Family left behind

But its worth pointing out, the Passport Cards can't be used for air travel. I'd rather have the Passport Card than nothing if left behind by the ship, but my understanding is you wouldn't be able to board a plane with them.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

We have them because if/when we had to go to an embassy/consulate we would have something connected to the US Passport system as well as GOES…this would hopefully help in the process of being issued something that would allow us to fly.;)

Actually, for us as retired people with $00.00 on all credit cards, we would be in no hurry to return…especially if we were left in St.Martin. Would book a few nights or a week in a resort and enjoy ourselves before flying home.:):)

The nice thing about a passport card is that you can keep it in your bathing suit when swimming and not worry about damaging it.:) Also, we always take a credit card off the ship when we go ashore.

Edited by beachnative

Folks look at the back of your SeaPass it says "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY WHILE IN ANY WORLDWIDE PORT CALL OUR EMERGENCY TRAVEL TEAM IN THE U.S COLLECT +1 305 962 2700"(I'm not shouting it's in all caps on the card)

Edited by FLACRUISER99

I've always wondered if there's a pilot on board, and you were that close to departure, would they let you board from the pilot launch? Have to say, I wouldn't terribly fancy having to do that, but better than being stuck alone somewhere.

We saw a family with a child board from the pilot boat. Luckily for them the water wasn't too rough. They more or less threw them and crew on the ship grabbed them. I would build a shack and live on the beach before I'd have let my child be thrown between a bouncing pilot boat and moving ship.

Cozumel used to be a great place to watch pier runners mainly because if Carlos and Charlie's. A lot of them couldn't run. Watched a guy crawl from a taxi to the gangway, but at least he wasn't late. My last few cruises we were down at the newer pier, which seems to be too far from downtown to get the totally soused group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jagsfan

Cozumel used to be a great place to watch pier runners mainly because if Carlos and Charlie's. A lot of them couldn't run. Watched a guy crawl from a taxi to the gangway, but at least he wasn't late. My last few cruises we were down at the newer pier, which seems to be too far from downtown to get the totally soused group.

Nassau and Senor Frog's provides similar entertainment! :)

I would be surprised and shock if a Royal Captain allowed a small boat to approach and transfer passengers. It is very complicated to do this, yes the harbor pilots are put on and off ships but they are professional with years of experience.

From a liability standpoint it would seem to be grounds to remove a captain.

Not even close. The agent would have arranged for the boat transfer with the approval of both the harbor master and the Captain. This kind of situation is covered in the ship's Security Plan, and includes the transfer of passengers both onto and off of the ship. Generally, this is done via the tender platforms, not the sideport and Jacobs ladder the pilot uses, reducing the possibility of injury and hence liability. The passengers are liable for the cost of the launch, but without the agent's intervention, no boat operator would do this.

Edited by chengkp75

I bet he was telling the truth, too. Many years ago, we were on a HAL cruise and had the opportunity to chat with their head of security. He said the ship had two cells that were usually used for drunk and disorderly passengers who just wouldn't control their behavior. If a Captain encountered late passengers who were drunk, I have no doubt a Captain might have them cool off in the brig.

While the ships do have brigs, and the line is authorized by the flag state to detain any passenger who is a danger to themselves or others, any Captain that placed passengers in the brig, simply for being drunk and/or being late returning, would be liable for legal action. More commonly when a guest is merely drunk, Security will detain them in their own cabin (unless a balcony) and place a Security officer outside in the passageway.

Sometimes Stuff Happens.

:)

I'm glad you qualified that statement with "sometimes". I would bet most times it is because of "Senor Frogs" and such establishments. Cheers!

It's not an "EMERGENCY" but rather "STUPIDITY".........call 1-888-G00D-LUCK.........:cool:

On our last cruise, we arrived at the pier 45 minutes after sail away time, due to an excursion through the cruise line. (Obviously they waited for us since we booked through the cruise line). There was transportation issues, and about half of our 4 wheeling group got stuck waiting for another bus.

