mayonnaise type starter that I really enjoyed and maybe a Caesar Salad. Hubby has just said that this is not on the P&O website .......

A disappointing drop in choices as we often chose items from this selection. :(

No, don't think you are dreaming, there used to be three mains, steak (though I'm impressed by the "prime") salmon and chicken.

David

Starters:

Atlantic Prawn Cocktail

Cream Of Tomato Soup

Main Course:

Prime Sirlion Steak

Dessert:

Hope that helps.

I have just seen a review on another site and they were saying only steak in the "favourites" now. When the reviewer asked about the salmon and chicken he was told you can still have it if you ask!

And Presto - I had the egg mayonnaise starter a couple of times last June :)

Hmm

I am new to this P&O and a bit worried with what I am reading. ..

I have recently been on ncl and was wondering how they compare.

Can you get a drinks package with P&O?

They do not do a drinks package like most cruise lines. We most of the drinks reasonable comparable to London drinks prices. Cocktails where not worth it in our opinion. Most of them used pre mixes and the martini glasses where smaller than normal. They had a good selection of wines and beers but by the end of our cruise the bar has run out of a lot of the beers.

You can buy a soft drinks package that is not worth it as it limits you to 20 refills. We ended up just taking loads of bottles onboard with us.

You can by a costa coffee card which you essentially get 10 coffees for the price of 9. You don't save anything if you only drink Amerocanos.

You can get a wine package also but you can only use it in the restaurants. We dined a lot in the buffet so ended up not using all our tokens so we cashed them in on the last night and brought our wine home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have just seen a review on another site and they were saying only steak in the "favourites" now. When the reviewer asked about the salmon and chicken he was told you can still have it if you ask!

And Presto - I had the egg mayonnaise starter a couple of times last June :)

Thanks, will remember that one about asking for those meals ;-) I like the salmon, particularly if I want something light for a change amidst all of the over eating !

Re the egg mayonnaise - so pleased, thought it was me imagining things !

Sad it is gone though as I really enjoyed that one :confused:

Thanks, will remember that one about asking for those meals ;-) I like the salmon, particularly if I want something light for a change amidst all of the over eating !

Re the egg mayonnaise - so pleased, thought it was me imagining things !

Sad it is gone though as I really enjoyed that one :confused:

Yes I wonder if you can ask for that too as you can seemingly ask for chicken or salmon? Seems strange, how will people know it is an option?

They do, although no doubt some will tell you it is smaller and not as good as it used to be ;)

The lunches are not massive but you can use the magic word "large" if you like curry that much.

I have the odd lunch but very often I try to miss that meal out. I have a good breakfast. You do not need to eat all day.

Can I ask, do PO still have a curry option in the MDR during lunchtime?

Always was one of my favorite options.

Thanks

Curry, in one form or other, is always on the lunchtime menu. Also available in the self service.

Brian

Yes I wonder if you can ask for that too as you can seemingly ask for chicken or salmon? Seems strange, how will people know it is an option?

You can't ask for anything which is not on the menu anymore...you can try but the request will more often than not be declined. Of course you might get lucky!