LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Premier Sailings of the MS Koningsdam

LAFFNVEGAS

Welcome 🏡 home... so sorry you had such a homebound malfunction :( ... air travel is so unpredictable.

So glad we cruised together... stay in touch!

Thanks :) Yes we will stay in touch :) I am still thankful that Scott taught me that little trick, I had no idea lol ;)

You know how I had no or little voice that last morning, I am still that way. My voice fades in and out and for those that know me they know I have a very loud voice. It is almost funny. Maybe I am being punished for you and i talking to loud in the spa :eek::D

I probably should keep a list but will just pop in in the next several days with things I think of that was very different on the Koningsdam.

Now that I have started to regroup with getting home I am slowly getting my thoughts back together. HAL keeps sending me notices to do my on line review and actually I have not had the time and want to get my thoughts together on that as well.

Overall I loved the Koningsdam decor and the many new features. it has taken HAL quite a few years to finally get this point of not feeling like they are running 20 plus years behind the times. They truly are trying to jump into 2016 but with a 1990 mentality :o There is definitely going to be some growing pains but in the long run I think it will be good for HAL. They have needed to find their identity for many years and this new class of ship may finally help them find their way.:)

Forgive me if this has been mentioned because i know that many from those that visited on the 15 from the Amsterdam as well as those on my cruise and the pre shake down cruise but. the new Passengers Key Cards are a bit different in how you use them. While there is a magnetic strip it is not used but rather you basically just flash you card and things like your cabin door open when it appears near a little box reader near the door handle. The same thing for embarking and disembarking. There is also a bar code on the front of of the card that can be scanned. What is nice is that if you use a land yard with a plastic sleeve you DO NOT have to remove the card from the sleeve.

Another thing I found quite interesting is the limited number of receipts you are given for purchasing items, or at the bars and restaurants. I am not sure I like this because there is nothing to prove the purchase because there is nothing given to you to sign. I was really hoping that things would change as far as the specialty restaurants in being able to tip. All the other cruise lines specialty restaurants still give you a receipt and you have the options to tip additional. You are NOT given any kind of receipt at all. So you must remember to bring cash if you want to tip extra.

I just kept checking the online accounting for items being charged but each person in the cabin must register because only things I charged showed up on my on-line account and Tom had a totally separate account that we figured later we needed to check for his. I did carry my phone around on the ship and several times the charge from the bar and or Tamarind appears well before we received our drinks :D

I had mentioned on the day of disembarkation that we waited for well over 45 minutes in the Neptune for someone to show up and no one did and that we just hoped they credited our excess credit and actually they did, it appeared on Saturday to the penny so that was good.:)

Hi Lisa,

Glad you are back safe and sound! Sounds like you had a great cruise!

I ask earlier about air fare and you stated it was around $1,100. We will be doing the same itinerary as you. Was that the total pp flying LAS-ATL-FCO and returning FLL-ATL-LAS? Did you use Flexible Fares or Restricted Fares.

Guess I am still trying to figure out what's best.

It is also possible we will have round trip comp fare from LAS to FLL and back. Will HAL arrange one way tickets? We would be looking at FLL to FCO.

Hope my question made sense!

Thanks,

Sherry

Edited by Sherry H

I probably should keep a list but will just pop in in the next several days with things I think of that was very different on the Koningsdam.

Now that I have started to regroup with getting home I am slowly getting my thoughts back together. HAL keeps sending me notices to do my on line review and actually I have not had the time and want to get my thoughts together on that as well.

Overall I loved the Koningsdam decor and the many new features. it has taken HAL quite a few years to finally get this point of not feeling like they are running 20 plus years behind the times. They truly are trying to jump into 2016 but with a 1990 mentality :o There is definitely going to be some growing pains but in the long run I think it will be good for HAL. They have needed to find their identity for many years and this new class of ship may finally help them find their way.:)

Forgive me if this has been mentioned because i know that many from those that visited on the 15 from the Amsterdam as well as those on my cruise and the pre shake down cruise but. the new Passengers Key Cards are a bit different in how you use them. While there is a magnetic strip it is not used but rather you basically just flash you card and things like your cabin door open when it appears near a little box reader near the door handle. The same thing for embarking and disembarking. There is also a bar code on the front of of the card that can be scanned. What is nice is that if you use a land yard with a plastic sleeve you DO NOT have to remove the card from the sleeve.

