OMG What Have We Done????

Less than a month after the pretty much successful Kiss Goodbye to Majesty we decided we would like a Canada cruise in September.

Last night we booked it on.......wait for it.........CARNIVAL.:eek:

The reasons are many even if the intelligence is questionable.

1) It leaves from New York so NO TSA, NO airports, NO ground transfers and NO night before hotel.

2) It is less expensive by several hundred dollars for the same balcony cabin on NCL or Royal. I consider this a mission to find out if it's also cheaper.

3) It goes where we want to go. It has been years since we went to Canada in September and we miss not seeing tall the sights we could have seen if we could have seen them through the fog.

4) Based on our one other Carnival fun ship (Victory - 2007, see my sig for that one) there will be enough disasters to make my next review truly demented. I tell people all the time that it's much harder to be funny when things go perfectly. This time I'll have an entire huge corporation working for me.

So it appears there will be another set of crazed rants and ravings in September but it will be "over there". I'll put a link here for the truly strange and weird who follow my little ramblings.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Been reading reviews of Sunshine just for fun. They are, quite typically, all over the place.

We haven't done Carnival since we did the Canada trip in 2007. Anyone reading that old screed will know what to expect in the next one. We shall see.

ROTFLMAO

Oh.....it's not THAT bad...really, it's not. We were on Carnival's Glory to Halifax and St. John. We actually had a pretty good time. What ship are you on?

Just saw your post...the Sunshine. This ship used to be called the Destiny...(pretty old ship) and was re-vamped a couple of years ago and was re-named the Sunshine. Everyone thought it was a new ship for a while.

Edited by champagne123
vvvv

You're coming to Canada?!!! We will declare it a national holiday in your honour John. To top it off you're sailing on Carnival? That review will be unforgettable. I can't wait. :)

I've been saving this image for a long time. Today is the day.

EDIT: I'm sure they are a good cruise line, but the comic is just priceless.

75e24d27614b4cd05f4a7a226e46a84b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by A&L_Ont

Been reading reviews of Sunshine just for fun. They are, quite typically, all over the place.

We haven't done Carnival since we did the Canada trip in 2007. Anyone reading that old screed will know what to expect in the next one. We shall see.

I am sure you will have a great time. We have done 3 on Carnial (one a family cruise that we did not have to pay for). They were all fun.

I was looking at them for the end of next year out of PC as they are the only line so far that is pricing lower than RCL but not sure if I can break free.:)

Less than a month after the pretty much successful Kiss Goodbye to Majesty we decided we would like a Canada cruise in September.

1) It leaves from New York so NO TSA, NO airports, NO ground transfers and NO night before hotel.

2) It is less expensive by several hundred dollars for the same balcony cabin on NCL or Royal. I consider this a mission to find out if it's also cheaper.

3) It goes where we want to go. It has been years since we went to Canada in September and we miss not seeing tall the sights we could have seen if we could have seen them through the fog.

4) Based on our one other Carnival fun ship (Victory - 2007, see my sig for that one) there will be enough disasters to make my next review truly demented. I tell people all the time that it's much harder to be funny when things go perfectly. This time I'll have an entire huge corporation working for me.

So it appears there will be another set of crazed rants and ravings in September but it will be "over there". I'll put a link here for the truly strange and weird who follow my little ramblings.

I did a Carnival cruise up the New England coast to Canada several years ago and had a lovely time! It was fabulous leaving from NY in September! It was warm there, but by the time we reached Nova Scotia, it was pretty cool and windy. So much wind, that they roped off the upper outside deck to keep people off! It was different---sailing away from Nova Scotia, a lone bagpipe player bidding us farewell, as we sailed off into the fog that was rolling in. It was beautiful, seeing the fog and lighthouse and listening to the bagpipe, but no frozen cocktails on deck on this cruise!! I was out there in a coat sipping a cappuccino!!

But one thing about sailing out of NY. We parked our car on the parking ramp right next to our ship. It was early, but they let us board almost immediately after parking our car. Once onboard, we could look down at our car parked right there--lol! And after debarkation it took us all of 10 minutes to get in car and be in the Lincoln Tunnel on our way home! And the sailing past all the skyscrapers and Statue of Liberty on our way out to sea was the best sail away ever!!

