NCL Needs to be More Flexible Sometimes

lbrandon

NCL needs to learn to be a little more flexible. We saw a riot almost break out on the Dawn last week when they turned off the Northern Iowa vs Texas A&M game in double overtime to start karaoke. They left one TV on at the far corner of the bar but turned the sound off. The bar was absolutely packed with people going nuts over this exciting game and there were maybe two people that actually cared about karaoke. I don't even really care about college basketball but even I was getting into the excitement of the crowd. Waiting a few more minutes would have probably been a smarter choice.

NCL needs to learn to be a little more flexible. We saw a riot almost break out on the Dawn last week when they turned off the Northern Iowa vs Texas A&M game in double overtime to start karaoke. They left one TV on at the far corner of the bar but turned the sound off. The bar was absolutely packed with people going nuts over this exciting game and there were maybe two people that actually cared about karaoke. I don't even really care about college basketball but even I was getting into the excitement of the crowd. Waiting a few more minutes would have probably been a smarter choice.

I don't even like to watch sports ever, but I still think what NCL did here is totally absurd.

Worse than absurd.

Was someone just totally clueless, or did someone have a really nasty breakfast that day?

Just making a [valid] point here, what if the game had gone into three, four, or five OTs? At what point would it have been OK to go ahead and get the planned activities started? There is always another side/point of view to every story.

Just making a [valid] point here, what if the game had gone into three, four, or five OTs? At what point would it have been OK to go ahead and get the planned activities started? There is always another side/point of view to every story.

The crew member who was in charge of the activity most likely did not make the schedule, but it is their job to follow it. I am sure without consent of their boss, they can't just change the schedule. I agree it could have been handled differently, but the crew member, probably could not make that call.

I get that people get into their sports games and particular teams, but when does it end? I feel like cruises need to maintain some sense of control over regularly scheduled programming and events, otherwise sporting games could very easily take over all the venues, all the time.

If people want to keep track of their games, can't they purchase Internet access to view online/catch highlights? Seems like a good compromise to me.

I get that people get into their sports games and particular teams, but when does it end? I feel like cruises need to maintain some sense of control over regularly scheduled programming and events, otherwise sporting games could very easily take over all the venues, all the time.

If people want to keep track of their games, can't they purchase Internet access to view online/catch highlights? Seems like a good compromise to me.

On one cruise there were about 50 of us watching the fireboats spray a farewell as we were sailing out of port. A crew member closed all the shades so that about six people could take part in a scheduled activity evidently requiring shades closed. Those of us watching the fireboat display felt that the activity could have waited a few more minutes.. But the crew member wouldn't let us raise even one shade. Evidently the schedule for activities is sacred.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that they can only show games (TV channels) in public areas that are also available on cabin TVs.

I think the ship needs to stop showing sporting games at all to avoid this in the future. :D

It is the evil influence of European soccer, and even worse Grand Prix racing. :eek: Talk about boring garbage. Guys running around in shorts pretending to be hurt followed by guys driving around in circles for two hours. :rolleyes: it's enough to drive a man to drink!:mad:

Depending on how their video system is configured, the person running the event may not have even directly controlled it. Some of that stuff is pre-programmed. Doesn't mean it can't be overridden but the person who can do that may not be the one on site at the time.

The crew member who was in charge of the activity most likely did not make the schedule, but it is their job to follow it. I am sure without consent of their boss, they can't just change the schedule. I agree it could have been handled differently, but the crew member, probably could not make that call.

He could have "made the call" to the activities director to say "Hey, you have 100 people in here really into this game on the tv and 2 waiting for karaoke. Would you like me to shut it off or perhaps you'd like to swing by and check this out before I possibly start a riot?"

God gave us all brains.

Corporations that don't allow employees to use theirs, end up with 100 peeved customers.....all for the feelings of 2....

We're losing our common sense.

Depending on how their video system is configured, the person running the event may not have even directly controlled it. Some of that stuff is pre-programmed. Doesn't mean it can't be overridden but the person who can do that may not be the one on site at the time.

Person #2 could pick up a phone and contact the Chief Overrider in Charge, aka #1.

Orrrrrrr, NCL can allow the game they are publicly offering to finish. After all, they started it. I think viewers have a reasonable expectation to see the whole game.....then again, I'm a Pats fan and can 100% guarantee you it would have gone straight to ugly if this happened during one of their games.

I can imagine the scenario.

There's a 22 year old NCL employee that's in charge of running this karaoke event. 7pm rolls around and the room is full of people watching the end of this game. But it is 7pm and now there are several other people who want to start karaoke and hassling him to start the event on time.

The NCL employee should absolutely be empowered to delay the start of the next event. Sort of like how 60 minutes is delayed on Sunday nights when the NFL football game runs late. 60 minutes might start 20 minutes late but immediately after the game ends.

Let me understand. There was a scheduled event starting. There were people there for the event. The event started on time as scheduled. And this was a problem how? Most of the sporting events on the Dawn that I've seen have been available in several venues. By the way, what exactly is a "near riot" and how was it quelled? Did they call security, shut down the venue or arrest someone? I've never been to a near riot!!!:rolleyes:

Let me understand. There was a scheduled event starting. There were people there for the event. The event started on time as scheduled. And this was a problem how? Most of the sporting events on the Dawn that I've seen have been available in several venues. By the way, what exactly is a "near riot" and how was it quelled? Did they call security, shut down the venue or arrest someone? I've never been to a near riot!!!:rolleyes:

I think you're being far to literal and entirely unreasonable. Who the hell interrupts 100 people having a fantastic time so a couple folks can sing Jimmy Buffett and Beach Boys covers at 7pm SHARP?!? Give me a break.