Another thing I found quite interesting is the limited number of receipts you are given for purchasing items, or at the bars and restaurants. I am not sure I like this because there is nothing to prove the purchase because there is nothing given to you to sign. I was really hoping that things would change as far as the specialty restaurants in being able to tip. All the other cruise lines specialty restaurants still give you a receipt and you have the options to tip additional. You are NOT given any kind of receipt at all. So you must remember to bring cash if you want to tip extra.

I just kept checking the online accounting for items being charged but each person in the cabin must register because only things I charged showed up on my on-line account and Tom had a totally separate account that we figured later we needed to check for his. I did carry my phone around on the ship and several times the charge from the bar and or Tamarind appears well before we received our drinks :D

I had mentioned on the day of disembarkation that we waited for well over 45 minutes in the Neptune for someone to show up and no one did and that we just hoped they credited our excess credit and actually they did, it appeared on Saturday to the penny so that was good.:)

Lisa, (the part I bolded and in red), did you ask why this is the case and whether or not you can have the two accounts combined into one. I suspect you were using one credit card for all charges, so it seems wrong you have to check two accounts.

What happens to the OBC you each may have? Is it credited to one person or both?

I remember on one of our cruises, I noticed we had two accounts and requested they be combined. Too much trouble to be checking two accounts.

Glad you finally made it home safely. Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Lisa, (the part I bolded and in red), did you ask why this is the case and whether or not you can have the two accounts combined into one. I suspect you were using one credit card for all charges, so it seems wrong you have to check two accounts.

What happens to the OBC you each may have? Is it credited to one person or both?

I remember on one of our cruises, I noticed we had two accounts and requested they be combined. Too much trouble to be checking two accounts.

Much prefer one account for both of us. We've had them combined whenever the Front Desk sets them up separate.

What would happen with, for example, a five star and her 3 star DH, for example. In that case he is supposed to get her Mariner level rewards: how would that work with the separate accounts?

Hi Lisa,

Glad you are back safe and sound! Sounds like you had a great cruise!

I ask earlier about air fare and you stated it was around $1,100. We will be doing the same itinerary as you. Was that the total pp flying LAS-ATL-FCO and returning FLL-ATL-LAS? Did you use Flexible Fares or Restricted Fares.

Guess I am still trying to figure out what's best.

It is also possible we will have round trip comp fare from LAS to FLL and back. Will HAL arrange one way tickets? We would be looking at FLL to FCO.

Hope my question made sense!

Thanks,

Sherry

Hi Sherry, now that I am home I can pull up all my air information. We actually paid $1280.00 per person but that amount I believe includes after we upgraded to Delta Comfort Plus. We used HAL's Flexible. I would not want to use the Restricted because that is exactly what it is Restricted. It is non-refundable plus if you book it prior to final payment it must be paid in full, where Flexible is included when you make final payment.

The thing to remember about air fare is it is like playing the stock market, prices go up and down and what one person is able to purchase for may not be the same at a later date as well as flight options.

Hi Glen, I did not try to have the accounts combined, yes we were using one credit card, to be truthful we were so busy and attempting to go talk to the Concierges would have been a waste of time :rolleyes: The last night I had a credit balance and Tom owed money but in combining we still had over a $100 credit. The final morning there was just one statement with two pages one of Tom's and one for me but was combined showing the credit. To my surprise they credited our credit card quickly. We disembarked on Friday and I logged into my account on Saturday evening and the credit was already showing as pending.

Much prefer one account for both of us. We've had them combined whenever the Front Desk sets them up separate.