Anyway when we finally made it back to the ship, we were quite the spectacle. People shouting NASTY things at us, heckling us, and being JERKS. I'm sure they assumed as well we were "at senor frogs". There were probably 200+ people out on their balconies watching us "pathetic runners who didn't plan" and really just made me honestly kind of upset with the things they were shouting. The whole situation was stressful to begin with, being in the Bahamas on a broken down vehicle. But we didn't appreciate those nasty passengers. Don't judge. You have no idea which passengers were idiots and which ones weren't.

Edited by jetta8300

While the ships do have brigs, and the line is authorized by the flag state to detain any passenger who is a danger to themselves or others, any Captain that placed passengers in the brig, simply for being drunk and/or being late returning, would be liable for legal action. More commonly when a guest is merely drunk, Security will detain them in their own cabin (unless a balcony) and place a Security officer outside in the passageway.

What if it's a balcony?

We were in Falmouth Jamaica and saw maybe 50 runners...most had a pink wristband which made us think they were on an excursion

Thanks for this info. I never get off the ship in Falmouth. :)

navbits_finallink_ltr.gif Klfhngr made some good points.

1. Never leave the ship w/o your cruise compass. It has the port information, as well as the time to be back on board.

2. Bring an international cell phone, and bring a charger. Klfhngr's cell ran out of juice. We're getting a second cell phone for the next trip because we got separated on the last trip to Europe.

3. Bring money, credit card.

4. Bring copy of passport.

5. Bring "keep me alive pills."

We also register w/ S.T.E.P. So, hopefully, we'll be in the system at each embassy.

We had a tour member get her passport stolen on the Great Wall, and it took her about a day to get it replaced as well as traveller's checks.

We seldom do private tours. Because they usually don't meet our qualifications. Mainly, they don't promise in writing to get us to the next port. We're taking a chance w/ our next cruise, since they're spending the night in port.

We registered our southern Caribbean cruise w/ S.T.E.P. and a few ports had their embassies on different islands.

Most of the ship tours we've been on use stickers, not wrist bands. And the stickers correspond to the bus number. They also have these handheld signs with the number the tour leader can use to lead us around. Makes us feel like we're back in school

What if it's a balcony?

Then they will either move them to a non-balcony or to the brig. There would be a possibility of a drunk restricted to a cabin trying to move from one balcony to another, and ending up wet.

Then they will either move them to a non-balcony or to the brig. There would be a possibility of a drunk restricted to a cabin trying to move from one balcony to another, and ending up wet.

If that happens, getting wet will be the least of their problems.

1. Never leave the ship w/o your cruise compass. It has the port information, as well as the time to be back on board.

2. Bring an international cell phone, and bring a charger.

I photograph important information (such as port agent details) so they're on my phone. I also have copies of insurance documents and photos of my passport and driving license stored online so that I can access them from anywhere if needs be. I also carry a portable battery charger too. That's just an example of the kind of thing I'm talking about, you can get neater ones than that. Charge them up on mains, and they'll recharge your phone from empty a few times.

Our next day was a sea day...then back to ft lauderdale. The father came out of the security area all smiles ready to have everyone cheer for him with his arms up proud. Then he saw the ship moving and that excitement went out the window. It was literally a few minutes. The crew seemed to be looking for someone in the port area.

LMAO!! I wish you had gotten that on vid ... it would be a blast to watch the look on his face change !

Funny that it only took an hour and a half to get a passport. Wonder how they verify who you are?

Some people here like to say that you will be trapped and spend days upon days trying to get a passport. No doubt it would have been easier to just book a flight and leave had he had a passport but definitely not the horror story some like to give when people ask if it is ok to travel without one. And I'm not dismissing how scary it must have been, only that it appears easier then some would like people to believe to obtain a passport in an emergency situation.

"It only took an hour and a half" is a little misleading. First he had to wait til the following morning. Once at the embassy it only took him an hour and a half, but I'm sure it helped a lot that he had an old passport with him. Probably made it much easier to verify his information. He was also fortunate in that the embassy is very near the port in Nassau; depending on where your ship goes you could be hours from the embassy. Also, he went to the embassy on a normal business day. If he'd missed the ship on a Friday, he likely would have had to wait til Monday, for example. In any event, it's not just about getting a passport, it's also about finding a flight. As noted in this story, he then had to wait another day for a flight. So all in all, it was still a 2 day ordeal... one day to wait to get a passport at the embassy and another day to get a flight.