Random Question about leaving the terminal and coming back on embarkment day...

So I have an upcoming cruise that leaves from New York where I will book a shuttle that takes me to the cruise port from the airport. However, in looking up some stuff in New York, I found a little bakery that I'd like to visit, 5 mins from the terminal and think it would be good to have something to munch on while waiting to board. From my (very few!) previous cruises, I know that my ID/passport was checked when the shuttle arrived at the port... BUT... once I arrive at the port, is there any problem taking a quick taxi to the bakery and back before I sit in the waiting room to board the ship? I plan to get there SEVERAL hours before boarding will begin anyway, but I guess my main concern is wondering if security is going to think it's suspicious that they're checking my ID twice upon entering the port area two times in the same day. Also, will it be hard getting a cab? I know several will probably dropping people off for the cruise so I figured I could take one of those somewhere and back.

So I have an upcoming cruise that leaves from New York where I will book a shuttle that takes me to the cruise port from the airport. However, in looking up some stuff in New York, I found a little bakery that I'd like to visit, 5 mins from the terminal and think it would be good to have something to munch on while waiting to board. From my (very few!) previous cruises, I know that my ID/passport was checked when the shuttle arrived at the port... BUT... once I arrive at the port, is there any problem taking a quick taxi to the bakery and back before I sit in the waiting room to board the ship? I plan to get there SEVERAL hours before boarding will begin anyway, but I guess my main concern is wondering if security is going to think it's suspicious that they're checking my ID twice upon entering the port area two times in the same day. Also, will it be hard getting a cab? I know several will probably dropping people off for the cruise so I figured I could take one of those somewhere and back.

Many ports won't let you leave after you have been processed.

Most will however let you drop your bags early, and check in later.

This is something you need to check with your particular cruise line.

Hi,

I have left from the Manhattan terminal many times. It has been about a year because we switched cruises lines and now leave from Port Liberty but the last time I was in New York this is how it worked:

Mass confusion at the drop off site -- people coming by bus, taxi, being dropped off, parking and coming in from the parking area.

You had your checked bags to a porter and then wait for an elevator to go to the second floor to check in.

Instead of waiting for the elevator you can take your carryon luggage and cross the street for a cab or walk to the bakery.

When you get back you can wait for the elevator and be processed in. I have seen people walk back to their cars before getting on the elevator. I have seen them go to street vendors for food.

Once you get to the second floor and are in line and go through security I have never seen anyone allowed to leave. I suppose you can if you have your documentation and are willing to wait in the security line again.

As I said it has been awhile since I have been at that terminal but every time it was lots of people milling around waiting for the elevators.

The other option is if you have traveling companions-- someone stays with the luggage near the elevator and someone makes a cake run.

Many ports won't let you leave after you have been processed.

Most will however let you drop your bags early, and check in later.

Can you clarify this? I thought dropping off bags was part of the being processed part? I was actually thinking of not even going inside the terminal yet, but getting a taxi directly from the port and come back before starting the processing, but if I could drop off my bags first, then catch a cab, that would be nice!

Can you clarify this? I thought dropping off bags was part of the being processed part? I was actually thinking of not even going inside the terminal yet, but getting a taxi directly from the port and come back before starting the processing, but if I could drop off my bags first, then catch a cab, that would be nice!

You should be able to do that. Just make sure you confirm the latest check-in time, because it may be earlier than you expect. It's common for it to be 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

Edited by clarea

Hi,

I have left from the Manhattan terminal many times. It has been about a year because we switched cruises lines and now leave from Port Liberty but the last time I was in New York this is how it worked:

Mass confusion at the drop off site -- people coming by bus, taxi, being dropped off, parking and coming in from the parking area.

You had your checked bags to a porter and then wait for an elevator to go to the second floor to check in.

Instead of waiting for the elevator you can take your carryon luggage and cross the street for a cab or walk to the bakery.

When you get back you can wait for the elevator and be processed in. I have seen people walk back to their cars before getting on the elevator. I have seen them go to street vendors for food.

Once you get to the second floor and are in line and go through security I have never seen anyone allowed to leave. I suppose you can if you have your documentation and are willing to wait in the security line again.

As I said it has been awhile since I have been at that terminal but every time it was lots of people milling around waiting for the elevators.

The other option is if you have traveling companions-- someone stays with the luggage near the elevator and someone makes a cake run.

This sounds great! Another commenter said I could drop off my bags first too. I didn't even think of that as an option! However, you mentioned Manhattan and apparently my cruise ship is leaving from the Brooklyn terminal. Is it the same way?