Enjoy your Fall cruise to Canada, but bring something warm to wear! 😊

I have no problem with Carnival. Food is good. We went on Sunshine & has a great time. The ship is chopped up a little, meaning you have to go to Promeande to get across the ships on some decks. MTD you have to go down a floor and get a pager, but I really liked it. Dream was my favorite Sunshine was second, going on Magic in Feb. Guys is great as well as a lot of specialty dining. You will have fun. Just remember if you do the drink package everyone in the cabin has to.

I did a Carnival cruise up the New England coast to Canada several years ago and had a lovely time! It was fabulous leaving from NY in September! It was warm there, but by the time we reached Nova Scotia, it was pretty cool and windy. So much wind, that they roped off the upper outside deck to keep people off! It was different---sailing away from Nova Scotia, a lone bagpipe player bidding us farewell, as we sailed off into the fog that was rolling in. It was beautiful, seeing the fog and lighthouse and listening to the bagpipe, but no frozen cocktails on deck on this cruise!! I was out there in a coat sipping a cappuccino!!

But one thing about sailing out of NY. We parked our car on the parking ramp right next to our ship. It was early, but they let us board almost immediately after parking our car. Once onboard, we could look down at our car parked right there--lol! And after debarkation it took us all of 10 minutes to get in car and be in the Lincoln Tunnel on our way home! And the sailing past all the skyscrapers and Statue of Liberty on our way out to sea was the best sail away ever!!

Enjoy your Fall cruise to Canada, but bring something warm to wear! 😊

The only downfall is the parking is up to $40 a day now...GRRR :mad:

You're coming to Canada?!!! We will declare it a national holiday in your honour John.

No need for that but thank you.

We have actually been to Canada many times, mostly renting houseboats on the St. Lawrence. I love Kingston and Gananoque and we have done the entire Rideau Canal up into Ottawa.

We used to especially enjoy the Rideau if only because your Parks Canada staff was such a genuine pleasure after the NY DMV. Someday I should also tell you the story of being stuck between two groups, one French and one English, in Kingston Marina with the beer cans flying over head like mortar shells.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Can't wait!

Loved the cartoon Andrew. You should go along and periscope :eek:

I could only imagine the rantings and ramblings we could have, with a few Jacks along the way. It would be a great self induced punishmnet to suffer with John, in a French Jesuit Mission type of way.

It would be even more painfull if there was no "ZOOMY" wifi.

Just be aware that the parking in Manhattan is outrageous! We thought about doing a quick, cheap 5 day trip on Carnival a few years ago. Parking quote was 40 dollars a day at the port. We decided against it.

...the Sunshine. This ship used to be called the Destiny...(pretty old ship) and was re-vamped a couple of years ago and was re-named the Sunshine.

Sailed on Sunshine when it was Destiny. It was fine -- there are no bad cruises, IMO, as long as the plumbing is working -- but it had (maybe still has) a very odd layout. The first evening hubby tried to call guest services about something and couldn't get through. They later apologized, explaining that phones were tied up because nobody could find the dining room.

As you pointed out, NYC port is a breeze to drive to and sail from. You will have a nice time. Enjoy!

kathy

No need for that but thank you.

We have actually been to Canada many times, mostly renting houseboats on the St. Lawrence. I love Kingston and Gananoque and we have done the entire Rideau Canal up into Ottawa.

We used to especially enjoy the Rideau if only because your Parks Canada staff was such a genuine pleasure after the NY DMV. Someday I should also tell you the story of being stuck between two groups, one French and one English, in Kingston Marina with the beer cans flying over head like mortar shells.

Cannons to the left of me, cannons to the right.

Kingston is known for Fort Henry, a militay fort constructed by the British, because of concerns during the British/US war of 1812. Who ever knew that you would have been dropped into a current day reenactment of one of their old battles. I can even invision where you were moored up for the night.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Just be aware that the parking in Manhattan is outrageous! We thought about doing a quick, cheap 5 day trip on Carnival a few years ago. Parking quote was 40 dollars a day at the port. We decided against it.

Thanks Lady Hudson.

I'm only about 40 miles north and I fully know the joys of Manhattan. Will probably use a car service but then again lately $280 (+ tax of courser, this IS NYC) will need to be compared with that.:D