What would happen with, for example, a five star and her 3 star DH, for example. In that case he is supposed to get her Mariner level rewards: how would that work with the separate accounts?

I have seen this happen before and I believe that both occupants of the cabins get the benefits of who ever has a higher Mariner status. What I am not sure of is the spending Mariner credit. Say if one was a big spender/and or gambling and the other spend hardly anything would they give both the spending credit?? That I am not sure.

Which that does remind me on my Mariner Status the cruise showed up on Monday but not spending credit or Suite credit. I spoke with Mariner Society today and said that they are having problems with our sailing reporting accurately and are working with IT to fix this. They hope that with in the week it is fixed.

Hi Glen, I did not try to have the accounts combined, yes we were using one credit card, to be truthful we were so busy and attempting to go talk to the Concierges would have been a waste of time :rolleyes: The last night I had a credit balance and Tom owed money but in combining we still had over a $100 credit. The final morning there was just one statement with two pages one of Tom's and one for me but was combined showing the credit. To my surprise they credited our credit card quickly. We disembarked on Friday and I logged into my account on Saturday evening and the credit was already showing as pending.

Thanks Lisa. I'll watch out for this when we board on Nov 23rd. Might have to have a conversation with the Front Desk unless someone happens to get us a great upsell. ;)

Thanks Lisa. I'll watch out for this when we board on Nov 23rd. Might have to have a conversation with the Front Desk unless someone happens to get us a great upsell. ;)

Women else on your Saint may be fighting you for that upsell - which context clues tell me will go through the same person. ;)

I have seen this happen before and I believe that both occupants of the cabins get the benefits of who ever has a higher Mariner status. What I am not sure of is the spending Mariner credit. Say if one was a big spender/and or gambling and the other spend hardly anything would they give both the spending credit?? That I am not sure.

I believe they combine the spending for calculating the bonus for both: DH and I use separate credit cards and have different levels of spending but we have gotten the same number of days.

From the Marine FAQ:

Onboard Spending Bonus
Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus Cruise Day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill.
Edited by Boytjie

Hi Lisa,

Welcome home!! I hope you are feeling better and your lovely voice is returning. I have not been on this board FOREVER....but, I just had to log in to read your report. Thank you for all the pics, details and commentary of your Kdam cruise and European trip. I look forward to chatting soon and going over the details. I will FOR SURE want to experience this new class of ship as soon as possible. All is well ;) ......we will chat soon.

Hugs,

Wendy

Thanks for coming back and updating us on more information.

For the last several years, I have had to have the concierges on about day 2 or 3 combine our shipboard accounts even though I have filled out the information pre-cruise that everything for both of us is to be on my charge card.

I actually have no idea, was guessing phone number for emergency. Our cabin number was 7113.

That's a number so you can call the ship if there's an emergency and you won't make it, are running late, were hospitalized while out and about, etc.

Dialing another room was 0+room number. So Lisa in 7113 would be 07113

That's a number so you can call the ship if there's an emergency and you won't make it, are running late, were hospitalized while out and about, etc.
Okay, I see now that it's a number for all HAL ships, not just K'dam. I just thought it was strange to see because 321 is my area code in east-central FL!

Know Before You Go says:

Additionally, you can call the ship directly from the shore.

We recommend that you use this for the most critical

emergencies only: Connecting to a Holland America Line

vessel at sea is simple by using Ship Dial Service. A credit

card is required for all inbound phone calls to a ship. The

rate is US$16.00 per minute and billing begins at the time

specified. Please have the ship’s name, your party’s name and

stateroom number before you call.

Instructions:

1. Dial 1-800-993-5483 (US). From outside the U.S. access

1-321-837-6106.

2. Listen to the announcement.

3. Listen to the menu and select the number thcorresponds

to the ship you are calling.

4. If you receive a busy signal or message, please hang up

quickly and try your call again.

As we won't be able to punch the new cards, I'll need to pick up a couple of sleeves for our November cruise. Does anyone know if the new cards are the same size as the old ones?

Edited by Fouremco