It can vary from Port to port but many ports the luggage is dropped before you even enter the terminal (I suspect it is closer to the loading hatch, and in that case what you suggest is a breeze.

You should be able to do that. Just make sure you confirm the latest check-in time, because it may be earlier than you expect. It's common for it to be 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

Cool! Yeah, depending on which flight I book, I may be 5 or even 6 hours before departure, so I figured I had time. I mainly just didn't know if I could leave the terminal once I arrive even if I haven't checked in yet. Sounds like I can. Good to know!

http://www.nycruise.com/

The above site will tell you about the terminals in NYC. NCL leaves from Manhattan. It does give you info on embarkation. You will probably have to cut and paste for it to work.

I've done this several times in Europe. Dropped off our luggage and one of our backpacks (keeping only the expensive stuff and medicines with us) and headed out for 3 or 4 hours of sightseeing. We sent an email to confirm the earliest time we could drop off our bags. They asked us to bring luggage to office and wait while they x-rayed luggage. Never did this from NY.

Cool! Yeah, depending on which flight I book, I may be 5 or even 6 hours before departure, so I figured I had time. I mainly just didn't know if I could leave the terminal once I arrive even if I haven't checked in yet. Sounds like I can. Good to know!

Please don't tell us you're flying into a cruise port on day of departure. Bad idea for all of the obvious reasons. Moreover, one can only assume you've done NYC before (knowledge of the bakery?) - else why waste that airfare and not explore NY? Been to Brooklyn yet? - worth a trip in and of itself!

• 6 months later...
What is the name of the bakery? :)

It's actually Baba's Pierogies. I said "bakery" because it was easier. But I'm planning on staying in New York for a few days after my cruise but I'll mainly be in the Manhattan area, not planning on going back to Brooklyn except to board my cruise.

Save

Please don't tell us you're flying into a cruise port on day of departure. Bad idea for all of the obvious reasons. Moreover, one can only assume you've done NYC before (knowledge of the bakery?) - else why waste that airfare and not explore NY? Been to Brooklyn yet? - worth a trip in and of itself!

Actually I have been to NYC once before so I've been researching things I haven't done. But since I want to take in some Broadway shows I actually have to stay in NYC after the cruise, not before. But I am also booking a flight for the same day as departure. I know alot of people say don't do it but I've done 4 other cruises always flying into port on the same day and never had issues and I still usually get on the ship early. This time because I knew I wanted to visit one place before getting on board I set my flight super early. It's set to arrive at 11 a.m. and check in doesn't even begin until 1, so even if there's a flight delay, I'll still get on before the ship departs at 5 p.m.

This sounds great! Another commenter said I could drop off my bags first too. I didn't even think of that as an option! However, you mentioned Manhattan and apparently my cruise ship is leaving from the Brooklyn terminal. Is it the same way?

At every US port where I have embarked: Boston, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Bayonne, Norfolk, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Seattle, San Pedro and Houston the first thing you do upon getting out of your car, bus, taxi or whatever is to hand your bags to the porters - then enter the terminal on foot. I have never seen any control preventing you from grabbing a taxi or walking off to return and check in later. Of course, for a number of te above ports, there is virtually nowhere conveniently nearby worth going to with the caption of Manhattan. Of course there will be plenty of available taxis which have just dropped off passengers, so you should be able to go almost anywhere (with your carry-on bags) as long as time permits.

An 11am flight arrival is NOT super early! In fact, a flight that late would worry me. Not sure if you are on Princess on Cunard (only lines using Red Hook Brooklyn terminal) but check in will start earlier than 1pm. However, they give you a time in order to spread out the crowds. EM

An 11am flight arrival is NOT super early! In fact, a flight that late would worry me. Not sure if you are on Princess on Cunard (only lines using Red Hook Brooklyn terminal) but check in will start earlier than 1pm. However, they give you a time in order to spread out the crowds. EM

Well, my flight is at 6 a.m. actually, so it's really as early as I could get, it just arrives in NYC at 10:30, but check in doesn't even begin til 1, so I figured I would have plenty of time.

Edited by HippieChick02

When the taxi driver pulls up to baggage drop off just ask him to hold on for a minute while you give your bags to the porter and then take the same taxi to your destination, the taxi driver would rather wait a minute or so for you rather then pull around and get back in line to pick up a new fare.. We did this in FL with RCL and dropped our luggage off at 8:15 and returned to check in at 2:30, which made for a no line no wait process.. happy cruising